The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 10 - Home

rick daryl merle the governor the walking dead season 3

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 10 "Home" Review (213 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (143 [67.14%] - )

67.14%

2. Good - Some Critiques (58 [27.23%] - )

27.23%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (5 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

4. Poor (7 [3.29%] - )

3.29%

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
What a tense build up to a batshit crazy ending of an episode. I didn't want it to end.

I know I should see shit like Axel's death coming but it actually surprised me when the Governor popped him in the dome. At least he saved Carol's life....

Rick is off his rocker, and someone needs to smack the shit out of him. Daryl? Merle? Carl?!? Hopefully this attack snaps him back to reality or at least gives him an outlet to focus all of his craziness on. I've always been a big Rick supporter but he needs to get his act together and quick.

The whole Daryl/Merle situation in the woods was great. Reedus and Rooker just nailed that scene.

And I for one have changed my tune, and am happy that Merle is going to be at the prison. I think he will really shine in the next few episodes. I hope he gets to inflict some pain on the Governor.

Tyreese---we need ya back already.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

And I for one have changed my tune, and am happy that Merle is going to be at the prison. I think he will really shine in the next few episodes. I hope he gets to inflict some pain on the Governor.

I hope he kills Judith and Carl. It is about damned time that the idiotic choices people are making come back to bite them in the ass.

One of the staples of zombie movies is that people do dumb things and PAY FOR THEM. This show has removed the consequences.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

I hope he kills Judith and Carl. It is about damned time that the idiotic choices people are making come back to bite them in the ass.

One of the staples of zombie movies is that people do dumb things and PAY FOR THEM. This show has removed the consequences.

I totally understand the idea of people paying for dumb mistakes - and dying for them - but isn't the premise of this show the survival of the human race after a ZA? How can we survive without future generations? The survivors are going to have to have children if the human race wants to avoid extinction. So children are going to be necessary. Don't kill Judith and Carl yet.

However, that being said, Lori, Shane and Rick - and anyone who is having unprotected sex at this point - are just stupid. They have to build a stronghold, fortify it, and begin planting crops and relearning how to live off the land before they start trying to repopulate.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members

What choices are you referring to?

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
He means allowing Merle in to prison is a big mistake but it will be swept under the rug most likely. (Which it isn't according to spoilers).

However, the group is in danger now, they need people and need to put personal differences aside. They need man power.

People in this show have paid consequences of actions. Maggie gave up the prison for her feelings of Glenn and has caused the entire problem we have now with the prison coming under attack. Rick turning Tyreese away will have bad concequences for Rick soon, and also not making sure Andrew was dead lead to Lori and TDog dying.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

I totally understand the idea of people paying for dumb mistakes - and dying for them - but isn't the premise of this show the survival of the human race after a ZA?

It doesn't seem to be.

How can we survive without future generations? The survivors are going to have to have children if the human race wants to avoid extinction. So children are going to be necessary. Don't kill Judith and Carl yet.

It is not out of illwill towards the kids, just that their deaths would hurt the group the most. Particularly Rick. Who needs to be put down.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Particularly Rick. Who needs to be put down.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
Yeah I agree that the integration of Merle into the group isn't a "smart" decision and will most likely be without as much resistance as before. But its a situation, given their current circumstances, that has to happen.

I'm just excited for Merle to have a chance at revenge against the Governor.

Spoiler

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Yeah I agree that the integration of Merle into the group isn't a "smart" decision and will most likely be without as much resistance as before. But its a situation, given their current circumstances, that has to happen.

I'm just excited for Merle to have a chance at revenge against the Governor.

Spoiler

I think "redemption" would be a little too cliche.

I'd like to see Merle working with the group, but for the purely selfish, personal reason of "getting even" with the governor. In other words, he doesn't really give a damn about the group and won't regret anything he has done to Glenn and Maggie, but will use Rick's group to try and get revenge. Instead of getting revenge, Merle will get himself killed.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members

I think "redemption" would be a little too cliche.

I'd like to see Merle working with the group, but for the purely selfish, personal reason of "getting even" with the governor. In other words, he doesn't really give a damn about the group and won't regret anything he has done to Glenn and Maggie, but will use Rick's group to try and get revenge. Instead of getting revenge, Merle will get himself killed.

Oh it is definitely cliche.

I really didn't mean redemption in the sense he asks for forgiveness or becomes a caring person, because I think we can both argee that Merle is never going to be that kind of guy. But we've seen that he has the ability to look out for and protect a group of people, so I could just see his arc coming full circle and he ends up losing his life while aiding Rick and Co. Cliche? Yes. Would I be mad? Nah.

But your take on it works too. And honestly seems like the more realistic option.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

I’ve enjoyed the last few episodes of TWD better than most of the first part of Season 3 because the pace was a bit slower, the action better balanced with scenes of character interaction. Also there was less Michonne. I was sorry to see Axel go; I was expecting it but it was still a shocker to have him shot instantly dead in front of the group. But IMO the killing of major and minor characters has lost its impact and effectiveness from overuse.

I know nothing about firearms and really, really could not care less. For me the guns (and how they are used) are just props to further the psychological drama. The Governor seems to be a sadist and perhaps preferred to do his killing slowly by walker rather than with bullets to the head. Maybe he believes that the prison people would not be able to survive, to regroup after their perimeter was destroyed. Is not this season’s arc meant the war between Woodbury and the prison?

I find crazy Rick interesting. He was clearly on the edge even as this season began and it was only a matter of time before he cracked no matter what happened. He loved Lori deeply so of course her death pushed him over the edge. Hershel, having lost two wives, is best suited to understand him.

The presence of Merle at the prison could make for interesting viewing as those who want him dead go up against those who want to use his fighting ability.

Everyone in entitled to watch or not watch anything they choose and to comment negatively or positively. In every fandom there are people who hate what they are seeing but can’t leave it alone. I don’t get it because if I don’t like a piece of entertainment, I walk away and forget about it rather than waste my time. But then I’ve not read the comics and probably never will, so my evaluation of the show is based entirely on the show.

Huge popularity is neither an indication nor a contraindication of quality; ratings are the only indicator AMC cares about. There’s no doubt that TWD’s ratings are very high right now but that means nothing except for right now. Remember Heroes?

A while back BackWoodsRoamer posted that the first two season of TWD kept him glued to the television but this season if his dog wanted to play, he recorded the episode and went out with her. Loved that. It's how I feel - still watching, still interested, still lurking, but not nearly as engaged.

That's how i feel. It's good drama, but some of the scenes are bad, and the writers don't seem to notice or care.

The scenes with Merle and Daryl are great, the rescue of the Latino family was awesome. Keep it real TWD writers, and less of woodbury and human vs human

Jasonicus

Jasonicus

Infected

• Members
I kind of feel the same. The show came back and I just DVR'd it. I finally watched the first two episodes last night. This one was better than the last but they need to allow Rick to get over this shit already. His actions are a bit absurd.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Well that isn't going to happen. You're making up scenarios. A look in to next episode reveals no gun fighting occurs. Your theory - out the window.

Personally, I don't care for gun fights, or like them in any movie/TV show much. Gun fights dont interest me and never have. Most times people use a gun wrong, use a wrong gun, make very unlikely shots etc - and guess what? I don't care. I'm over it. Yes I'd prefer people don't use shotguns like sniper rifles etc, but it wont ruin my interest in a show totally. Get over yourselves with the "high standard" stuff. We all want it, I see no end of "nitpicks" on TV/film but you know what - I don't log on forums and cry about it week after week. I HATE Star Wars prequels and don't think I ever bothered to chat about them on any forums. If you are done with the show, like Not_Undead (who wont be posting in season 3 anymore, since he has done with the show now), just go. There is nothing wrong with discussing a shows flaws but some people just constantly go on and on.

People can take critisms, I have critisised episodes 5-7 especially, and definitley didn't like the way Lori's body was disposed of, or the whole graves being dug/filled, Carol just assumed dead without really looking for her etc. I also doubt Michonne would be standing after having her head smashed in to a fishtank.. But for the most part the show is enjoyable and you can't expect everything to be perfect and to your liking. You liked the Daryl/Merele out in the woods scenes - but actually I found that the least interesting segment of the whole episode.

I like you, want to see the group out surviving, as opposed to taking part in warfare like scenarios. I still wish the series opened with the group out on the road for longer. But therei s only so much aimless roaming/survival you can do and keep it interesting before you need to focus the show on some form of plot. I loved Atlanta out in the open using the RV etc. But this is the prison point in the programme now and I have the ability to be patient and enjoy what I can from the show. It isn't half as bad as you are making it out to be, but I do think season 1 and 2 were better overall.

Season 3 overall is exciting and I think prison setting is really good, but having a "big bad villain"Woodbury splitting screen time has sort detracted from the feeling of season 1/2. Season 3 really is most comic book like of the series, but it is based upon them...so some of that is going to come through in it to be honest. People moaned Suicide King was boring/slow, but to me it felt like an episode from season 2 on the farm (which I liked, I enoyed season 2).

Either watch the show and enjoy what you can and discuss some flaws - but if the show is nothing but flaw week after week it is probably time you stopped watching and stop going on forums about it. I sure know if the show was upsetting me as much as it does you I'd not even waste my time watching/going to forums about it.

Ok then, if there's no A-Team style shootings the rest of this season I will be very happy.

And I hope that the rest of the episodes arent a downer for me. I really enjoyed TWD up 'til the last 2 episodes. But I just can't for the life of me get over the firefights and Rick's "ham" acting.
I feel that the writers have gotten themselves too comfortable and think that they can show us the same repetitive stuff week after week and they will gain millions more viewers.

But hey, like McDonalds, people like eating junk food. It's crap and full of really bad chemicals and no nutrients but taste darn yummy.

Ricktatorship

Ricktatorship

S-mart Employee

• Members
rick will see the extent of the damage and will call Tyreese and co. to fight and he may call Merle

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

That's how i feel. It's good drama, but some of the scenes are bad, and the writers don't seem to notice or care.

The scenes with Merle and Daryl are great, the rescue of the Latino family was awesome. Keep it real TWD writers, and less of woodbury and human vs human

Human vs. human is where it's going to be from here on out.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

Oh it is definitely cliche.

I really didn't mean redemption in the sense he asks for forgiveness or becomes a caring person, because I think we can both argee that Merle is never going to be that kind of guy. But we've seen that he has the ability to look out for and protect a group of people, so I could just see his arc coming full circle and he ends up losing his life while aiding Rick and Co. Cliche? Yes. Would I be mad? Nah.

But your take on it works too. And honestly seems like the more realistic option.

It's the "Darth Vader" ending. He's going to die protecting his brother.

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

It's the "Darth Vader" ending. He's going to die protecting his brother.

How disturbing would it be if Merle told Daryl 'I am your father'?

Ew.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Huge popularity is neither an indication nor a contraindication of quality; ratings are the only indicator AMC cares about. There’s no doubt that TWD’s ratings are very high right now but that means nothing except for right now. Remember Heroes?

A while back BackWoodsRoamer posted that the first two season of TWD kept him glued to the television but this season if his dog wanted to play, he recorded the episode and went out with her. Loved that. It's how I feel - still watching, still interested, still lurking, but not nearly as engaged.

+1...I completely agree. Everyone saying "the ratings are up though" doesn't mean anything as far as the quality of the show goes. Who knows what has made this season catch on so much. Maybe just word of mouth finally got around enough.

And I absolutely agree about somehow the show just not keeping my attention this year as much as it did season 1 and 2. I never thought season 2 was boring or slow at all, so maybe that is one reason I don't care for the new pace. Another factor is that I feel that we are just losing too many main characters. I'm one of those people who get attached to the characters I meet in the first season, and it was extremely hard for me to be OK with losing Shane and Dale, and now Lori and T-Dog. Who else is going to go from Rick's group? I get that people die in the apocalypse, but it seems like they are just burning through the actors, just like they are burning through the storyline. We didn't even get a chane to really decide how we felt about Axel, Oscar, etc. before they were already dead. I don't mind the crazy Rick storyline, because I feel like at least one character is getting a slower treatment.

I still love the show, but when I want to rewatch episodes, it is always season 1 or 2 that I go for. Maybe that is why quite a few of the earlier members seem to have disappeared, or at least come on less frequently, now?

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
Had a thought about those wishing the group would move on outside and beyond the prison/woodbury and be on the road. Surviving and fighting zombies and bad people along the way. Understand a bit of human sociology and you'll find that these are unlikely traits of most people. A few would wander the country side in a ZA and being on their own, hooking up with small bands of survivors for a little while before moving on... probably a lot like Michonne. Humans are a gregarious lot and most of us cannot stand being alone, particularly in a dangerous world such as TWD universe has become. There are still millions of walkers out there and the threat is ever constant. But staying in one place, clearing out the dead best as you can, makes your particular spot a little bit safer. Hole up and wait it out and survive the best you can.
However like the Gov. said to his people, "others want what we have." It's far easier to steal than it is to scrounge. In a survival situation one will attempt anything to maintain their present status quo... being alive.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members

Ok then, if there's no A-Team style shootings the rest of this season I will be very happy.

And I hope that the rest of the episodes arent a downer for me. I really enjoyed TWD up 'til the last 2 episodes. But I just can't for the life of me get over the firefights and Rick's "ham" acting.
I feel that the writers have gotten themselves too comfortable and think that they can show us the same repetitive stuff week after week and they will gain millions more viewers.

But hey, like McDonalds, people like eating junk food. It's crap and full of really bad chemicals and no nutrients but taste darn yummy.

Next weeks episode doesn't involve any gun fighting, but I am sure towards the end of the season more action will occur. I understand what you mean - like I say, Human vs Human gun fights aren't my real interest with this show. I like the survival aspect even if its slow paced "farm soap opera" like material to be honest. I like action now and again and the current situation is still about survival, but not quite the form I enjoy seeing as much. The Woodbury assualt did nothing for me, but I could understand and accept it for what it is worth and what it is plotting. I enjoyed the attack on the prison more than episode 8.

I thought episodes after Killer Within began a new age for Walking Dead to be honest, the show felt a little different to me. We've lost so many Atlanta/original cast members now as well. It is good, but it is bad also. I just hope we dont lose anymore this season. I felt episode 9 was nice, and episode 10 seemed nice enough too. But if we lose Carol/Herschel I am just afraid the shows going to be too "youthful" with a cast of "slayers" and it wil become a bit too much.

Nike+

Nike+

Infected

• Members
  • LocationWaterloo,IL

Ew.

Double Ew

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

Ew.

It's plausible.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Ah, GOT, I guarantee that after watching a few episodes of the new season it will literally kill TWD. Episode 3 of TWD looks cheap and a little bit sad when compared to GoT. If the new Got is utterly devastatingly wonderful then its goodnight Vienna for TWD.

TWD needs to seriously pull aces out of their sleeve for the rest of the season if they are gonna keep their loyal fans.

Do I hate TWD? Nope, I saw some good scenes, some "diamonds in the rough", Merle and Daryl's scenes were exciting, fresh and watchable. The dialogue between Carol and Axel was great.

But then the show is being ruined with Rick going crazy, (c'mon Rick's acting and the story is crap). The assault on the prison was pathetic Even the admin here are calling it "A-Team" style.

The Walkers are now secondary to the show and really seem to be more of an annoyance than as a threat to the survival of mankind.

My calculations may be wrong but I think the season finale for TWD is the same night as GoT premiere. LOL AMC better hope for ratings purposes that it isn't on the same time. I can't say for sure at this point which one I would watch. I've never been so antsy for a new season of a show before so given what we've seen this season from TWD, I'm leaning towards GoT.

I don't hate TWD either, far from it. I am definitely able to turn off my brain and just enjoy it for what it is worth but if I am taking my time to actually discuss the show, Im going to be critical of it too. I like Andrew Lincoln's acting, even crazy, I just think they would have been better off keeping with the phone call story line, the hallucinations are what's killing it. I even though Daryl's hallucination of Merle in S2 was too much. While the gun scenes bother me, they don't as much as I don't know a terrible amount about guns. Just basic logic of if there is gunfire going off all around, you are probably going to get hit, and not getting hit standing in the open isn't realistic.

I'm really disappointed they got rid of Axel though, he was refreshing to have in the show. I mean if anything he could have moved last minuted/tripped and gotten hit in the shoulder. Would have still been as surprising that the prison was under attack.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Maybe all the behinde the sceen shuffeling is the reason for the episode(s) catering to much to the "action" genre, but then again you can't have a 'War" without gunfire and casualties. I hope they find a good balance between the 2. I really hope the new character they add makes it to season 4.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
I find it surprising how Carol was going to die episode 4. Then Axle was meant to be here longer - then they kill him a day after telling him how much they hope to develop him. I honestly would have thought the seasons/episodes would be planned out in advanced more.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!