The Walking Dead Issue #164 Review

- - - - - Issue 164 Review Maggie Carl Rick Negan

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont
Welcome y'all!

Issue 164 doesn't actually release until midnight which is 2 hours from now for me but why not post the review thread now?

I'm going to go ahead and give a prediction rating of 7/10.

Ttyl!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

7 of 10 is about accurate.

Story driven issue, no deaths, and immense stupidity. Instead of fleeing Alexandria the horde surrounds them like No Way Out 2.0. Althought there has been success leading the horde away, the upcoming Savior fight will surely draw them back to Alexandria.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

6/10

Carl gathering the hilltop people is foreshadowing him becoming a leader.

Rick will never forgive Negan or trust him 100% hell I still aint sure I trust Negan.

Seems like the time jump was longer than 2 years the timeline dont match up with peoples ages.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

I'd give this issue a 7/10 as well.

I liked the character development this issue, especially between Rick & Negan, even though Rick was almost all but refusing to talk to Negan after he saved Rick and they hunkered down in that room together to wait out the herd. It was good to see Heath get some panel time as well. I feel like it's been a while since he's even said anything. I liked the development of him reflecting on the loss of his leg and how being a horserider makes him feel complete. Siddiq and the people he was with going into Eugene's house and finding the radio will definitely set things up for Rick finding out about the Ohio group once everything with the herd and Sherry and her band of assholes are dealt with. Also, we definitely got some foreshadowing of Carl being a leader. I wonder how much actual damage Sherry and her crew will actually be able to do. Obviously Alexandria and Hilltop residents will be taken off guard, so some people are probably going to die. I wonder if Negan or Dwight will kill Sherry?

moop420

moop420

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationInside Andrea's Short Shorts

5/10, and that is solely because of Negan...

If you would have asked me after issue 100 if I ever thought Negan would be the only reason I would keep reading the TWD 60-some issues later I would say no fucking way but that's pretty much what it boils down to for me because the comic has become so tainted by the suck that is now the TV show.

I don't understand at all what the Saviors game is. So they were all along basically just a bunch of assholes that Negan was sort of keeping in line? Why are they unquestionably following Sherry or whatever the hell her name is, and how and when did she transform from simply being Negan's floozy to Queen Cunt Cersei Lannister knock-off.

Whatever happened to those silly dickbags from the Kingdom that rode out a few issues back?

Where's Sophia?

Does Lydia just not give a shit about her mom? (maybe I'm forgetting something there)

Negan was wrong about all of the weak people being dead...apparently all of the pussies left in the world reside in Alexandria. I would think that after 4 years or more of living in this nightmare world that people wouldn't just piss their pants and flee immediately when the gate was broken. But then again, that wouldn't jive the stated mission of making Rick look like the only dude in the world capable of leading decent people and standing up the zombie menace.

Most of all I wonder which plotline RK is going to rehash next...

I actually enjoyed most of the Whisperers arc but these last 3 issues have pretty much done nothing except remind me why I stopped watching the TV show.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members

If you would have asked me after issue 100 if I ever thought Negan would be the only reason I would keep reading the TWD 60-some issues later I would say no fucking way but that's pretty much what it boils down to for me because the comic has become so tainted by the suck that is now the TV show.

I don't understand at all what the Saviors game is. So they were all along basically just a bunch of assholes that Negan was sort of keeping in line? Why are they unquestionably following Sherry or whatever the hell her name is, and how and when did she transform from simply being Negan's floozy to Queen Cunt Cersei Lannister knock-off.

Does Lydia just not give a shit about her mom? (maybe I'm forgetting something there)

Most of all I wonder which plotline RK is going to rehash next...

agreed! but than again used to hate michonne too...

yupp and negsy was just king of the assholes. lol apparently she got tired of fucking leaders and decided to become one.

lydia should hate her mom considering alpha let men rape lydia, repeatedly.

hopefuly not the dexter walking clearing plotline.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members

i thought the last two issues were better than the entire whisperer war, feels like its finally building up to something better and it makes the anticlimatic ww worth it. im actually looking forward to the next issue.

i cant wait til sherry dies.

yay for carl becoming a leader but lets hope he doesnt get them killed than again maybe that could serve as the greatest lesson about leading when pwople's lives are in the balance.

8.5/10

Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

solid issues but goddamn these 'threats' dont really feel much like threats. They're resolving issues just as fast as they're introducing new ones.

Whisperers? Wow this could be trouble!

Oh nevermind....

Holy fucking shit, that's a LOT of zombies! surely this'll fuck shit up?

Oh ok...they have it completely under control...

Oops here come the saviors again!

At this point i wouldn't be surprised if the saviors don't do jack shit and get killed off by the herd.

I guess my prediction is there'll be a standoff between the saviors and everyone else. 'Oh shit, will Negan go back to his old gang?'

and he ends up showing that he's seriously with Rick and co now, only to get cut down by the Saviors or some shit.

on a side note: oh boy more 'Rick Grimes is so damn perfect in everyone's eyes' 

'I was an awful man Rick, but YOU! You made me see The Light!'

moop420

moop420

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationInside Andrea's Short Shorts

agreed! but than again used to hate michonne too...

yupp and negsy was just king of the assholes. lol apparently she got tired of fucking leaders and decided to become one.

lydia should hate her mom considering alpha let men rape lydia, repeatedly.

hopefuly not the dexter walking clearing plotline.

I totally agree that Lydia should hate her mom but I find it curious there has been no mention of Alpha either to or by her during the entire course of the conflict. Not even when she was in combat and talking with the one Whisperer did it even get mentioned.

And there's another thread going on about this but I also feel that we the reader could have used a solid 12 issues after AOW showing a sort time-lapse rebuilding of society and laying out the different alliances and grievances between the different groups because from where I'm sitting Rick hasn't wronged either the Kingdom (LARPing weaklings) or the Sanctuary (group he had a brutal war with in the recent past) to the extent where treason and war seem believable, especially after 2 to 4 years of apparently working together without known incident.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Kirkman is not on his A-game anymore.........just saying. 

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

Hasn't been since 2012-2013. That was when season 3 of the tv show shit the bed and he took the direction of All Out War into something that still causes issues to this day in the book: the time jump

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

I totally agree that Lydia should hate her mom but I find it curious there has been no mention of Alpha either to or by her during the entire course of the conflict. Not even when she was in combat and talking with the one Whisperer did it even get mentioned.

First, sorry that you have a -1 on your post. I tried tapping the quote button and actually clicked the down vote thanks to the small screen of my tablet.

Second, there was actually a little bit of dialogue between the Whisperer that Lydia was talking with at the end of issue 160. He said that her mother has fallen, but she might have actually taken that in a different direction rather than Alpha dying. Who knows, really.

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members

Two weeks ago I said to my friend "I want Negan and Rick to bond". Guess I got what I wish for, sort of. 

Honestly I can't tell if Kirkman "planned" (I don't believe writers plan anything years in advance, that's just lies they tell, like George Lucas having the prequels planned...) for Negan to be a recurring/main character or he just kept him alive because of popularity tho... either way I'm happy.

Negan is just too good.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

This was an okay issue. I was expecting a major death or something, but nothing really happened and the way it feels now to me is that by the time the Saviors get there, the zombies will all but be cleared out, and the community will easily fight them off and capture them. 

I think that for the sake of this comic, the Eugene Radio storyline needs to wrap things up. It's been a great run but we can only rehash certain things so many times, and put our group in danger so many times before it becomes a complete mockery of itself and past storylines. Many have already echoed that sentiment.

We're seeing an older, stronger, leader Carl. Things with Negan are resolved and at this point it would feel really lame and stupid to un-do everything and have him turn on Rick and Co. He had his chances and his moments, to pull a random 360 now would be akin to Dumpstergate on the show, as in that it would feel stupid and unnecessary. 

Rick is old and quickly becoming irrelevant at this point. The group has been through everything. I'm not sure what the plan is for the radio storyline, but that's gotta be it in my eyes. We've been through it all and if they get past this mega herd (Which it's looking like they will) then they've essentially accomplished everything they set out to do. 

My guess is Kirkman wants to make it to issue 200. I think this would give him plenty of time to wrap this storyline up, place some filler, start the radio storyline and wrap it up, with some filler along the way, and call it a day. 

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Yeah Kirkman...

maxresdefault.jpg

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Hasn't been since 2012-2013. That was when season 3 of the tv show shit the bed and he took the direction of All Out War into something that still causes issues to this day in the book: the time jump

that time jump was inevitable. it needed to happen. the problem is Kirkman. ever pays attention to detail and it seems he and everyone else forgets what happened issues earliar.

my biggest peeve is the ASZ was protected the best way it could have been. a maze of cars among other few things.

I would have preferred a bonus issue or two of how all the communities changed. RK does handle things in a bad way. it doesn't matter because people still buy his comic.

we have no idea what's happening with the kingdom. I figure the current leader will die and the new one may possibly join the savoirs which will be a big turn of events. also, i figure it won't but it would be a huge shake up.

Negan has had his development which means it's time for him to go. I also see Carl's charge in leadership backfire and cause more harm than good. if the savoirs still attack then something must have went awry.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

really, if they take out the megaherd then DC and the immediate area would have to be almost completely devoid of zombies at that point. 

The No Way Out herd

the one they sent after the Saviors in All Out War

And this one, with thousands and thousands of zombies

Combined with the hundreds they've killed in between those events since arriving at ASZ...there really shouldn't be that many left after this huh?

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

They will probably kill or chase the ones that are directly treatening them, but it will takes months to do any real cleaning in a wide area. Also, it won't prevent some others to come later. And anyone who dies, no matter how, will become one of them. They might overcome the undead issue, but never outright remove it.

abenzin

abenzin

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBills Country

Decent issue. Really enjoyed the interactions between Rick and Negan. Rick hit a soft spot with Negan, which makes me think he will respect Rick that much more. Enjoyed the interactions between Heath and Eugene too. The Euge is gonna have some explaining to do when Rick finds out about his radio. It also amazes me that after that massive ocean of dead swept through the only casualty was Paula? Woulda thought at least a few more people would've went down in all that chaos.

You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNew Zealand

I enjoyed this issue.  I thought the Rick/Negan talk was great and I enjoyed seeing them work together. I would have liked to have seen more of the whisperers amongst the walkers though.  Maybe they could have been opening doors or the likes and letting the herd into houses?  Did we even see a whisperer in Alexandria at all?  (I read online so I can't flick back to check).  It feels a little like an opportunity went begging, given the size of the herd, so I am in agreement with Dead Gov Walking in that problems seem to end a little anti-climatically.

Still a good issue though and I look forward to the next one :)

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont
Since 163 revoew

I'm confused... WHY did people think Rick didn't tell his people about the herd? Did you not remember Dwight asking him about their plans with the Whisperer's herd in 157? Rick literally said it would sound like an ocean. They all clearly knew, but they were just taken aback by the attack of it so quickly after Dwight's army came back. Dwight and co. just didn't know the numbers when battling the Whisperers.

Some people need to think and look back before they say something...

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont
Not only that, but Rick was planning something in #159 to do something about the herd.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Since 163 revoew

I'm confused... WHY did people think Rick didn't tell his people about the herd? Did you not remember Dwight asking him about their plans with the Whisperer's herd in 157? Rick literally said it would sound like an ocean. They all clearly knew, but they were just taken aback by the attack of it so quickly after Dwight's army came back. Dwight and co. just didn't know the numbers when battling the Whisperers.

Some people need to think and look back before they say something...

he didn't tell anyone really anything. we never got a speech. we never got any proof he told anyone anything. all we know he told those who were close to him. Dwight didn't even know the numbers. so Rick really didn't tell anyone shit.

he wanted to keep it under control and it cost him. not only that but no communication between that or Hilltop could cost them both their homes. so there's that

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!