- - - - - Issue 162 Rick Carl Andrea Negan Beta Review

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont
Chat away.

:/

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont
There will be spoilers, so beware what I will put at the bottom.

( tablet, and there is no option to add a spoiler button)

Rick says he is 38. He was 29 when the apocalypse started. He has to be wrong dude. No way.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

There will be spoilers, so beware what I will put at the bottom.

( tablet, and there is no option to add a spoiler button)

Rick says he is 38. He was 29 when the apocalypse started. He has to be wrong dude. No way.

wiki says he was 34 when it started.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

*yawn*

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

abenzin

abenzin

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBills Country

Geez, what a snooze-fest. Disappointing to say the least

You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members

Why make it a six-issue event if it's not even going to end properly? Or is the War over but now it's just about surviving against a massive horde? Come on...

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
at this point they should have done 6 issues in 3 months like AOW.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

In Letterhacks Kirkman says that the time jump was more than 2 years, to account for how old Carl actually is apparently. Meh. Pretty anticlimactic ending to this arc. It seems like the fireworks are actually going to happen in the next two issues with the horde mowing over Alexandria. 

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

i had no problem with the arc until now

all build up with no payoff

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

one of the worst issues ever....

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Nick_FM

Nick_FM

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationU.S.A.

The problem was marketing these six issues as this big war. It was very anti-climatic, but I still liked it overall. I just want to see some mayhem next month. Shake things up.

I also read that Rick was 29 when it all started too. Was he just joking with her? Like "No I'm not 40...I'm 38 *wink* "

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

I honestly don't even know what to make of this. I loved the issue itself, but not as a CONCLUSION to a war.

Hopefully Beta gets fucked hard if/when the Kingdom and the Hilltop cross paths with him on the way to Alexandria. If not, well, at least the next arc might make up for it? /wishful thinking

Pickles312

Pickles312

Lurker

• Members

Insanely disappointing. Nothing important happened in this issue. Nothing was introduced that we didn't already know. Ridiculous excuse for a finale. I didn't need the arc to end with this issue, but I needed something important to change. And I didn't get it.

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members

Well, maybe we should stop thinking of stories as 6-parts and think this as part of a big book (the compendium). Sure, Kirkman knows the story is sold in 6-part volumes, so he should write it accordingly, but I'm pretty sure if someone binge-reads the issues a couple of years from now, they won't care how this "finale" ended, because it's just not a finale overall, the story will continue on the next issue. Does that help anyone?

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

Well, maybe we should stop thinking of stories as 6-parts and think this as part of a big book (the compendium). Sure, Kirkman knows the story is sold in 6-part volumes, so he should write it accordingly, but I'm pretty sure if someone binge-reads the issues a couple of years from now, they won't care how this "finale" ended, because it's just not a finale overall, the story will continue on the next issue. Does that help anyone?

That's pretty much how I feel about it. When I re-read it in Compendium 4, I will probably be much more pleased. I honestly do think the next 6-12 issues are going to be much more significant than TWW.

ZombieMojo

ZombieMojo

S-mart Employee

• Members

giphy.gif

I liked it.

"You can breathe... you can blink... you can cry.. you're ALL going to be doing a lot of that."

ZombieMojo

ZombieMojo

S-mart Employee

• Members

♫On the road again♫

Possibly in separate directions, possibly with separate storylines that may or may not converge again in the future.

'zwat I'd do, anyway.

"You can breathe... you can blink... you can cry.. you're ALL going to be doing a lot of that."

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

This is generally how I've always viewed it. All of the past arcs are pretty fluid to me -- beginning with their initial setup, and concluding with their final resolution. I like to have the arcs overlap each other to varying degrees -- it prevents the formulaic tendencies that the show frequently falls victim to, where each arc is quite distinctive, and rarely has effect on stories outside of its own block of episodes.

My problem is with Kirkman continuing to market arcs as six-issue blocks. If even he's now treating arcs as entries in a larger story that stretches beyond six issues, then it's time to ditch the six issue marketing scheme. Volumes can still be bundles as six issue collections, but don't promise audiences a completed arc in that volume. I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought The Whisperers War as a six issue volume, only to read it and uncover that ridiculously little occurs that actually advances the plot, or the characters that I care about (William and Lydia are pretty much the only characters to develop).

Beta is still out there, and his larger herd is still approaching. Sherry has not yet attacked, and Eugene's bullets have not be used. The Kingdom's relationship with Alexandria is still strained. Those things are not setup for the next arc, they're the content of this one. Those are stories that ate up significant amounts of time in this arc, and were left hanging from bridge. What resolutions there were were red herrings for the end of conflict. This is not a completed arc, and yet it's being marketed as such.

Perhaps this is more of a 12-18 issue arc. That's fine. Just be honest with me.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

It's not that it was a bad issue. Content wise it was fine, and will read well in later compendiums.

The problem is reading this by volume and expecting to read an actual war. Only one named character died and the highlights consisted of an inanimate object dying, the Hilltop burning which was spoiled in advance, and the ending which was cool. But it feels like the real war is just now starting. Making it a 12 issue war would've made more sense.

Given the circumstances, the issue itself is disappointing despite actually not being a terrible issue itself. If that makes sense.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

bdizzle1686

bdizzle1686

Lurker

• Members
Seems like Kirkman has a real chubby for Scott Gimples "storytelling style"... All build up, no pay off, and a stupid lazy fuckin cliffhanger. I know every issue is a cliff hanger, BUT this is the 1st time I've honestly gotten the exact same feeling of disgust I get when I watch the show...

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

I liked it *shrug*

I actually got kind of emotional at the first page when Negan said "I'm sorry I named a stupid fucking bat after you." I don't know if this was revealed in his backstory comic but it was news to me

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

I was re-reading the whole story arc (in issues of course) and I remembered in #157 that Eugene reveals to Stephanie that he is on the East Coast near D.C. Could this mean that when the Ocean o' Roamers attack, she could bring her people to hopefully help out?

wiki says he was 34 when it started.

Wiki said he was 29. due to the script book. Then, they decided to go "fuck that" and went with 34, yet we have never heard of him being 34 at all. So yeah. I sent Kirkman a letter regarding this, but who knows on the possibility of it getting published and knowing the official answer.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

I will never not get a little happy when Rick dons 'The Jacket'

lol

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Huh. I want to drive a big rig through those suckers. 

Writers Room: "So like this time, instead of just hundreds of zombies.... there will be like.. THOUSANDS." 

"Sounds amazing Mr. Kirkman!"

Frankly I was hoping for a ton more Whisperers or like, the Nemesis from Resident Evil 3. 

So far I have to agree with most of the other posters that this arc has been rather disappointing. Father Gabriel clumsily dying, and the only real highlight is Negan losing his baseball bat and us learning that he named it after some woman he presumedly loved, meh.. 

The only way this pays off at this point is if the groups all split up and honestly never get back together. Like Rick and Carl don't ever meet back up, or if they do one of them is already dead or dying. 

Is this just like, it? A herd so big that no group can stop it in the USA? Just an unstoppable tornado of rotting flesh? Clearly the ammo Eugene made isn't enough, they're utterly outnumbered and no defenses they have will hold up against that group of walkers. 

Predictions on where they end up next? I'm guessing with Eugenes radio buddy, at least some of them. I imagine quite a few are going to die trying to escape this tornado.

Big prediction: Rick finally dies. He just commented on how he's "old" .. his leg is injured so he won't be able to move quickly to push through the zombies, and based on the responses from everyone the comic is getting stale. Time for one of the biggest deaths ever in comic history to occur I think. Maybe Negan just watches it happen and could have prevented it but doesn't. 

Rick also says quietly to himself "Then what are we doing?"   I think this is significant. I've now convinced myself Rick is dying next issue or shortly after it. 

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I think at this point between the time jump they screwed a lot of stuff up. you can't have an end war then say 2 yrs later and have Carl look 14-17. then backtrack and say it was more.

i didn't mind a time jump is was eventually gonna have to happen. i would have liked an issue where we saw panels of the communities before during and after the changes and time moving along.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!