The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 10 - Home

rick daryl merle the governor the walking dead season 3

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 10 "Home" Review (213 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (143 [67.14%] - )

67.14%

2. Good - Some Critiques (58 [27.23%] - )

27.23%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (5 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

4. Poor (7 [3.29%] - )

3.29%

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Don't get used to it. Keep your standards high, don't give them a pass for dumbing down the quality of the show... the more complacent we become about things like that the more things like that will become the norm. The creators of the show should strive for excellence and we should accept nothing less than excellence from them; not just say "oh I'm used to it" when it's clear the creators aren't even trying.

Well then I would have probably checked out of the show early on. I don't give them a pass because I'm being complacent, I just understand that unrealistic gun battles and such are part of the deal. If they went full on realistic with the gun scenes then no way they get off that farm or clear that prison. Every character would be dead by now.

But I understand where you are coming from. I've had my critical moments of the show for sure.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Don't get used to it. Keep your standards high, don't give them a pass for dumbing down the quality of the show... the more complacent we become about things like that the more things like that will become the norm. The creators of the show should strive for excellence and we should accept nothing less than excellence from them; not just say "oh I'm used to it" when it's clear the creators aren't even trying.

Thanks, at last someone other than me can see that this show has lost it's edge.

Remember the scene when Shane and Rick went out on their road trip, ended up fighting each other. Well, remember the scene with the odd looking walker out there on his own walking through the field? And Shane just zoned out staring at the walker as they drove past, and the awesome music. Wow, that's what I want to see, real cult TV, edgy, great music, some awesome drama.

And now all we have is A-Team style gun battles and lame writing.

Bring on Game of Thrones. Sadly once, the "millions" start watching GoT, TWD will look like it really was directed by the A-Team writers.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

I have an idea that nobody has mentioned here yet: Is it possible that maybe it was Ben or Alan that were in the tower and were responsible for the truck breaking through the gate?

I still like the show. When this last episode was over, it was too soon, and I am impatient for the next episode.

That being said, there are things that are bothering me about this show.

The Mexican family on the bridge. It was a good scene, but wth. It's like they were a plot convenience just to move Daryl and Merle back to the prison. We're almost a year into the ZA, so how did people who are so blatantly inept manage to survive for so long and seemingly intact? (Another thing, total nitpick, but either I'm crazy or Daryl's tattoo was on the right side of his back and then it was on the left side of his back.???)

Rick's craziness to me is forced. They are in massive danger, and the logical thing to do would be to forify their position, but there's no excitement in that, so let's have Rick start hallucinating again so he'll be outside the fence, it gives Herschal a reason to be standing out in the open, people can be at loose ends (another thing that bothers me, leader or not, Rick is not the only one who has been surviving the ZA, why are these people so clueless?). Same with the fighting between Maggie and Glenn, it serves the purpose to separate them at a crucial time, but otherswise seems a little ridiculous. They're in a ZA, so Maggie showed her boobs and got groped for a minute, not something you wish would happen, but things could have been a lot worse. I could see her being ticked at Glenn, but the pouting? They don't have the luxury for that, and people who had really survived this long with the dangers they have been facing would know that and act accordingly. If they want to portray Rick as crazy, fine, but make it real. Have him yelling at Shane and Lori to get down and throw them a gun or something when the shooting starts instead of oh, now he's lucid.

As far as the shooting, I find the missing more realistic than the hitting everything that moves. I just watched a reality cop show where one man was killed, one man was shot in the leg, 30 to 40 shell casings were recovered, and there were at least five people involved. All of this took place in pretty close quarters. On the other hand, all the weapons involved were handguns.

So Rick's group are suddenly terrible shots now when for almost every season they've been double tapping headshots like it's going out of style.

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
My main problem is the inconsistency with the guns. Close to 100% accuaracy when its comes to putting down walkers with handguns. What? Like 10% during human gun battles with automatic weapons.

:smiley-confused002:

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

laughingdead

laughingdead

S-mart Employee

• Members

Great episode.

Team Rick can't shoot.

I'm pissed at Rick for missing Martinez.

Team Rick can't shot but it looked to me like he miss Martinize on purpose. Watch where he puts the cross hairs in the scope. Death wish maybe?

Shane is the Man

Shane is the Man

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Thanks, at last someone other than me can see that this show has lost it's edge.

Remember the scene when Shane and Rick went out on their road trip, ended up fighting each other. Well, remember the scene with the odd looking walker out there on his own walking through the field? And Shane just zoned out staring at the walker as they drove past, and the awesome music. Wow, that's what I want to see, real cult TV, edgy, great music, some awesome drama.

Bring on Game of Thrones. Sadly once, the "millions" start watching GoT, TWD will look like it really was directed by the A-Team writers.

God, I love that scene.

Yo soy guajiro y carretero, y en el campo vivo bien, porque el campo es el Eden, mas lindo del mundo entero. 

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

Team Rick can't shot but it looked to me like he miss Martinize on purpose. Watch where he puts the cross hairs in the scope. Death wish maybe?

That was actually one of the most realistic things of that scene. In real life, soldiers don't aim the center of their crosshair on their targets either. Not at long range. I'm no expert, but I know it has to do with velocity, wind and the kickback of the weapon.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Season 2 had some bad writing too and it didn't feel like an apocalypse... it just felt like a soap opera on a farm. There was no suspense, sense of dread or impending doom, just 13 episodes of Lori being a bitch and Rick being a pussy. Season 1 really had atmosphere to it, it was tense and the tone was very much apocalyptic, the characters felt real and smart. Then season 2 came and it was half a season of looking for a noncharacter that no one cared about only for her to be dead the whole time. The second half of the season was based on a ridiculous scenario that required Rick being an idiot and making contrived decisions. then they dragged it out for like 6 episodes of Rick crying about what to do only to ultimately not do a damn thing about it either way.

This show really went down hill after season 1 and it's sad because it has a LOT of potential. I read the comics during the midseason break of season 2 and it didn't take me long to realize how much better they are. People talk about how the show has had all this character development when the truth is it hasn't had much if any for most of the characters. The comics actually present the characters consistently as smart people doing their best at the end of the world, while the show has characters making contrived idiotic choices that would only serve to make their own lives harder just to further the plot... it's a wreck. And all the lazy character writing is compounded by the fact that they have the source material available to them... how hard is it to write something that has ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN?

After a great first season and after reading the comics I hold this show to high standards and really want it to live up to it's potential and it could if the writers just tried even a little. This is a show about the end of the world and dumbing it down for TV is really ruining the story. If I judge this show harshly it's only because I want it to be the great show that it could be, instead of just the average show that it is.

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla

I do remember that scene, and it's a great one. You reminded me about the great songs that we heard in the second season... why are these good things gone??? :srug:
Make love not war!

OMEN

OMEN

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBack in Gods Country - TEXAS
the scene where the gov stands there mocking the group.

my father who was in the military and fought in wars and watches the show has told me stories of soldiers who actually go into battle with this attitude and stand there during gun battles. I was skeptical of this scene until my dad told me this. hes told me there are about 2% of soldiers like this.

kinda like this guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

the scene where the gov stands there mocking the group.

my father who was in the military and fought in wars and watches the show has told me stories of soldiers who actually go into battle with this attitude and stand there during gun battles. I was skeptical of this scene until my dad told me this. hes told me there are about 2% of soldiers like this.

Yeah except this show hasn't done anything to earn the benefit of the doubt that that's what they're going for. The writers have a track record of making characters do whatever is convenient for the scene, with no thought regarding what came before or what will come after. I'm completely confident that the decision to have The Gov stand there was inspired by 'hey isn't it cool looking in movies when a guy stands there and isn't afraid of the bullets?' and nothing more.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Yeah except this show hasn't done anything to earn the benefit of the doubt that that's what they're going for. The writers have a track record of making characters do whatever is convenient for the scene, with no thought regarding what came before or what will come after. I'm completely confident that the decision to have The Gov stand there was inspired by 'hey isn't it cool looking in movies when a guy stands there and isn't afraid of the bullets?' and nothing more.

^^This.

And it's not cool anyway, it looks very silly, and it just made the whole gun fight look like it wasn't dangerous. If people can just stand in the open and not get hit there is no reason to be worried about anyone getting hit.

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members

Season 2 had some bad writing too and it didn't feel like an apocalypse... it just felt like a soap opera on a farm. There was no suspense, sense of dread or impending doom, just 13 episodes of Lori being a bitch and Rick being a pussy. Season 1 really had atmosphere to it, it was tense and the tone was very much apocalyptic, the characters felt real and smart. Then season 2 came and it was half a season of looking for a noncharacter that no one cared about only for her to be dead the whole time. The second half of the season was based on a ridiculous scenario that required Rick being an idiot and making contrived decisions. then they dragged it out for like 6 episodes of Rick crying about what to do only to ultimately not do a damn thing about it either way.

This show really went down hill after season 1 and it's sad because it has a LOT of potential. I read the comics during the midseason break of season 2 and it didn't take me long to realize how much better they are. People talk about how the show has had all this character development when the truth is it hasn't had much if any for most of the characters. The comics actually present the characters consistently as smart people doing their best at the end of the world, while the show has characters making contrived idiotic choices that would only serve to make their own lives harder just to further the plot... it's a wreck. And all the lazy character writing is compounded by the fact that they have the source material available to them... how hard is it to write something that has ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN?

After a great first season and after reading the comics I hold this show to high standards and really want it to live up to it's potential and it could if the writers just tried even a little. This is a show about the end of the world and dumbing it down for TV is really ruining the story. If I judge this show harshly it's only because I want it to be the great show that it could be, instead of just the average show that it is.

Contrived, that's the word I was looking for. It's like the episode when Glenn and Maggie were rescued. They had them in one area which was apparently good enough to do all that torture and screaming with no one being any the wiser, but then for some reason (like the torture area worked for torture but wouldn't work for the dramatic rescue) they took them somewhere else to shoot them...

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
All of this negative Nancy talk about my favorite television show is MAKING ME ANGRY!!!@#!212121!!!

It makes me bonkers how a show based on a comic book about a zombie apocalypse is lacking realism for some of you guys.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members

I thought episodes after Killer Within began a new age for Walking Dead to be honest, the show felt a little different to me. We've lost so many Atlanta/original cast members now as well. It is good, but it is bad also. I just hope we dont lose anymore this season. I felt episode 9 was nice, and episode 10 seemed nice enough too. But if we lose Carol/Herschel I am just afraid the shows going to be too "youthful" with a cast of "slayers" and it wil become a bit too much.

You think they won't die? Give up that hope now. I will declare it myself that Hershel will die from this battle between the two camps, and they may just kill Carol during an arc with Tyreese & Michonne

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNew Zealand

To be fair Rick was barely in this episode! He was in the intro which lasted 3-4 mins and then he wasn't back all the way until Herschel started talking to him at the fence and then the next scene was the big shootout.

Maybe so, but it sure felt like he was in it an awful lot. This also came on the back of last weeks hallucinations and prior to that, the phone calls.

_Shrike_

_Shrike_

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationa creepy basement
1) About the firefight. In a real shootout, the majority of the bullets go wasted. Besides, few or none of them, neither on Rick or Gov's group, is an expert soldier (I mean expert in fighting with firearms). Moreover, those in the prison were heavily protected. There was like what, 10 people involved and 2 got killed. I can accept that.

They can place headshots on zombies because they are slow as ****.

2) So now the show is just about mindless shooting and season 2 was beautiful because it had emotions? Goddamit, there's no way to make you happy!

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
It is impossible to make everyone happy. It doesn't matter what you do or how awesome something is, somebody somewhere will not like it. That's reality.

As long as most people like or accept it and keep watching, the show is a win. I think the very fact that we care enough about this show to have these forums and discuss every detail in depth is a demonstration of how much this show enterains us, for good or bad.

If the show was that terrible, no one would watch and no one would care. Personally, I love every minute of all of it - even when things happen that I don't like - because I think TWD and GoT are the best things on television.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

alamozombie

alamozombie

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAlamogordo New Mexico
The only person i saw standing in the open was the "guv". Everyone else was taking cover or trying to take cover. I also totally got why he was standing there like that it was his crazy attempt to show the prison occupants who it was toying with them combined with his lack of caring anymore. I truly thought it was an interesting how they were showing the similarities and difference between the "Guv" and Rick.

They are both riding the crazy train and dont care anymore which is why they are similar however when combat starts Rick goes into sharp protect my people and myself mode and the "Guv" goes into i dont care about anything except screwing with these people and showing them who did it even at the expense of my own mortality which is where they are different.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions but in my eyes i like the show. When your dealing with a show on the ZA their needs to be a certain level of suspension of disbielief.

^^This.

And it's not cool anyway, it looks very silly, and it just made the whole gun fight look like it wasn't dangerous. If people can just stand in the open and not get hit there is no reason to be worried about anyone getting hit.

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members

All of this negative Nancy talk about my favorite television show is MAKING ME ANGRY!!!@#!212121!!!

It makes me bonkers how a show based on a comic book about a zombie apocalypse is lacking realism for some of you guys.

Lol, so are you saying we should have the same expectations from this series as the Batman series starring Adam West?

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

The only person i saw standing in the open was the "guv". Everyone else was taking cover or trying to take cover. I also totally got why he was standing there like that it was his crazy attempt to show the prison occupants who it was toying with them combined with his lack of caring anymore. I truly thought it was an interesting how they were showing the similarities and difference between the "Guv" and Rick.

They are both riding the crazy train and dont care anymore which is why they are similar however when combat starts Rick goes into sharp protect my people and myself mode and the "Guv" goes into i dont care about anything except screwing with these people and showing them who did it even at the expense of my own mortality which is where they are different.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions but in my eyes i like the show. When your dealing with a show on the ZA their needs to be a certain level of suspension of disbielief.

Exactly - and, we also shouldn't forget that this started in the last episode, when he just stood out in the open during Rick and Maggie's attack to rescue Daryl. Exact same behavior.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

I don't see how him being crazy is going to keep him from getting shot if he's standing in the open during a shootout with automatic weapons... it's just silly. Insanity doesn't make you bullet proof. Just because HE doesn't give a shit if he gets shot doesn't me he wouldn't get shot... that's not how it works. Him just standing in the middle of the world while everyone shoots at him shattered any authenticity the scene had and removed any concern i had that any character were in any type of danger.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
The 60's Batman is as real as it gets.

Okay, the breaching of the walls was neat and was the releasing Walkers into the field. The group being fragmented and not ready is the only reason they pulled it off. A little advanced notice or strong leadership (Rick pre-Lori death) would have completely defeated it. Everyone got wrapped up in their own personal worlds, and the Gov just had to wait until the opportune moment to hit. I couldn't help but think throughout the battle that his goal was only to start this whole thing, he wasn't there to conquer the prison. He's taking his time with Rick's group.

Was he sighting his weapon with his blind eye, BTW? Governor Horatio Nelson he is!

The Daryl/Merle bridge scene didn't bother me, it worked and it was believable all the way through to me. I thought the return to the prison was contrived though.

Maggie has been spledi-tacular this season, and her horror and trauma over her violation (being placed in that submissive and helpless a posture is horrific) and how she's transferring some of that on Glenn is also believable. Glenn and the way he's handling it is also so well done, if depressingly sad.

Ricks wandering is an excuse, although the fact he could actually reach Lori and react to her in his mind was good.

I could handle all the missing, as the characters have very little screen time or implied gun battles against the living, and were off guard and disorganized. The Gov standing amid gunfire like that does remind me of similar real life instances (I think Wyatt Earp was one) where someone was shot at point blank with no cover by multiple people and calmly walked up and shot them in turn without being hit. It wasn't really filmed to be the beginning of Pulp Fiction, so I was okay with it.

The original intentions of Dixons was an interesting aside for character development, but would hold no weight with Rick's group were Merle to come out with it. Daryl has proven himself beyond whatever intentions the ZA started him with.

Walkers only seem to be a danger when writing requires it, otherwise they seem almost comedy sidekick-ish when the living duke it out, I wish they were consistantly portrayed as the feral animals they are, and not ignored or reduced because of a more interesting take on a scene. Season 2 really had that worked right, with the Rick/Shane conflicts constantly being either overshadowed or overshadowing the menace. It was a GREAT push-pull.
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

alamozombie

alamozombie

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAlamogordo New Mexico
Him being crazy had nothing to do with that fact at all. The fact that no one was trying to hard to really take aim and hit him or even shoot in his direction had more to do with him not being shot. Rick was shooting at Martinez, everyone in the prison yard was shooting at the guy in the tower. Michonne just might have been the only one who took a shot at him and she was doing that by holding her weapon around the side of the bus. Again i am sorry you did not enjoy it and we are all allowed our own opinions however like i said when your dealing with a show about a ZA you need to have some suspension of disbielief. An example it would be like me watching the avengers battle alien invaders in the movie and critisizing the fact the police were not using proper firearm techniques or tactics the whole time ignoring the fact that it involves an armour wearing guy a green giant and a norse god among other weirdness.

I don't see how him being crazy is going to keep him from getting shot if he's standing in the open during a shootout with automatic weapons... it's just silly. Insanity doesn't make you bullet proof. Just because HE doesn't give a shit if he gets shot doesn't me he wouldn't get shot... that's not how it works. Him just standing in the middle of the world while everyone shoots at him shattered any authenticity the scene had and removed any concern i had that any character were in any type of danger.

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned
The ONLY laws of physics and nature that require suspension of disbelief when watching zombie fiction is that dead people can revive and eat people. That is it. It doesn't excuse teleportation, phasing through solid objects, super fast movement, consuming more than a human belly can hold, or being bulletproof.

If we let the existence of hungry zombies disallow all the rules of reality, then we WILL get flying, telepathic zombies with X-ray vision.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!