The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep6 - Hounded - Review

the walking dead season 3 rick andrea michonne the governor glenn maggie TWD Hounded Thoughts

The Walking Dead Ep 6 Hounded Review (200 )

What did you think of this week's episode?

1. Excellent (98 [49.00%] - )

49.00%

2. Good - Some Critiques (86 [43.00%] - )

43.00%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (11 [5.50%] - )

5.50%

4. Poor (5 [2.50%] - )

2.50%

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members

Uhhh, huh?

I think you need to get yourself some better life experiences and better people to hang with. Life really is better than this.

How did we get to moms killing their kids?

Do you live in Woodbury, Vicki?

I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things. I've lived my life, but sometimes life has happened to me, too. I've had things brought unto me that I didn't ask for, wasn't prepared for, and damn sure didn't want. Maybe that's why I'm aware of the ugly side of life and people, and maybe that's why I know even if I close my eyes very tightly and believe with all my heart, it doesn't change reality. Some people are just horrible people. They're horrible children who do horrible things who grow into horrible adults who do horrible things, and generally, depending on the degree of horribleness they possess, unless there is some major intervention of some kind, they die at some point never having a clue of just how horrible they really are.

As far as how did we get to talking about mothers killing their children, another poster and I both brought it up in response to your assertion "mothers are programmed to think this way" in the context of how you wanted to believe in Merle and that he could change for the better, like the act of giving birth confers some zen sense of oneness with the universe, when in actuality every now and then the act of giving birth actually triggers something called post partum depression, which if severe enough, has been linked to women killing their children, ironically enough. I think that's irony, anyway, in the context of this conversation, but I may be mistaken. I'm sure someone will be more than happy to set me straight if I've misused 'irony'.

Rainbowpony

Rainbowpony

Lurker

• Members

Uhhh, huh?

I think you need to get yourself some better life experiences and better people to hang with. Life really is better than this.

How did we get to moms killing their kids?

Oops, I forgot to address the uhhh huh? Since the topic at hand was Merle's redemption, which would lean a lot more towards his mental state than his physical state, and since he lost his hand around a year ago and doesn't seem to have been redeemed because of that, when you made the reference to Merle being wounded, I was unclear if you were referring to his hand being chopped off, (which I wouldn't refer to as being wounded, since it has been about a year and is probably healed by now even though the hand is gone forever) as you having a weakness for people who are physically maimed in some way, or if we were still in context of Merle's redemption and you were referring to emotional wounds Merle may or may not have suffered, such as the burning up to nothing of his mother in a house fire of her own making...

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla

Are you a vegetarian?

Great answer.

Actually, I am vegetarian (for real). :)
Make love not war!

Not_Undead

Not_Undead

Biter

• Banned

Great answer.

Thanks for saying so, but this isn't Jeopardy. ;)

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

Season 2--They'd recently moved to the farm and were now feeling relatively safe. I may be confused here as SOphia was still not accounted for, but anyway...Someone, Rick or Shane said to Daryl , "I guess you'll be moving on now." He replied, "I think I'll be staying."

Obviously Daryl had HIS epiphany. Made no sense that a man who had all the skills needed for keeping himself alive should burden himself with a batch of people who were lucky if they made it through the day. He wasn't staying for Rick or Shane (had it only been them, he never would have stayed), but for Dale, Lori, Carl...and especially Carol, the neediest, most vulnerable and damaged person to survive the ZA. He needed the emotional feedback that he was valued and recognized for his contribution to the group. Needed it more than pyhsical safety. The only time he ever considered bailing on the group was when he felt Carol shut him out following Sophia's death.

So why shouldn't Merle get that? He's a wounded guy. (Maybe that's why I care about him.) No one seems to value him (including himself) as anything other than a tool for hurting others. Maybe he's unsalvagable (I'm thinking he's incapable of responding in a positive way to another human being at this point), but I can still hope that in the end, if he's brother's life is on the line, he may prove there's something "good" behind the facade.

I think the differences between Daryl and Merle were shown from the start. Merle goes with the group to scavenge supplies, but instead of looking for supplies, he heads to the roof to get high and then starts shooting at the walkers that gathered around the store after Rick fired his gun - which will only draw even more walkers to the location. Right off the bat we're shown that Merle is reckless, dangerous, and doesn't care about anyone but himself. Then we have the confrontation with T-Dog that establishes that Merle is a racist and prepared to kill T-Dog simply because of the color of his skin. Rick handcuffed Merle to that pipe to save the others from him. It should also be noted that Merle left Daryl behind as well - he took the truck and knew where the camp was so he could have easily gone back to get Daryl. He would have gotten back to the camp long before they did because he had the truck and they had to walk. But Merle wasn't thinking about Daryl then - he was still only thinking about himself.

Contrast that to Daryl's introduction. He returned from hunting and was angry because the walker ate the deer he had been tracking in hopes of surprising the group with a good meal - though he also has several squirrels that he plans to share with the group. His behavior is aggressive, but his actions establish that - unlike Merle - he thinks about the group as a whole and not just himself. He is understandably angry when he finds out Merle was left behind and, again, his behavior is aggressive, but he accepts the offer for help to go rescue Merle and works with Rick and the others to rescue Glenn when they think he is in danger. Likewise, when they finally make it back to the camp - after having to walk because Merle stole their truck - and they hear everyone screaming, Daryl joins in the fight to save people from walkers. Again, he thinks about others where Merle only thought about himself.

Daryl staying with the group was logical because there is strength in numbers. They hadn't been together long enough for Daryl to really consider any of them friends at that point, but he did care and he was needed. After the disaster at the CDC, we again see major contrasts between Daryl and Merle with Daryl being so adamant that they would find Sophia and that she would be fine. He also saves T-Dog's life twice - first by hiding him from the herd of walkers and later by giving him antibiotics when Dale revealed the cut on T-Dog's arm had gotten infected. His anger with T-Dog over dropping the key didn't prevent him from doing what was right. Likewise, Daryl is the one who puts the most effort into searching for Sophia and tries to offer any comfort he can to Carol. He also demonstrates concern for Andrea in regards to her recent suicide attempt.

Given all of that, I wouldn't say there was any epiphany for Daryl to have. His aggressive behavior is only a shield he uses to try to hide that he cares. He does the right thing even if that puts himself in danger. He is a good person with a good heart - he just doesn't like to show it. That is pretty much the complete opposite of Merle. The only thing Merle has done that could be considered sympathetic is ask Andrea if Daryl was alive and ask the governor if he could go look for him - but even that is tainted by the fact that he chose to leave Daryl behind in the first place. It appears that Merle is using his brother as a means to get sympathy from Andrea - playing on her grief over Amy's death. Finding Daryl also presents the potential of finding Rick - and it's clear that Merle is holding a grudge when it comes to Rick. That would also mean finding Rick's group and whatever supplies they have so the governor could take them just like he did with that military group.

Basically, the only difference they've shown with Merle is that he's sober and more in control of himself. That actually makes him more dangerous because we're seeing just how manipulative and controlling he can be when he's not stoned out of his mind. Not seeing any redeeming qualities here.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Thanks, Meesha. It's time to get this thread back on track. :)

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

I think the differences between Daryl and Merle were shown from the start. Merle goes with the group to scavenge supplies, but instead of looking for supplies, he heads to the roof to get high and then starts shooting at the walkers that gathered around the store after Rick fired his gun - which will only draw even more walkers to the location. Right off the bat we're shown that Merle is reckless, dangerous, and doesn't care about anyone but himself. Then we have the confrontation with T-Dog that establishes that Merle is a racist and prepared to kill T-Dog simply because of the color of his skin. Rick handcuffed Merle to that pipe to save the others from him. It should also be noted that Merle left Daryl behind as well - he took the truck and knew where the camp was so he could have easily gone back to get Daryl. He would have gotten back to the camp long before they did because he had the truck and they had to walk. But Merle wasn't thinking about Daryl then - he was still only thinking about himself.

I agree with most of what you say about Merle and Daryl being different. However, I disagree with your point about Merle leaving Daryl. Merle may have taken the truck leaving Daryl and the others stranded, but there is no evidence that Merle knew it was their truck. Merle was handcuffed to the roof when they decided to take the truck, so he never saw it. For all he knew, it was someone else's abandoned truck. As for not going back to the camp to get Daryl, that might have been his intention, but he may have passed out from blood loss before he could. Merle told Andrea that he had "pretty near bled out" when TG found him. Even if he went looking for Daryl, he wouldn't have found them because the group left the day after the attack because it wasn't safe.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
Rainbowpony, One of the difficult things about communicating in print as opposed to speaking face to face is that things are so easily misunderstood. . I gather I offended you and for that I apologize.
Although I've never lived in difficult circumstances, my choice of careers often took me into those places. My first job in 1971 had me teaching in a state facility with very disturbed kids. (I lasted 4 months.) So, sadly, I do know about some of the really tragic stuff that happens--especially to children.
I gathered you were saying your own past has not been particularly easy. A forum like this is not a place where you want to come across as being too personal. What I was trying to do was send an “non” personal message that I wished you better in your life.

In the future I will mind my own damn business and avoid reading into the lives of anyone but Rick, Daryl et al. Well, I will try.

The “uhhh huh?” was a response to what I assumed was kidding on your part. I see Merle as emotionally wounded. His lack of a hand has not appeared to put him at any disadvantage.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
They're being nice to each other!

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay
meesha1971, great post. I agree with it. In the old days i would have marked liked it, but we don't have that feature anymore
Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
I ‘m not going to disagree that Darryl and Merle are very different guys. Certainly Merle appears to be totally oblivious to any needs but his own. I would like to be proven wrong here, but am doubting it likely at this point in the story.

No way do I agree with the altruistic view you’re presenting of Darryl. For instance the way I recall the deer business was that he was angry because “his” dinner was gone; not that the group would go hungry. But then it has been a long time since I watched season 1.

But this part I am pretty sure of. In the early days of the group Darryl had no plans of staying with these people. Had said so.. Had stated he was better off on his own. No way did he find strength in numbers,. You really believe HE thought his chances of survival were improved by aligning himself with Dale, Andrea, Amy, Carol, Sophia…? He’d have been better off pairing up with Betty White.

Epiphany is maybe the wrong word. Maybe it was a shift in his awareness, a slow recognition there were things he wanted more than physical safety. So I guess our argument isn’t about who he ultimately became, but rather when and how he got to that place. I prefer to think he evolved into that character after having been someone very different. (I’ve seen it happen in the real world.)

It should also be noted that Merle left Daryl behind as well - he took the truck and knew where the camp was so he could have easily gone back to get Daryl. He would have gotten back to the camp long before they did because he had the truck and they had to walk. But Merle wasn't thinking about Daryl then - he was still only thinking about himself.

Guess another poster answered this stating that Meryl almost bled out, BUT just as Meryl didn't return to the camp to pick up Darryl, neither did he return to shoot anybody.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
Meesha, must be in a stupor from all this Thanksgiving cooking. My last post doesn't make a lot of sense. ( Realized this while preparing the stuffing.) I still agree with my own premise (D. is a "hero in process" as opposed to your "always a hero but disguised"), but your post defends your theory better. I will think better tomorrow.

Medic.

Medic.

S-mart Employee

• Members

Do you live in Woodbury, Vicki?

I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things. I've lived my life, but sometimes life has happened to me, too. I've had things brought unto me that I didn't ask for, wasn't prepared for, and damn sure didn't want. Maybe that's why I'm aware of the ugly side of life and people, and maybe that's why I know even if I close my eyes very tightly and believe with all my heart, it doesn't change reality. Some people are just horrible people. They're horrible children who do horrible things who grow into horrible adults who do horrible things, and generally, depending on the degree of horribleness they possess, unless there is some major intervention of some kind, they die at some point never having a clue of just how horrible they really are.

As far as how did we get to talking about mothers killing their children, another poster and I both brought it up in response to your assertion "mothers are programmed to think this way" in the context of how you wanted to believe in Merle and that he could change for the better, like the act of giving birth confers some zen sense of oneness with the universe, when in actuality every now and then the act of giving birth actually triggers something called post partum depression, which if severe enough, has been linked to women killing their children, ironically enough. I think that's irony, anyway, in the context of this conversation, but I may be mistaken. I'm sure someone will be more than happy to set me straight if I've misused 'irony'.

That's not called "the dark side of life" it's just life. She never made such and assertion.

I've lived my life too. Done a lot of things. Seen lots and lots of things. People know they're bad. Their bad ways are usually the product of the way they've grown up and coped. They also know they're bad. No one is oblivious to the kind of person they are.

I believe Merle could come around, but not sure if I'd like to see it.

I empathize with both the Dixon boys. I want to give them both a hug.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
I understand Vicki about the cooking. I went to back a cake and came back to a whole thread being gone. It wouldn't have mattered that much because the thread had much drama, but I had made a point about Andrea sleeping with Shane and TG after killing zombies and feeling empowered. It seems that feeling empowered and not a victim makes Andrea sexual. Anyway, I came back looking for further discussion on that point. I would start another thread on that point, but Andrea threads get so much drama.

Oh well...

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members

point about Andrea sleeping with Shane and TG after killing zombies and feeling empowered. It seems that feeling empowered and not a victim makes Andrea sexual.

Oh well...

I'm feeling a perfume commercial for Eau d'Zombie . (I'd prefer to see Darryl rather than Brad Pitt.) If killing zombies works like an aphrodisiac, I'm guessing there are more than a few men willing to take their chances in the ZA.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
(aside)

I've lived my life too. Done a lot of things. Seen lots and lots of things. People know they're bad. Their bad ways are usually the product of the way they've grown up and coped. They also know they're bad. No one is oblivious to the kind of person they are.

You are tricky. I will bite my tongue fingertips and not enter the fray into which that conversation will lead. But I will think about it.

(hmmm) Did Hitler know ...

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members

I'm feeling a perfume commercial for Eau d'Zombie . (I'd prefer to see Darryl rather than Brad Pitt.) If killing zombies works like an aphrodisiac, I'm guessing there are more than a few men willing to take their chances in the ZA.

I think that is appropriate. I think Daryl probably smells more like zombies.

Check out my blog

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

I literally despise Andrea now. There is no redeeming the charachter in my eyes now.

The rest of the episode was pretty good although I'm abit annoyed that they killed two of the four woodbury background soldiers in one go. Now we only have Bowman and Martinez. I liked the introduction of Haley (cue Alice?) and loved that Michonne found the prision.

Good, now Rick and his group can EASILY take Woodbury. All they have is the Guv, that tall guy, merle and that girl who can't shoot her bow. Easy peasy! Michonne will be on pay back. Gonna be a FANTASTIC episode!

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Loved this episode!

Michonne is bad ass! An so is Merle! I thought it was a dope way to bring Woodbury an Rick & Co together! I wondered how they would link up an the writers set it up perfectly!!

Once Michonne came to the prison, i had an idea.. I was thinking since Michonne was a lawyer, she probably knew exactly where the prison was located!

I wonder if Michonne will know Oscar or Axel.. maybe she represented one of them or faced one of them in court sometime before the SHTF!?! Just a thought!

Good observation!

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Since a couple people mentioned Rick's clean up and change of clothes....something that has been bothering me: Hershel's hair! The ponytail is hideous, yet the others hair is hardly any different. Please find scissors in the jail :)

Wait, they're in the zombie apocalypse, fighting everyday for their lives, the poor guy just got savaged by a walker and had to have his leg cut off?????
And you want him to head to the nearest Toni And Guy!!!!

LOL!!!!! :zombie02:

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

I will never, ever be over that. Ever.

um, how do we really know that THAT one single walker ate her????? That part of the jail was full of walkers.. In my imagination I like to think that she was devoured by a whole group of them, and yes, they ate her bones and all.

meesha1971

meesha1971

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKentucky

I agree with most of what you say about Merle and Daryl being different. However, I disagree with your point about Merle leaving Daryl. Merle may have taken the truck leaving Daryl and the others stranded, but there is no evidence that Merle knew it was their truck. Merle was handcuffed to the roof when they decided to take the truck, so he never saw it. For all he knew, it was someone else's abandoned truck. As for not going back to the camp to get Daryl, that might have been his intention, but he may have passed out from blood loss before he could. Merle told Andrea that he had "pretty near bled out" when TG found him. Even if he went looking for Daryl, he wouldn't have found them because the group left the day after the attack because it wasn't safe.

I apologize for the confusion - I was rushing to finish that post before going to my parents to cook Thanksgiving dinner and didn't have time to proof or edit. I was not referring to Merle leaving Rick and the others in Atlanta when he took the truck - obviously, he did not know they had come to rescue him. I was referring to Merle not going back to the camp - which would not have taken him long with the truck. They found the stove where Merle had cauterized his stump - crudely, but that would work as a temporary measure so he wouldn't have bled out that day. Woodbury is nowhere near Atlanta so Merle would have been some distance away from the camp when the governor found him. There's no indication that Merle ever went back to the quarry camp at all. He never mentions that when talking to Andrea.

My impression was that Merle was just using Daryl to play on Andrea's sympathy - particularly after she mentioned that Amy had died. He's trying to get information from her about the group because she was still with the group the last time he saw her. Andrea walks right into that and goes so far as to give Merle a map with the location of the farm marked on it. If Merle is able to track as well as Daryl, it's possible he could find them using that - he certainly seemed to think he could. Regardless, it did not seem to me that Merle's primary interest was finding his brother, but rather that he wanted to find Rick and was simply using Daryl as an excuse to get Andrea to talk and to convince the governor to let him go look.

I ‘m not going to disagree that Darryl and Merle are very different guys. Certainly Merle appears to be totally oblivious to any needs but his own. I would like to be proven wrong here, but am doubting it likely at this point in the story.

No way do I agree with the altruistic view you’re presenting of Darryl. For instance the way I recall the deer business was that he was angry because “his” dinner was gone; not that the group would go hungry. But then it has been a long time since I watched season 1.

Actually, what Daryl said was that he had been tracking that deer for miles and he had planned to drag it back to camp to "cook us up some venison". He asked Shane if cutting the eaten part away might make it safe for them to eat, but Shane said he wouldn't risk it. Then Daryl said he had also caught about a dozen squirrels so that would have to do. He was hunting food for the entire group - not himself.

I wouldn't say Daryl was entirely altruistic then - more that he saw a need that his particular skills would be good for and took care of it. Doing so made him feel useful and needed - and I think that's important to Daryl even if he doesn't realize it. For someone like Daryl that would simply be doing his part - he wouldn't see it as anything special because food was something they all needed.

But this part I am pretty sure of. In the early days of the group Darryl had no plans of staying with these people. Had said so.. Had stated he was better off on his own. No way did he find strength in numbers,. You really believe HE thought his chances of survival were improved by aligning himself with Dale, Andrea, Amy, Carol, Sophia…? He’d have been better off pairing up with Betty White.

Daryl made a comment about being better off on his own in anger - it's obvious that he wasn't serious because he stayed. Being part of a group was safer than being alone - and that group did include people who could handle weapons and deal with walkers. Shane and Rick could also hunt. Andrea and Amy both knew how to fish. Everyone contributed something to the safety and well being of the group as a whole - even if it was just making sure the clothes were clean or the food was cooked properly.

Initially, Daryl did not feel much of a connection to any of these people. Other than getting angry with them about what happened with Merle, he got along with them in general from what we're shown, but he did hold himself apart from the others in the beginning. His reasons for staying at that point were not emotional - they were more practical at that point. After the discovery that Sophia had been turned into a walker, Daryl withdrew even further - going so far as to move his things away from the main camp - and he began keeping to himself. It wasn't until near the end of season 2 that Daryl chose to change that. Rick began turning to Daryl more as it became clear that Shane was becoming unstable and couldn't be trusted. Dale's death was part of that as well - mourning him brought them all closer together. Over the 8 months they traveled together during the winter, they have become a surrogate family to each other and Daryl feels like part of the group now whereas before I think he felt like he was on the outside looking in.

Epiphany is maybe the wrong word. Maybe it was a shift in his awareness, a slow recognition there were things he wanted more than physical safety. So I guess our argument isn’t about who he ultimately became, but rather when and how he got to that place. I prefer to think he evolved into that character after having been someone very different. (I’ve seen it happen in the real world.)

I don't entirely disagree. I do think that Daryl was always a good person in general and that he cared about others. However, I also think that the way his father and Merle treated him growing up made him feel that it was necessary to hide that aspect of himself. Daryl's journey has been about learning to open up emotionally and trust others.

My point is that Daryl was never someone who needed redemption. Being closed off emotionally and hiding behind an aggressive shield didn't make him a horrible person. He still did good things and showed that he cared about others - even though he tried to hide it. He never demonstrated the prejudice that Merle did. He didn't use drugs like Merle did - and he has Merle's stash because that's where he got the antibiotic for T-Dog. He is occasionally aggressive - particularly when he's worried or scared and trying to hide it - but he doesn't attack someone on the basis of the color of their skin or gender the way Merle did. He'll defend himself and others if he's provoked - and he'll kill if it's necessary to accomplish that, but he wouldn't do things like that just for the heck of it.

Merle would. Merle is not a good person and he doesn't care about anyone but himself. The more we learn about Merle, the more we see that he is very manipulative and controlling. Daryl seems to know exactly what kind of person his brother is - and his comments about not being able to play with other kids when Merle was around is very telling because it shows that he tried very hard to control Daryl. Merle's character is one that would have to be redeemed because he's such a horrible person. However, redemption requires remorse and regret - it requires atonement of some sort. We don't see anything like that with Merle and I never expected to. He has no regrets and feels no remorse because he's always put himself first. Merle is not going to seek forgiveness or feel any remorse because he doesn't consider any of his actions wrong.

Guess another poster answered this stating that Meryl almost bled out, BUT just as Meryl didn't return to the camp to pick up Darryl, neither did he return to shoot anybody.

Merle wasn't in any shape to fight anyone at the time - and he didn't have a gun because Rick took it when he handcuffed him to the roof. I don't think Merle was thinking about anything other than getting as far away as he could to save himself.

Also, it was not Merle who revealed that he had a brother - Daryl wasn't mentioned by anyone until they got back to camp and Dale started asking what they would tell him about Merle. Not when Rick handcuffed him to the roof - not when T-Dog dropped the key - not during his monologue after they left him there. At no point does Merle mention Daryl or express any concern for him or even threaten that Daryl will avenge him. Merle simply did not think about Daryl at all from what we're shown.

Meesha, must be in a stupor from all this Thanksgiving cooking. My last post doesn't make a lot of sense. ( Realized this while preparing the stuffing.) I still agree with my own premise (D. is a "hero in process" as opposed to your "always a hero but disguised"), but your post defends your theory better. I will think better tomorrow.

Totally understand about the cooking - and I'll add the eating too. I have no willpower at Thanksgiving or Christmas. :lol:

To be clear, I wouldn't say Daryl was always a hero. He has his flaws and he is very emotionally stunted so I would agree that he's definitely a work in progress as he overcomes that and opens up more to the group as he gets more comfortable with them. I do think Daryl has always been a good person, but doing the right thing is just being a decent person. As I said above, I simply think Daryl never did anything that would require redemption the way Merle did.

In the timeline of the show, a year ago, Daryl wouldn't have taken the time to ask Beth to be there for Carl because his mother died - or made the effort to talk to Carl himself and share that story about his own mother dying. He wouldn't have stepped up to hold things together while Rick grieved. It wasn't that he didn't care, but he wouldn't have been comfortable opening himself up like that to anyone in the group back then - Carol was the first and I think that was largely due to the fact that she was the first who really showed that she respected him and appreciated his efforts to find Sophia. Daryl's come a long way in the past year and he's a lot more open now than he was back then. But keeping himself closed off emotionally is not something that requires redemption - that was simply a defense mechanism and the only person that hurt was Daryl himself. I wouldn't put that on the same level as Merle trying to kill T-Dog simply because he was black.

leon the pig farmer

leon the pig farmer

Biter

• Banned
  • LocationLondon

Awesome episode, just thought i'd share on some points.

1) Realistically, does Rick and his group even have a chance against the Governor? The Governor outnumbers them 10 to 1, has Woodbury which is ridiculously more protected then the prison and has the advantage of captured Maggie and Glenn.

2) Michonne and Daryl for a 2 person team? Does it even get more badass then that?

3) Hurry up and name the baby! What will they name her? Comic name?

4) I know Axel is fixing the generators, but give him a line! At-least Oscar was in it! Will he be developed?

5) When Carl confessed to Daryl about being the one to put down Lori, it's obvious Daryl did not know... but does Rick? I mean, it has not really been talked about yet since Rick went nuts. It's sorta implied at the end of Episode 4 that he knows Carl put her down by looking at him, but i just thought that was Rick accepting that Lori is dead.
When Rick enters the boiler room in Episode 5 and finds the bullet, he puts it in his pocket. And that is 'on going' according to the show writers and will probably play some part in the story, so maybe he doesn't know? Which will make for a really tense and interesting scene between them if that is the case. Though i could be jumping the gun and he does know.

What do you think?

Most of the hardcore killers in woodbury are dead. it would have to take a lot of convincing on the part of the Guv to make the residents of woodbury turn killer once Rick and his group show up.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
Damn, Meesha. You are good. You have changed my thinking.

Except for here

His reasons for staying at that point were not emotional - they were more practical at that point. After the discovery that Sophia had been turned into a walker, Daryl withdrew even further - going so far as to move his things away from the main camp - and he began keeping to himself.

I didn't feel he was pulling away from the group until he saw Carol's reaction to the death, just prior to the funeral. He mourned with the others. His behaviour, his demonstration of sympathy were very appropriate. But Carol had shut down and was in shock and I don't think Daryl got that. I think it hurt (scene where he came in with the flower ) when she didn't accept his presence as an occasion to look to him for solace. I felt that was his most vulnerable moment and communicated he felt (correctly or not) rejected.

I've always assumed he took her lack of apparent grief as a little dismissive of his efforts to find Sophia. There was her talk of this not being her little girl; she was already gone, etc. To me it felt like an emotional slap, an unstated but understood, "Why did you bother? You were never in a position to save her."

Explains for me why he shut off emotionally and put distance between himself and , most significantly, Carol. Explains, too, why he tried to return the hurt. It was more than just keeping to himself.

Gee, I just love that man.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members
I have never read the comic so maybe the answer is there, but why would the Gov want anything the folks at the prison have? Why are they worth bothering with?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!