The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep 8 - Too Far Gone - Review

* * * * * 1 predictions questions discussion mid-season

The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep. 8 Too Far Gone (340 )

What is your opinion of Ep. 8 Too Far Gone?

1. Excellent (269 [79.12%] - )

79.12%

2. Good - Some Critiques (50 [14.71%] - )

14.71%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (12 [3.53%] - )

3.53%

4. Poor (9 [2.65%] - )

2.65%

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members
After seeing the rat dissected and Bob sitting with the shoebox (and acting nervous when Sasha approached) i def think its him feeding the walkers rats. Hes got medical experience so he'd know how to open the rat up like that....

Again, why isnt Michonne with Rick? She was literally right behind him, gave TG a 'look' an then boom she was gone? Makes no sense....She shouldve been right there with Rick an Carl....

Where did the lesbian go? Wouldnt she have seen her mom RIGHT THERE (before the tank moved toward the prison) but then she was up at the prison behind the tank an walked away?

RIP Hersh-dog!

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I've been staring at this for a few minutes and it's bringing me a lot of joy:

Spoiler

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
I'm thinking either Tara or Michonne grabbed Judith OR.. she is dead, it must be hard to actually kill a baby on tv so this seemed like a good and realistic way to kill her off.

OMEN

OMEN

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBack in Gods Country - TEXAS
As a father who at one point to use those carries Theyre horrible to maneuver around quickly. They are awkward. Unless it's the fancy kind but Judith's didnt look fancy.

So I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

It makes more sense to me that someone bleeding grabbed Judith out of the carrier, probably because it was easier to run with her like that.

That makes sense to me. A baby bucket is an incredibly awkward thing to carry. It's much easier to move quickly if you just take the baby out. I agree with the person who predicted that Michonne has Judith. It flows with Michonne's scene with Judith earlier in the season.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

City

City

Infected

• Members
^that was me, thanks hehe.

then again, any random person (redshirt included) could have saved her.... or possibly CAROL DUN DUN DUNNNN!

Dr.ChimRitchels

Dr.ChimRitchels

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDetroit, MI

It makes more sense to me that someone bleeding grabbed Judith out of the carrier, probably because it was easier to run with her like that.

I'll bet Tyreese ended up with Judith. That's probably where Lilly & Mika ran off to, when Tyreese yelled "Where you goin'? This way...!"

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCentral Michigan
sorry if someone's already said this, only scanned through the posts but with Tyreese running away with all the kids do you think he's gonna be the one to come across carol out in the world? i mean he has the two girls and still doesn't know she killed karen. i can her saving them and her and tyreese bonding then of course that little tidbit is going to surface at some point. gonna be interesting.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked and behold, a pale horse And his name that sat on him was Death And Hell followed with him." (Revelations 6:7-8)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
I'm not saying they should've dragged the Governor conflict out for 16 episodes, but having two mini-seasons as opposed to a 16 episode arc seems kind of...strange to me

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

FDrez

FDrez

Infected

• Members
  • LocationZombieVille, USA
Kill Em All!!
I relish those source references most of all on this show.. so vital to core fans

Mad chills

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCentral Michigan

Kill Em All!!
I relish those source references most of all on this show.. so vital to core fans

Mad chills

I jumped up out of my seat when he said that. i was fucking pumped. wife had no idea why lol....

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked and behold, a pale horse And his name that sat on him was Death And Hell followed with him." (Revelations 6:7-8)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
I think the worst part of this episode was that Rick got closure on the Governor

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members
The girls took off back toward where Judith was after saving Ty so maybe he has her or the girls do...but where did the blood come from??

One thing i just noticed, when Sasha,Maggie an Bob see the bus driving away, it was really close to them, seriously it looks maybe 200ft away, so how did Glenn an the others on the bus NOT see Maggie an them RIGHT THERE!?! And it seems odd to me Glenn would drive off like 30seconds after Maggie ran off....didnt wait one bit for the love of his life? Lol

FDrez

FDrez

Infected

• Members
  • LocationZombieVille, USA

I jumped up out of my seat when he said that. i was fucking pumped. wife had no idea why lol....

Word.. made that scene 10x more badass

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4
I'm so heartbroken right now. That was like watching my grandpa die on screen or something.

Man, I can't even with a full review right now. I need to go hug my pillow.
Jon is fine, dammit.

JRY

JRY

Infected

• Members

ok - also we never saw the Gov actually getting killed... could he come back?? I think he's really gone but we didn't get to see it...

Breaking Bad Season 3 Spoiler:
Spoiler

I think the Gov is dead. Just mad she wasted a bullet on him and didn't leave him for the zombies.

Kikora

Kikora

Lurker

• Members

The girls took off back toward where Judith was after saving Ty so maybe he has her or the girls do...but where did the blood come from??

One thing i just noticed, when Sasha,Maggie an Bob see the bus driving away, it was really close to them, seriously it looks maybe 200ft away, so how did Glenn an the others on the bus NOT see Maggie an them RIGHT THERE!?! And it seems odd to me Glenn would drive off like 30seconds after Maggie ran off....didnt wait one bit for the love of his life? Lol

HAHA! I hadn't even caught that. True love.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

At the risk of having to make this comparison, it's the same reason for why Hitler was able to manipulate so many people into following his evil, sick lead.

There's always a pattern with such men, whether it be Hitler or Jim Jones (cult leader) and it involves more than just rhetoric. More often times than not, it involves a series of events and a gradual escalation over a period of months or years.

In Woodbury, the governor had gained the peoples' trust by creating a secure environment with all basic needs met, and he'd been doing it for a while.

That's why I say the Woodbury followers made sense and these new ones didn't.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I have not read the comics, I am too poor to buy them and too respectful to steal them, and really don't pay too much attention to comic spoilers.

I am just someone who understands writing and plot development, and have seen a trend in the way that the writers develop story arcs. They never kill 'beloved' characters, only those with a medium to small fanbase and little screentime, usually after having them act particularly courageous or endearing. Note:

T-Dog was just the token-black character for three seasons, almost no character development, somewhat cowardly, usually injured. He saved everyone from walkers by diving into the thick of it to close the gate, and he gets bitten. Redeemed.

Lori was hailed as the worst mother ever and is one of the most hated characters in the series so far, but she sacrifices her life to save Judith and has a touching seen with Carl before dying. Redeemed.

Oscar is part of the original prison group, very little screentime, no development, but he becomes likable when he agrees to help in Woodbury, and then immediately dies. Fodder.

Axel was also new and undeveloped, but his flirting with Beth was seen by many (Myself included) as grossly inappropriate and creepy. He finally gets some screentime and seems fairly charming; shot. Redeemed.

Merle was a racist misogynistic pig who was hated by most (Per his design) but does out in a blaze of glory fighting the Gov for the prison. Redeemed.

Milton was weak, cowardly, and deluded, not only believing that walkers can be saved, but that the Governor could be as well. He burned the walkers, stood up to the Gov, and died with his values intact. Redeemed.

Adrea was... Gosh... Hated. Poor decision making, bad taste in men, disloyal, so on and so forth. She stands up to the Gov and tries to help her friends, and is given a very sorrowful death. Sorta redeemed?

I had hoped they would abandon this trend in this season, but so far they haven't. They kill people we don't know; Clara, Patrick, the girl's dad, Karen, David, Hippie-girl, the little girl, the lesbian lover, all of whom we barely have any investment in. They are brought in to be killed, and we can tell because they get almost no independent character development, they only exist in relation to characters who would feel the impact of their death. Then we have the only real main character who dies this season, and it is Hershel, who has been only a mildly popular character but the entire story arc so far was crafted to make him ten times more epic this season than ever before. He went from an old man he couldn't take care of himself, to the hero of the plague, a disease which came and went in four days flat. Obviously the season was built to make us miss him more, and anyone who was paying attention would know the emotional highlight would be to see him die.

Everything else was... Meh. Nothing startling.

I agree, there is a lot of contrived writing in TWD. But I disagree with you on several points. Hershel was not an old man who couldn't take care of himself. He always played a fundamental role in the group and he had nothing to be redeemed for. And Dale's death did not fill your formula and neither did Shane's death. Also, I don't really see the value in killing off major characters every show. There won't be anyone to care about.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Kikora

Kikora

Lurker

• Members

I agree, there is a lot of contrived writing in TWD. But I disagree with you on several points. Hershel was not an old man who couldn't take care of himself. He always played a fundamental role in the group and he had nothing to be redeemed for. And Dale's death did not fill your formula and neither did Shane's death. Also, I don't really see the value in killing off major characters every show. There won't be anyone to care about.

The pattern really started in season 3 more than in season 1 and 2.

And Hershel really was somewhat of a burden through most of season 2 and 3. Season 2 it was because he couldn't accept walkers were dead, and season 3 because his leg was freshly amputated and he couldn't move or contribute much. He wasn't useless but he wasn't someone who gained popularity like the other characters had.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

That makes sense to me. A baby bucket is an incredibly awkward thing to carry. It's much easier to move quickly if you just take the baby out. I agree with the person who predicted that Michonne has Judith. It flows with Michonne's scene with Judith earlier in the season.

Oh yes, this makes perfect sense considering that everyone is asking where Michonne went. It is highly possible she grabbed Judith. I'm with you on that.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
What was in Bob's shoebox?

Kikora

Kikora

Lurker

• Members

Oh yes, this makes perfect sense considering that everyone is asking where Michonne went. It is highly possible she grabbed Judith. I'm with you on that.

That would explain the fresh blood in the baby carrier as well, since she just stabbed the Gov, it is very likely she caught some of the splatter.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I just watched the episode again. As sad as it is, not only was the car seat full of blood, but so was the ground. :sad:
If someone grabbed Judith, then they had to be bleeding profusely and I really don't think that was the case.

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

Mr. Random

• Administrators
  • LocationColorado
Great episode. I get why people find it predictable especially since Hershel is what I'd call the "easy death" in the group. So many reasons Hershel could die and while he had an impactful death it isn't going to bring the dramatic outrage a "bigger" name would get.

I don't get how anyone could confuse things, the Governor is dead. Stabbed, shot and a horde of walkers waiting to eat him if some how he was still alive after the bullet/sword combo.

And what is the deal with these guys and the unsolid deaths they're giving to the Grimes women. First we're supposed to believe Lori got eaten nice and whole by a walker and then fairly well the same thing with Judith. Seriously writers and executives, what gives here?
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!