The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep 8 - Too Far Gone - Review

* * * * * 1 predictions questions discussion mid-season

The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep. 8 Too Far Gone (340 )

What is your opinion of Ep. 8 Too Far Gone?

1. Excellent (269 [79.12%] - )

79.12%

2. Good - Some Critiques (50 [14.71%] - )

14.71%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (12 [3.53%] - )

3.53%

4. Poor (9 [2.65%] - )

2.65%

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Well, Megan wasn't in the comics but I predicted she would die and set the Governor off way back in Live Bait

And she hasn't even read the comics but thought it was predictable as well

Maybe I should clarify. Up until tonight's episode, I couldn't predict things very well. I tried a couple of times and failed miserably. When I say this episode was predictable, I meant only tonight. To me, Gimple just was too heavy-handed with the directing; if you had never seen the show before, you could still have predicted exactly what was going to happen, almost through the whole episode. The signs were just too obvious.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

@Hargraves24

@Hargraves24

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationNorthampton, MA
That was compelling television. The conflict we waited almost a year for. I was enthralled.

Hershel's death was brutal. But that's what makes good television. Daryl was like Rambo. That's what he has become. Killing him would've been more fun. I'm really happy they're leaving the prison. The possibilities are endless.

I've complained a lot on here about this season. That episode brought me back. Bravo.

City

City

Infected

• Members
Well we don't know what happened to Michonne or Judith maybe they're together? (unlikely I know but give me a break Herschel just died)

steventee

steventee

Infected

• Members
I think this episode was great. It was emotional on so many levels. Although many people knew some of the events were coming, seeing it on screen is a whole other thing, its completely wrecked me. I'm lost for words now. I'm glad the prison arc is done, and we can finally move on to more story arcs...ABRAHAM!!!!!!!

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Well we don't know what happened to Michonne or Judith maybe they're together? (unlikely I know but give me a break Herschel just died)

Oooh. I like this thought!
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

leegreenman

leegreenman

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationLong Island, NY
I thought it was pretty much a perfect way of tying up the prison arc and governor storyline.

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationStill waiting on a bus.
They did it all wrong, it should of gone like this.

-plays Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus-

-tank fires into building, making bricks fall-
-The Governor licks Michonne's sword-
-enter Carol/Miley Cyrus hair style-

-twerk-
-leave on bus-

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
Also, I LOVE the fact that they made it seem like Beth was going to go down with Judith comic style. Seriously everyone has been predicting that since Lori's death.

Maggie being distraught looking for Beth while people were saying, "she's looking for Judith!"

We all know Gimple threw in that segment of Maggie frantically looking for Beth because of the fact that all the hardcore fans have been predicting that was the only reason Beth was still alive.

Alas, Beth survives the odds once again.

So much for this show being so predictable!

rexmundi

rexmundi

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
I am glad Gimple can move the story forward now that the prison arc is concluded. I do hope Hershel';s head gets some closure from Michonne. They cant leaving his reanimated head there for eternity.

leegreenman

leegreenman

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Also, I LOVE the fact that they made it seem like Beth was going to go down with Judith comic style. Seriously everyone has been predicting that since Lori's death.

Maggie being distraught looking for Beth while people were saying, "she's looking for Judith!"

We all know Gimple threw in that segment of Maggie frantically looking for Beth because of the fact that all the hardcore fans have been predicting that was the only reason Beth was still alive.

Seriously. Watch, Beth will be the last one standing.

rexmundi

rexmundi

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

I have a thing for Beth and I cried out no! when they dropped the line in about Beth and Judith. I feared the worst but now Beth will be out on the road with Daryl. Sparks may fly.

City

City

Infected

• Members
Yeah I agree ^^
It was a good episode all together after I got over the initial shock of Hershel.

Daryl's plot armor was showing again, but I like it that way. I really like that character and I'm wondering where he and Beth will go now (not romantically! I can't imagine that happening!) - but how their characters will develop together.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Tyreese & kid co find Carol during the next season?! Considering he never found out

Also,
anyone else in Australia suprised that this aired at the same time as the USA? Usually we have to wait 33 hours or whatever it is? It aired at 12:30pm Monday, Sydney time? I just happened to sit down and turn FX on and it was about to start!! Did it air early in the USA?

Seashell82

Seashell82

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSouth Jersey
So good! I am still letting it all sink in. But I do think Judith was eaten, bones and all, just like her mama.

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating
Excellent episode but I am sorry , I usually hate nitpickers and people pointing out plot holes that have reasonable explanations
9/10

but

I downgraded my vote to good due to Daryl Dixon using a zombie as cover against rifle rounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
I did think Daryl took the news about Carol a bit too easily. But it didn't surprise me because they waited so long to tell him (episode wise) that it almost seemed like ancient history.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members
More prison peeps should have died, (not talking about red shirts) but other than that, loved it

Edocil

Edocil

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationGreendale
This episode was good and before you hear my complaint understand I know the comics are different and you can't kill everyone in a tv show because you have to worry about ratings blah blah blah

but come on! they could have given us one more main cast death, The prison massacure is the red wedding of the walking dead, no! its the red wedding on crack, literally half of the people should have died, and again I understand why they can't do half, but they could have killed one or two more people we cared about... it just urks me. good episode though!

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Well, Megan wasn't in the comics but I predicted she would die and set the Governor off way back in Live Bait

The Guv killed Hershel before he found out about Megan, so it wasn't the catalyst that set him off.

City

City

Infected

• Members
Lioness yeah I agree. At the start of the episode I almost didn't know what they were talking about. But what else could he do? We didn't want another Sophia type search.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

Not nitpicking you, but we need time for character development. I know you think we could have done without sickness and character development for Gov, Lily, Tara, etc but the first few episodes (minus premiere) were amazing and provided for character-centric instead of plot-centric dialogue.

The past 7 episodes were not filler.

What you're talking about would make the show way too fast paced. Wayyyy too fast paced. We wouldn't care about the characters, it would simply be a zombie action show..which is not what I personally want.

I'm not saying the past 7 episodes were filler but I feel like they focused a lot on plot lines that didn't need to be pursued as deeply as they did. The last 7 episodes could've been condensed into about 4 episodes

As for character development...

The Governor and his group - Dead so any development they've gotten doesn't matter

Hershel - Dead so any development he's gotten doesn't matter

Carol - (Would still have the same development in my scenario)

Tyreese - (Would still have the same development in my scenario)

Bob - Given depth, not development

Rick - Going through the same beats he usually goes through so they could've just scrubbed away the changes he went through during the time jump and had him the way he was

Not much development for anyone else. I'm sure Maggie, Beth, Daryl, and Carl will get some development based on the circumstances of this episode but I have to admit I'm a bit baffled on what people have been considering character development for these past seven episodes

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

The Guv killed Hershel before he found out about Megan, so it wasn't the catalyst that set him off.

But it did get him to drive over the fences

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

City

City

Infected

• Members

This episode was good and before you hear my complaint understand I know the comics are different and you can't kill everyone in a tv show because you have to worry about ratings blah blah blah

but come on! they could have given us one more main cast death, The prison massacure is the red wedding of the walking dead, no! its the red wedding on crack, literally half of the people should have died, and again I understand why they can't do half, but they could have killed one or two more people we cared about... it just urks me. good episode though!

Yeah I agree, Sasha, Glenn (I'm sorry I just do not understand the appeal with him), Beth, Bob all could have kicked the bucket here and I wouldn't have been too devastated. Or at least I would have recovered by February. Was Hersh the only main prison character to die? Other than Judith

City

City

Infected

• Members

I think the Guv had that plan all along. He was never going to keep Hersh alive.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
I think I still prefer "Isolation" or "Internment" to this episode. Season 4 is definitely setting this show on the right track but I don't think I've seen anything that makes me ready to bow down to Gimple yet

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Yes, but once he killed Hershel, all bets were off. Once he did that, he knew that it would only go down with a battle.
Megan's death didn't change anything but fuel his fire.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!