Council New Law In Za?

- - - - - law council punishment

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
The thread about the burned bodies got me thinking about not only who did it but how they will be dealt with once found out. So far we know that there is a council to discuss important matters are they the lawmakers as well? Perhaps with Ricks 3 questions the council figured once the person has passed and been accepted everything will run smoothly. Woodbury had its rules does the prison group? If a rule/law is broken who decides the punishment? I'm not sure they have any rules or laws otherwise Carol wouldn't keep the Knife School a secret. If Carol knew she might be breaking a council rule/law then I think she would bring the suggestion of "knife school" before the council. As it is all she seems worried about is being stopped, there doesn't seem to be any worry about breaking a rule or law. This "vigilante" act of killing Karen and Dave may mean the council has to decide on rules and punishments for breaking them otherwise they risk the possibility of each person taking "the law" in their own hands which can only lead to paranoia and more killings.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
I too was hoping they will include a little more in to the governance of their community. I (I presume like many of us) like the story within the story, I have to admit, during the scene when Karen started coughing, I geeked out a little when I realized, snap! we are in the middle of a council meeting.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers
I hope we get a good bit more time with the council - I find it intriguing. Can't wait until Tyreese alerts others about the murders, just to see how they handle it.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

I hope we get a good bit more time with the council - I find it intriguing. Can't wait until Tyreese alerts others about the murders, just to see how they handle it.

I too am interested. I assumed they will be shocked and angry. But part of me wants the response to be more like "Oh yeah, about that.........."

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

I too am interested. I assumed they will be shocked and angry. But part of me wants the response to be more like "Oh yeah, about that.........."

Haha! :D Or Glenn quietly slinks away. :P

Yeah; I am sure they will be shocked and angry. I mostly want to see what comes after that.

Hellraiser-89

Hellraiser-89

Infected

• Members
  • LocationHiding from the walkers
I don't think they have that many rules, since it seems they only come up with solutions when problems arise.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

The thread about the burned bodies got me thinking about not only who did it but how they will be dealt with once found out. So far we know that there is a council to discuss important matters are they the lawmakers as well? Perhaps with Ricks 3 questions the council figured once the person has passed and been accepted everything will run smoothly. Woodbury had its rules does the prison group? If a rule/law is broken who decides the punishment? I'm not sure they have any rules or laws otherwise Carol wouldn't keep the Knife School a secret. If Carol knew she might be breaking a council rule/law then I think she would bring the suggestion of "knife school" before the council. As it is all she seems worried about is being stopped, there doesn't seem to be any worry about breaking a rule or law. This "vigilante" act of killing Karen and Dave may mean the council has to decide on rules and punishments for breaking them otherwise they risk the possibility of each person taking "the law" in their own hands which can only lead to paranoia and more killings.

Shane went off the deep end and Rick killed him. The writers actually flirted with this problem when Shane killed the kid they'd rescued. What if Rick hadn't killed him? How would the group have dealt with Shane? Although I think the group might be hard pressed to do it, they'd probably end up locking up or even executing one of their own because if someone kills in anticipation of a problem, rather than an actual problem, it means nobody is safe.

Karen and David were locked up and away from everyone. There was no danger that they would die and start biting people. They could have been killed easily had they turned. It isn't so clear cut with the virus. They could pass that on to anyone who fed or treated them. I guess all of this depends on whether or not they were actually infected.

As for knife school, Rick now knows about it and isn't going to do anything to try to stop her. He came to that conclusion without discussing it with the counsil. There seems to be a lot of gray area around 'the rules'.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
It's good to see a rudimentary government formed. I think the council has really only had to pass out crew assignments, dictate work groups and functions, and settle small disputes but this will really make them have to work. On the one hand the person who burned the bodies may have dragged a dead Karen and David outside and burned them to prevent the spreading of infection on the other hand this person could have killed and burned them to do the same thing.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I don't think they have that many rules, since it seems they only come up with solutions when problems arise.

This is what I am thinking too. I also think that after Woodbury a lot of them would be reluctant to be ruled so heavyhandedly even if it was coming from a council and not single dictator. I too am also curious about how they are governing the community. There is a lot of dominate personalities, although I would say this is all new to them and since the governer they probably haven't had any tough decisions to make so its yet to be revealed even to them how well this system will work out.

Jamber

Jamber

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada
truthfully i hope rick takes back sole responsiblility of the group (only if he's still not passive-he did put on his gun again) b/c the council, just like rick seems to have their heads in the sand, maybe not to the degree rick was/is but still the council is avoiding the reality of the situation ... no guard duty? ... split up maggie/glenn (if they were responsible for security outside-they weren't doing the job obviously when they're together) .. they were outside in the tower and obviously not paying attention to their surroundings if they don't notice a flashlight in the dark by the fence

this council is totally failing in the security of the group .... bunch a weak individuals, when a strong hand is needed

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

In the comics, they mentioned establishing a council and then
Spoiler
That was about the extent of it

I agree. I'd like more on the council

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
I think that Rick will definitley join the council now and I do not think he can keep the truth from Tyreese even if he wanted to. Who turns agains Carol may all depend on whether Karen and Dave were in fact dead, good luck prooving that. I dont think they can let Carol off scott free even if she did it with good intentions, what kind of message does that send. There is no law, or council members are above the law?

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
If there's a council they have to have answers for the hard questions. What are our laws? What are our punishments for breaking those laws? Without that, there's no real society. You just have a bigger version of the Atlanta camp. No matter what decision they make regarding Carol there will be fall out, but they can't afford to Randle on it. They need to make a decision. Carry it out and deal with the flak of it.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
Both Carol and daryl are council members when/if his is revealed I wonder if it will cause a rift between the two no matter how small. In Season 1 we had daryl ready to kill Jim for fear of spreading the disease (which at that time we did not know everyone had). Now we have Carol doing the same (her only saving grace in many eyes will be if she can prove Karen and Dave were Dead). Looking back at season 3 it seems seeds were planted about Carols changing attitude. One poster mentioned her telling Andrea to kill the Guv. There is also the sceen (cant remember episode name) where she tells Merle if he tries messing with Daryl she will slit his throat.

Since Rick is not currently on the council I wonder if they have to vote on it?

The lady likes her knives... they are quiet and she does things in secret....

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

Mr. Random

• Administrators
  • LocationColorado
I'm gonna need a complete list of council members before I go jumping to any sort of thought process that group would have.
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

I'm gonna need a complete list of council members before I go jumping to any sort of thought process that group would have.

The council consists of Daryl, Hershel, Carol, Glenn, and Sasha. Sasha and Glenn are sick and Hershel is treating the sick. So, the council is down two maybe three people.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I remember in the comics they struggled with the idea of rules in the prison setting.....like as soon as one was set, there was immediately a reason to break it. This world requires a lot a snap judgment calls, and people make mistakes.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

I remember in the comics they struggled with the idea of rules in the prison setting.....like as soon as one was set, there was immediately a reason to break it. This world requires a lot a snap judgment calls, and people make mistakes.

Still there are usually some good hard rules.
Contribute your fair share, don't threaten your neighbor with violence, don't steal from your neighbor and don't murder your neighbor. Societies (Especially small communes) could easily survive with these 4 laws as the core rules with other situations having more leeway.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
Xavier made a god point we do not know exactly who is on the council. From what I gather so far I think Daryl, Glen, Hershel, Carol (not sure about Dr S) Anyone notice anyone else? If the council is made up os primarily core members they will have to handle the Carol situation carefuly. They know her well, might be able to understand her reasoning and as other core members mentioned they are family. However the council doesnt want to look like their is any favoritism and give Carol a slap on the writ as it were. Carol is probably punishing herself especially since her "plan" did not work but I dont think that is eough for Tyreese for example.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

Xavier made a god point we do not know exactly who is on the council. From what I gather so far I think Daryl, Glen, Hershel, Carol (not sure about Dr S) Anyone notice anyone else? If the council is made up os primarily core members they will have to handle the Carol situation carefuly. They know her well, might be able to understand her reasoning and as other core members mentioned they are family. However the council doesnt want to look like their is any favoritism and give Carol a slap on the writ as it were. Carol is probably punishing herself especially since her "plan" did not work but I dont think that is eough for Tyreese for example.

We do know who is on the council. Hershel named everyone when he told Rick that everyone on the council wanted Rick to wear his gun when he left the prison. Hershel named Daryl, Glenn, Sasha, Carol and himself.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

zombiehunter

zombiehunter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
Was Hershel inviting Rick to the morning Council meeting?

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
I was wondering why rick (unless it was his choice) was not on council?
You watch because rick knows about the knife school and the murder everyone will blame him
for it all. It always seem to roll that way with these people

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I was wondering why rick (unless it was his choice) was not on council?
You watch because rick knows about the knife school and the murder everyone will blame him
for it all. It always seem to roll that way with these people

Rick stepped down as leader of the group, in any capacity, in between seasons, as evidenced by the conversation he had with Daryl about him "having earned" some time off. And I don't think we can say where the blame will fall just yet, considering that we aren't even sure on what happened. I doubt the fingers will be pointed specifically at Rick, as people tend to point to the leaders when placing blame on a failed system, which would have them blaming the council.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
It seemed that Ty was sure blaming rick and holding him accountable and wanting
him to find out what happened right now. It just seems when the S hits the fan
it alway comes back to rick retired farmer now

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Remember thou when they 1st got to the prison Rick was the leader. Perhaps hes still viewed as such by Tyrease.

It seemed that Ty was sure blaming rick and holding him accountable and wanting
him to find out what happened right now. It just seems when the S hits the fan
it alway comes back to rick retired farmer now

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!