Random Rantings!!

* * * * * 1 rant

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

That's great, Kid.  A dog w/ a limp is better than no dog at all.  Glad she made it.

My rant today will be about "Quickset".  It's the best thing to use for taping and bedding but dayum, it sets up so fast in the pan.  I've had an entire pot of coffee, trying to be faster and I still have a pan fulla cement before I finish a full seam on my wall.  GRRR.  

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Glass...if i knew anything about that i would rant lol.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Also glass i'm not trying to cut you off....i feel like i am, and i'm sorry. I have to something to say.

I work 40 hrs a week sometimes more....nowi have a child and i'm a single father..so.....i get assistance with food. Now i however mainly buy healthy things for my daughter, i don't buy 5 cases of Coke and Mt Dew...i buy bananas, apples and veggies and things for dinner...now. today as i'm at the store i decide you know what i'm going to get a case of Coke just one.( now when i do this i don't use the assistance i use money out of my bank account, and seeings how i drink one can a day it'll last) anyways as i'm cashing out i tell the cashier the Coke is seperate from all the other groceries, she hears me and says that's fine. Then a couple comes up, and they see the card and what i'm buying so what do i hear? "It must be nice to take our tax money and blow it on whatever the hell you want" now he wasn't meaning for me to hear this....so what do i say? "Well good sir, like you i work 40 hrs a week, i sometimes try overtime....i however am a single father and it's hard to make it on your own i even tried for a second job, and the Coke i'm buying doesn't come from the assistance it comes from my own money in my bank account, so next time before you judge, shut the fuck up and pay attention." Then i left.

People take advantage and i get it, but it's not like i sit on my butt all day doing nothing. Just irritated

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie

For Kid:    Poor, poor Holly!  I'm glad she's home now and I'm sure she'll make a speedy recovery with all that special attention.  I wonder if she'll ever want to play with those labs again!

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

Also glass i'm not trying to cut you off....i feel like i am, and i'm sorry. I have to something to say.

I work 40 hrs a week sometimes more....nowi have a child and i'm a single father..so.....i get assistance with food. Now i however mainly buy healthy things for my daughter, i don't buy 5 cases of Coke and Mt Dew...i buy bananas, apples and veggies and things for dinner...now. today as i'm at the store i decide you know what i'm going to get a case of Coke just one.( now when i do this i don't use the assistance i use money out of my bank account, and seeings how i drink one can a day it'll last) anyways as i'm cashing out i tell the cashier the Coke is seperate from all the other groceries, she hears me and says that's fine. Then a couple comes up, and they see the card and what i'm buying so what do i hear? "It must be nice to take our tax money and blow it on whatever the hell you want" now he wasn't meaning for me to hear this....so what do i say? "Well good sir, like you i work 40 hrs a week, i sometimes try overtime....i however am a single father and it's hard to make it on your own i even tried for a second job, and the Coke i'm buying doesn't come from the assistance it comes from my own money in my bank account, so next time before you judge, shut the fuck up and pay attention." Then i left.

People take advantage and i get it, but it's not like i sit on my butt all day doing nothing. Just irritated

People are ignorant about what they've never experienced and also jaded by the sheer number of people who do abuse the system. You just keep doing right by your daughter no matter what it takes or what others might have to say. I admire you for being a single parent and caring for your child so much because I know from experience it's super tough at times, hang in there.  :zombiethumbsup: 

Jon is fine, dammit.

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

For Kid:    Poor, poor Holly!  I'm glad she's home now and I'm sure she'll make a speedy recovery with all that special attention.  I wonder if she'll ever want to play with those labs again!

Thanks, LSW! She's doing much better so far and we're trying to track down the labs' owners. To be continued...

Jon is fine, dammit.

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie

I don't blame you for being irritated and even downright mad.  Kid  is right about people being ignorant about what they have never experienced.  Keep your child in mind and keep on being the kind of adult you want her to grow up to be.... resourceful, resilient, and with strength of character.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

Mr. NomNom:

There is no shame at all in doing whatever it takes to properly nourish your child.  And NO ONE should judge you for it.  You work.  You pay into the system.  The system is there for people like you and me and anyone else when needed.  It is a social safety net and you are using it as such.  Period.  People suck.  Good for you for taking care of your kid and yourself.  Caffeine is important too!  There was a neat website on how to make nutritious meals on a stipend.  I'll try to find it and post it.  May come in handy for many of us one of these days. 

Oh, and you didn't cut me off!!!  I was just venting.  

Edit:  Here's the website: http://www.leannebrown.ca/recipes/

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

I could use some caffeine right about now. th_tired-sleeping-smiley-4634.gif

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Kid, glad holly is ok. i ment to say that in a post.

Thanks guys for understanding.....people lately just seem like they can judge you for no reason.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Lol, black, I've been trying to quit drinking soda....it's just so hard. Need caffeine

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
Yeah I should quit it too but I don't drink coffee so...

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
Webster is legitimizing improper grammar.  Sigh.

http://www.salon.com...ively_newscred/

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

I saw that yesterday....

My rant for the day is the news. Just a lot of bad shit going on in the world right now. :( 

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I saw that yesterday....

My rant for the day is the news. Just a lot of bad shit going on in the world right now. :(

I'm glad i don't have cable. The news is just more bad than good they never really report on the light hearted things with is news. It's this country is at war.....this gas station was robbed.....I mean i get it you have to report the bad but couldn't we start out with that and end on positive notes?

Also i'm trying not to start a politics war however, the other night when i read we will aid Iraq, i knew people were going to bash on us for this....however when Obama said we weren't going tl help people bashed on him for it.
People just need to stop... it's annoying..

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

I had to take my dog back to the vet this morning. I woke up to give her a dose of meds and her biggest wound had ripped back open, so needless to say I ended up rushing her down there looking like a crazy person in mismatched pajamas and bed head. They're keeping her for the weekend and the clinic closes at noon today, so I won't be able to pick her up or find out how she's doing until Monday, which sucks.

Side note...we don't have Animal Control or any equivalent in my county and I found out that the dogs who attacked her killed another dog a couple of days afterwards and attacked another one. When I called the animal shelter and asked the vet staff, they told me with more or less thinly veiled words that I should shoot and kill them on sight. This seriously fucking sucks, I don't want to kill two dogs, and then on top of that there are apparently two more dogs now running around with them. It's become pack mentality, and how do you deal with that? What, am I supposed to shoot four dogs like Annie fucking Oakley? The whole situation is messed up and there are no proper or humane channels to take. Sure, I can chain my dogs up, but I have two small children and there's a bunch of other young kids in the area, what happens if the pack turns on them? It could turn into something horribly tragic.

It's strange, I wouldn't think twice about shooting a human danger to my family if need be, but potentially killing someone's pet makes me sick to my stomach, even if I am angry and upset about what they've done. Any advice would be gladly welcomed.

Jon is fine, dammit.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

I had to take my dog back to the vet this morning. I woke up to give her a dose of meds and her biggest wound had ripped back open, so needless to say I ended up rushing her down there looking like a crazy person in mismatched pajamas and bed head. They're keeping her for the weekend and the clinic closes at noon today, so I won't be able to pick her up or find out how she's doing until Monday, which sucks.

Side note...we don't have Animal Control or any equivalent in my county and I found out that the dogs who attacked her killed another dog a couple of days afterwards and attacked another one. When I called the animal shelter and asked the vet staff, they told me with more or less thinly veiled words that I should shoot and kill them on sight. This seriously fucking sucks, I don't want to kill two dogs, and then on top of that there are apparently two more dogs now running around with them. It's become pack mentality, and how do you deal with that? What, am I supposed to shoot four dogs like Annie fucking Oakley? The whole situation is messed up and there are no proper or humane channels to take. Sure, I can chain my dogs up, but I have two small children and there's a bunch of other young kids in the area, what happens if the pack turns on them? It could turn into something horribly tragic.

It's strange, I wouldn't think twice about shooting a human danger to my family if need be, but potentially killing someone's pet makes me sick to my stomach, even if I am angry and upset about what they've done. Any advice would be gladly welcomed.

Kid, this is a very hard situation. You know how I love animals and agonize over the death or injury of the smallest creature. I catch spiders in a dishtowel and have grabbed a copperhead barehanded to relocate him out of my area. I don't hunt or fish and try to eat as little meat as human diet permits.

I'm sure you're not as cold as me, but I can drop a human and be at Denney's eating pancakes without a tad of remorse two hours later. I know. I've done it.

The first time I had to kill a dog, I was crying like a baby with my left arm chewed to hell. The paramedic said they'd get me something for pain as quick as they could. I said, "I'm crying for the dog you f**king dumbass. Screw the f**king arm! I had to kill the dog."

That being said packs of dogs are extremely dangerous. They have the pack mentality, but no fear of humans like wild animals.

Were it me I would not hesitate to kill the animal the first chance I could get a clean shot. The same goes for the rest of the pack. Yes, unlike a man gone bad, I would feel remorse for the animal. However, once this behavior starts it doesn't end. We're both country people. We know that. You said it yourself, it's other dogs now. What happens when it's a small child?

If I could come do this for you I would. MS is mighty close to TN. Sadly, the guts of my truck are spread all over the transmission shop floor at the moment and the shop monkeys are moving mighty slow.

So the best I can tell you is; if you get a good shot, don't hesitate. Take it. It has to be done. I'm sad it might have to be you, but sometimes you just happen to be the one there.  

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

That sucks! I'm so sorry.

Since you don't have Animal Control, is it something that the Police would get involved with? Surely, they must realize what a dangerous situation this is. Especially since the pack has killed another dog. It's probably just a matter of time before they start attacking people. There was a case where a pack of dogs killed a woman here.

That is absolutely horrible that you have to be afraid to let your dogs or your children outside. That fucking sucks that you and your family are in this position.

I'm also sorry that you had to rush Holly back to the vet. Please let us know how she is doing. :wub2:

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Please let us know how Holly is doing. I'm sorry you had to bring her back in. :(

I was also going to suggest the police. A dog pack situation that has already killed one dog and seriously injured another is not a thing to ignore. Are you friendly with your neighbors? I think you should first, call the cops to let them know what's going on. Secondly I think it's a good idea for you and your neighbors to try to keep track of the pack, keep a record of anything that happens, etc. 

I love animals, I love dogs...but I would not hesitate to shoot one if it was a danger to my family. I'm not sure if you remember, but my toddler was attacked by our neighbor's dog right in front of me, she was only 18 months old at the time. It could have been a lot worse, but never again would I risk one of my kids. Ever. 

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

I agree w/ the others, Kid.  Take care of the problem or have your dad or another neighbor help you with it.  It's a problem in the entire community.  Everyone's kids and pets are at risk.  You are not alone and you needn't carry all of that burden on yourself.  So my only advice is to ask for some help. I know.  I don't like to ask either but this is a dangerous situation for everyone, not just you and yours.

I wish you were closer to Nashville so I could send a few cousins to help you out.  And I do think that this is a situation for the authorities to pay attention to.  Serve and protect, right?

I bet you were cute in your PJ's with your bed head.  I thought you exclusively wore trap door PJ's though.  

I hope Holly is okay and that the kennel staff will answer if you call over the weekend to check on her.  Try calling up there and maybe someone will answer the phone.  Surely they know what it's like to be left hanging and worried about a family member.  

Take care and try not to worry too much. I'm sorry that this is happening to you.  It's not your fault and it sucks that you're stuck dealing with it.  If you know whose dog was killed, maybe they'll help you out some.  I think the dogs' owners deserve an ass full of buck shot for putting you in this situation, personally.  Hugs from Texas!

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

I would talk to whoever you did about the dog killing incident too. Start keeping a record of everything for the police. Compile what you need before you call the cops, but do it like...yesterday. 

The dog that attacked our dog had also attacked another (my neighbor's). Only, she didn't report it or anything, so there was no record of the attack and nothing the cops could do about it. She felt so guilty she didn't report it, because if she had, chances are my puppy wouldn't have been attacked. She tried to, but too much time had passed, so there is a statute of limitations in some areas. 

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

According to the police, if any of the dogs set paw on our property and we feel threatened, we are allowed to shoot to kill. They will not come out and do anything yet, however. Sadly it seems that they can't step into the situation unless someone is actively being attacked which bullshit, but I will say the officer I spoke to was nice and seemed rueful that he couldn't help. He also heavily implied that my idea of feeling threatened by the dogs was subjective, so more or less I got another shoot on sight endorsement. My parents aren't exactly marksmen and they're out of town for the next couple of days, but I borrowed a hunting rifle and although I completely lack any talent for most things in life, I'm a surprisingly good shot. I've never shot an animal though, so that remains to be seen. We are friendly with most of our neighbors, and they know to be on the lookout. By the way, nobody will cop to owning these dogs. So far it's two black labs and a chihuahua, the fourth I'm not sure about...such an odd pack. I plan to go sit at the end of our driveway around dawn tomorrow and try to do what needs to be done, much as it hurts my heart. They come down our way to run through the fields every morning like clockwork. BWR, I know what you mean about humans versus animals, in a way...let's just say in my line of work we've all helped "guide" people along when suffering gets to be too much and their end is near. The circumstances are completely different, but yeah...you get what I'm saying. You walk away feeling grim, but in a way you walk away quite peacefully.

Serenity, that's awful about the woman who was killed and Steph, I had no idea your child was attacked, oh my god! Did the dog have a history of being aggressive beforehand? My step-nephew was mauled to the point of large, permanent scars on his face and neck by, of all things, his grandparents' twelve year old St Bernard. They had seven SB's and when that one snapped at Tristan, they all went after him. It was a miracle he wasn't killed. Here's the utterly insane thing, the grandparents refused to get rid of the dog and although a police report was filed, nothing was ever done about it. The dog is still alive and has since tried to attack another little girl in the neighborhood when he escaped under the fence. I think it may have something to do with the fact his grandparents are kind of prominent members of "society" around here, even though that's dumb as shit. At any rate, what's really dumb as shit is that they chose to keep a violent dog over having a relationship with their grandson, which is exactly what it came down to. Don't even get me started on the fact they also have six foster children there with those dogs. (They run the DHS here, so fat chance of having anything done about it.)

I hope the dog attack didn't ruin your child's experience as a whole with dogs, Steph.  :sad: Tristan is scared of almost all dogs now. Glass, thanks for the Texas love. Like you and BWR said, this is the country life and sometimes you just have to deal with shit you really don't want to. It's the trade off for an otherwise pretty idyllic setting. 

Jon is fine, dammit.

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

It was our next door neighbor's dog, which he was rather high strung and I had seen the signs in him. When he attacked Liz, it was completely unprovoked. He was on leash just sitting there, and I was talking with my neighbor's mom about their new baby. She was there taking the dog out while they were taking their five day old newborn for a doctor visit. Long story short, he just lunged at Liz, knocked her down and had her face in his mouth. The mother yanked him back instantly and I snatched Liz up and got her inside. She had a tooth puncture over her eye that needed stitches and still has the scar two years later. Let me tell you how much it sucked holding her down at the ER while they fixed her up. Ugh. It was very traumatic for both of us and she spent the following two months clinging to me and afraid of everything. 

They ended up getting rid of the dog, they gave him to someone that lives on a farm with no kids. We didn't press charges, although I had some dude from animal control here trying to talk me into it. It was a whole, stressful situation with the cops involved, the town and animal control. Thankfully she got over her fear of dogs, which for a while she was very afraid of dogs. My MIL got a puppy though and I think that helped, as Liz now loves all dogs. To this day Liz is petrified of doctors though, which rather sucks. Two months after the dog attack she tripped and fell into the corner of the wall, which required more stitches on her forehead. 

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

You'll be ok, Kid.  Think of Holly while you're patrolling in the morning.  It'll make you sad and hopefully rile you up enough to do what needs to be done.  I wish I could say that I'm shocked by your step-nephew story but it appears that folks in TN aren't any smarter than folks in TX or Ontario when it comes to vicious dogs.  My own dog is as big as I am and he's never harmed anything or anyone (except my chickens) but he is capable of it and if he hurt someone, I'd shoot him myself.  He's got food aggression and a weird temper so it's always in the back of my mind when I'm feeding him or simply trying to help him. It sucks.  But it is part of having an animal.  

Whoever is letting these dogs run free is to blame here, not you.  If you take care of the situation, be proud of yourself.  You may save someone like Lizzie and your nephew from a whole lot of pain and fear.  I value animals over many people, too but when it comes to little kids and your own pets, you have to do what you have to do.  Be strong, wee lass.  And try to get some help.  4 dogs is a lot for one gal with a gun.  You'll end up sitting out there day after day and eventually they'll move on and you won't be able to stop them from hurting someone else a bit farther away.  I'll be thinking of you in the morning.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

How did it go, Kid?  You may not want to talk about it yet, but just know we are here for you whenever you are ready. :luvzombismile:

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!