The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep 9 - After - Review

- - - - - Chandler Riggs Carl Grimes the walking dead season 4

The Walking Dead - After (216 )

What is your opinion of Season 4 Episode 9 AFTER?

1. Excellent (118 [54.63%] - )

54.63%

2. Good - Some Critiques (74 [34.26%] - )

34.26%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (17 [7.87%] - )

7.87%

4. Poor (7 [3.24%] - )

3.24%

rumblepup

rumblepup

The Puppetmaster

• Administrators

TWD-S4B-Key-Art-796.jpg

As Rick deals with old wounds, members of the prison have to come to terms with their new environment and ask themselves if survival alone is enough.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

If someone could make a gif of Carl running into the door and falling over, I will love you forever and shower you with upvotes

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members

I was going to say that I hated how they're turning Carl into a douche but the ending made up for it.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I liked most of the episode. I especially loved the last 2 minutes.

Putting out fire with gasoline.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
I’m going to break down each individual portion of the episode

The Overall Tone
Spoiler

The Acting of Chandler Riggs
Spoiler

Best Part of the Episode?
Spoiler

Michonne
Spoiler

Cinematography
Spoiler

What was up with Carl’s “I win” comments, by the way?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationStill waiting on a bus.
Was that the house that Rock and Carol went to back in the earlier part of the season? The breakfast nook and the stairwell looked exactly the same.

Carl eating pudding was hilarious. (I thought it said dog food when I first saw it lol)

M-88

M-88

Infected

• Members

We know Carl is a bit messed up in the head - he has been through a bit.

Spoiler

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members

loved it. Too many commercials though.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

OMFG!!! This was my absolute favorite episode of the whole freaking series!!! I loved the character development of Carl and Michonne! Yes, Carl was being extremely annoying and I wanted to punch him in the face. However, his reaction to what happened at the prison and the death of Judith and all of their friends was totally believable. He's still a kid and he's going to react to traumatic situations the way a child would. The end, when he couldn't shoot Rick and realized how much he still loved his dad.... Amazing. Chandler Riggs has come a very, very long way as an actor in my opinion. Him sitting on the roof and eating the pudding? Such a great touch!!

Michonne! Finally! Wow. What an amazing story and set up for her! This episode had it all; character development, jump off your seat moments, and sheer emotion. Rick is all beat to shit. And Hershel's head! OMG!

So. Michonne didn't have Judith. But I cannot WAIT for next week!!!

"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

At the beginning of the episode I wanted to smack the shit out of Carl.

Then when he started screaming at unconscious Rick I felt for him and totally understood where he was coming from. "You knew the Governor knew where we were and you did nothing." Very true.. I had never even thought of that. Did they really think the Governor wouldn't come back?

Then Carl said he didn't need Rick and I was like  :rolleyes:

I was back and forth with Carl the entire episode but it ended on a high note. I loved him writing on the door and then sitting on the roof eating pudding. He truly looked like a kid again, the face of innocence. Yet in the background there's the zombie trying to get to him to remind us the world will never be the same.

Loved Michonne and was rooting for her so hard to regroup with Rick and Carl. I had the biggest smile on my face at the end of the episode. 

Panda32510

Panda32510

Infected

• Members

Spoiler

she has short hair because the actress who plays her wears a wig/extensions

Hey you. Dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank. Cozy in there?

tumblr_n2yj2qD8Mq1tv5ikso3_250.gif

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
Can someone explain to me the Michonne flashback? I believe it was when the apocalypse first started?

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Spoiler

She wears a wig on the show...

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

OMFG!!! This was my absolute favorite episode of the whole freaking series!!! I loved the character development of Carl and Michonne! 

Did Michonne really have character development, though? The writers mostly just added some depth to her character by showing her past (which is a good thing)

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Can someone explain to me the Michonne flashback? I believe it was when the apocalypse first started?

I think it was a mixed up version of her events. Her life before the ZA. Then at their camp when it started and then when her husband and friend (brother, whatever) were dead. It was a dream.

"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I agree with Jesus Monroe that the dream sequence was confusing at first. I too thought it was a spoof commercial or something. Honestly, I really don't think it needed to be there. We know there is a child involved in her history. We know she had a personal relationship with the two walkers she had chained when we first met her. What we didn't know is why she thought they were monsters and we still don't know now. So, what was the point? I will say she looked beautiful in the scene. 

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Did Michonne really have character development, though? The writers mostly just added some depth to her character by showing her past (which is a good thing)

You could see her emotion. She was finally actually grieving for her family instead of being all closed off. She retreated to her closed in self when she made her two new pets but then snapped out of it and retaliated. Her joining the group of walkers represented how she was pretty much a zombie herself, emotionally. Then she realizes what she is doing and reacts and kills them all. When she sees Rick and Carl through the window, she has a moment to decide if she wants to go in or just keep walking. She chooses to knock on the door. She chose not to be alone, not to be a living walker. I think that's some pretty darn good character development.

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
Hershall's head in the beginning :(

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members
It was good. Her tie in was better than the original comic meetup.

Panda32510

Panda32510

Infected

• Members
I thought this episode was very good. it would've been nice to see little snippets of where everyone is now this episode, but I guess I'm just impatient lol. I thought they did a really good job with starting to flesh out Michonne's background more, even though it was really sad seeing her child who is no longer around :( but I'm glad they explained why Michonne had such an attachment to Judith. I didn't like Carl this episode, even though I understood why he was acting the way he was, it still broke my heart to hear him say he wouldn't care if Rick died, but I guess the ending made up for it. I loved the ending of the episode-so sweet.

Hey you. Dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank. Cozy in there?

tumblr_n2yj2qD8Mq1tv5ikso3_250.gif

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

You could see her emotion. She was finally actually grieving for her family instead of being all closed off. She retreated to her closed in self when she made her two new pets but then snapped out of it and retaliated. Her joining the group of walkers represented how she was pretty much a zombie herself, emotionally. Then she realizes what she is doing and reacts and kills them all. When she sees Rick and Carl through the window, she has a moment to decide if she wants to go in or just keep walking. She chooses to knock on the door. She chose not to be alone, not to be a living walker. I think that's some pretty darn good character development.

Touché

But still, it's not like it was the first time we saw Michonne accepting the company of people (Andrea being the most obvious answer) and opening up to others before. I kind of just saw it as a brief regression into her former self, she faced her traumas, and by the end she becomes the same Michonne we've known for the first half of the season

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I loved the fact that she was walking next to a Michonne look alike with the dreadlocks. That really brought her situation home. 

And the knock on the door. Loved that. "It's for you." :)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Hershall's head in the beginning :(

Hershel's head on the Talking Dead : D

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Touché

But still, it's not like it was the first time we saw Michonne accepting the company of people (Andrea being the most obvious answer) and opening up to others before. I kind of just saw it as a brief regression into her former self, she faced her traumas, and by the end she becomes the same Michonne we've known for the first half of the season

I disagree. She was still closed off with Andrea. They were close because of being together so long but Michonne still hadn't actually grieved for her family at that point. She did that in this episode when she was sitting in Joe & Joe's and talking to her dead husband. She actually moved past where she was with Andrea and is genuinely opening herself up to Rick and Carl when she knocks on the door.

Gwalker

Gwalker

Infected

• Members
Really amazing episode!! Loved all the character development and can't wait for the next episode, so we can learn what going with everyone else. My question is why was David Morrissey's name on the opening credits? Anybody else notice that?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!