If Zombie Guts Work, Why Not Cover Yourself With It All The Time?

Zombie guts Safety walking dead

halo12

halo12

Infected

• Members

Well. Zombie guts are disgusting and probably smell terrible :rolleyes: , but it is most definitely effective, then why not use it while going on a run or hunting for supplies?. It can save ammo and probably save people too B) . Well, maybe I think we need fresh smelling guts, else its smell may wear off when you are out in the open for a longer duration and it will not be as effective. That's the only reason I could think of. Any other suggestions why Rick and Co. are not smearing zombie guts more often?

Shane is the Man

Shane is the Man

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Because making sense is the the forte of this show. Just like leaving the baby alone upstairs with a person who could turn at any moment.

Yo soy guajiro y carretero, y en el campo vivo bien, porque el campo es el Eden, mas lindo del mundo entero. 

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

The lucky audience member on Talking Dead asked this exact question to Kirkman himself. His main reasons is that it's not practical, as it would dry out and lose it's effect, so it would require reapplication. It could also potentially make you sick.

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members

The part that bothered me about using the tactic is this they left their heads clean.  I would expect walkers to be able to detect you this way.  Instead, the one at the bottom of the stairs looks right at Rick's head, sniffing, from a few inches away and can't detect his un-covered head as being living flesh. In prior seasons I believe they covered their faces with walker guts.  

kataurmayor

kataurmayor

Lurker

• Members
Isnt this basically what the whis***ers do in the comic??

NeopreneArmour

NeopreneArmour

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIreland

Michonne's solution worked without her being covered or did she need to douse herself in eau-de-carcass too? 

There would be no audience for a Smell-O-Vision© version of The Walking Dead. 

ssnider75

ssnider75

Lurker

• Members

This has really been a problem since it was introduced in season 1.

It gives the group a "get out of jail free" card when they want it but then when it does not work for the plot, they conveniently forget about it as an option.

I don't think it would make them sick at this point since they have shown pretty much every major character completely covered in blood and guts by this time, none the worse for wear.

I thought about whether or not they would have need to cover their head. I found some pics from season 1, "Guts". Both Rick and Glenn had a clean head so I guess Rick knew they did not have to do that.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members

I'll have to re-watch the episode in S1 where they did that.  I thought their faces were covered as well. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

Back in season 3, Michonne approached the prison covered in zombie guts. But eventually the fresh blood of her wound alerted walkers to her. Therefore, I find it implausible that keeping your head clean would keep you "cloaked".

ssnider75

ssnider75

Lurker

• Members

Back in season 3, Michonne approached the prison covered in zombie guts. But eventually the fresh blood of her wound alerted walkers to her. Therefore, I find it implausible that keeping your head clean would keep you "cloaked".

I totally agree with you. It is highly implausible that you could pass as a zombie unless you were totally covered but that is what happened in Season 1 and in this past episode.

Looking back on Glenn getting swarmed, his neck and head were exposed at the dumpster but he was apparently concealed there too. I think that was BS but that is what they have shown us.

davemotocrosswalker

davemotocrosswalker

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMansfield, Notts
The way I understand it is that it's the smell of rotting flesh that fools them, so the smell of rotting flesh overpowers the smell of "life" for want of a better word.

And I mean I can smell my feet from 6 feet away after a long day and they aren't that bad so imagine the smell of rotting corpses draped over you they can't smell anything fresh beyond that, the hardest part for me to believe is that their gag reflex doesn't give them away I mean I'd be Gipping like a b***h in the middle of that herd with guts all draped over me hahaha

Thanos

Thanos

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationLondon

The way I understand it is that it's the smell of rotting flesh that fools them, so the smell of rotting flesh overpowers the smell of "life" for want of a better word.

And I mean I can smell my feet from 6 feet away after a long day and they aren't that bad so imagine the smell of rotting corpses draped over you they can't smell anything fresh beyond that, the hardest part for me to believe is that their gag reflex doesn't give them away I mean I'd be Gipping like a b***h in the middle of that herd with guts all draped over me hahaha

Damn your feet must smell lol. I agree I would Puke in seconds from the smell.

Zombie_killer

Zombie_killer

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationHampshire, UK

I totally agree with you. It is highly implausible that you could pass as a zombie unless you were totally covered but that is what happened in Season 1 and in this past episode.

Looking back on Glenn getting swarmed, his neck and head were exposed at the dumpster but he was apparently concealed there too. I think that was BS but that is what they have shown us.

So we've learned that apparently walkers can't see heads only yummy torsos and limbs.  That makes it especially unlucky that Carter got bit in the face - I guess that was just what happens when you question Rick ;-p

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

So we've learned that apparently walkers can't see heads only yummy torsos and limbs.  That makes it especially unlucky that Carter got bit in the face - I guess that was just what happens when you question Rick ;-p

I think it just shows that walker's primary sense is their sense of smell. 

Since they can't reason, they shouldn't be able to look at them and make a distinction between the differences. That would involve logic.

I can accept that the walker goo smeared on them would eventually dry up. So, it's only a short term solution. Otherwise, it would be too easy to get out of any dire situation. Not to mention, it would get boring quick.

Speaking of walker logic, Sam just saying, "Mom" shouldn't be that big of a deal unless he starts to freak out further. It's not like the walker are thinking, "Hey, that one is talking. Let's get him."  Plus, his "Mom" could sound like a moan and they shouldn't pick on another walker for being different. haha

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

Sorry Ser, but Sam woulda had no brain stem even if I were his mother.  The kid is a major liability.  

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating

It would be useless on a supply run its not just the guts ya got ya be silent and act and walk like a biter as well.

Not to mention the hygiene aspect of it 

How ya going search and carry stuff. 

Mobility is far better 

Only good for hiding or getting out of tough spot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I don't know, I think the "Mom" thing may matter.  My impression over the past seasons has been that the walker guts only work if you don't catch the walkers attention in a different way.  They smell the death on the characters, so their attention moves elsewhere.  If you start making noise, or if you made fast motions, or anything that draws their attention again, I get the feeling that you may be in trouble.  The guts only work to fool them; their attention spans are so short that they quickly move on to looking for something more interesting.  If you become more interesting, I think they'll pay attention to you, and their other senses may tell them "this isn't a dead thing".  :zombie02:

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I don't know, I think the "Mom" thing may matter.  My impression over the past seasons has been that the walker guts only work if you don't catch the walkers attention in a different way.  They smell the death on the characters, so their attention moves elsewhere.  If you start making noise, or if you made fast motions, or anything that draws their attention again, I get the feeling that you may be in trouble.  The guts only work to fool them; their attention spans are so short that they quickly move on to looking for something more interesting.  If you become more interesting, I think they'll pay attention to you, and their other senses may tell them "this isn't a dead thing".  :zombie02:

I agree. I think it will matter because I don't think he will stop at just saying Mom. I think he's about to freak out.

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members

I agree. I think it will matter because I don't think he will stop at just saying Mom. I think he's about to freak out.

Yep.  That's why I'd go "Otis" on him.  Be quiet and shuffle away from the little boy with the bad haircut getting munched on.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Wait a minute. This whole time was are talking about being covered in guts, but all Michonne has to do it use two dead walkers on a rope and she's safe? This has bothered me for a while now. Sure they tried to give an explanation on it but that's so they can cover a plot hole. Just because those two aren't interested doesn't mean the others can't smell her.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

Carol covered her face along with her rain poncho, with walker blood matter, when she rescued Rick and the gang from Terminus. It worked out very well for her. 
Michonne, escaping from Merle/Governor had the stuff splattered all over her when she gutted one when she was on the ground. 
Michonne's pets were useful in a loose herd gathering, the chains were pretty long, considering, but tightly packed as they were/are in Alexandria, I think it would've failed miserably. 

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Willard

Willard

Infected

• Members

This has really been a problem since it was introduced in season 1.

It gives the group a "get out of jail free" card when they want it but then when it does not work for the plot, they conveniently forget about it as an option.

I don't think it would make them sick at this point since they have shown pretty much every major character completely covered in blood and guts by this time, none the worse for wear.

I thought about whether or not they would have need to cover their head. I found some pics from season 1, "Guts". Both Rick and Glenn had a clean head so I guess Rick knew they did not have to do that.

It's ignored completely until the plot requires the get out of jail card alright. You'd imagine it might be worth mentioning more often at town meetings that it might be handy for everybody to keep a bucket of walker guts in the basement, just in case.

Rick at the wall shouting; "WE JUST NEED TO BE QUIET, NOW IM GOING TO BEAT THE WALL WITH A HAMMER, UNTIL I FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET OUTSIDE, GET A CAR AND LURE THE HERD AWAY"
Carl; "Hey Dad, Glenn told me about the time you guys just walked through a herd covered in walker guts. He said you could have went miles, but it started raining. How about we try that?"
Rick, shouting and now noisily doing carpentry next to the wall; "CORAL YOU GET IN THE HOUSE AND WATCH JUDITH. IF YOU SEE ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS, FORGET ABOUT HER AND GO INVESTIGATE, AND STAY QUIET!"

ssnider75

ssnider75

Lurker

• Members

I agree that their primary "up close" sense is smell but it is sound that brings them in close. If dumbass keeps talking they are going to totally surrounded and have no choice but to push through which will only draw more attention.

I think someone in that chain will be dead come the next episode.

It would be funny if she got Sam to calm down and then Judith started wailing.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

They should just invest in a few cases of this:

article-2295316-18C2E517000005DC-662_306

AAG331

AAG331

Infected

• Members
Well. Zombie guts are disgusting and probably smell terrible :rolleyes: , but it is most definitely effective, then why not use it while going on a run or hunting for supplies?. It can save ammo and probably save people too B) . Well, maybe I think we need fresh smelling guts, else its smell may wear off when you are out in the open for a longer duration and it will not be as effective. That's the only reason I could think of. Any other suggestions why Rick and Co. are not smearing zombie guts more often? I would say that it only has a limited use. It allows you to blend in with the walkers, but if you make any unusual movements or noises, the walkers will realize that your are not a walker and will begin to attack you. So if Glenn covered himself in walker goo and began raiding the shelves of a overrun supply store, they'd notice that he seems highly suspicious, until they eventually realize that he isn't a walker. And that would be super dangerous if they are alerted, because if your in a herd and they start attacking you, you are most certain to be devoured, which is why Sam's going to screw them all over in the next half. And also it's pretty disgusting, having a dead smell all over you. I don't think they'd want to live like that. Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!