Why The Show May Get A Slight Pardon On The Glenn Situation

Comic Glenn Glenn Rhee Show

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

I'm one of the people who thinks the showrunners are in a bit of a sticky situation when it comes to Glenn. 

They're a bit damned if he lives, damned if he dies.

But then I thought a bit on it, and you know what, the comic was kinda sorta  guilty of doing the same thing

comic spoilers

Spoiler

now granted, in both of those situations, we didn't have to wait 2-3 weeks to see if he was actually dead or not, but still...

yeah I'm reaching a bit lol

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

It is a bit of reach with the first one because you're like "Oh shit!" and then immediately realize that he's ok

With the second one, there's no question that he didn't die or that he wouldn't make it

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

DeadOnMyFeet

DeadOnMyFeet

Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Movie Classics Way

• Moderators
  • Location30 mins from Hollywood

I'm one of the people who thinks the showrunners are in a bit of a sticky situation when it comes to Glenn. 

They're a bit damned if he lives, damned if he dies.

But then I thought a bit on it, and you know what, the comic was kinda sorta  guilty of doing the same thing

comic spoilers

Spoiler

now granted, in both of those situations, we didn't have to wait 2-3 weeks to see if he was actually dead or not, but still...

yeah I'm reaching a bit lol

I agree, but they have only themsleves to blame for creating such a pickle. 

So I have little tolerance for their "dilemma", and am therfore not too given to 

granting them said pardon. 

As to you....since when does a Governor have the power to grant a pardon in the FIRST place??

(That last bit was obviously a joke, DGW. :P)

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

TWD doesn’t need a pardon as far as I’m concerned.  I find the whole thing funny, especially if Glenn is still alive. 

I suspect that only the odd reviewer and people obsessive enough to post on message boards are going to be upset about this.  Most of the GA won’t care at all about the series’ integrity and all that stuff. 

But however it all turns out, I prefer to wait and see what happens, see if they show us what really happened in that alley, before deciding if I think it was cheesy or not.  If Glenn is still alive, they will likely show us how it came about, if not, we saw what we saw.

Tvirus

Tvirus

Infected

• Members
  • LocationInside you

I suspect that only the odd reviewer and people obsessive enough to post on message boards are going to be upset about this.  Most of the GA won’t care at all about the series’ integrity and all that stuff. 

You are correct. I don't think they're in a pickle at all. As long as millions of TV/DVR's are tuned to AMC on sunday nights (and they will be) and merchandise keeps selling (it will) they couldn't care less what anyone thinks of their editing/storytelling decisions. I feel like it was a cheap shot too but whatever, I'll keep watching because I enjoy the show and so will most fans.

e1b0gk_th.jpg     eeny,meeny.miny,moe...

hazmat

hazmat

Lurker

• Members

I wouldn't be bothered one way or another if they do or don't show us how he got out(if he does), but I think they almost need to show it, since they already used the miraculous off-screen Glenn certain death escape last season. Even general viewers would take notice of this device. Not only that, it would be compelling as hell to see how it went down, assuming he gets out.

FijiFace

FijiFace

Infected

• Members

Also, this isn't the first time on this show that people have survived when there is no way that they should have.  Think of all the times when a character was completely surrounded and fought off 8 walkers at once and lived.  Part of loving this show is being able to suspend disbelief just enough to go with the flow. 

Could Nicholas and Glenn ran up that staircase that was blocked at the bottom which would have created a handy bottleneck - sure, but that wouldn't have given us what they are building afterwards. 

So I'll watch either way.  They've already strayed from the comics on some things (i.e. changing the sex of a character).  Who's to say this isn't one of those things...

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members

Also, this isn't the first time on this show that people have survived when there is no way that they should have. Think of all the times when a character was completely surrounded and fought off 8 walkers at once and lived. Part of loving this show is being able to suspend disbelief just enough to go with the flow.

8 zombies is one thing. Glenn is surrounded, on his back, by what appears to be hundreds.

Seems people are going by different definitions of what it means to be in a "pickle." Clearly, the show won't be cancelled because of it. There may not be any impact on the ratings. Heck, it could make the ratings go up. But there will be backlash, bad press, and not just from hardcore fans, forum posters, and internet reviewers of all kinds. These things do hurt shows' reputations, if not at the time then eventually.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

In which issue did Glenn take a shotgun to the chest? I have absolutely no memory of that... :S Obviously, I need to do a bit of re-reading...

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

In which issue did Glenn take a shotgun to the chest? I have absolutely no memory of that... :S Obviously, I need to do a bit of re-reading...

i don't remember which exact issue it was, but they were still at the prison and it was after Glenn, Rick and Michonne escaped Woodbury

Walker_Bait

Walker_Bait

Biter

• Members

Issue 39

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members

A way out for the writers might be Glenn living though the zombie attack but suffer several bites about his body.  He makes it back to Alexandria to die a slow and agonizing dead.  Maggie would have to be the one putting him down finally. 

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

Issue 39

Thanks! I'll have to check that one out again and then come back here to give my input lol.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating

A way out for the writers might be Glenn living though the zombie attack but suffer several bites about his body.  He makes it back to Alexandria to die a slow and agonizing dead.  Maggie would have to be the one putting him down finally. 

They could keep him around as  a biter and maybe get Eugene working on a cure.

Science the shit out if it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare

Nightmare

Roamer

• Members

8 zombies is one thing. Glenn is surrounded, on his back, by what appears to be hundreds.

Seems people are going by different definitions of what it means to be in a "pickle." Clearly, the show won't be cancelled because of it. There may not be any impact on the ratings. Heck, it could make the ratings go up. But there will be backlash, bad press, and not just from hardcore fans, forum posters, and internet reviewers of all kinds. These things do hurt shows' reputations, if not at the time then eventually.

If he survives he has literal Fallout 4 Power (Plot) armour on.

Image sigs should be allowed.

JacksSurprise

JacksSurprise

S-mart Employee

• Members

TWD doesn’t need a pardon as far as I’m concerned. I find the whole thing funny, especially if Glenn is still alive.

I suspect that only the odd reviewer and people obsessive enough to post on message boards are going to be upset about this. Most of the GA won’t care at all about the series’ integrity and all that stuff.

But however it all turns out, I prefer to wait and see what happens, see if they show us what really happened in that alley, before deciding if I think it was cheesy or not. If Glenn is still alive, they will likely show us how it came about, if not, we saw what we saw.

Exactly. If he isn't dead they will explain how he stayed alive. I don't really get why people seem so butthurt over the possibility he is still alive. There was nothing definitive, it was deliberately ambiguous and I am perfectly content with letting the show play out as it will.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members

I don't really get why people seem so butthurt over the possibility he is still alive. There was nothing definitive, it was deliberately ambiguous and I am perfectly content with letting the show play out as it will.

Did you see the long shot of the column of zombies coming up the alley? That, the fact that at best he's on his back covered in fresh zombie food, and the fact that the show is blatantly teasing us about it is why people would be "butthurt" if he lives (and I think he will). It'll require a deus ex machina to save him. Butthurters would also be upset, for instance, if Rick gets out of his predicament by being whisked away by an angel who pets his hair, kisses his forehead, and gently sets him down wherever the plot most needs him.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members

Did you see the long shot of the column of zombies coming up the alley? That, the fact that at best he's on his back covered in fresh zombie food, and the fact that the show is blatantly teasing us about it is why people would be "butthurt" if he lives (and I think he will). It'll require a deus ex machina to save him. Butthurters would also be upset, for instance, if Rick gets out of his predicament by being whisked away by an angel who pets his hair, kisses his forehead, and gently sets him down wherever the plot most needs him.

Actually I think that would be frickin awesome.

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members

I really don't know that it's that implausible that he simply slides under the dumpster.  It looks like he's doing exactly that as the shot fades.  His head was against it and it's high enough for a skinny guy like Glenn to get under there.  Someone else said it's like pigs at a trough - there are only so many who can occupy that space despite hundreds being in the alley.   He slides under, something distracts them, then he slides back out after they leave.  Not realistic, but not beyond the realm of possibility.   Either way he gets out, I'm certain they'll show it. 

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members

I really don't know that it's that implausible that he simply slides under the dumpster.  It looks like he's doing exactly that as the shot fades.  His head was against it and it's high enough for a skinny guy like Glenn to get under there.  Someone else said it's like pigs at a trough - there are only so many who can occupy that space despite hundreds being in the alley.   He slides under, something distracts them, then he slides back out after they leave.  Not realistic, but not beyond the realm of possibility.   Either way he gets out, I'm certain they'll show it. 

True, and he really only needs to slide under and survive long enough for some miraculous rescue. Only a minute or two really.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

I don't see them killing Glen off in such a mundane way. Beth got this huge sorta grand finale, I would expect Glen to get something similar. For dramatic purposes it doesn't make sense for him to die when Maggie is not around to witness it IMO.

I can't remember...Did they give a reason as to why they didn't just get IN the dumpster? Seems pretty zombie proof to me. Being brainless, eating machines they would've gotten another distraction eventually.

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationUpstate New York

Major Casting Spoiler:

Spoiler

RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN

Infected

• Members

Comic spoilers

Spoiler

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationUpstate New York

My apologies ,  I didn't think about casting being a spoiler. 

EdC

EdC

Infected

• Members

I firmly believe that if Glenn gets out of this situation (and I think he will), it will be cheesy, because TWD does cheesy with great frequency.  I'm no longer surprised by it.  I even expect it.  It's become a characteristic of the show. 

I expect to first groan, then chuckle.  For me, a show doesn't have to be "good" to be entertaining. 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!