When Did Bob Become A Main Character?

- - - - - Bob main character walking dead season 4

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

At this point, though, you are judging the character based on something that might happen. We have no idea how long Bob will be around. He might be killed next episode, but he also might be one of the last survivors on the show. Since none of us (that I am aware of) are clairvoyants, we just don't know.

Being clairvoyant on the fate of a fictional character would be a real talent. ;)

I think Bob's character has a lot of potential. If you read any of the press from his casting news, it sounds like he is being written just as originally described.

From April of 2013:

Gilliard will play the series regular part of Bob Stookey, a former Army medic who is deeply haunted by his past -- both before and after the apocalypse. He's a loner, though he maintains a charming yet self-deprecating façade.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Sorry, as someone obsessed with his body I just can't let this 'perfectly toned abs' thing go. Is this seriously what passes for 'perfectly toned abs' these days? If so, why do I even bother with all this bodybuilding crap. I might as well just eat whatever the hell I want and stop lifting heavy because apparently all you need to be 'fit' is around 15% bodyfat that lets a vague outline of abdominal muscles poke through when you sit hunched over. 

Okay, I'm done ranting now.

Thanks for the pic. It explains why I never noticed Bob's allegedly "perfectly toned abs". 

Putting out fire with gasoline.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I actually like Bob quite a lot. Not everyone has to be a major character but I do like having lesser characters with some meat on their bones story wise (not a reference to his abs :D ). He is interesting and I care about what happens to him but I won't mourn and miss him the way I did (and do) Andrea if they kill him off this season. I will see it as a lost opportunity to get to know the character better though. Like Oscar, we hardly knew ye. He seemed like a really cool guy and he got knocked off way too fast. 

Putting out fire with gasoline.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Thanks for the pic. It explains why I never noticed Bob's allegedly "perfectly toned abs". 

I completely renege on my accusation. Bob is not the perfectly toned man I thought him to be. :blush:

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

I actually like Bob quite a lot. Not everyone has to be a major character but I do like having lesser characters with some meat on their bones story wise (not a reference to his abs :D ). He is interesting and I care about what happens to him but I won't mourn and miss him the way I did (and do) Andrea if they kill him off this season. I will see it as a lost opportunity to get to know the character better though. Like Oscar, we hardly knew ye. He seemed like a really cool guy and he got knocked off way too fast. 

Who was Oscar?

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Who was Oscar?

Oscar was the black inmate at the prison who joined Rick's group and was shot dead in the Woodbury assault.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Oscar was the black inmate at the prison who joined Rick's group and was shot dead in the Woodbury assault.

I figured. I actually liked him, but wasn't surprised by his death. When Tyreese showed up I knew he couldn't stick around.

Nightmare

Nightmare

Roamer

• Members

He's Dee from The Wire and that's enough for me. Same goes for Tyreese!.

Image sigs should be allowed.

NeopreneArmour

NeopreneArmour

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIreland

Bob invented the drinking cage.

That guy's alright. 

There would be no audience for a Smell-O-Vision© version of The Walking Dead. 

Xtracate

Xtracate

Lurker

• Members

I don't think everyone knew that Bob was a drinker, Daryl knew and threated him at the Vet School and I don't remember who he talked to about the falling shelf at the market but I do not think it was common knowlage. 

Assuming that Bob is merely redshirt fodder, which I don't, than isn't it better to have redshirts who offer more than a body for killing? I like knowing the story, to whatever small degree, of everyone on the show. It does humanize their deaths.

I do agree with that. It is better to actually develop characters some. They are improving.

I like Bob, I like that he has demons to wrestle that extend beyond mere apocalyptic survival. I don't agree that they forgot about it. 

It still was a pretty big 180. I was under the impression he was disliked by the prison group and very much out for himself. The sudden character transition did not show the middle part where he is transforming from a loser to a winner. He just suddenly was.

Breaking the fourth wall specifically refers to looking at the audience when on film, but I do accept your definition as close enough, and I know what you mean. Most shows fail in that area from time to time. I never noticed the shirt thing, I have no idea what your talking about. But I've had other moments take me out of the show. They're annoying. Most shows have them, even great shows. I get over it pretty quick.

I'm a fitness guy myself and I know how difficult it is to actually gain a prominent six-pack, so it always bothers me when every single character in what is supposed to be a realistic world has one. Its not normal to have a six-pack. You're actually kinda not supposed to, but chicks and Ryan Seacrest like it so whatever.

Right, I was using liberal meaning of the fourth wall. Whenever the show reminds the audience that it is just a show I consider it to be breaking the fourth wall.

My gripe was that the "reason" his shirt was off was to bandage his wound. The "point" of the shot was to display the actor's well-toned physique. Get what I mean?

Like in the first episode of Game of Thrones when Theon, Robb and Jon are all getting a haircut with their shirts off. The "point" of the scene was to show girls watching three attractive, well-toned bodies. I can't really decide why they needed their shirts off to get a haircut, especially since its freaking cold up there.

If Bob is a redshirt and I hope not at least he is a somewhat developed character to kill rather than someone I am really invested in or a bunch of people we've never even seen before.  If he has to go I'm glad we got a chance to know him.   

I generally like the part where the men of GoT take their shirts off, sometimes it's the high point for me but I didn't even notice Bob took his off so I guess it was a fail for me if the goal was to get me invested in his half nakedness. 

No, that is a good question.

I'm trying to think. I honestly haven't ever been taken by Maggie's allure until that scene with Sasha where it seemed like she was ready to take their friendship to the next level after they fought off the zombies at the ice cream truck.

Has there been anyone else? TWD wise?

Game of Thrones wise, my question actually is "Are all the women of the noble houses super hot besides Arya?" I don't really know when they've shown an unattractive female (old ladies don't count).

Even Brienne is attractive.

I accept it when they do have these attractive characters though because they are described that way in the book. Except Brienne. 

I do wonder where all the unattractive women are in TWD as well. Apparently they didn't survive. Carol is old enough to not count.

Did you think Maggie was taking the turn or that they were just going to be better friends?

and

Wow really, first of all MM is lovely, sorry she is not to your taste, seconly she is not OLD, not everyone can be a 25 year old hottie even on GoT.  Sorry but "old enough to not count." is so rude. 

Sorry, as someone obsessed with his body I just can't let this 'perfectly toned abs' thing go. Is this seriously what passes for 'perfectly toned abs' these days? If so, why do I even bother with all this bodybuilding crap. I might as well just eat whatever the hell I want and stop lifting heavy because apparently all you need to be 'fit' is around 15% bodyfat that lets a vague outline of abdominal muscles poke through when you sit hunched over. 

Thanks I was looking for that.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

I don't think everyone knew that Bob was a drinker, Daryl knew and threated him at the Vet School and I don't remember who he talked to about the falling shelf at the market but I do not think it was common knowlage. 

If Bob is a redshirt and I hope not at least he is a somewhat developed character to kill rather than someone I am really invested in or a bunch of people we've never even seen before.  If he has to go I'm glad we got a chance to know him.   

I generally like the part where the men of GoT take their shirts off, sometimes it's the high point for me but I didn't even notice Bob took his off so I guess it was a fail for me if the goal was to get me invested in his half nakedness. 

Did you think Maggie was taking the turn or that they were just going to be better friends?

and

Wow really, first of all MM is lovely, sorry she is not to your taste, seconly she is not OLD, not everyone can be a 25 year old hottie even on GoT.  Sorry but "old enough to not count." is so rude. 

That was meant to keep people from bringing her up.

Carol is actually the girl I am most into. 

She just doesn't fall into the typical "hottie" category.

MM had sexy hair when she was younger.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

and

Thanks for bringing that up about Carol's age. I wanted to, but figured I had hammered on him enough today. :D

I think Melissa McBride is beautiful. I've seen pics of her with longer hair and I like her with short hair better.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Thanks for bringing that up about Carol's age. I wanted to, but figured I had hammered on him enough today. :D

I think Melissa McBride is beautiful. I've seen pics of her with longer hair and I like her with short hair better.

I assumed she wasn't what people were counting as "perfect boobs and body gonna tap dat" type that I was responding to and I went ahead and said don't count her so that people wouldn't be like "OH HEY what about Carol?"

Not because I thought she was ugly.

I guess that happened anyway for a different reason that I did not think about. I did not mean it as an insult. She's just in a different category.

Like I said, she's my favorite character and I am totally attracted to her.

She's not your general "hottie" though. She is attractive in a womanly way. 

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

She definitely has a mature beauty about her. Plus, she's the only one smart enough to keep her hair short. I don't want some walker grabbing at my hair!

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

I assumed she wasn't what people were counting as "perfect boobs and body gonna tap dat" type that I was responding to and I went ahead and said don't count her so that people wouldn't be like "OH HEY what about Carol?"

Not because I thought she was ugly.

I guess that happened anyway for a different reason that I did not think about. I did not mean it as an insult. She's just in a different category.

Like I said, she's my favorite character and I am totally attracted to her.

She's not your general "hottie" though. She is attractive in a womanly way. 

My respect for you just grew by leaps and bounds, Naario.  ;)  I took the Carol comment the wrong way at first, too. 

I still really like Bob, though.  I think my problem is that I attach a liking for an actor to any character they play.  I loved him in The Wire, so I automatically rooted for the Stookey character, and I've been way into Jeff Kober for years, so even though Joe is nothing more than a charismatic, ruthless dick, I root for him, too.

"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

I have mixed feelings about Bob. He's a cool character, but then he stole my darling Sasha...

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Wait, wut?

I'm not sure where the guy got that assumption, but hey, my imagination is going wild right now.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

"Alone" was really his shining moment this season. They kept him cryptic throughout the first half of the season maybe to be a red herring in the "who is feeding the walkers" mystery.

But he's D'Angelo Barksdale so I was biased in his favor right away.

moneybegreen.gif

Which show/movie is that from?

"There's no "I" in team" 

D.O.D.I

D.O.D.I

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationScotland

Which show/movie is that from?

The Wire

tricky92

tricky92

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEast Coast

They managed to do a lot with Daryl, 

Spoiler

Getting everyone killed? Are you talking about Beth's boyfriend?

Not sure why you hate him, but I think people like him because he's a breath of fresh air - he's cheerful, he's helpful, he doesn't spend his time pissing and moaning, and he provides a bit of comic relief, which you need in a series this heavy.

Also, when you consider his flashback scenes from a couple of episodes ago, you really can't blame the guy for wanting to drown some of his miseries and recent memories in some alcohol.

Imagine being a part of two groups, and winding up the lone survivor of both.

tricky92

tricky92

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEast Coast

The flashback opening in Alone really started to make Bob grow on me.

That simple five minute scene added a lot of color to his character.

I like him.

I really should read an entire thread before I post. Many of you already captured what I just tried above.

tricky92

tricky92

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEast Coast

Not trying to be devil's advocate here, but assuming you are male, does it still take you out of the story when a show focuses on ridiculously perfectly proportioned nude female bodies?  ;)

My head kind of leaves the story for a bit every time Sasha is on screen, but hey, that's just me :)

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

My head kind of leaves the story for a bit every time Sasha is on screen, but hey, that's just me :)

When GoT shows female nudity, it takes me out of the story because I start wondering where they found all these actresses without boob jobs. ;)

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn your pantry being fat

Well, shit....

Now I feel like a fatty.

"Are you a human being? Then you are beautiful."

tricky92

tricky92

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEast Coast

When GoT shows female nudity, it takes me out of the story because I start wondering where they found all these actresses without boob jobs. ;)

Dammit, now I'm going to be thinking about that this season! Ha!

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!