Body Armor

- - - - - body armor protection

Frank_Discussion

Frank_Discussion

Infected

• Members
  • LocationUp the old dirt road
They have some body armor/ riot gear available at the prison, Glenn and Maggie were wearing it when TG attacked. Why don't they use it when they go outside the fences or on supply runs etc? It would surely help prevent walker bites.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
Glenn used it in "30 Days Without an Accident"

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Thierry88

Thierry88

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNetherlands
It might prevent bites but it also restricts movement to some extend. Ducking under the arms of a grabbing walker like Daryl did when they abandoned Zach's car is more difficult if you have tight body armor on than just a leather jacked and a shirt like Daryl wears. And don't forget the extra weight, the best defense against walkers is running as fast as you can away from them if you are faced with too many to handle. Body armor is of no use if you get tired while on the run and walkers catch up with you. Body armor is good when fighting in close quarters like in the prison corridors when you are moving forward step by step, but on hit-and-run missions you can better be light, quick and stealthy.

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCentral Michigan
I agree with thiery. I wouldn't want to much slowing me down. I'd want to be able to move quick and not give them anything to grab on to that could drag me down.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked and behold, a pale horse And his name that sat on him was Death And Hell followed with him." (Revelations 6:7-8)

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
Riot gear is designed mainly to protect against blunt force trauma from the front such as thrown objects, someone with a club, etc. As has been pointed out it is heavy, bulky, and restricts movement. Body armor, like any armor, is a compromise between protection vs. mobility.

I've worn the stuff. Most likely I would not use it in the situations shown on the show. It looks impressive while it's being worn, because it is usually worn with a black uniform so you cant see clearly where the armor stops and the uniform begins.. It is a psychological tool that makes the wearer seem larger and more impressive. When you see a picture of the armor off body you can see just how little it actually covers.

I think a set of motorcycle leathers would be a better choice, but then you still have to deal with the heat issue which ain't no small thing in Georgia. :blink:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCentral Michigan

Riot gear is designed mainly to protect against blunt force trauma from the front such as thrown objects, someone with a club, etc. As has been pointed out it is heavy, bulky, and restricts movement. Body armor, like any armor, is a compromise between protection vs. mobility.

I've worn the stuff. Most likely I would not use it in the situations shown on the show. It looks impressive while it's being worn, because it is usually worn with a black uniform so you cant see clearly where the armor stops and the uniform begins.. It is a psychological tool that makes the wearer seem larger and more impressive. When you see a picture of the armor off body you can see just how little it actually covers.

I think a set of motorcycle leathers would be a better choice, but then you still have to deal with the heat issue which ain't no small thing in Georgia. :blink:

Cool! thanks for the info, have to say the whole psychological aspect of it wouldn't work on the walkers lol.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked and behold, a pale horse And his name that sat on him was Death And Hell followed with him." (Revelations 6:7-8)

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
While I agree that body armor would be impractical on runs, I do think they could do some kind of modifications to their clothing to add some kind of protection and still be mobile. However, I think this issue is like that of the armored vehicles; in a true ZA, we would be doing a lot of things differently than they do on the show. We have to remember that it is a show, with plot devices that are meant to add to the story line. If Rick and Co. built armored vehicles, devised practical and comfortable body armor, figured out competent guard rotations and defenses, learned about natural medicine, and figured out how to grow and preserve their own foods, the show would be over by now.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating

While I agree that body armor would be impractical on runs, I do think they could do some kind of modifications to their clothing to add some kind of protection and still be mobile. However, I think this issue is like that of the armored vehicles; in a true ZA, we would be doing a lot of things differently than they do on the show. We have to remember that it is a show, with plot devices that are meant to add to the story line. If Rick and Co. built armored vehicles, devised practical and comfortable body armor, figured out competent guard rotations and defenses, learned about natural medicine, and figured out how to grow and preserve their own foods, the show would be over by now.

The governor had most of this covered, Milton has experimenting with light bite-proof armour remember that.
Governor was even defeating national guard units in combat
But then Rick showed up and destroyed woodbury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating
Copying ancient and medieval warfare should work against all but the large herds
Use Armour and shields melee weapons in combination with archers/gunman slingshot in reserve "shot and pike"

pike and shot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank_Discussion

Frank_Discussion

Infected

• Members
  • LocationUp the old dirt road
Riot shields would be good for blasting your way through a group of surrounding walkers. Tyreese should have had a shield in one hand and that hammer in the other when he got out of the car.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Honestly, duct tape. Why aren't they wearing duct tape suits?

SplittinAdam

SplittinAdam

Infected

• Members
  • LocationWI
Ideally, they should hunt out a high school and get some Dyneema armor... better known as fencing suits. Lightweight, with ultra-high yield strengths (350,000 psi.) For reference, the most powerful bite on earth is a crocodile, which exerts 6,000 psi.

I would honestly LOVE to watch a show or movie that does cover a group who actually survives a ZA, and rebuilds a thriving society. Seeing methods that they use to go about day-to-day life, or to further survive by generating their own sustenance, or travelling into the world to obtain things left behind - I think that could be a brilliant show! Don't get me wrong, I love TWD, but I do get annoyed when watching them make stupid mistakes that completely contradict abilities, techniques, and intelligence they've previously shown they possess.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Cool! thanks for the info, have to say the whole psychological aspect of it wouldn't work on the walkers lol.

Quite true, I think in "World War Z" one of the character pointed out that "shock and awe" had absolutely no effect on a reanimated corpse. Anything that is totally devoid of fear is a tough nut to crack.

Again quite true Aggie. If you and I were King and Queen of the Zombie Apocalypse those undead f**kwads wouldn't stand a chance. :D

I remember a good while ago having a discussion here with someone who thought the Greek phalanx would be the idea zombie fighting formation. I thought the Romans at their zenith were a better match. The tortoise formation you show is an excellent choice as is the shot and pike formation. "Gustavus Adolphus vs. The Zombies!" Talk about the match up of the millenium!

The troops would need training, discipline, great physical strength, and of course nerves of steel out the ying yang.

But Steeepph Honeeeeey, duct tape is sooooo tacky! :P Honestly I think you would be better off with some type lure and ambush strategy. Get someone fast to lure them and then sprint through a prepared position that had some height to it. You could rig something like saaayy a swing. You could swoop back and forth over them bashing heads as they milled about reaching up for the just out of reach morsel. Yep, that's it Steph, you're gonna be a morsel in a swing. :zombiethumbsup:

kxwjZFU.png

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Steph, we almost never, ever disagree but I think duct tape would be very impractical. You would basically be wearing a sweat box and in the Georgia heat, that would cause more problems with dehydration than it would protect from walkers.

Again quite true Aggie. If you and I were King and Queen of the Zombie Apocalypse those undead f**kwads wouldn't stand a chance. :D

It's a deal. We'll be King and Queen of the new millennium. B)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I think the only way to be 100% sure is to not get bit at all. Armor can be clunky and add weight when you want to be light and move fast also, it could give you a false sense of security and you might get a little careless thinking it will protect you until it fails.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Hahah I was only kidding with the duct tape, guys. :P Bad joke that didn't fly well.

And yes, BWR, it would be "tacky" indeed. lol

MoreThanABrainpStem

MoreThanABrainpStem

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAbove the reptillian brain
What about firefighter's bunker gear. The outer shell is made from a combination of Kevlar and Nomex. The outer shell is very rip/tear resistant due to the conditions that it is used in. The inside liner out and save it for the winter when cold which would reduce the heat factor for during the summer. The gear is made to work in so it would be relatively easy to move in, especially with the liner out. I'm guessing that rural Georgia has quite of few volunteer departments that you would be able to find gear end, plus many other supplies ie med kits on the rigs and tools. Would be much more available than fencing uniforms. Plus, this gear has huge pockets to carry stuff in both in the pants and on the coat.

I could see using duct tape as a last resort but not as a full outfit. Forearms, upper arms, and lower legs would be the only areas I would do. You could use your duct tape arm as an offering to a walker in order to control it until you take out the head. Picture the way police train with police dogs and offering the arm pad for them to bite.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
There is also a cloth called Turtleskin that hunters and military can use. Their website shows a rattlesnake can't bite through it. So, that might work, if you had it.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Hahah I was only kidding with the duct tape, guys. :P Bad joke that didn't fly well.

And yes, BWR, it would be "tacky" indeed. lol

I know you were kidding but Glenn and Milton would agree with you.

Duct tape save lives. B)

Wicked Lester

Wicked Lester

Infected

• Members
Armour or no armour, I've never understood why they don't at least ensure they've all got leather jackets, pants, gloves and big leather boots at hand, particularly for wearing outside. Such an outfit mightn't help you're overcome by a herd, but it should certainly help avoid the kind of one off bites that have taken more than a few of them out over the journey. Other than weapons, a set of leathers would be about the first thing I'd look for.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

I know you were kidding but Glenn and Milton would agree with you.

Duct tape save lives. B)

Never let it be said I disparaged the good name of duct tape. In the aviation industry and military duct tape is know as 100 mile tape. It is the greatest friend an airman can have. !00 mile tape is very different from ordinary duct tape. It has a National Stock Number. It is bought from a supply contractor. It is also green instead of silver as you can see from this picture.

Let's see, it is also...............ahhh........................apart from the color, exactly the same as the duct tape anyone can buy for 79 cents from your local big box store.

I'd love to tell you folks I spent years taping down popped rivets, bent access panel, and busted latches on aircraft with some hi tech wonder tape, but it just ain't so. Hey, the airlines are trying to make a profit here guys. Pennies count ya know.

Here's a lovely picture of a Ryanair maintenance crew taping up the windscreen of one of their broke down, worn out rags
fine aircraft with good ole 100 mile tape.

So the next time you're lucky enough to score a window spot and have wedged yourself into that ever shrinking, flimsy airline seat if you see someone wandering about the ramp with a big roll of tape don't worry. It's all standard procedure. Anyway you bought the optional life insurance, didn't you?

So HAPPY FLYING folks! :zombiethumbsup: And may God have mercy on your poor souls.

Oh yeah, remember this too. In the ZA use 100 mile tape. Accept no substitutes! ,

kxwjZFU.png

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Never let it be said I disparaged the good name of duct tape. In the aviation industry and military duct tape is know as 100 mile tape. It is the greatest friend an airman can have. !00 mile tape is very different from ordinary duct tape. It has a National Stock Number. It is bought from a supply contractor. It is also green instead of silver as you can see from this picture.

Let's see, it is also...............ahhh........................apart from the color, exactly the same as the duct tape anyone can buy for 79 cents from your local big box store.

I'd love to tell you folks I spent years taping down popped rivets, bent access panel, and busted latches on aircraft with some hi tech wonder tape, but it just ain't so. Hey, the airlines are trying to make a profit here guys. Pennies count ya know.

Here's a lovely picture of a Ryanair maintenance crew taping up the windscreen of one of their broke down, worn out rags
fine aircraft with good ole 100 mile tape.

So the next time you're lucky enough to score a window spot and have wedged yourself into that ever shrinking, flimsy airline seat if you see someone wandering about the ramp with a big roll of tape don't worry. It's all standard procedure. Anyway you bought the optional life insurance, didn't you?

So HAPPY FLYING folks! :zombiethumbsup: And may God have mercy on your poor souls.

Oh yeah, remember this too. In the ZA use 100 mile tape. Accept no substitutes! ,

Oh noooos. I have flown RyanAir. That is unbelievable!

aussie z killer

aussie z killer

Infected

• Members
Ryan Airs motto is "were not happy till your not happy."

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Ryan Airs motto is "were not happy till your not happy."

Lol.

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMassachusetts

+1

An oldie, but good saying:

If you can't fix it using duct tape. You're not using enough.

;)

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!