Photo

Daryl's Reaction & Actions Regarding Carol?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
  • 1,049 posts

I think Carol did more than stroke Daryl's ego; the appreciation and esteem she gave him may have been the first time in his life that he received positive support and it had a great deal to do with his development from the violent lowlife that he was into the man he is now. They are truly close friends; arguably Carol and Rick are Daryl's closest friends.

I doubt Daryl will support what Carol did and what would be the point of going to look for her? Whether or not he is angry at Rick, I believe that he won't just shrug it all off and will be very upset. Otherwise, where is the drama?

But I do think the bromance will survive in the end.

Besides, I expect Carol will be back - isn't the them this year all about coming back?

I really hope you are right about redemption for Carol. And I agree, she wasn't stroking his ego. She actually cared for him and saw the good man he was and the better man he could become.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,088 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

I fully agree with your first part 100%. Carol is family to Daryl and this is going to hit him very hard, harder than it'll hit everyone else.

I don't really agree with your second part though. Rick and Daryl are tight too, Daryl has been Rick's second in command so to say for a long time. Both men often agree with each other (in fact I can't think of an instance where Daryl didn't agree with Rick), and Daryl even backed Rick up back when Carol was trying to get him to cut away from the group with her (end of S2).

I do think Daryl is going to blame Rick at first and vent his overall hurt into anger on Rick. I don't think this is going to cause a huge fissure that will be long lasting though.

Daryl did leave the prison last year with Merle. So we do know that he will choose loyalties when push comes to shove.
I think that this will really test his loyalties between Carol and Rick and he will be very torn.

I can see Tyreese having the stronger reaction because he may feel that Carol literally got away with murder. He has been acting irrationally anyway.

Edited by Serenity@sea, 11 November 2013 - 11:59 PM.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Roamer

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ooooh maybe this will all be used to segway him into the lead of the spinoff walking dead series!

I can see it now: After shit continuously hitting the fan over the course of this season Daryl grows tired of Rick and the group. They no longer see eye to eye, and he decides to leave.

Cue the sad thoughtful song as Daryl rides off on his bike towards unknown adventures... WITH AN ALL NEW WONKY CAST OF MISFITS JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT IN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! THIS SUMMER, DARYL DIXON ISN'T JUST " THE GO TO GUY" HE'S THE LEADER! Watch as Daryl struggles to make the tough decisions, builds all new relationships with new characters in a new area, and of course he'll still be crossbowing away at ZOMBIES!
Who needs a signature anyways?! Not me..

Furies

Furies

Infected

• Members
  • 1 posts
First off, Carol had no right to kill Karen and David. Her reasoning was they were a threat. They voluntarily kept themselves isolated from the others at the prison to keep the illness from spreading. Even then, people were ALREADY exposed. If they had said, " Screw you! We're not sick" and went about the prison then they would have been a threat. Killing them was just Carol's way of doing something. And she was wrong. Rick had every right to exile her. Rick will hopefully tell the truth and Daryl will be pissed and he has every right to be, but he will understand and accept Rick's decision because it was the only course of action, Carol is one step away from pycho...... Just look at that deleted scene from season 3 where she tells Merle he's family now but if he screws it up or messes with Daryl she will slit his throat while he sleeps..........she had no emotion.....it was scary.

UltraAmbiguousID

UltraAmbiguousID

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTonawanda, New York, USA
I was re-watching "This Sorrowful Life" and there's the point where Daryl and Rick discover Merle has taken off with Michonne for Woodbury.
Rick says he'll go after them. Daryl says that he'll go himself and that Rick has to stay at the prison. Then Daryl says, "You're family, too."

Daryl sees Rick as the brother he wished he had, instead of Merle. Possibly, even a paternalistic view.

I don't consider them "friends" at all. Neither confides in each other about their personal worries or back history - Rick goes to Hershel; Daryl to whom? Carol? Maybe about some things, but I seriously doubt that. Daryl is too closed off.

They do seem to understand each others' capabilities. Daryl usually agrees with Rick, even when he doesn't, he tells Rick his opinion and then helps him anyway.

Edited by UltraAmbiguousID, 12 November 2013 - 05:51 PM.

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Roamer

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
Well I guess that we'll never find out what he thinks about Carol being cast out of the prison and if this is at all finally discussed then maybe we'll learn it by season ender.

Lukey

Lukey

Lurker

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationCroatia
I just hope they don't sweep this under the rug... I've been looking forward to this moment for 2 (or is it 3) weeks

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • 545 posts
  • LocationOhio
Is there a Carol and Darryl? LOL This season is so weird and so many loose ends.
last night on TD they was still asking the question what about the rats and what is going on with Bob?
How they have it now I can see rick standing at fence fighting and telling darryl then with a Oh by the way

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Is there a Carol and Darryl? LOL This season is so weird and so many loose ends.
last night on TD they was still asking the question what about the rats and what is going on with Bob?
How they have it now I can see rick standing at fence fighting and telling darryl then with a Oh by the way

How can you claim there are loose ends in a season that isn't even half over? Is it too much to ask that you let the season play out and *then* call it out for loose ends? You're watching the seamstress make the rug, and while she is halfway through, telling her the rug doesn't look right because it's not finished. It's illogical.

Lukey

Lukey

Lurker

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationCroatia

How can you claim there are loose ends in a season that isn't even half over? Is it too much to ask that you let the season play out and *then* call it out for loose ends? You're watching the seamstress make the rug, and while she is halfway through, telling her the rug doesn't look right because it's not finished. It's illogical.

Maybe because the issues aren't big enough to be stretched through the whole season, I expect Daryl's reaction and Bob to be dealt with by mid season finale.
Michonne's backstory with babies should be over in episode 9 or 10

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Maybe because the issues aren't big enough to be stretched through the whole season, I expect Daryl's reaction and Bob to be dealt with by mid season finale.
Michonne's backstory with babies should be over in episode 9 or 10

You do know that there are only forty minutes to the mid-season finale, right?

Edited by Blasko_Z, 25 November 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,088 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

I totally see your point and I am trying to keep an open mind for the mid-season finale, but since there are quite a few story lines that have been set up, it is starting to feel like they have a lot of ground to cover for the mid-season finale. I am hoping that it won't feel rushed. I feel as though they could have done with only one Guv episode, since we never got to see the fallout of Rick's banishment of Carol. It would have added a lot more tension if we had known that the prison group was currently divided.
Here are a few story-lines that need to be addressed:
Who is feeding the rats?
What is the mysterious sanctuary?
What about the enormous herd?
How are they dealing with the aftereffects of the flu?
What about Lizzie? What is Bob's story?
How will Rick's decision affect the group dynamic?
And of course, now they have to deal with the Guv trying to take the prison.

Now, I'm not stating that everything needs to be wrapped up in a nice little bow for the next half of the season. In fact, I'm fairly certain that the Sanctuary and the giant herd won't be dealt with until the second half, but some of those story lines could start to feel rushed or anti-climatic, if not handled properly.

Trust me, I am hoping that I will eat my words after the next episode. Right now it feels like it was a mistake to have two episodes devoted to the Guv.,especially since he is now right back to where we saw him last season.

Sgthewolverine

Sgthewolverine

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 190 posts
Not going to have time to talk about it...we're off to the races now folks.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

I totally see your point and I am trying to keep an open mind for the mid-season finale, but since there are quite a few story lines that have been set up, it is starting to feel like they have a lot of ground to cover for the mid-season finale. I am hoping that it won't feel rushed. I feel as though they could have done with only one Guv episode, since we never got to see the fallout of Rick's banishment of Carol. It would have added a lot more tension if we had known that the prison group was currently divided.
Here are a few story-lines that need to be addressed:
Who is feeding the rats?
What is the mysterious sanctuary?
What about the enormous herd?
How are they dealing with the aftereffects of the flu?
What about Lizzie? What is Bob's story?
How will Rick's decision affect the group dynamic?
And of course, now they have to deal with the Guv trying to take the prison.

Now, I'm not stating that everything needs to be wrapped up in a nice little bow for the next half of the season. In fact, I'm fairly certain that the Sanctuary and the giant herd won't be dealt with until the second half, but some of those story lines could start to feel rushed or anti-climatic, if not handled properly.

Trust me, I am hoping that I will eat my words after the next episode. Right now it feels like it was a mistake to have two episodes devoted to the Guv.,especially since he is now right back to where we saw him last season.

I agree that there is quite a bit to wrap up, and as you pointed out, it doesn't all have to be wrapped up by the mid-season finale. Of the things you mentioned, very few need to be wrapped up in episode 8. Lizzie/Bob/aftermath of the flu (if that ever shows up, which I doubt) can all be wrapped up in the next half-season, as they aren't urgent at all. I disagree with pushing the "how will Rick's decision affect the group" into the next half-season, but that is likely what will happen.

I guess my big point here is that once the season finale is over, and we can see how things were handled, then we can start pointing out loose ends, but as it stands, it is too early to make an even semi-accurate call.

Lukey

Lukey

Lurker

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationCroatia

You do know that there are only forty minutes to the mid-season finale, right?

Yeah I realized that after posting, damn we got only 1 episode left this year... these were fastest 7 / 8 weeks ever.
I guess that the last two Governor oriented episodes messed up my feel for duration of the season. Nevermind, The Last of Us story DLC will fill the gap :)

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Yeah I realized that after posting, damn we got only 1 episode left this year... these were fastest 7 / 8 weeks ever.
I guess that the last two Governor oriented episodes messed up my feel for duration of the season. Nevermind, The Last of Us story DLC will fill the gap :)

Haha, yes it will. Yes it will... :)

Darthstupidius

Darthstupidius

Infected

• Members
  • 8 posts
I think Daryl is going to feel very betrayed. Not in Rick, but Carol. I think Ty will be the one to blow up because Rick didn't deliver the killer to him. This is what I think will drive the wedge in the group.

Kiddo626

Kiddo626

Infected

• Members
  • 13 posts
I think the battle of the prison will happen first, and when it's all over, Daryl will then ask Rick about Carol. Rick has no choice but to tell him the truth. Under normal circumstances, I think Daryl would've understood Rick's reasons. But because of tensions and emotions running high in the aftermath of the battle and all of the (probable) deaths of everyone and everything they've worked and cared for, Daryl is far more likely to snap and react far more badly to that piece of news.

jenja119

jenja119

Infected

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMississippi, USA
I think Daryl will not be happy about this. Not because banishment was an unjust punishment for the crime of murder, but because Rick made a decision that will effect the whole group without consulting anyone. If Rick is able to explain his reasons to the council BEFORE the prison attack, he will still be unhappy but might understand logically why it was done. Carol confessed to 2 murders. She abandoned her humanity and was unrepentant of her crimes. At least Rick gave her a car, gas, and supplies. Tyreese would have gone into a rage and maybe killed her if he had found out. If Daryl doesn't find out until AFTER the prison is attacked, and there are casualties (and there will be casualties), I think his reaction will be more emotionally driven, because no one will be thinking rationally after losing everything they've worked for. I'm not a Daryl/Carol shipper, I think they have a sort of bond, maybe because they've both been in abusive relationships, and can empathize with each other on that level. Losing her, for whatever reason will not be easy.
I don't think Daryl's reaction will be something that the midseason finale will spend much time on. With an impending attack, this weird flu-like sickness, and a horde of walkers headed toward the prison there will be other things to wrap up. Daryl's reaction and how it effects the remaining members of the prison group probably won't be explored until the show is back after the midseason break...

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members
  • 520 posts

Daryl said that he would put a bolt into the forehead of the person who killed Karen and David.

Yep. At the very least, he saved Daryl from having to be a hypocrite. Daryl will HAVE to understand or GTFO. I have a feeling that Daryl's time is running short. I can't explain it, just have a feeling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • 2,713 posts
  • LocationTennessee
If you remember, Daryl talking to Rick when he was digging graves, that Rick being off to himself and all of that; told Rick that he deserved the "time off". Knowing Rick had busted his ass to keep the group safe since he joined and assumed leadership. Several times Daryl said that Rick "has done alright by him".
As mentioned earlier in the thread, this isn't the same Daryl in previous seasons. In his own way he's matured further... as we all do continually in our lives until we die. I agree that he'll be upset, but once knowing the reasons, he'll take it and stay with the group. There's a big difference between romantic friendship and platonic friendship.
Carol committed a "mercy-killing" with Karen and David. Even with the council's approval it's still murder. In a court of law she could probably be charged with voluntary manslaughter (ghastly pun). She had intention to kill them, but wasn't fully aware of the consequences/aftermath.
This example was probably the best that I could find from a google search.

There are differences between the terms involuntary and voluntary euthanasia and active and passive euthanasia. The courts have taken these distinctions into account when assessing the criminal lia- bility of the actor engaging in euthanasia. The rationale for recogniz- ing these distinctions becomes evident upon an examination of the definitions of these terms. Involuntary euthanasia occurs when an in- dividual, other than the patient, decides to discontinue treatment or to terminate an incompetent or a competent unconsenting person's life. 12 In contrast, voluntary euthanasia occurs when the patient him- self decides to terminate treatment or to end his life. 13 Thus, involun- tary euthanasia and voluntary euthanasia differ in that the former occurs without the patient's consent, while the latter occurs with the patient's consent.

So in a court of law (pre-apocalypse) they would have to assess Carol's motives and state of mind when she committed those acts. The damning part of it was she kept it secret, though not for nefarious reasons, but likely because of the exact same thing that Rick did when she confessed. That she would be driven out whereas she wanted to stay. Her intention was to save the rest, but without consulting others and acting on her own... so likely she would've been charged with two counts of 1st degree murder.
We think, when hearing the term "euthanasia" as pulling the plug, an injection, smothering with a pillow, etc., not driving a knife into the base of the skull, which conjures up images of savagery. Both Karen and David were dispatched with an immediate death and did not suffer beyond their illnesses' symptoms.
I'm saying all this not to defend Carol but to highlight the wrongness of what she had done. Taken the law into her own hands.
Everyone it seems at the prison still considers Rick as the Alpha-dog/Leader of the entire group. The council still wanted to have his input whenever he was or would be willing to give it. They still made decisions for the group with or without Rick. Yet I believe that they and Daryl, would've accepted whatever Rick decided to do. If they wanted to banish Carol and Rick wanted her to stay, he'd have the final say-so and vice-versa. He made a leadership decision for the good of the group, for his family and for Carol. Clearly stating that Tyreese would've (attempted) to kill her once she was found out. Rick did say (to Carol) that he was doing it for his son and daughter... but it was obvious he was also doing a "Shane" and making the hard-decision that keeps people alive.

Daryl likely would've been upset but more than likely he'd been upset with Carol for her rash-actions than with Rick's decision. Upset that it was Carol who committed the acts of euthanasia on her own and kept it to herself. I'll go further to speculate that had Carol confided with Daryl or even consulted (asked his opinion -- in private), he may have gone as far as agreeing that it'd be better for (Karen and David) not to suffer. But he would likely also have consulted the council, knowing that it wasn't hers (or his) decision to make.

We see in the preview of the mid-season finale that Daryl is with the group when the Governor arrives. But we don't know if this is before or after Rick tells him about Carol.
Hershel as should be noted didn't seem to have a problem with Rick's decision when he told him.

The big thing will be with Tyreese. His thirst for revenge will go unsatisfied. How will HE react once Rick tells him what happened.

Edited by DeadCave, 29 November 2013 - 07:02 AM.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Roamer

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
Well, I should've known that the writers didn't want to really show a long reaction or handle this issue fully so lets just blow up the prison so we won't have to handle it. Daryl just forget about Carol you know have Beth.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
  • 947 posts

Well, I should've known that the writers didn't want to really show a long reaction or handle this issue fully so lets just blow up the prison so we won't have to handle it. Daryl just forget about Carol you know have Beth.

+1. Not sure why you were voted down because you are 100% spot on, although I will gag if Daryl starts getting closer to Beth.

They completely glazed over this. The two non-blood characters with the strongest relationship on the show and they glossed over the impact of this. I would even argue that despite not being romantic, they have more depth than Glenn and Maggie's relationship. There is a lot of shared hurt for the past, understanding and acceptance in Daryl and Carol's relationship. I don't understand how Daryl could take Rick's word for it that she changed so easily. I do, however, think he understands why Rick chose to exile her rather than split the group and jeopardize the authority of the counsel by keeping her (not that I think they would have voted to exile her but not punishing her in some fitting way sets a bad standard and calls the counsel itself into question).

Honestly they tried to do too much in this episode and had no time to develop this properly.

Posted Image

Steph

Steph

♥Rick's Girl♥

• Moderators
  • 2,663 posts
  • LocationRick's Right Hip
I'm fine with Daryl's reaction to finding out about Carol. He was very upset, but not over the top like he would have been in S1 before he grew and evolved. Back then he would have clocked Rick over the head and gone off on his own to hunt Carol down. Now he was pissed off, but not to the point of doing something stupid and reckless. Besides, he knows Rick isn't a liar, Rick told him Carol confessed to it with no remorse. I never expected him to go crazy on Rick for banishing her. Be pissed off, yes, but not ballistic about it and getting into a fist fight.
Posted Image

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • 545 posts
  • LocationOhio
This is exactly how I thought he would react now/ he is not the same darryl from 2 seasons ago
The one reaction we didn't get to see at all was tyree's
the one thing they have seem to sweep under the rug is the rat feeding and whatever that thing was that tyree found?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!