Mr. Moss Walker And Mrs. Bear Trap Walker

- - - - - Carl Hershel Walker

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

This might fall under the same thing as the "Where are the bicycles" thread: it's just really unbecoming or goofy-looking on camera. Otherwise, I can't really think of a reason not to.

I think it's more that they give each character their own iconic weapon. Daryl has his crossbow, Michonne, her katana, Andrea had her knife, Rick, his Python, Tyreese, a hammer. Of course, the characters will use whatever means possible when the situation dictates but I think it's just to show character traits.

bamasaintsteve

bamasaintsteve

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationJasper Alabama
I agree with all the ones that said to kill every walker you see. Seems like with the mega herd we saw they are already starting to over run the earth. I figure it won't be all that much longer before ammo starts getting scarce so they really need some other kinds of weapons. How about those poles they stick the walkers through the fence with?

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Not like Hershel is Mr. Speedy these days, ya know?

I wouldn't leave one walker that got within 20 feet of me. Never know when one of them could start a herd, bite a random person ...

True. But all they looked like they had at the time on them were bullets. I would treat bullets in ZA like precious gold.

As far as all the sword talk, using a sword would have its uses but its not as easy to find. Plus they would all look kind of ridiculous if they were all sword-weilding ninjas. Only Michonne makes that look good.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I agree with most here I think the scene was trying to demonstrate the needless killing of walkers that pose no threat unfortunately I fully believe that every walker is a threat. Right now in the ZA there are more walkers than humans which means there is the potential for walkers that you think are harmless to kill. Examples of course are Morgan's wife and the mud walker that killed Dale. And even the clearing out of the barn of walkers lead to finding Sophia.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

bobafett4life

bobafett4life

Infected

• Members
while i mostly agree with the above. i would try to kill any and all walkers if given the chance, there are reasons we dont have everyone wearing the riot gear from early seasons. if everyone walked around in full riot gear with shields and spears, yes they would have MUCH better protection and killing ability. But the story would have less deaths due to walkers which i just cant have. I need walker deaths!!

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members
"Mr Moss Walker and Bear Trap" sounds like a late-seventies, early 80s show.

I get where Herschel is going with Carl. On the other hand, it isn't good general policy. Carl knows this. He's not a dumb kid (anymore). So the question is, how is teenaged Carl going to react to being directly told he is too chaotic?

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

While I don't disagree with you, this did raise a question in my head: Is risking your ammunition and personal well-being worth it if the walkers aren't an immediate threat? Imagine Rick sees a lone walker in a field and, not wanting to use his revolver and potentially attract more, he goes at it with a knife. While striking the zombie, something sharp on the zombie's person cuts Rick, and the blood from stabbing it gets in his wound. Or say Rick trips, or misses the killing point on his first swing giving the zombie the opportunity it needs to bite, or another zombie is lying nearby in grass (like bike walker) that he doesn't see and he gets bit that way?

The big point here is, when does it become irresponsible to kill a walker, just because it's there?

I know what you mean. There is always a risk. But if it is a reasonable risk, like pruning moss man with a sharp stick or using a sword, as others have mentioned, I think it would be worth taking. Plus, you'd improve your fighting skills and aim with constant practice. Leaving walkers viable when taking them out would be relatively doable seems like the bigger risk to me. It only takes one walker to kill a person when their back is turned. But I respect your POV.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I know what you mean. There is always a risk. But if it is a reasonable risk, like pruning moss man with a sharp stick or using a sword, as others have mentioned, I think it would be worth taking. Plus, you'd improve your fighting skills and aim with constant practice. Leaving walkers viable when taking them out would be relatively doable seems like the bigger risk to me. It only takes one walker to kill a person when their back is turned. But I respect your POV.

Well said. There are definitely pros and cons to each approach, but it seems like the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to killing walkers.

Dr.ChimRitchels

Dr.ChimRitchels

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationDetroit, MI
The moss walker was cool, but I think the coolest zombie in the episode- in this season, so far, in fact- was the one who was at the fence, then turned around when he heard Carol unclogging the water line. His entire lower half of his face was pulled loose & just dangling around his choppers. Awesome!

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Given that we have just witnessed the largest herd ever, I think that they should eliminate any walker any chance they get without taking any unnecessary risks. Also, Bear trap walker still posed a risk. What if she came across someone sleeping in the woods?

That being said, I did understand Hershel's response to Carl. Even though they were walkers, not humans, he just didn't want to encourage Carl's trigger happiness.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

I don't know why more of them don't carry a sword, or a spear of some sort. Something to give them a bit of distance, yet still make the silent kill.

Duane and Sasha used shovels. That seems like a good melee weapon that allows for some distance.

Also, I am in the kill every walker you can camp. Carl didn't need to use bullets. He could have stomped on the moss walker and used his knife or a big stick on bear trap walker.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

feed_cantona

feed_cantona

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
They should have ended the two in the woods with a blade. I can see a risk with a one legged man and a shorty doing it though.

Wonder if anyone has checked the library for a Max Brooks book :-)

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
For some reason I'm thinking of moss walker as a kind of representation of the Green Man myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man

Kikora

Kikora

Lurker

• Members
I'm always for killing every walker that you have a chance to kill, it's just stupid not to! Even if you don't think, and think being the operative word, that a walker is dangerous, it could still kill someone.

People keep saying, "It's just one walker..." But no, it's one or two walkers at a time. They have had opportunities to take out walkers and just shrug and decide it's not worth it, an attitude which has killed two characters in the series already. The fact is that every walker is dangerous and can spawn new walkers, which makes eliminating them when possible a necessity for survival. This attitude of 'Eh, it isn't a threat to me' is really aggravating, because I can see how nearly every character has done it at least once. How many walkers have they ignored or created because of this arrogance?

Also: As for Hershel teaching Carl control, I see this scene as doing the exact opposite. Carl already knows that Walkers are dangerous, he knows the difference between life and death, and he known the consequences of not taking action when he should. Dale died because he didn't take care of a walker, and that is not something he is capable of just shrugging off for plot convenience. By telling Carl to ignore walkers, Hershel isn't teaching him to value human life or to assess risk, he is just proving why it is they need a more practical view on walker extermination.

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
I also agree they should have quietly killed the walkers. Too dangerous to leave them!

CraneWalker

CraneWalker

Infected

• Members
Did everyone forget what happened to Dale ?

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
It was dumb to leave the bear trap walker, if it pulls hard enough it could probably set itself free, and moss walker has the perfect camo to attack unsuspecting people. moss walker looked cool, deff my fave lurker. Great Hershell Carl moment and a nice change from the last time Carl went into the woods and didn't kill a walker.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating
There was a walker on its back unable to move at very start of "internment" as rick drove by like the moss walker
another sign that they may be decaying

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
Weren't there some dogs eating that walker in a different shot?
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

There was a walker on its back unable to move at very start of "internment" as rick drove by like the moss walker
another sign that they may be decaying

A pack of dogs was eating it though, so I took that as they hunted it down, not that it had just fallen over and was rotting away.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!