Mr. Moss Walker And Mrs. Bear Trap Walker

- - - - - Carl Hershel Walker

zombiehunter

zombiehunter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
So that was an interesting couple of walkers.

The Moss Walker looked so hollow. So strange that moss was growing on him. Isn't it a lichen or fungus of sorts? Would it grow on dead flesh? That guy must have died very early on in the ZA.

And was Bear Trap Walker tethered? Is that why Hershel wasn't worried?

Odd little campsite so near the prison. I think the scene was supposed to show Carls reluctant restraint. Hershel played the wise elder well.

Thoughts?

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
Moss is actually a photosynthetic plant. Which is why moss grows 'on the north side of trees' (in reality the side with the most Sun exposure)

Personally I don't see the point in NOT killing walkers. They aren't people. If it was a waste of ammo, pick up a rock and start bashing. These things are a threat and should be destroyed (not killed... destroyed since only living things can be killed.) When ever the opportunity safely presents itself. Bear trap zombie can just as easily wait for the trap to rust off and go off and munch someone. Something Carl would know from the Marsh-Ninja Zombie that killed Dale.

Carl had to learn you don't gun down living people. I get that, BUT not killing the walker is like NOT fixing the fence when it's damaged. You don't let that go till its about to topple.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Hershel's always been uncomfortable with the idea of killing walkers, hence his zombie barn. Obviously he came to terms with it and had killed many walkers himself since then, but only when he or the group were in danger. The bear trap zombie wasn't tethered, but it could only move very slowly and couldn't run after them or anything. The other walker had become part of a tree as well, so he didn't see these walkers as an immediate threat. I also think he was trying to teach Carl to only use his weapon when absolutely necessary, still reeling him back a bit from when he got a little trigger happy at the end of last season.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
I think Hershel wasn't worried not because it wasn't tethered but because it had the bear trap on and was limping, there was no way it could have caught them as it couldn't run like a more functioning walker.

I forgot to comment on this in the original review thread but I was taken back by the fact it got caught a bear trap at all. I thought back to the traps Rick and the group set and wondered if that person stumbled into one of theirs they set up.

zombiehunter

zombiehunter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
I just though the walker just clumsily stepped on the bear trap.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Hershel's always been uncomfortable with the idea of killing walkers, hence his zombie barn. Obviously he came to terms with it and had killed many walkers himself since then, but only when he or the group were in danger. The bear trap zombie wasn't tethered, but it could only move very slowly and couldn't run after them or anything. The other walker had become part of a tree as well, so he didn't see these walkers as an immediate threat. I also think he was trying to teach Carl to only use his weapon when absolutely necessary, still reeling him back a bit from when he got a little trigger happy at the end of last season.

You get the Stanley, since I find myself nodding in agreement to most of your posts. :D

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I already mentioned in another forum carls trigger finger is starting to itch...only a matter of time until he shoots something.

I agree though kill every walker you can. If not it ends up in a herd.

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCentral Michigan

I already mentioned in another forum carls trigger finger is starting to itch...only a matter of time until he shoots something.

I agree though kill every walker you can. If not it ends up in a herd.

agreed, I would have morgan's mentality about it. how he has to "clear". every walker down is one less to deal with.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked and behold, a pale horse And his name that sat on him was Death And Hell followed with him." (Revelations 6:7-8)

marquito42

marquito42

Infected

• Members
At first I thought the bear trap walker was the woman Rick met in episode 1 of season 4.
The thing is...when you consider the amount of walkers the others ran into with the car...what does one or two walkers matter?

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
I think it was to show Carl is struggling to overcome his trigger happiness from the last season, but I would rather they do that with a living person. Walkers count as environmental hazards that need to be cleared ( No pun meant ) not potential victims of murder. A better test would be for him to over hear it was Carol who killed Karen and David and then go to gun her down for it, only for him to back off and tell her to leave and never return.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
I have to say that moss walker was awesome, great makeup on that guy. I like how it depicted that even when they rot away to almost nothing, they're still moving around and will chomp down on you if they can. We already saw that with bicycle girl, but it's still cool to see.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers
I actually preferred the animal trap walker; I thought the moss walker was too obviously a puppet. Plus, I thought the animal trap idea was pretty clever.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
Destroy them all. There is no reason not to. If moss walker can still be viable after becoming a potted plant someone might someday step on him without realizing he is there. Bam, a new walker gets created. This group should have a zero tolerance policy. Especially after their Dale and the mud walker experience. Will they never learn?
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Destroy them all. There is no reason not to. If moss walker can still be viable after becoming a potted plant someone might someday step on him without realizing he is there. Bam, a new walker gets created. This group should have a zero tolerance policy. Especially after their Dale and the mud walker experience. Will they never learn?

While I don't disagree with you, this did raise a question in my head: Is risking your ammunition and personal well-being worth it if the walkers aren't an immediate threat? Imagine Rick sees a lone walker in a field and, not wanting to use his revolver and potentially attract more, he goes at it with a knife. While striking the zombie, something sharp on the zombie's person cuts Rick, and the blood from stabbing it gets in his wound. Or say Rick trips, or misses the killing point on his first swing giving the zombie the opportunity it needs to bite, or another zombie is lying nearby in grass (like bike walker) that he doesn't see and he gets bit that way?

The big point here is, when does it become irresponsible to kill a walker, just because it's there?

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationStill waiting on a bus.
I originally thought it was the Irish girl that tried killing rock in the season opener, but then she didn't have any legs. But that would of been cool if it were her,

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

I think Hershel wasn't worried not because it wasn't tethered but because it had the bear trap on and was limping, there was no way it could have caught them as it couldn't run like a more functioning walker.
{snip}

Not like Hershel is Mr. Speedy these days, ya know?

I wouldn't leave one walker that got within 20 feet of me. Never know when one of them could start a herd, bite a random person ...

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

I agree with this. However, I also think killing walkers as a matter of course is a good idea. They all need to be eliminated and if you are out there and one or two are easy to get rid of, do it. As pointed out by Chinghis, it could become part of a herd or one more walker to gang up on the fence. You don't leave an enemy behind you, if you can help it.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members

While I don't disagree with you, this did raise a question in my head: Is risking your ammunition and personal well-being worth it if the walkers aren't an immediate threat? Imagine Rick sees a lone walker in a field and, not wanting to use his revolver and potentially attract more, he goes at it with a knife. While striking the zombie, something sharp on the zombie's person cuts Rick, and the blood from stabbing it gets in his wound. Or say Rick trips, or misses the killing point on his first swing giving the zombie the opportunity it needs to bite, or another zombie is lying nearby in grass (like bike walker) that he doesn't see and he gets bit that way?

The big point here is, when does it become irresponsible to kill a walker, just because it's there?

Yeah going at a lone walker with a knife could be an unnecessary risk but why haven't they taken a page from michonne's book and started using swords or machetes. Silent close quarter kills with a little more room for error.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked and behold, a pale horse And his name that sat on him was Death And Hell followed with him." (Revelations 6:7-8)

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Yeah going at a lone walker with a knife could be an unnecessary risk but why haven't they taken a page from michonne's book and started using swords or machetes. Silent close quarter kills with a little more room for error.

I don't know why more of them don't carry a sword, or a spear of some sort. Something to give them a bit of distance, yet still make the silent kill.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I don't know why more of them don't carry a sword, or a spear of some sort. Something to give them a bit of distance, yet still make the silent kill.

It might be a bit awkward to get used to carrying, but it could be invaluable.

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

It might be a bit awkward to get used to carrying, but it could be invaluable.

If they're in a vehicle, just put the spears in the trunk. Once you're out walking, it could also serve as a walking stick, sort of like what you'd use while hiking. I think it's something you'd get used to fairly quickly, they're light after all.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
Or some other kind of polearm. A broom stick with a sharpened piece of rebar attached to the end could be good. You would want something lightweight but strong enough to push back a group of walkers with and sharp enough to pierce the skin and skull easily. It also needs to be something that won't snag in the puncture. A weapon like that would be invaluable; it's good for defense, pushing back, and killing without getting so close.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
This might fall under the same thing as the "Where are the bicycles" thread: it's just really unbecoming or goofy-looking on camera. Otherwise, I can't really think of a reason not to.

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
Lol spears and riot Shields. Teach the people how to fight in formation and we could have a "300" style battle

BrotherDixon

BrotherDixon

S-mart Employee

• Members
There is that big herd of 7500 possibly heading the prisons way :)

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!