Herd In The Woods

- - - - -

Thierry88

Thierry88

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNetherlands
Perhaps this question is already asked here once or multiple times. After Carl shoots walker Shane, the herd in the woods is alerted and turns towards the farm. However, Rick and Shane in one group and Glenn and Daryl in the other had been walking through the woods for what seemed to be hours in search for Randall and never came across a single walker apart from Randall himself. With the few individual walkers they encountered in the woods in earlier episodes and the size of the herd that came by, it seems quite impossible they can walk through the woods without running in to a couple of walkers.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
Not trying to be rude, but does it really matter? Glenn and Daryl were most likely in another section of the woods from where the herd was coming from.

Thierry88

Thierry88

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNetherlands

Not trying to be rude, but does it really matter? Glenn and Daryl were most likely in another section of the woods from where the herd was coming from.

I am just curious, so in that way it does matter to me otherwise I wouldn't ask it here. It just seemed unlogical to me they never come across a walker with a herd that size so close. I know the herd seemed to walk past the farm and only turned around 90 degrees when the gunshot echoes through the farmland, but taking the walker Rick and Daryl cut open, the one that attacked Andrea before Maggie showed up on a horse, those that ate the flesh from the walker hanging on a tree, two walkers attacking Daryl after he fell down the hill and the walker Carl let loose resulting in Dale's death together it seemed there are enough walkers in the woods before the herd showed up.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
They were out in those woods until night so I'm sure that they came across walkers in those woods while searching for Randall and either disposed of them or snuck around them. Daryl and Glenn went in the opposite direction of Rick and Shane so they were on the other side of the woods while Rick and Shane were on the side closest to the approaching herd. So yes, I'm sure they encountered walkers during their search for Randall, but it just wasn't shown.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Keep in mind there were woods completely surrounding Hershel's farm. Both groups of Shane/Rick and Daryl/Glenn could easily have been looking through certain areas of forest and still not be close enough to bump into stray walkers from the herd, perhaps if they started on the opposite side from where the herd was and worked their way towards them. For example, the survivors could have entered the woods on the south side of the farm while the herd was passing by on the northern side.

The herd pretty much all stayed together in one big group rather than dispersing through the woods, so I can believe not encountering any of them until you got close enough to their path. The herd might have ended up walking straight past the farm altogether if the gunfire hadn't drawn them in that direction.

Thierry88

Thierry88

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNetherlands
I absolutely believe the herd would walk passed the farm without causing any harm if the gunshot didn't draw them. They were shown to turn around 90 degrees to the sound of the gunshot. However, to me it seemed that especially Rick and Shane walked more in the direction of the herd, as the place were Shane plotted to kill Rick seemed between the herd and the farm. But on the other hand I had the impression Shane was just leading Rick into circles until he had found a suitable place to get rid of Rick, because they were still quite close to the farm. It might be just a coincidence they ended up between the farm and the herd.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I do think Shane was probably leading Rick in circles. I say that because in the end, they weren't really that far from the farm (close enough for Carl to easily find them) and they had been out there for possibly hours.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!