The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep 2 - Infected - Review

- - - - - rick the prison the walking dead season 4 review rate and review

The Walking Dead - Infected (232 )

What was your opinion of Episode 2 - Infected?

1. Excellent (134 [57.76%] - )

57.76%

2. Good - Some Critiques (80 [34.48%] - )

34.48%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (13 [5.60%] - )

5.60%

4. Poor (5 [2.16%] - )

2.16%

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

I know there are a lot of flaws to what I'm going to suggest but I'm going to suggest it anyway for the sake of conversation.

There is way more man-power at the prison since the Woodbury crew showed up. I'm assuming there was some point in time when the walkers weren't herding like they are now so my thoughts are; why didn't they dig a moat around the prison? I know that probably sounds a little silly like building a castle but in all seriousness that would prevent walkers from threatening the fences in any way. With the amount of people they have there now I feel like they should have been able to have one crew who fended off walkers while the other crew dug the trench and just do little by little if need be. They're very efficient at killing walkers at this point so you'd think they could defend the diggers without much problem as long as the walkers were spread out. Even if they only did it on just the most dangerous side of the prison and not the whole way around it would be effective. Or they could dig trenches on the inside of the prison as a backup plan in case the walkers finally broke in. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I actually agree with this. As far as fortifications go, the prison could use some beefing up. A muddy moat would definitely slow the walkers down some. Someone else suggested parking the abandoned cars and buses around the perimeter of the fence to keep the walkers from being right up on it. There are a lot of other things to do as well, like building more of the wood stake palisades. And they could implement some of the Woodbury wind-powered walker magnets to focus the walkers away from the prison. Hell, they could even improvise a wooden catapult or something to spew animal body parts out away from the fence if they do start piling up.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
Oh, Valleyaggie. One minute it is all the proper rearing of children within the confines of the zombie apocalypse the next it's...

spew animal body parts out away from the fence if they do start piling up.

How we love thee :wub:

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

I agree that Karen being the body burner would be quite ridiculous. I think the bracelet on her arm was just to help us, the audience, identify her.

That's why I think the writers would make it Karen. It was obvious it was her before we even zoomed in on the bracelet. I know this isn't a subtle show but it doesn't feel right for them to shove something that far down our throats unless it meant something

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Oh, Valleyaggie. One minute it is all the proper rearing of children within the confines of the zombie apocalypse the next it's...

How we love thee :wub:

Awwwe! Such accolades will turn my head! lol
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN

4) Will Rick put his sheriff's shirt back on now?

If he does ill end up squealing like a girl!

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

That's why I think the writers would make it Karen. It was obvious it was her before we even zoomed in on the bracelet. I know this isn't a subtle show but it doesn't feel right for them to shove something that far down our throats unless it meant something

I think a majority of the TV audience need to be spoon fed like that because they aren't picking apart every little detail, like we are. I said in another thread, but, I will be extremely disappointed if it turns out that Karen faked her death because she is a mole for the governor, or something. There has been absolutely no set up for that kind of thing, and a crazy twist like that would be totally unearned.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

I think a majority of the TV audience need to be spoon fed like that because they aren't picking apart every little detail, like we are. I said in another thread, but, I will be extremely disappointed if it turns out that Karen faked her death because she is a mole for the governor, or something. There has been absolutely no set up for that kind of thing, and a crazy twist like that would be totally unearned.

I fully agree. Especially after TG tried to mow her down in a spray of bullets at the end of the last season. That's not the sort of thing you just brush off and decide to go back to the person who tried to murder you and do a big favor for them.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
I like this show because it uses both the hammer and the scalpel.

Hammer: Those walkers definately are trying to kill those guys.

Scalpel: rick drives by the hitchhiker (e.g. Rick still doesn't trust people)

and when we are real lucky (or observant)we can catch the scalpel before the Hammer:
Hershel is bent down helping rick with garden a few inches of a prothstetic showing; later: Hershel sits and rubs his stump while talking to Rick. (shut-up the joke is to obvious)

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members
One thing I just remembered about the pigs - When Rick picked up the last one and looked at it, I half-expected him to say "Goodbye, Violet. Thanks." Or something like that.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

One thing I just remembered about the pigs - When Rick picked up the last one and looked at it, I half-expected him to say "Goodbye, Violet. Thanks." Or something like that.

It wasn't Violet, it was one of her piglets. Violet was already dead.

DoctorManhattan89

DoctorManhattan89

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPittsburgh

I actually agree with this. As far as fortifications go, the prison could use some beefing up. A muddy moat would definitely slow the walkers down some. Someone else suggested parking the abandoned cars and buses around the perimeter of the fence to keep the walkers from being right up on it. There are a lot of other things to do as well, like building more of the wood stake palisades. And they could implement some of the Woodbury wind-powered walker magnets to focus the walkers away from the prison. Hell, they could even improvise a wooden catapult or something to spew animal body parts out away from the fence if they do start piling up.

Exactly! And I don't mean a moat filled with water, should have clarified that. Just a big trench around the prison would both prevent the walkers from getting to the fences or they would fall in and be trapped. I guess for the shows sake we have to accept the fact that if the survivors did do some things that we suggest the prison would become impregnable and there would be no threat. No threat equals no show!
"We're all puppets Laurie, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

greatbignow

greatbignow

Infected

• Members

Carol teaching the kids survival is okay (not keeping the other adults in loop is foolhardy though) but the way she was insisting that the girls put down their father - that was fu**ed up. That was like crossing a line and going beyond. Does she not see the adverse reactions of such actions on kids - she has Carl as an example. The kids may turn into psychopaths. Is it worth destroying their humanity. I hated that scene very much and Carol too in that moment.

I found it interesting as part of her character development. Remember back in season 1 (I think) when she is trying to give one of Ed's MRE meals to Carl and he says not to, and it's call "situational security/awareness" or something like that? How ironic and interesting she is becoming more like the abusive husband she no longer has!

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I found it interesting as part of her character development. Remember back in season 1 (I think) when she is trying to give one of Ed's MRE meals to Carl and he says not to, and it's call "situational security/awareness" or something like that? How ironic and interesting she is becoming more like the abusive husband she no longer has!

Wow, did you honestly just say that Carol is becoming similar to Ed? It's like we are watching two entirely separate programs. Carol doesn't strike me as someone who has a malicious bone in her body.

greatbignow

greatbignow

Infected

• Members

Exactly! And I don't mean a moat filled with water, should have clarified that. Just a big trench around the prison would both prevent the walkers from getting to the fences or they would fall in and be trapped. I guess for the shows sake we have to accept the fact that if the survivors did do some things that we suggest the prison would become impregnable and there would be no threat. No threat equals no show!

To a point, but if you make it too difficult to get IN it is also difficult to get OUT in a hurry. Being trapped inside a cellblock with people who could die at any moment would be the scariest thing of all. At least you can get a car or even outrun the walkers....

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Wow, did you honestly just say that Carol is becoming similar to Ed? It's like we are watching two entirely separate programs. Carol doesn't strike me as someone who has a malicious bone in her body.

I agree.

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

I agree (we are doing that a lot today it seems lol). I am not sure how I feel about Carol calling Lizzy weak, but she is by no means evolving into what Ed was. Not by a long shot.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

In the "Making of Infected" video, Greg Nicotero talks about the plans they had to build a moat around the prison, but they had to scrap the idea because it became a hazard because of ground problems (quick sand).

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

In the "Making of Infected" video, Greg Nicotero talks about the plans they had to build a moat around the prison, but they had to scrap the idea because it became a hazard because of ground problems (quick sand).

That is useful information here. I am in no way in support of putting the actors, extras, and crew at an unnecessary risk just for the plot to be a bit more feasible, so this, I can let slide.

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
You could say that quick sand is a bit of a hazard.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

[excerpt] but they had to scrap the idea because it became a hazard because of ground problems (quick sand).

I don't see the problem. They are called extras because they have more than one. :lol:

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I agree (we are doing that a lot today it seems lol). I am not sure how I feel about Carol calling Lizzy weak, but she is by no means evolving into what Ed was. Not by a long shot.

You know what they say about great minds... :)

I think Carol was the only one who could call Lizzie weak and it not come off as overbearing or cold. We have seen her come from the point of being weak, herself, to being one of the stronger characters on the show. She is proof that you can (and that you *have* to) overcome weakness and timidness, while still retaining your humanity.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I don't see the problem. They are called extras because they have more than one. :lol:

This made me laugh far more than it should have. If TWD was made back in the early 1900's, they likely would have had little problem with offing a bunch of extras.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

And just think of all the cool film footage they would get. ;)

Who wouldn't want to watch walkers get swallowed up by the ground?

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla
Excellent and powerful episode in my opinion!

As some of you already said, minor details that could have been polished better (like driving the walkers further away from the fence, for instance), but many moments of the episode were extremely powerful and touching. I like the direction that this season is taking.

Actually, the only real complain that I have is the inconsistency among seasons, but there is nothing we can do about it. I like how Gimple is somewhere in the middle between the pace of Darabont and that of Mazzara.
Make love not war!

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

And just think of all the cool film footage they would get. ;)

Who wouldn't want to watch walkers get swallowed up by the ground?

They already ran over one with a military vehicle, this season. Damn, you guys are brutal!! :lol:

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!