March To War (Volume 19) Review

- - - - - volume 19 volume reviews rick ezekiel gregory negan

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
I thought it would be a good idea if we could do volume reviews. It seemed like the way we view the story could differ if we could digest the entire chapter in one bunch.

So what did you guys think of March to War?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

A Song For Lucille

A Song For Lucille

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationChicagoland
It was pretty much what it needed to be. We needed something to set up and kickoff a conflict between the Saviors and the rest of the communities. Otherwise, it would just be everyone gathering supplies for Negan for the rest of the series. Volume 18 almost made me forget that Negan was a villain, despite all the plotting going on against him. He was too reasonable (not taking food from the ASZ, because they were running low) and forgiving (not harming Carl, despite the assassination attempt; letting Rick off the hook for attacking him). Volume 19 reminds us (or me, at least) that Negan is the baddie; still in the process of mentally breaking Rick down, so that the rest of the ASZ people lose faith in Rick, thus having better control over the community. It was important for us to realize that Negan is actually quite intelligent, and also well organized, not just some potty-mouth leading an army of punks.

It's a very important volume and huge piece of the puzzle. But, on its own, I don't think this volume will stand out much other than for the reason that it has some great lines and it being build-up for AOW.
Survivors: We. Don't. Die.
Saviors: We. Don't. Rape.

KingEzekiel

KingEzekiel

Infected

• Members
It was much better than "what comes after".

FJSP2627

FJSP2627

S-mart Employee

• Members
I agree when you say that it's a good idea to review the entire volume, i do read the issues but i buy the volumes so i can read them later. As far as the volume goes, i really enjoyed the first part where we get to see some things about the hiltop and the people living there, then i lost some early interest about the whole kingdom thing and when Negan came to the ASZ but when he killed Spencer and Rick just went crazy was awesome. I was expecting negan (of course) to survive through this volume but when Rick made the ambush to the van that was very exciting... and the fight between Andrea and Connor was cool to. the ending i really digged it, i thought there would be some big death right before the war but instead some of Negan's men got slaughtered by Shiva and then the final speech from both leaders was pretty exciting. So overall i enjoyed the volume but there were some lame parts that i felt were filler, i hope the ALL OUT WAR, really pushes me over the edge and that we get some intense,not only battles but some intense interactions betwwen the characters.

Furrybeastman

Furrybeastman

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNewfoundland
overall i think it was a pretty good volume, aside from some silly parts like kal and jesus' odd conversation about the deal with negan, and the weird sword drawing moment between michonne and ezekial. the first half of the volume finally brings some names to the faces of the hilltop, like dr carson and earl sutton, and fairly quickly delivered some characterization for ezekial. i would have liked to been introduced to some of the kingdom's people but i don't think it would have fit in anywhere well, i'd rather the introduction of these characters be delayed then be forced and awkward. i enjoyed moments like carl trying to sneak out to see shiva (i liked that it reminded me that he's still a kid) and jesus confronting gregory (should of ended with a roundhouse to gregory's face) and turning the page to see negan banging at the gates of asz just as rick said they shouldn't arrive for a few days was too funny. i thought the second half of the volume was intense as shit, yeah rick made a stupid (everyone shits the bed sometimes), and the guns getting shot out of hands thing is whack, but i still liked it. jesus coming to the rescue was seen coming but awesome nonetheless, and it was so good to see him take negan down a few pegs. rick and jesus had some of my favorite lines in the series during that whole mess, i think you guys can guess what they are haha. but yeah overall, good first half with a few bad moments taking away from the experience, with what i thought was an excellent second half, beginning with spencer spilling his guts, ending around the scene shiva spills a saviors guts. march to war paved a tense and uneasy road to all out war.

NaomiCampbell

NaomiCampbell

Infected

• Members
  • Locationusa
This is so epic!

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX
When issue 108 ended and the March to War arc began, there were two burning questions: How will the united communities face Negan? Why doesn't someone just shoot Negan and end the whole charade?

The beginning of the arc focused on the different leaders and how both they and their people cope with the imminent war. Some get ready to fight, others cower, some try to betray the group, and Ezekiel's people seem to be unified for war with none of what's going on with the two communities they are allied with.

The middle of the arc featured the planning, which was something I thought of which I appreciated seeing. Being outnumbered, the plan was to use the majority of their forces to attack the outposts with lesser people and whittle away at their manpower. Soon the numbers would be even and the united communities may eventually outman the Saviors. Seemed like a good plan, until Negan shows and entertainingly kills Spencer at the ASZ for trying to betray Rick. Thing is, Negan has alot of respect for Rick despite their every encounter being bad. Negan needs Rick in power or he ends up with a war. Negan needs people obedient so they get supplies for him. Killing Rick invites war. Problem is, killing anyone in ASZ invites Rick in war mode...whether or not the person killed wanted him dead or not.

The end of the arc Rick sees a chance to kill Negan while being guarded by a few guys. Seems like a good idea to save a bunch of lives, and they nearly succeed until they discover that Negan is a devious bastard with a full backup team and guns hiding. Luckily for Rick his allies saved them in epic fashion, but destroyed their plan in the process. The element of suprise against Negan is gone, and without spoiling the next arc Negan has been busy since he retreated him ASZ and gave a hilarious war speech.

This arc takes us to the start of a massive war with 3 smaller communities against a larger tyrannical one, along with a wildcard 3rd party of zombies that want to eat everyone. I feel it also plants the seeds for Ezekiel to betray the group for Rick completely altering the main plan. Through Rick, we know that Dwight can't simply kill Negan and expect him and Sherry to live. No one wants to die, but many are about to.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!