When Did The World Lose Its Innocence?

- - - - - War Titanic Famine Kennedy

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
There have been many times I've heard it said "the world lost its innocence when_________happened". I have heard it said abut WWI and then WWII, the sinking of the Titanic, the assassination of President Kennedy, Viet Nam etc. I honestly don't think there was "innocence" to be lost in the first place. Wars have been an unfortunate but repeated occurrence through history. There has been famine, disease, slavery etc. IMO there may have been a lose of (at the risk of sounding trite) good times, prosperity, peace, lives etc. for some, but not the loss of innocence.

Do you think that there was a loss of innocence for the world, and if so at what point?

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left
I don't believe that the world was innocent to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I love the world we live in, but it's not innocent. Not at all.
To those of you who believe the world is really going down the tubes, stop thinking that way. This is one of the best times to be alive, the only
reason why it seems that there is so much sh!t happening is because the internet reveals every last little nasty bit.
But for everything that royally sucks, there's several more things worth living for.

And so concludes my inspirational speech!

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
Loss of innocence began when man discovered fire and how to club his neighbor over the head. hahah

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members
Hard to lose what you never had to begin with...

joshuakilpatrickl

joshuakilpatrickl

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNorth Carolina
When the first man decided to act upon sin.

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie
I think various aspects of innocence have been chipped away by all the things you mentioned......every war or "conflict" , every disaster, every plague, etc. But, every positive event restores a little hope and innocence.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members
When MTV stopped playing music.

But in all seriousness, society has and never will be innocent. It's just that now, the average person has access to mass media coverage and knowledge of the wars/crimes/corruption that goes on worldwide, making it seem like society is imploding each day despite the fact that it has been like this since the beginning. You can look back at each generation and see that it was no different, in fact maybe worse? From ethnic cleansing and genocide to slavery, dictatorships and political corruption, mass murderers and serial killers..it's nothing new. As they say, history repeats itself.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Yep, I agree with the others that say we never really had it.
I do think that this generation had a profound loss of innocence after 9/11. I can't speak for other countries, but it seemed at the time that it had a deep impact on the entire world.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
Sweetsis, you have a level of heartbreaking depth that destroys people like me. We, as humans have been and never will be innocent. Our lives are our bodies. And our minds. Bodies are easily fixed nowadays. Minds, not so much. It's complicated.

To answer your question. We've always been what we are. Some good. Some bad. Some right there in between leaning one way or another.

bkottond

bkottond

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
Innocence was lost when Reality TV became a thing... Keeping Up with Kardathionwhores and here comes honey boo boo pretty much sums up what is wrong in this world! TLC (the learning channel) HA! what a fucking joke!

"I'M TAINTED MEAT"

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas
Along with mankind, so evolved evil.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Mary Mayhem

Mary Mayhem

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
I feel like after 9/11, the world really began losing it's innocence... people didn't know how to react or who to direct their anger at, they didn't feel enough was being done... everyone has their theories on what really happened... this all creates a huge disconnection from each other and a loss of innocence, as if we have to somehow defend ourselves against our random fellow man/woman...

...but some say that's just "this generation", though i'm not dumb... I've felt it most most powerful within the last few years, and i'd say it's just because i'm getting older, except I've never been "unaware"... I've always been too aware actually... whether that's my downfall or advantage, that's up for debate.

Also, with all of my insomnia and researching I constantly do... I always see elders commenting on how "things were never this bad, even bad when (insert event here) happened, it was never like this" so we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking that we're wrong to feel things have gotten significantly darker in the last few years/last decade... because it does seem that they have.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!