Deleted Scene From The 'walking Dead' Season Finale

Deleted Scene S4 Finale Milton Tyreese

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
'The Walking Dead' cast members talk about the season 3 finale scene you DIDN'T see

by Dalton Ross on Aug 7, 2013

When I spoke to Dallas Roberts— who played Milton on The Walking Dead — after his character’s untimely demise in the season 3 finale, the actor revealed that the scenes between him and Laurie Holden’s Andrea that ultimately made it into the episode were actually reshoots done several months later (and after showrunner Glen Mazarra announced he was leaving the show). Here’s what Roberts told me then about how the scenes were originally shot:

“Originally, the beating scene that started the episode wasn’t there. Originally, I showed up and was led into the room where Andrea was…and then [The Governor] shot me in the stomach, completely unexpectedly.… There was a lot more of Milton trying to open the door and him trying to free her from the chains. And then there was a section where he was going to wrap the chain around the neck and try to choke her to death before he turned so she wouldn’t have to deal with Walker Milton, or Biter Milton, as it were.…They both desperately wanted for that to work but at that point he had bled out so much. So he pulls and pulls and pulls but he doesn’t get it done and he falls against the wall and is passed out. And he never comes back from that until he turns into a walker…And then at the end of that, it was just Tyreese and someone else who found her. Rick and Daryl and Michonne weren’t there. So it was essentially the same idea, except you saw me taking chunks out of Laurie Holden in that version.”

I spoke with Roberts again on Entertainment Weekly Radio (SiriusXM, channel 105) recently and he added another tidbit to the tale — that it was, in fact, Tyreese that ended up killing Zombie Milton in the original version, not Andrea. To get an even clearer picture of how the original scene went down, while in Atlanta for filming on season 4 of The Walking Dead[ I spoke with two other principal players in the scene — Chad Coleman, who plays Tyreese, and Sonequa Martin-Green who plays Sasha (or the “someone else” that Roberts refers to above). Here’s what they told me:

Chad Coleman (Tyreese)

“Man, it was awesome. Sasha and I, we were protecting the wall and we heard these screams. We followed the screams, going through the streets with our weapons. I’ve got to kick in this door, which will probably be one of the bloopers. I went to kick the door in and I almost fell backwards down the stairs. Whoever rigged that door, they got me on that one. But, we kick in the door and finally we get to [Andrea], and it was an incredibly powerful, excruciating scene. Sasha and I are doing our best to try and comfort her before she took herself out. I thought there was some great work going on. But I was there for the revision and that was incredibly powerful, and it made all the more sense for it to be full-circle for them. But for us, it was excruciating, and it was really powerful. I hope they dig it up. I’d love to see it.”

Sonequa Martin-Green (Sasha)

“Wow, that scene was something else. Sasha and Tyreese are on guard in Woodbury, everybody’s gone to the prison to do the raid where they got defeated, and we’re back behind taking care of the people that were left behind. And we hear screaming, we hear noises, and we go and we seek it out and we find her. She’s in this torture chamber. And so we walk in and we say, ‘Oh my gosh, who did this? How did this happen? Who did this to you?’ And of course, we deduce that it was the Governor. We unchain her, we see that she’s bitten. She wants a gun. She says, ‘Give me a gun. Give me one of your guns.’ Tyreese doesn’t want to do it. He’s like, ‘No, no,’ but she’s like, ‘No, I’ve made up my mind. Give me a gun. I’m going to end this.’ It was very endearing and it was quite heart-wrenching, this scene, because to find her at that point in her life, at the end, especially we were not that familiar with her—Sasha and Tyreese, I mean—so to come to someone and to find them in the most vulnerable moment of their life, it was hard. The scene, it had a serious depth to it.

“And it was respected, the magnitude of the moment. It was extremely heavy. And we knew this was the last moments of her life, and so we were extremely respectful. Once she talked us into giving her the gun, it was her funeral. It was a memorial service to her. We handed her the gun and we let her be. There was also a moment where Sasha’s cradling Andrea in her hands after we unchain her. And it’s a to-do to get all the chains off of her, and we’re literally cradling her and Sasha says, ‘We’re not going to leave you here,’ which is a serious arc for Sasha from the first episode where she’s ready to leave Donna who is a part of their camp. It spoke to her journey and where she ended up. And she says, ‘No, I want you to give me the gun and I want you to leave me.’ And so we do, and Sasha and Tyreese stand outside of the door and hear the gun shot and share a look with each other, and that was the end of the scene. It was extremely powerful. I will say though, to be honest, I liked what happened better because it needed that. Andrea needed that goodbye. She needed to be united with her family. That was really important to show. So, I loved shooting what we did, but I love the way it ended up.”

Word is this original version of the finale will not be on The Walking Dead season 3 Blu-ray and DVD set that comes out on August 27, so these first-hand accounts will have to do for now. So what do you think? Do you like the sound of the way the scenes were originally shot or the different reshot version that actually made it to air?

[Editing for spacing]

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
Very interesting that most of us thought Andrea would be a bloody mass of something when tyreese and Sasha found her.

This way would cause a problem for me not because of the emotional impact but Andrea could have just screamed earlier and got tyreese and Sasha's attention ..

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Very interesting that most of us thought Andrea would be a bloody mass of something when tyreese and Sasha found her.

This way would cause a problem for me not because of the emotional impact but Andrea could have just screamed earlier and got tyreese and Sasha's attention ..

Well, she could have screamed out in either version to get someone's attention.

I do remember that there was a scene in the Finale that didn't make sense involving Tyreese. It was when he looked puzzled and told Sasha that he would be back. It didn't go anywhere and was never explained. I guess it was part of the original shoot, but that doesn't really make sense either since Sasha was with him when he found Andrea.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
I think I like that version better, besides Milton getting shot. I liked his chilling talks with the Governor and the, "You kill or die, or die and kill" line.

Also, disappointed that this won't be on the DVD

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Well, she could have screamed out in either version to get someone's attention.

I do remember that there was a scene in the Finale that didn't make sense involving Tyreese. It was when he looked puzzled and told Sasha that he would be back. It didn't go anywhere and was never explained. I guess it was part of the original shoot, but that doesn't really make sense either since Sasha was with him when he found Andrea.

Good point, what I thought about the screaming in the original scene was she was more helpless (from what they describe) and when you can't fidget with a pair of pliers there isn't much else to do besides cry or scream . But either way your right .

I actually disagree with Sonequa . I think 1. Most people wouldn't even remember she wanted to leave Donna and 2. Donna (although an annoying limping mess) was amputateable , Andrea was a done deal because Milton took a few bites out of her chest or shoulder area . Not sure that would be percieved as growth by not wanting to leave someone. I'm sure it would just be a big question mark

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members
I wish they would put this on the DVD. Seems sort of a waste to film such a big scene and then not show it at all.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
One teeny tiny itsy bitsy widdle problem with the fact that Sasha and Tyreese would be hearing someone (Andrea) screaming. Particularly if they're along the wall somewhere.
Surely the Governor isn't stupid enough to create a room where he could torture people at his leisure and their screams would be heard by the people of Woodbury. I mean c'mon... even if there's a curfew the other guards would be hearing the screams... granted that the guards could accept it all as is but... it's realism I think that would go out the window if the Governor didn't make sure nobody knew he was having *ahem* fun.

Just a thawt.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

BeauL83

BeauL83

Biter

• Members
  • LocationAustralia
I swear to god if the walking dead S3 blu ray doesn't get special features I will rage so hard!!!
I Believe In Rick Grimes

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
Sounds interesting, I like Sasha's involvment. Would be interesting to see how Laurie played them scenes. I do kind of like the original scene now we know she wasn't just a mauled mess at the end.

To be honest I kind of like both scenes, but the chains seems a bit much. Like the finished episode, maybe asking Milton to put his head near her boot may have worked better.

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members
I find it to be comedy gold that the show runners felt the audience would actually care about who finds Andrea.

IMO, the majority of the audience lost interest in her character either when she abandons Michonne at the beginning of the season, or when she opts to stay with "Team Gov" after finally finding her original team. The show runners, by making her character such a flake, destroyed any connection she may have had with her original team, OR her new one, and in so doing also destroyed any sympathy her character may have garnered from a concerned audience when she was eventually killed off.

Had she been found by "Team Tyreese" or, say, some unknown Woodbury characters, rather than "Team Prison", the results would have been the same.

Apathy.

This is another interview that seems to make it perfectly clear to me that the show runners have NO idea what the hell they're dealing with in this story, AND that the audience is in for more of the same silly shit they've been pulling since the beginning of the series.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
Hang on, so when was the interview with Sonequa? August - on set?? So she isn't dead.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
That would be very disappointing if the scene wasn't on the bluray/dvd. I have been anticipating seeing all the cut scenes, and this one particularly would be very interesting.

Mary Mayhem

Mary Mayhem

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
I heard about this soon after the finale... and i'm glad they did the reshoot, but I've been reeeeally hoping they'll have the alternate scene on the DVD... though I tweeted The Walking Dead's official Twitter asking if they would, and they tweeted back saying it's ultimately up to AMC but that they would be surprised if it was included :(

As heart wrenching as the scene sounds, I just want to see it darnit... i've been wanting to see it since I heard about it!

PS I will forever despise Glen Mazzara for ruining Andrea's character...

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
You should probably blame all the writers as well. All had an equal part in "ruining" Andrea.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!