Expanding The World Of The Walking Dead

- - - - - alexandria hilltop kingdom saviors all out war pov

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
I thought this warranted its own topic. So at Image Expo 2013 Kirkman was talking about expanding the world of the Walking Dead and switching up the narrative a bit

"The book will open up. It's always been about one community, Rick's community, thus far. If you think back to the days of the Governor in Woodbury, there were issues that did just focus on Woodbury and a few that focused on what they were doing in Woodbury when Rick, Michonne and Carl were there that didn't check in on the prison.
Now that there are four distinct pockets of civilization, there will be issues that take place entirely at Hilltop, there will be the random issue that takes place in The Kingdom -- the book is going to open up in some cool ways, and yes, the point of view will change."

Also, to people upset about the zombies not being a threat, he addressed that too

"The Walkers are still very present, [but we're exploring] the fact that human beings are more organized and able to work together. There are a lot of people at Alexandria, there are more people at Hilltop and there are even more people at The Kingdom. There are these seemingly peaceful civilizations that are actually cleaning out the Walkers around them and have built safe-zones. But the Walkers are still there, they're still present.
There will still be stories involving how dangerous zombies are in this world, but it's been a hundred issues, and things have to evolve. I think we've gotten to a point in "The Walking Dead" where its about a world where zombies exist, but people have been dealing with them for a long time. They know how to deal with them and there are only certain situations that arise where zombies are dangerous. Those situations will still continue to happen because its still very much a zombie book, but there's a lot more going on now. Which I think is cool!"

I want to focus more on the first part of the article. I think this is really interesting news to focus on other people and maybe Leela was right about this becoming a "renaissance" for the Walking Dead. I also think that this supports Maggie becoming leader of Hilltop and Michonne joining the Kingdom because if there are going to be entire issues focused there, we'll need a familiar face or two to help keep us grounded there and care about what's going on

I also think its interesting that we'll be focusing less on Rick and his group. This is great news so we can get a lot more new, refreshing characters as opposed to these underdeveloped ones we've been getting. Thoughts?

The link to the article:
http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=46482

100% credit to PorkTornado for pointing this out!

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
More Kirkman babble....

"I am very fond of Andrea," he answered when asked for his favorite character. He then pointed out that it is not necessarily a good thing to be one of his favorites. "I miss Glenn a lot. I really liked Axel and Tyrese. Most of them are dead.
"I have to be honest. Carl is my favorite character because he's the weirdest… One of the most fun things about 'The Walking Dead' is watching Carl grow up. That's how I think you would grow up in that situation."

Kirkman responded to a comment that "Walking Dead" features some of the most consistent art and writing in comics today, saying this is because there are only two people working on the book, himself and artist Charlie Adlard. This led into a brief discussion about inker Stefano Gaudiano, who is coming aboard to help longtime series Adlard with the upcoming seven-month bi-weekly schedule that kicks in with issue #115.
"It was very important to me that the art not change much," Kirkman said. "Ninety percent of the people won't notice."

When pressed on whether or not if he knows how the series will end, he answered in the affirmative. "There is an ending in mind and how it will happen.
"My goal is for the television show to run its course," Kirkman said. "I'm hoping for the comic to continue strong well after the show is over. I see the comic going a long time after the television show is done, so the endings for both are very different."

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
I like the expansion of the book but i am sad that the survival aspect of the book is going by the wayside.
Zombies taking a back seat is kinda sad also because i love the zombies and dont want them to just live in a world were zombies "exist" and are only background filler.
The idea that there is millions of zombies only a few miles away from ASZ and they are not a real threat is kinda weak but i understand where Kirkman is coming from. What about the rest of the country or are we going to stay in the Washington area forever?
I just hope this book dont become stale with issue after issue of point of views over who is getting a fair trade deal or arguments over who`s turn it is to wash the underwear............

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
He likes Andrea? Maybe she will die instead of Michonne! He uses the famous Kirkman writing process:

*insert character* smiles
Kirkman: They're happy? Time for someone to die

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

BeauL83

BeauL83

Biter

• Members
  • LocationAustralia

When pressed on whether or not if he knows how the series will end, he answered in the affirmative. "There is an ending in mind and how it will happen.
"My goal is for the television show to run its course," Kirkman said. "I'm hoping for the comic to continue strong well after the show is over. I see the comic going a long time after the television show is done, so the endings for both are very different."

Endings for both are very different.... WTF, so were probably going to sway even further from the comic. FFS.
I love them both.
I Believe In Rick Grimes

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Endings for both are very different.... WTF, so were probably going to sway even further from the comic. FFS.
I love them both.

IMO the show has not really been anything like the comic after season one(CDC) and i dont see it lasting more then 8 seasons as the zombie fad will run its course. If Kirkman and the AMC guys move zombies away from the story at all like they have been doing in the comic for quite some time now the show will die. They have already jumped the shark with Andrea`s pathetic death scene and non-killable characters like Daryl IMO.
I am glad Kirkman has an ending planned for the show and at least wont end on some whim from an AMC writer , lets hope Kirkman writes the final couple episodes himself. There has been many many shows that have failed to give a satisfying ending lets hope Kirkman can give the tv show an all time great ending like M.A.S.H. , Seinfeld , The Sopranos , Cheers , St. Elsewhere , and hopefully Breaking Bad did.

The same goes for the comic as far as the ending wise at least he has it planned out and it wont have to be finished with someone else`s idea for an ending. God forbid Kirkman passes away before he can finish his masterpiece that is The Walking Dead but we can at least rest easy that he has us covered with most of it plotted out already.

If nobody knows about the tv show St. Elsewhere look it up that has to be the greatest ending of a tv series ever as it ties a ton of other shows into it.
http://home.vicnet.n...crossovers.html
http://www.saturdaye...e-universe.html

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes

"I am very fond of Andrea," he answered when asked for his favorite character.

Fuck.

bkottond

bkottond

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
Idk! Everything that RK said about expanding the world of the walking dead has made me feel flat and BLAH about the future of the comic. I don't really care how the TV show plays out, because I see it as a poorly made "based on a true story" TV movie...

The idea of whole "HERE" and "THEIR" issues about other pockets of civilizations, seems forced. I really don't care for the Kingdom or hilltop and their people. Hell, I don't even see Negan and his crew as part of civilization, but more as a bully/problem that has to be eliminated. but I guess the biggest bummer,(FOR ME) of all that shit, the king of troll RK spewed, is that "the point of view" is going to change, (ie, Rick and his band of marry survivors, will no long be the MAIN focus, of the story/comic)

I am having a hard time with the idea of that happening UNLESS, it happens for only these two reasons.

1. RK, referring only to the "ALL OUT WAR" story arc, when he talks about their being whole HERE AND THERE issues about the other communities, and how they handle/deal with going to and surviving this up coming war. Once the "AOW" is done, and the comic goes back to being a monthly comic, it focuses back to the OG grouping and what is left of "Rick and Friends"

OR

2. That troll master himself is giving us an insight, that soon Rick will meet his maker. By doing so, this leaves the rest of the crew at lost ends, and the story then focus's the POV on Carl, and how he is deals with all the aftermath of this AOW, and shows how he grows up in the ZA world as one eyed badass! The story then being about what every adventures he faces...

Other than those two reason, for all these changes, Im not feeling the future is bright for TWD comics. As PT75 puts it -- "I just hope this book dont become stale with issue after issue of point of views over who is getting a fair trade deal or arguments over who`s turn it is to wash the underwear............"----

"I'M TAINTED MEAT"

BeauL83

BeauL83

Biter

• Members
  • LocationAustralia

Fuck.

Well... Andrea's dead.
I Believe In Rick Grimes

all_hail_the_saviors

all_hail_the_saviors

S-mart Employee

• Members
Well, they're all going to die. Even us. We're all going to die no matter what.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Fuck.

Double fuck.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!