Lost Potential

- - - - - Lori Andrea T-Dog Deaths

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
We lost 3 key members season 3. Which member do you think should have made it to season 4 in terms of what the character could add, story potential growth or even saved the death for season 4.

Lots of us have issues with how Andrea died and Loris disappearing body, but try not to consider the way they died, just that they are gone and will not be in season 4.

For me it would have to be T-Dog. I learned more about him when Glen spoke to Hershel than I did while he was alive.

I would have liked to see the reaction to Merles return, would Merle forgive as he wanted to be forgiven by Daryl’s group especially Glen & Maggie. Daryl had always helped T-Dog (even when he was his “surely bad self”.) Would Daryl try and convince Merle to forgive?

Glen mentioned T-Dog and the “church van” going to the elderly people’s homes to ensure their evacuation.T-Dog could have made a bigger bond with Hershel through their share of faith. T-Dog would also surely want to help the elderly and children from Woodbury in season 4.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
Tdog was a coulda shoulda woulda situation . This almost happened with Beth too but thankfully his time ran out before her and they have up on him, it's nice to see they acknowledged the way she's been portrayed (or not portrayed) thus far.

Andreas time on the show was a waste of potential all together . They ruined her , made her seem like she had 7 different personalities . All of her story involved her acting shitty to someone who cared for her because it was a ploy to keep her somewhere (shitty to Michonne because they want her in Woodbury) (shitty to dale because he prevented her death and she would be sad when he died) she was a great shot, a strong female , good debater but unfortunately a few mistakes piled up and turning into a more optimistic person (like dale ) can only really get you so far in the new world and the boat ran out on that one in the season finale. I would have loved to have her continue but all I would see was the same people hating on her and it getting worse because they'd probably change her up again .

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
I was liking Oscar's character and Axel's character aswell. I believe that both characters were wasted potential and received little to no development especially in Oscar's case. Seriously, what was his point in the show other than to be cannon fodder? I began to like his character when he chose to save Rick and shoot Andrew and I honestly thought that he would become a nice addition to the group only for him to die four episodes later. I guess this can be said about all of the background characters. :/

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
I agree with officer friendly as well. People needed to die but not every single prisoner within 8 episodes of them being introduced . One of them could have stuck around longer

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan
Oscar had potential and was on long enough to be liked. I really liked it when he got his slippers. The man knew how to rejoice in the small things. That would be a very valuable skill in aZA. I was sorry to see him go.

Allen, Ben, and Donna were also wasted potential. They were all brought on to be cannon fodder.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Oscar had potential and was on long enough to be liked. I really liked it when he got his slippers. The man knew how to rejoice in the small things. That would be a very valuable skill in aZA. I was sorry to see him go.

Allen, Ben, and Donna were also wasted potential. They were all brought on to be cannon fodder.

OMG my liking of Oscars was the slipper thing as well.

I diddnt choose Andrea because as another poster stated "they wrote her into a corner". If Andrea lived and returned to the group for season 4, I dont think the writers could do it, unless in complete seriousness she has a personality disorder.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I liked Axel's death and the way it was done, but he was a very likeable guy and he should have stuck around a bit longer. Oscar's death was very predictable. When he went to fight with Daryl, Rick and Michonne, you could almost actually see that red shirt on him.

Merle's death was also well done, but still a waste of potential. I felt like the Dixons had only just gotten together and then Merle is killed. I definitely would have liked to see them together a bit longer, postponing Merle dying until next season. The problem with him biting it so close to the finale was that we hardly saw anyone's reaction to it, other than that brief exchange with Carol and Daryl. And I think there would have been an interesting dynamic with the black sheep Merle hanging around in the group.

ButtonsTheHorse

ButtonsTheHorse

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOnett, Eagleland

I was liking Oscar's character and Axel's character aswell. I believe that both characters were wasted potential and received little to no development especially in Oscar's case. Seriously, what was his point in the show other than to be cannon fodder? I began to like his character when he chose to save Rick and shoot Andrew and I honestly thought that he would become a nice addition to the group only for him to die four episodes later. I guess this can be said about all of the background characters. :/

This, IMO.
"There's nothing worse than unexpected lava" ~ pokecapn

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

[SNIPPED...]

Merle's death was also well done, but still a waste of potential. I felt like the Dixons had only just gotten together and then Merle is killed. I definitely would have liked to see them together a bit longer, postponing Merle dying until next season. The problem with him biting it so close to the finale was that we hardly saw anyone's reaction to it, other than that brief exchange with Carol and Daryl. And I think there would have been an interesting dynamic with the black sheep Merle hanging around in the group.

I wholeheartedly agree that Merle died too soon. We only got one good episode with Merle and Daryl interacting. The rest was Merle interacting with others and Daryl interacting with others. After all that build up to reunite them, so much wasted potential...

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members
Personally, I don't think T-dog could have added anything to the story or developed anymore if he had lived. So I was glad they killed him.

I think Lori died too early though.

Zvivor

Zvivor

Lurker

• Members
Merle's death --- it was dramatic, heart-breaking and a dramatic end to a great story of two brothers. But the lost-potential of the hilarious dialogue that only Rooker could deliver -- THAT I'm going to miss.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
Ah I almost forgot about someone. Patricia , when I was watching season two she seemed to have a bit of medical knowledge and knew how to work on a farm . She could have been interesting I doubt she'd make it through season three but I'd have liked to see a bit more of her. But if Beth would have died in her place then never lol.

Lori and Merle I found as necessary deaths but maybe at the wrong time.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Lori and Merle I found as necessary deaths but maybe at the wrong time.

I feel the same way about both of those. Mazzara wanted Lori's death to be earlier on in the season to make it more "shocking" but I think the timing was a little bad for the story. Because of that, Rick spent most of the season in crazy town, and I think he shouldn't have been so crazy for more than a few episodes. T-Dog biting it in that episode was enough of a hit that I don't think Lori's death was necessary at that time. I'd have kept the same death scene, but extended it to a later episode, maybe episode 10 when the Governor attacked the prison. I'd rather have had the Governor be more responsible for her death to make the feud between him and Rick more 'personal'.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

I feel the same way about both of those. Mazzara wanted Lori's death to be earlier on in the season to make it more "shocking" but I think the timing was a little bad for the story. Because of that, Rick spent most of the season in crazy town, and I think he shouldn't have been so crazy for more than a few episodes. T-Dog biting it in that episode was enough of a hit that I don't think Lori's death was necessary at that time. I'd have kept the same death scene, but extended it to a later episode, maybe episode 10 when the Governor attacked the prison. I'd rather have had the Governor be more responsible for her death to make the feud between him and Rick more 'personal'.

Yeah , Tdog could have died and Carol could have been missing , then Lori and axel could have died in Home , or just throw out that god awful Andrea death finale and turn it into Lori dying. Her speech to Carl was definetly finale worthy

And if he was still hell bent on killing Andrea then just should have done it in Prey

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left
Axel. Why did he have to die :'(

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Axel. Why did he have to die :'(

To be honest I didn't really get axel or his character , maybe he was awesome in the comic but I didn't find him super like able in the TV series . He seemed like all he wanted to do was hook up with people and acted like a pervert to Beth .

I also really don't think he had his wits about him which would have been his demise. I wouldn't have really minded him to stay around but they kind of boxed him into a schtick that would have ran out pretty fast had he had more screentime. It was a real shame as I know people had high high hopes for him

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

To be honest I didn't really get axel or his character , maybe he was awesome in the comic but I didn't find him super like able in the TV series . He seemed like all he wanted to do was hook up with people and acted like a pervert to Beth .

I also really don't think he had his wits about him which would have been his demise. I wouldn't have really minded him to stay around but they kind of boxed him into a schtick that would have ran out pretty fast had he had more screentime. It was a real shame as I know people had high high hopes for him

He was an awesome character in the comics, but I still really liked him in the TV series.
Have you ever read the comics, stick?

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

He was an awesome character in the comics, but I still really liked him in the TV series.
Have you ever read the comics, stick?

No I have not. Thanks to all of you guys I pretty much know what happens in them, lol.

I do feel bad in some cases as expectations are high but I don't feel like they set up axel to even be likeable or have a long run on the show, which is a true shame :( I mean he was kind of funny but that's all. I think he may have been one of those best intentions at heart, bad delivery type of people

Jon W

Jon W

Lurker

• Members
I think Axel was the most wasted potential. To quote TNT "Drama is conflict".. and the fact is that Axel would have produced the most drama, simply because he was so different from the rest of the group. Yes, he was also a redneck like Daryl, but he was a 'prision redneck' (which wouldn't count against him, but it would show that he was dumb enough to get caught).

The stuff with Beth is overrated. You'll notice that once he found out how old she was, it stopped, immediately. On the other hand, I think he and Carol had a lot of potential, and that could have been both sweet and hysterical.

It was clear that T-Dog was never going to be developed, so it was a wash when he died.

Lori needed to go. We can discuss timing, but her death was a defining moment for Rick.

And, sorry, Andrea needed to go. I know a lot of the comic readers really love her character (as portayed in the comic), but her TV arc was such that it was time for her to exit.

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
I'm going to get flamed like hell for this, but there would have been a lot of potential in a Merle-Michonne hookup

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members

I'm going to get flamed like hell for this, but there would have been a lot of potential in a Merle-Michonne hookup

I just don't think that would ever happen! Merle had some racist tendencies, and Michonne would never open up to him, let alone be with him after the way he treated her. It would have caused a lot of drama, but it would have been very, very improbable.

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
Just rewatch This Sorrowful Life and see how Michonne was able to reach him and how sad she was when he left. They have fought and I think each has a lot of respect for each other. I'm not saying they would have a romance like Glen and Maggie; they would have been more like wild animals getting wild as Merle would have said. But I think there was a definite bond between them.

And again I'm in a minority but I don't think Merle was nearly as racist as he was made out to be. And yes I know he used a bad word!

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
Generally racist/homophobic/people who have a strong belief against something are just trying to run from what they want . My aunts ex husband lives in a pretty rural area, he fathered my cousins who now have kids of their own and he was the most racist person I've met. My cousins still live in the area but don't keep in touch with him , he now dates a black woman. Ironic , right

With that said , I doubt Michonne would accept Merle with things he did to her. She seemed to respect him as a fighter more then anything. She tried to change him to save her life and I think he never wanted to kill her/ kind of liked her to begin with, however Michonne is a tough woman and I think she never ever would have gotten with Merle based on his racism and things he said/did to her. So Merle may have wanted her but I doubt the feeling would ever be mutual.

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
Yet Michonne was able to forgive Rick for almost turning her over to the Governor. I think she would have forgiven Merle.

Anyways we are debating something that will never happen :)

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
I know , and I was taking your side at least halfway. I also gave you credit for creative ideas in the spoiler section while others didn't offer anything besides disagreeing with what you wrote. So if anything at least I'm seeing them and adding insight that isn't kind of rude and I'm seeing and respecting your posts and I wasn't debating with you at all, as I related it back to something that I've seen in my life

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!