Which Half Of Season 3 Is Better?

The Walking Dead Season 3

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
So which was half of season is better/your favorite?

I personally really enjoyed season 3, it could have been better but it was still a great season.

It's pretty close but I think I enjoyed the second half of season 3 better, episodes like Home,
Clear, Arrow on the doorpost, This Sorrowful Life were all great. I also thought Suicide King, Prey and Welcome to the tombs were all good as well.

Stand out episodes from the first half would be Seed, Sick, Killer Within & Made to Suffer.
Walk with me and Hounded were also really good.

So, great season overall! Second half slightly beats the first half for me!

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
The first . Hands down.

Seed and Sick , great openers . Walk with me (I think) was an awesome introduction to Woodbury (which sucked after that episode) Killer within speaks for itself . 5, 6, and 7 were filler :( and 8 was ok.

But the second half was garbage . Well most of it, clear was good , home was beyond anti climatic . I did enjoy prey . Finale was bad , some others I can barely remember

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
First half.

It started off well and started to lose steam after Suicide King.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
I prefer the second half. Home, Clear, This Sorrowful Life, Welcome to the Tombs I absolutely loved. Prey and I Ain't a Judas too have become much better upon another re-watch, despite their noticeable flaws.

The only episodes from the first half that I was really enthralled by were Seed, Walk With Me, and Killer Within. Every other episode ranged from either mediocre to downright cringe-inducing.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
For me a better way to sum it up is the first half had more shocks that were there for a point , it had higher highs , but lower lows , like hounded

A lot of the second half was mediocre , although I liked some talking episodes , like I ain't a judas and clear , every episode left something to be desired, and the finale left me downright pissed

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Tuff call but I have to go with 2nd half. Michonne finally got some lines and got me interested in the character. It was a new Merle for me anyway, the second half, wish he could have lasted longer. Andrea finally seemed to "get" what was going on and diddnt seem like the clueless dope that was portrayed in the first half. Although the first half had some great episodes, the second half wins out IMO.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
2nd half, but I don't care much for either. 2nd had Clear and Welcome to the Tombs, though. The only thing I really liked in the first half was Rick's reaction to the Lori dying, Michonne killing Penny, and a line of dialogue between Merle and Glenn.

Edit: I don't think Welcome to the Tombs is a great episode on a writing standpoint but I enjoyed it. I wanted Andrea to die and I thought it was sloppy the way her character was handled but it was a good surprise, as was the Governor shooting down his army, Carl shooting the kid, and Rick bring Woodbury to the prison. I think this is the first episode where I had no idea what was going to happen next.

Edit2: I'm actually going to change my mind to first half because even though I think there were better moments in the second half, there were a lot more worse ones. I want to kill myself every time I think of Andrea's cringe-inducing Woodbury speech in Suicide King. Also, literally every single character annoyed me to no end besides Milton in the second half.

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

President Merle

President Merle

Biter

• Members
  • LocationReleased early for good behavior...
First half.

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere
The second half of the second half. Everything from 'Clear' and onward, pretty much.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
I'm surprised a lot of you enjoyed the second half. Especially those of you that are fond of the season finale. I thought that episode was generally hated by everyone on these boards. My vote goes for the first half, as almost every episode I enjoyed very much. After the mid season finale the show began to feel inconsistent to me.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
First half. Unfortunately the last episode of the 3rd season ruined the second half for me.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
I'd say second half. Though the first half started strong with Seed, Sick, Walk With Me and Killer Within, I thought the next 4 episodes were not that great due to the confusing burials/transition of merging Woodbury/Prison in a situation. The best bit of Made to Suffer was Penny being killed/the Michonne/Gov fight.

The second half, especially from Home+ I liked. The testing the waters attack on the prison, Andrea finally going to the prison, Rick/Michonne going back to Rick's town, Andrea escaaping and being on the run in Prey, the episode where Merle died too. On rewatches Welcome to the Tombs was an okay episode too, but as an Andrea fan...bit of a downer on that respect.

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • LocationThe Endless River
Neither!

259e5p1.jpg

Roamer2

Roamer2

Infected

• Members
The writing for the season was incoherent. An example. The tragic death of Lori and then the crazy following episode with the walker that was supposed to eat Lori's entire body. Hmm. Back and forth the season went from well written episodes and culminating in the season finale with the inexplicable death of Andrea.

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy
The half that was good.

Roamer2

Roamer2

Infected

• Members
I know a lady named Angela that has written one full story of the walking dead which was, in my opinion, superior to the mish mosh flung on our collective plates by Mazz & Co. She is in the process of writing a new story within the same universe of TWD. It's funny because even she noticed the show had, um, sampled some of what she has written...Ummmmmm, Cough! Cough!. Pardon me. I was just reading Mazz's explanation for Andrea's death which I found hard to swallow. Anyhow, if you get the chance, check her story out. It is at: thewalkingdeadtalk.freeforums.org

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana
First half IMO was more suspenseful. Seoond half dragged in a lot of episodes except Clear, Prey and last 15 minutes of This sorrowful Life.

Diamat

Diamat

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAt your house
First, half so far. Maybe not a lot amount of action like in the second part, but much more consistent. I think it lost everything that won in the first half, the angst dissapeared for me, there were important facts happening, but they were quite predictable facts.

dammitdale

dammitdale

Infected

• Members
Hard to say. I liked Merle and Michonne better in the 2nd half. Just about everyone else in the first half. Just goes to show how terribly inconsistent the writing was, and the overall lack of direction -- which is surprising given the material's potential. Mazarra's exit was a merciful blessing to the show.

Thierry88

Thierry88

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationNetherlands
They left so many potential unused during second half. The confrontation of Merle with Rick, we never saw them having an argument about what happened on the roof top in Atlanta. It was like everything was forgotten and forgiven, despite some mutual hard feelings. And the interaction between Daryl and Merle during their little walk in the woods around Yellow Jacket Creek, it purely showed the contrast between the two brother's, but did little show how they felt about each other, apart from Daryl wanting to leave the whole group to be with Merle, only to find his brother is a total douchebag he doesn't belong to and make a beeline back to the prison, were Merle is somehow allowed to enter after he saved Rick halfheartedly.
Not to forgot Andrea, when she arrived at the prison, I expected her to be finally back with the group again, not to be send back to Woodbury straight away and dragged her whole thing with The Governor even more.
And Allen, Donna and Ben, they could have been left out of the show completely. What plot did they serve? Ben standing in the background plotting with his daddy to overtake the prison, only to catch a bullet from Merle meant for The Gov resulting in Merle's exposure and demise. Allen being a complete arrogant douchebag only to be shot when he raised his gun on The Governor but couldn't pull the trigger. Donna was just there for some tragedy as a mother and wife dying, haven't we seen that before already?. The only purpose they had is being the only family this far to be shown to be wiped out completely and have some more character's based on the comic in the show. Tyreese and Sasha, they were just scared out of the prison by a hallucinating Rick to go to Woodbury, having some uneasy moments with the Governor only to return to the prison at the end.
There wasn't much character development, one of the things that made TWD so great.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens
The first half. The pacing was better and the fact that Mazzara had no direction for the show wasn't as apparent yet. It wasn't until just after the midseason finale that the show really felt like it was dragging and doing everything it could to postpone the major battle until the finale... a battle that ended up not even happening anyway...

'Rick' Duff

'Rick' Duff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationAberystwyth, Wales
The series was so mixed, it's hard to choose a solid half. So I'll just say the episodes I thought were above average were, Seed, Sick, Killer Within, Made to Suffer, I Ain't a Judas, Clear, Arrow on the Doorpost and Prey.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
The first half had a fast pace and I was hooked. It made a clear divergence from the comics, and I was all for it at this point because it made it extremely unpredictable and the majority of it was executed well enough. It also made the slow build of season2 pay off quite spectacularly, and now I always view that as the calm before the storm.

It did have it's faults though. The prison didn't feel much like a home, but rather like a death trap. It was odd that they were fighting so hard to protect it when they lost several survivors to the damn place, when they seemed to be doing better on the road. And to say nothing about the zombie that eat Lori, bones and all.

That didn't compare to the second half of the season. The lowest point of the season. Filler dragged out in eight episodes, and it completely destroyed Andrea as a character. Only highlights were Maggie, the rest was utter shite. Honestly, I doubt I would have stayed on with the series if it wasn't for the excellent season4 trailer.

So short answer: season3a is the winner.

everdeenkatniss257

everdeenkatniss257

Infected

• Members

First half was better.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!