Most Overrated And Underrated Characters?

- - - - - character overrated underrated

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
Doc Stevens said he was good that means we did know from the comics he was good before he became a tyrant if you payed attention.
Then then novels came out at it was flushed out even more and you almost sympathies with the Gov.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

RickRhymes

RickRhymes

Roamer

• Members

Doc Stevens said he was good that means we did know from the comics he was good before he became a tyrant if you payed attention.
Then then novels came out at it was flushed out even more and you almost sympathies with the Gov.

What one character says isn't really a fact. It was Doc Stevens' opinion. The Governor could have just been hiding his evil from Stevens in the early days of the ZA. He was pretty good at hiding it from most everyone else in Woodbury.

I know the novels fleshed out the Governor more, but a lot of us haven't read them and they didn't even come out until four years after the Governor was dead and gone in the comics. For the sake of clarification, I'll say that I think the Governor is overrated in the comics; I don't know how he is in the novels. He may be an awesome, three-dimensional character in the books and that changes how people perceive him in the comics, but not having read them...yeah, I think he's not a very interesting villain.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
He is very 3d in the novels, and even likeable in rise. I didn't think he was that interesting in the comics, but he certainly was a catalyst for interesting change.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
name one other villain that has been fleshed out with a full back story and made into a 3 dimensional character in the comic ? it dont happen so you have to fill in the blanks as a reader just like Rick has to fill in the blanks himself to trust people.
Nobody has changed the comic more then the Gov before Negan came around and that is what makes him interesting to me.
No character ever made me want to find out if he was evil to begin with or made that way by the ZA more then the Gov.
The reason the novels were even written was to satisfy all the interest into his background.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

RickRhymes

RickRhymes

Roamer

• Members
You're right. The Walking Dead's villains are all pretty one-dimensional, which makes sense given the setting. We're meeting these character years into the zombie apocalypse and we're not seeing much from their perspectives.

But even on the the villain side of things, The Governor doesn't rate very highly for me. He's gotten more focus than every other villain thus far and yet he's still not incredibly interesting to me. I mean, everything involving the Governor and Woodbury was great to read about and it really showcased what crazy, evil people in an apocalypse would be like. I don't actively dislike him, I just think people overrate him because he's connected to so many big events in the comics, like Rick losing his hand and the prison deaths. Just because he was an agent of change in the comic doesn't make him a great character.

If Derek and his crew killed Rick, Carl, Andrea and almost the entire Alexandria Safe-Zone, would they suddenly be amazing, interesting characters?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Oh, most definitely. Spencer Monroe is better than the TV show Governor. Father Gabriel is better than the TV show Governor. Donna is better than the TV show Governor. Barbara is....okay, that might be going to far.

I'm indifferent about Barbara, though. I hate the Governor. And not in that, "he's such a good villain that I hate him", way. In that, "this is such a boring villain that was butchered" way. The show will probably find a way to butcher Barbara haha.

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • LocationHolly's room
Prison arc best ever I'll say it over and over again. And who was the the villain?

Bitergram

Bitergram

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
Yay. More Gov. hate!

I thought the hunters had more personality than him.

ZykeLeight

ZykeLeight

Infected

• Members

Yay. More Gov. hate!

I thought the hunters had more personality than him.

agreed!

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that sometimes a 2-Dimensional villain can be BETTER than a 3-Dimensional villain. Not every villain needs and intense and heartbreaking story that makes you sympathize with them. Sometimes they can just be a psychopath with power

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

bkottond

bkottond

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
im going to keep this short

Underrated - Father Gabriel ( WTF is his character even doing?)

Overrated - Glenn, (It wasn't until he was killed off, that I started to find him overrated as a character. They way readers reacted to his death was reDICKuLESS. That and mostly because his death overshadowed Abe's death.)

"I'M TAINTED MEAT"

KingEzekiel

KingEzekiel

Infected

• Members
Billy Greene:

I think he is the most underrated character.

Edocil

Edocil

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationGreendale
I've always thought this. Him and Alice had so much damn potential wasted. He was the second best shot at the prison.

Gravelord

Gravelord

Lurker

• Members
I hate to being up the show...but why did they remove Billy and replace him with Beth? Billy was awesome and he is definitely underrated. He died at the right time though, his death made Hershel's all the more tragic and caused Maggie's road arc to happen. His death had purpose unlike a certain other character that died in the assault! It is a shame we never saw him on TV, he would have been great fun.

Rudy5.png "Let the slaughter begin..."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
Others said something similar here
http://www.roamersan...ted-characters/

I agree, but I feel like if Billy didn't die then, he'd be dead by now. His death was sad as hell, though. Hershel dragging his corpse behind, not realizing he's dead.

I still get more pissed about Alice, though. Why, Kirkman, WHY?! If he was going to kill her, he could've at least given her a better death. Like, Rick runs into Lori's cell, sees Alice pointing the gun at her, and then Rick shoots her. She tells him she wasn't a traitor and now Rick has to live with it. He hasn't even killed an innocent person yet (unless you count Martinez, but that's up in the air)

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
Billy Greene: MILF Hunter

Guest_CraigTNelsonMandela_*

Guest_CraigTNelsonMandela_*
  • Guests

I hate to bring up the show...but why did they remove Billy and replace him with Beth? Billy was awesome and he is definitely underrated. He died at the right time though, his death made Hershel's all the more tragic and caused Maggie's road arc to happen. His death had purpose unlike a certain other character that died in the assault! It is a shame we never saw him on TV, he would have been great fun.

people not giving a shit about the source material? :srug:

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy
Billy was a badass, however, he was the closest thing to Daryl (perfect at almost everything) at the beginning of the comics IMO.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Billy was a badass, however, he was the closest thing to Daryl (perfect at almost everything) at the beginning of the comics IMO.

I don't really remember early Billy but I seem to recall him not doing much and when he finally did, he screwed up a lot

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

He didn't cause her to do anything. She's a big girl and is responsible for her own actions. I think what Tyrese did was fucked up but he can't be blamed for what Carol's own weakness made her to do.

Kinda wanted that to happen on TV.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

KingEzekiel

KingEzekiel

Infected

• Members
He was the probably the most relatable character in the comic at the time. I always fealt like he should've survived the assault,

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Kinda wanted that to happen on TV.

Still might, or at least something similar. Doesn't necessarily have to be Carol... or even Tyrese for that matter as long as the core of the story is still there it will be a nice little shout out to the fans.

Sgthewolverine

Sgthewolverine

Lurker

• Members
I thought that to be the point though, so much potential wasted by a bullet in a pointless war.

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX
Overrated: Glenn. I'll probably get alot of shit for my opinion, but since saving Rick from the tank in the beginning I stopped liking his character. His over the top cowardice when captured by Woodbury and lack of 'epic' moments make him a more disposable character. His death didnt bother me, I like it because Maggie is proving to be far more interesting with him gone...whom I felt was next on my overrated list.

Underrated: The ASZ Monroe family. There was so much unexplored potential here to have Rick's group overthrow the family and take over ASZ by force like they were teasing. Had that happened, the current storyline with Negan could show many citizens of ASZ finding empathy for Negan and siding with him against Rick. Spencer as the only one left to question Rick and die the way he did just made the character look ridiculous instead of being a key dissenter inside the community.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Overrated: Glenn. I'll probably get alot of shit for my opinion, but since saving Rick from the tank in the beginning I stopped liking his character. His over the top cowardice when captured by Woodbury and lack of 'epic' moments make him a more disposable character. His death didnt bother me, I like it because Maggie is proving to be far more interesting with him gone...whom I felt was next on my overrated list.

Underrated: The ASZ Monroe family. There was so much unexplored potential here to have Rick's group overthrow the family and take over ASZ by force like they were teasing. Had that happened, the current storyline with Negan could show many citizens of ASZ finding empathy for Negan and siding with him against Rick. Spencer as the only one left to question Rick and die the way he did just made the character look ridiculous instead of being a key dissenter inside the community.

But Rick's group wouldn't have taken over by force, even Michonne saw how crazy Rick was acting. Also, I want the war to be more about Rick vs Negan than having Rick's army fall apart from within, it'll be cool to see a few people maybe switch sides but had Rick taken over by force the whole of Alexandria would never trust him and rightfully so.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!