Most Overrated And Underrated Characters?

- - - - - character overrated underrated

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
Underrated-I was going to say Alice because nobody mentions her but a lot of people regard her as one fo their favorites so I'm going to say Billy Greene. I was rereading the older arcs and I actually got really sad when he died. It's especially sad knowing that Hershel was telling him to put his helmet on.

Overrated-I hate to say it, but Tyreese. Like I said, I was rereading the older arcs. Tyreese was awesome in the second and third volume but he was pretty despicable in the fourth one. Then, his relationship with Rick kind of faltered. I used to be mad at how it seemed as if no character cared that much when he died but now I kind of see why. I don't hate him like other characters (Carol), but Abraham was a lot better. He was on my top 10, but not anymore. Again, I don't hate him. I actually kind of like him. He's definitely not one of my favorite characters anymore, though

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
Well, Tyreese did lose his daughter...that changes a person. I blame that on the faltering of the relationship between Rick and Tyreese.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
Tyreese and carol were my fave characters until michonne destroyed their relationship and carol decided to make out with lori & rick. And I hated Michonne for a while.
I think heath is underrated, I mean sure I would've traded his life for Glenns, but he holds his own, he has morals, he's a better bf than tyreese & abe, he lent his equipment and his hand to rescue andrea, and he defended rick and the group against nick even though he was initially worried about them.
Overrated= Rick, he's like the father that misses your baseball game..I like Rick the best when he's crazy or when he's killing evil people.
I also thiink that Jesus is over hyped, he's too meddlesome and not shirtless nearly as often as he ought to be, and he's always creeping around, but he has the potential to be one of the greatest characters of the book. If he dies without becoming awesome again, giving us a backstory and having a sex scene, he'll be the character with the greatest wasted potential, much like Morgan, who currently wears that crown, tho Alice was also a big waste of potential storylines too.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Underrated - Denise. That bitch is a fucking surgeon. Plus she's sleeping with Heath but is all "fuck you, I don't get attached to people." She's awesome.

Overrated - Carl. 9 times out of 10 he just annoys me.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
I think a big reason that characters get killed when they're potential storylines haven't been fleshed out is because it makes it more realistic. Some people die before they complete their character arc. It doesn't make for great storytelling but it happens. Axel, Alice, Abraham, Morgan, and Glenn all died before they could complete all of their potential storylines. I still think Alice should've survived the prison as killing her was just overkill, so to speak. She would've been a better lover for Rick than Jessie and maybe even Andrea (I liked her better with Dale). Killing Morgan was just insulting. RK seemed to think it would be a great idea to bring him back but had no idea what to do with him when he showed up. He kind of just stood there. The scene with Duane is one of my favorites but if Michonne and Morgan didn't date, I literally couldn't think of anything else that he did that was remotely significant. I could tell Kirkman was just writing 'No Way Out' and was just thinking...
"I can't just kill Jessie, Ron, and Douglas. These are all new characters. Who's an original I could take out...hmm...OH! Morgan! People will be so heartbroken!"
Except people weren't heartbroken and were more disappointed that nothing happened with him

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Underrated - Denise. That bitch is a fucking surgeon. Plus she's sleeping with Heath but is all "fuck you, I don't get attached to people." She's awesome.

Overrated - Carl. 9 times out of 10 he just annoys me.

Carl is my favorite character but Emo Carl is the worst

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
Leela, you're right. Denise is awesome, I love how she woke up Heath for another round and he thought she was gunna get all sappy on him. I like Denise better than Alice.
Iagree with you JM about dale and andrea, and you called it with Morgan. You're right that killing off acharacter before their storyline is concluded is more realistic but Kirkman does have a formula for killing off characters, Every character undergoes a foundamental change before they die. Glenn became optimistic, Abe forgave and lost a fight, doug got action oriented, jesse followed a new man, dale accepted death, Donna became open minded, jim decided to be a hero, shane was open about his feelings for lori, etc.. it basically applies to everyone except kids tertiary characters and people killed in major blood baths.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Well, Tyreese did lose his daughter...that changes a person. I blame that on the faltering of the relationship between Rick and Tyreese.

It wasn't that. It was more him cheating on Carol and causing her to attempt suicide. It's like Rick said, "Everyone's teetering on the edge. All they need is an excuse."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Leela, you're right. Denise is awesome, I love how she woke up Heath for another round and he thought she was gunna get all sappy on him. I like Denise better than Alice.
Iagree with you JM about dale and andrea, and you called it with Morgan. You're right that killing off acharacter before their storyline is concluded is more realistic but Kirkman does have a formula for killing off characters, Every character undergoes a foundamental change before they die. Glenn became optimistic, Abe forgave and lost a fight, doug got action oriented, jesse followed a new man, dale accepted death, Donna became open minded, jim decided to be a hero, shane was open about his feelings for lori, etc.. it basically applies to everyone except kids tertiary characters and people killed in major blood baths.

And now Michonne has decided she's done fighting. This can't end well

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
I know :( but I'm hoping that she'll be safe at the kingdom and her and zeke will practice some fighting and raise an army and that she won't die until she's old and grey in the next comic book series staring carl sophia and baby glen.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
Overrated = Jesus , Zeke , Shiva
We all know my trust issues with Jesus and i still think everything that is going on is basically all Jesus`s fault. He has been withholding information for a long time now and i cant figure out if he is helping Rick or setting him up. because of these lingering questions i just feel IMO Jesus is not well thought out and RK just wanted a guy named Jesus that knows kung-fu.
Zeke to IMO is another one that most people seem to think can be trusted and is going to help Rick and i am not so sure yet. The character IMO is not very interesting at all and the zookeeper background just seemed tacked on to explain the tiger.
Shiva is still ridiculous IMO even with the zookeeper background of Zeke, it still makes no sense that the tiger doesn't kill anyone that is not Zeke sooner or later.

and this is the nice(no missing limbs or guts hanging out) picture of a tiger attack that i found........

Underrated= Sophia
She is going to be the smartest of the group when she gets bigger. The way she knows what is going on and still remains a child at heart is going to be the yin to Carl`s yang when they eventually take over the group. I think Sophia is going to grow up with a great sense of morals compared to Carl`s hard killer attitude.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
+1
I completely agree. I hate the tiger so much. With the world set in reality, I really can't accept that a tiger would still be alive. He's a zookeeper. So? He said he went to the zoo in the early days but he never explained why. I love my dog but if it was the end of the world I wouldn't risk my life going back to retrieve it. Even if I can accept that, it still doesn't make sense. Tigers make a lot of noise and noise is your worst enemy in the zombie apocalypse. Especially a tiger that hates violence. Have they ever been low on food and decided to not feed the tiger? Or better yet, eat the tiger? I don't want to turn this thread into another Shiva debate so I'll stop there. While I appreciate Kirkman trying to explain Ezekiel and I did like his heart to heart with Michonne, I can't get past this tiger.

And Sophia...I was so disappointed in issue 109 because I thought it was going to be more of a bottle issue focused on Sophia and Maggie. She's been through so much and has arguably suffered as much as Maggie, Michonne, and Carl. As mentioned before, I hated Carol. Not because she was weird or insane...because she never thought about her daughter

Edit:
Here's an interesting, likely photoshopped tiger attack

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members

Overrated = Jesus , Zeke , Shiva
We all know my trust issues with Jesus and i still think everything that is going on is basically all Jesus`s fault. He has been withholding information for a long time now and i cant figure out if he is helping Rick or setting him up. because of these lingering questions i just feel IMO Jesus is not well thought out and RK just wanted a guy named Jesus that knows kung-fu.
Zeke to IMO is another one that most people seem to think can be trusted and is going to help Rick and i am not so sure yet. The character IMO is not very interesting at all and the zookeeper background just seemed tacked on to explain the tiger.
Shiva is still ridiculous IMO even with the zookeeper background of Zeke, it still makes no sense that the tiger doesn't kill anyone that is not Zeke sooner or later.
Underrated= Sophia
She is going to be the smartest of the group when she gets bigger. The way she knows what is going on and still remains a child at heart is going to be the yin to Carl`s yang when they eventually take over the group. I think Sophia is going to grow up with a great sense of morals compared to Carl`s hard killer attitude.

I trust Zeke more than I trust Jesus, and I hope Zeke proves you wrong by proving himself trustworthy.
I don't think shiva is that unreasonable, Kirkman addressed all of your complaints. we all love our pets, and they tried to care for hershel's livestock. I would keep it around for power, and friendship, and if times got desperate we could try to eat each other.
I hope you're right about Sophia.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
I loved carol until shetried to make out with lori the second she thought tyreese was dead, and I hated her after she tried to kill herself infront of sophia, it was so disappointing to see her go nuts.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
Not my intention to turn this into another i hate Shiva thread but i just gotta say.......
Kirkman did address some things about Shiva in a round about way that really still dont add up.
We all love our pets agreed and i would do anything for my dog Shadow.
I would go back for her in a ZA in a heartbeat. The thing is we are talking about going back for a domesticated dog compared to a 500-700 pound wild tiger that can kill you with one swipe of the paw or a bite and not even know its doing it.
The idea of going back for that kind of "pet" during the ZA is just outrageous to me IMO , how could you even think of being able to care for it zookeeper or not.
That is why is say Zeke`s background just seems like its tacked on just to explain the tiger being there it really makes no sense to me.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
I wouldn't go back to my dog, Yoda, if I had a family to protect. Ezekiel said Shiva was the last thing left in the world that he loved but I don't know...I stil don't think I would go back for my dog. He's quiet so he wouldn't bark a lot but in the end, I have to realize that my life is more important than his

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
i would go back for my dog she is TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
My dog would get me killed as he barks at everything, but I couldn't leave him. He'd be a great distraction, watchdog, companion and if necessary, sacrifice.In the ZA, I'd kill anyone to protect and feed my daughter.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I agree with both Heath and Denise being a bit underrated......they're brave, cool-headed, and smart......didn't Denise basically tell Negan to fuck off when he came to "claim" medical supplies?

Overrated: Negan

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I would say I'd go back for my dog, but I wouldn't have to, she'd find me. I got blessed with a stray who has Lassie-level intuition and communication skills.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I would say I'd go back for my dog, but I wouldn't have to, she'd find me. I got blessed with a stray who has Lassie-level intuition and communication skills.

What is it Boy ? A Walker in the well ?

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

It wasn't that. It was more him cheating on Carol and causing her to attempt suicide. It's like Rick said, "Everyone's teetering on the edge. All they need is an excuse."

He didn't cause her to do anything. She's a big girl and is responsible for her own actions. I think what Tyrese did was fucked up but he can't be blamed for what Carol's own weakness made her to do.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
He could've explained himself, though. He didn't have to beat the crap out of Rick. I used to love Tyreese but after rereading it, I just like him. Definitely not a favorite

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
She's deff responsible for her own actions, but you can't say she would have tried it if he didn't cheat. Its like bullied teens that commit suicide, sure it was their choice but it was made because they couldn't handle their tormentors, and to wash the bullies hands clean because it was the victim's choice is bullshit. Also id like to note that 2 of tyreese's gfs killed theirselves, and his daughter made a suicide pact.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
Two girlfriends killed themselves?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!