GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
Please enjoy:
Rock and a Hard Place Six

The Favor

Rachel Kirkman has never considered herself strong or smart. Growing up in Binford North Dakota, the second youngest girl of five, she has had to live in the shadow of her sisters’ greatness all her life. At 28, Rachel hadn’t accomplished much. She managed to graduate from college but barely with a degree in art studies. Her sister, Meredith was kind enough to tell her the degree was useless and she was right. After years of painting, drawing, and struggling to get her work in any kind of gallery, Rachel was unsuccessful as an artist or as Meredith would put it, a failure.

Rachel couldn’t afford to live on her own and was forced to move back in with her parents who were not too happy to have her. Her father would mumble how all that money for college was a waste, all Rachel could do was hold her head down and go to her room.

The local news has been filling with more reports of people acting strangely. Rachel’s sisters were home for the week to celebrate her mom’s birthday and had been out shopping when a disturbance occurred in the mall. Meredith spoke of having to go to the hospital after a crazy man in the mall bit her.

“Can you believe it? Some jerk off took a bite out of me. I hope I don’t need rabies shots. Tasha, you’re a doctor, what do you think?” Meredith asked.

“The wound has been dressed and all the tests were negative, you’ll be fine.” Tasha had recently finished her residency at the local hospital. They didn’t direct their conversation to Rachael but instead spoke as if she wasn’t there. Rachael doesn’t think they mean to be mean to her, but it was hard to think otherwise with their behavior. Rather them listen to them regal their tale, Rachael quietly walked upstairs to her room. She escaped back into her book, a thriller about zombies and the end of the world.

A loud bang on the front door disturbed her and she heard her father yell. What the hell was going on? Rachael heard a struggle then a shot gun blast. Her father keeps the gun in the hall closet in case of intruders and the thunderous blast brought Rachael downstairs to see her neighbor, Charles Knight, lying face down in a pool of blood. Her sisters and mother where screaming that he tried to eat her father.

Dad was leaning against the wall holding the remains of his arm that looked more like shredded meat than an elbow. Her mother held the shot gun and a shocked expression. Rachael couldn’t speak; she was instead looking out the front door at the horror that was unfolding. The streets were filled with people lumbering from house to house. There were no sirens, no police cars, and no signs of containment. Rachael recognized the shambling walk, the incoherent moans, the pale dead flesh and coagulated injuries as soon as she saw it. She was obsessed with zombie paraphernalia from books, to movies, to television shows. Rachael may not be a doctor, but she diagnosed this problem quickly and knew how to treat it.

She quietly closed the front door and spoke to her family.

“Dad is going to die and then he’s going to come back and kill us all. We need to take care of him. Meredith, you’ve been bit, you too will die.” Rachael didn’t mean to sound so cold but it was the truth. She took the shot gun out of her mom’s slack hand and methodically refilled the spent cartridge.

“What the hell are you talking about? We’re fine; we just need to get dad to the hospital.” Meredith was crying, the first time Rachael had seen her shed a tear. Meredith walked over to their trembling father. “Please, help me.” She pleaded.

“I am.” Rachael pointed the shotgun at Meredith’s head and pulled the trigger. The blast was loud in the close confines of the formal living room and red matter painted the beige wall. Rachael, being an artist, could appreciate the art of the spray. She shifted the smoking muzzle to her father’s head and pulled the trigger; the second blast was not as deafening.

Silent filled the house. No one could speak. Rachael resigned herself; she did what she had to do. There was no time to debate or explain. Slowly, Rachael looked at her three remaining sisters and her mother. She trained her eyes to focus on signs of injuries. She knew that Meredith was bit at the mall, Rachael could now see wrapped bandages around her sisters’ and mother’s hands. They must have tried to fight the infected man off Meredith unaware that they were sealing their fates.

They must have seen the knowing look in Rachael’s eyes as she reloaded the shotgun. They screamed at her to stop; that what she was doing was murder.

“We’re not infected! We’re not infected! You’re crazy! Rachael please, please stop!” Tasha took out her phone to dial 911, Rachael fired on her before she could punch send. It wouldn’t do any good regardless. Jen tried to run for the back door with her mom, Rachael stopped them with a gunshot to the back. They both flew forward landing in the kitchen.

Carly, the youngest, just stood there in the middle of the carnage. Out of all the sisters, Carly was the one Rachael was most close too. Rachael would have hesitated if not for the wound on Carly’s hand. She had to die or she’ll turn. She was doing them all a favor and can only hope that should she get bit, someone would do the same for her.

Rachael calmly walked to Carly who kneeled down on the hard wood floor. She knew there was no point in running. Silent tears ran down her face to her trembling body. Rachael didn’t want to see, but pointed the shotgun at Carly’s head and let loose the shell. The sound of the thud confirmed Carly’s lifeless body hitting the floor.

Strangely enough, no tears fell from Rachael. This was not something she wanted to do but had to do. Perhaps she should feel something, but she didn’t. There was a crash at the front door and Rachael expected more zombies to pour in after all the shot gun blasts but oddly enough two police officers ran into the living room; a look of abhorrence on their faces. Rachael blacked out.

“Has she said why she did it, Dr. Foster?” A man in a suit spoke while watching Rachael through a padded door.

“She just keeps saying that she had to do it. She claims they were infected and would turn into zombies if she didn’t kill them. Apparently, Ms. Kirkman, has been obsessed with anything zombie related.” Dr. Foster spoke clinically.

“Damn, seven murders. She calmly just killed her entire family because she thought they were zombies? She even shot the neighbor on the front porch. That’s crazy.” Suit man exclaimed.

“Yes, that’s why she’s here instead of on death row. Truthfully, I think she really does believe she was doing her family a favor by killing them. She really does believe the world has ended.” Dr. Foster sighed.

“Unfortunately, her world has ended. She’ll never get out of this hospital.” Suit man left the padded room containing the convicted killer. He walked down the long hallway with just the lonesome sound of his soles echoing in the silence. He went back to his office to start his report and would soon go home to his wife in the real world that did not end.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay
GIDM, your writing style and genre never cease to amaze me, excellent as always, you go girl.
Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
Dang! I wasn't expecting that!

Jenners

Jenners

Roamer

• Members
Absolutely fantastic! Wow! Keep writing these. They get better and better.
I love my town; This will not define us. 12/14/12. We choose love.

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
I really enjoyed the twist in this one.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!