Female Lead Characters In Games

- - - - - gaming ps3 ps4 xbox

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Are you sure you wouldn't want another Metroid: Other M instead?

Jesus, that was terrible. The last thing they should have done with Samus was make her a monotone, whiny brat with interspecies mommy and adoptive daddy issues. I need to pretend Other M doesn't exist simply for how much it spit on what I and many others appretiate about her as an icon. She was always a somber introvert, but they twisted that in the worst way possible; limelight melodrama to serve as the backbone of Other M's shambled and awkward narrative. It didn't help that the dialogue was cringe-worthy across the board.

Gravelord

Gravelord

Lurker

• Members
^ Amen, want to know the worst thing, the creator of that game re-wrote the timeline so the Metriod Prime games don't exist anymore. This is the same guy that made the originals, pretty much shows how little he cares for other peoples work on the series.

Rudy5.png "Let the slaughter begin..."

RickRhymes

RickRhymes

Roamer

• Members

Well Japan is certainly a strange place.

Lara is the perfect example of the industry doing something right. She's normal now. Here's a comparison

So big-breasted women aren't normal? Jesus, I'm surprised at you! They're still people, just like you and me! :P

Honestly, even though I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the '90s, it's good to know that they're treating one of the most iconic video game characters with respect these days.

Jesus, that was terrible. The last thing they should have done with Samus was make her a monotone, whiny brat with interspecies mommy and adoptive daddy issues. I need to pretend Other M doesn't exist simply for how much it spit on what I and many others appretiate about her as an icon. She was always a somber introvert, but they twisted that in the worst way possible; limelight melodrama to serve as the backbone of Other M's shambled and awkward narrative. It didn't help that the dialogue was cringe-worthy across the board.

^ Amen, want to know the worst thing, the creator of that game re-wrote the timeline so the Metriod Prime games don't exist anymore. This is the same guy that made the originals, pretty much shows how little he cares for other peoples work on the series.

Oh, I totally agree. Don't even get me started on Samus' relationship with Adam Malkovich. I can't believe Other M came from the same guy that directed Super Metroid. Retro needs to work on Metroid again and they need to get Jennifer Hale back to voice Samus.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I think Lara Croft is the only female game character whose breast have gotten smaller over the incarnations. I like the most recent Croft. She's more real and relatable.
I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
Fun little tidibit in concerns to women and videogames: The Last of Us online features women characters. You can't choose to be a woman or not, it just happens. I've played as a woman online in the game more times than a man. Kinda funny that Naughty Dog did that

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

BeauL83

BeauL83

Biter

• Members
  • LocationAustralia
Id prefer to play as a male but I really don't have a problem playing a female character.
I Believe In Rick Grimes

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Sure I'll PM you. I love gaming. I appreciate that you like playing games with female leads, even if it is for the eye candy. I'm a little ashamed to say that same. I started off playing Saints Row the Third with a female character but halfway through I got the surgery to make a strong male, really only for the eye candy. But female leads(that you can't customize) have been making big strides. I love the new Lara Croft and I never knew I had a problem with the old until I compared her with the new. I think women make really great characters because we're suppose to be nurturing and compassionate but may have to make decisions that go against those morals. That's why I like male characters that have a tortured side to them. As if they didn't want to be the hero. Ya think?

Oh no, not just for the eye candy...The eye candy is just one of the reasons =3

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Wow, really?

The Prime series was awesome and the first one was probably the first game I ever played to legitimately blow me away. It really broadened my view of what a first-person game was capable of. The visual effects and ambience were incredible in 2002 and remain solid even today. Plenty of games ended up taking inspiration from it as it was a truly ground-breaking first-person game. Second was really good, it lacked the punch of the first though I did like the more pressing survival aspects with the dark world. Third was pretty epic and had a lot of great, actiony moments while still mostly retaining the sense of exploration. I bought the trilogy package recently, and they really enhanced the games. The Wii controls work beautifully on the old ones and make them much more intuitive to play, while they've also added an achievement reward system and very reduced load times espcially at the doors which open almost instantly all the time now.

But yeah, that does seem rather arrogant how he wrote them out of the timeline. At least I can take consolation in the fact that Prime Samus is different from Other M Samus.

RickGrimeyGrimes

RickGrimeyGrimes

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationEng-er-land
How about black male lead characters? They are very rare. CJ in GTA:San Andreas aside who else has there been in an AAA release? And even then he was a gangsta from "compton" doesn't get more stereotypical than that...Oh and they are doing it again in GTA V with Franklin.
Tread Lightly

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
Lee Everett?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

RickRhymes

RickRhymes

Roamer

• Members

I bought the trilogy package recently

Off-topic, but I have to ask how recently was it that you bought the Prime Trilogy, where did you buy it from and how much did you buy it for? I've been looking for the Prime Trilogy on Wii forever, but I can never seem to find it in stores anymore and it doesn't sell for anything less than eighty dollars these days. As much as I love the Prime games, I'm just not willing to spend that much on it right now. I really want to, though.

RickGrimeyGrimes

RickGrimeyGrimes

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationEng-er-land

Lee Everett?

I would have included him but I was talking about AAA games...Your CODs, Battlefields
Tread Lightly

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
Barrett isn't a main character but he certainly was fucking awesome

RickGrimeyGrimes

RickGrimeyGrimes

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationEng-er-land

Barrett isn't a main character but he certainly was fucking awesome

Who?
Tread Lightly

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
Oh yeah my bad final fantasy 7

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Off-topic, but I have to ask how recently was it that you bought the Prime Trilogy, where did you buy it from and how much did you buy it for? I've been looking for the Prime Trilogy on Wii forever, but I can never seem to find it in stores anymore and it doesn't sell for anything less than eighty dollars these days. As much as I love the Prime games, I'm just not willing to spend that much on it right now. I really want to, though.

A funny story, actually. I bought it from a guy who was about to trade all his Wii stuff at GameStop a few weeks ago. I actually had to interrupt the transaction he was doing at the store when I saw it, which the store employee wasn't very happy about. I had to outbid the trade-in value for him so I ended up paying $40 out of my pocket, but it was worth it and way better ridiculous prices online which have prevented me from getting it. I would have never noticed it if the employee didn't say "Wow, that's worth a lot!" when he scanned the box for the trade-in value. Needless to say I got lucky, so I don't expect my words to be very useful. Sorry I can't help you.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

A funny story, actually. I bought it from a guy who was about to trade all his Wii stuff at GameStop a few weeks ago. I actually had to interrupt the transaction he was doing at the store when I saw it, which the store employee wasn't very happy about. I had to outbid the trade-in value for him so I ended up paying $40 out of my pocket, but it was worth it and way better ridiculous prices online which have prevented me from getting it. I would have never noticed it if the employee didn't say "Wow, that's worth a lot!" when he scanned the box for the trade-in value. Needless to say I got lucky, so I don't expect my words to be very useful. Sorry I can't help you.

That's awesome! Good for you. :) Great buy, I'd be psyched.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0KTUysrwgQ&list=FLqGH5M6XLWnT-vlvHPOB4aA&index=24I have to admit that having female game characters does add a little sex appeal, there are some that even women gamers would be like "whoa, she's hot" I just don't want the gaming industry to use female characters for that sole purpose. Women can add a lot of dimension to a game. For example, here's a clip of the technology that was used to make Heavy Rain, it is a female character that once people see this are begging the game industry to make into an actual game.

RickRhymes

RickRhymes

Roamer

• Members

Damn. All right. Thanks. I guess I'll have to keep looking for it. Congrats on getting it at a decent price.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
GDM, have you played the Ace Attorney series? While I was playing it, it hit me that all the female characters in that game are very well represented and not for fanservice, despite being a Japanese game (though Mia does have huge boobs, but she's a fleshed out character). It hit me while I was playing as the girl character in the new game how great these characters are. They're all wickedly clever, smart, and have great and complex personalities/backstories

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

Mr. Random

• Administrators
  • LocationColorado
I never found Peach's role all that bad. And we've had strong female characters since Metroid. And if you really want to look at strong females look to any of the off shoot RPG series not by Square Enix in recent years or some of the horror ones.

The thing is there will always be a princess in a tower. It's a story standard nowadays. You can evolve that and say she got taken by super space pirates after she fought them off vailantly before being over taken by the numbers and then her super powered boyfriend comes to save her but ultimately it's still hero v villain for girl.

All and all I'm not appalled by where we are at in the gaming industry with female leads. Did you notice that Tell Tale is using a non white, young girl named Clementine as the playable character in the next Walking Dead game? That could be an epic journey where she goes from weak and scared to strong and brave.
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA
I don't think physical strength has an appeal for me with female characters, females make great characters because of their duality. Women are looked at to be nurturers, caregivers, mothers, but you mess with their family, they become ferocious. I the animal kingdom the females are more deadly.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

I don't think physical strength has an appeal for me with female characters, females make great characters because of their duality. Women are looked at to be nurturers, caregivers, mothers, but you mess with their family, they become ferocious. I the animal kingdom the females are more deadly.

This exactly^
I prefer that kind of personality for Video Game women than the sort of 'grizzled, don't take none of yo crap' personality.
And don't take this the wrong way, I'm not being sexist, but the former is the more realistic and common.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Given a choice, my boyfriend always chooses a female character, 'cause he's a perv, and wants to see a woman's butt while he plays.   :P

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Given a choice, my boyfriend always chooses a female character, 'cause he's a perv, and wants to see a woman's butt while he plays.   :P

Heeeey, I do the same!

"There's no "I" in team" 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!