On The Road Or Stay Put

- - - - - pros cons prison RV

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Now I’m just pointing out the bad parts in each scenario, which would you choose?
So if you find yourself with 12 others similar to those in the core group. Would you personally think its better to stay in a prison type location. Safety isn’t guaranteed, proven by TG assault as well as the fact that the back of the prison has openings walkers can get in. Supplies eventually run out so each run takes the “runners” further and further away from home base as the areas nearby get cleaned out allowing for greater danger.
Would you stay on the road, just you and 12 others a couple of mobile homes. You run the risk into getting into a herd situations and RVs would be difficult to take down narrow country roads. You would still have to make pit stops, to gather supplies, do washing, leaving yourself vulnerable out in the open and of course its not just walkers but other unfriendlies too.

Zeus....DAMMIT!

Zeus....DAMMIT!

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationChicago
It all depends on area and who knows what as far as skill sets in the groups....imo
No matter where you go....there you are. - Team Bonzai

Viridiana

Viridiana

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationPoland
Maybe stay in the prison for a year or so, then, when everything around is looted, move to another location and secure it for another year or so. There must be a lot of prisons in a country... And I've been wondering why they didn't try to find another prison far away from the gov... Wouldn't they have some information on locations of other prisons in the offices of some important people of the prison or something?

Canadian-Walker

Canadian-Walker

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCold Lake Alberta Canada
It would depend on how actual defensible the prison is and what you can actually do with it in terms of growing food and being able to find and raise cattle I'm fenced areas of the prison

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
You could stay put if you were somewhere you could farm and had access to water. You'd still always need a contingency plan in place to escape at a moment's notice if a herd or raiders were approaching; always have people on watch!

**PHAGE**

**PHAGE**

Infected

• Members
  • LocationThe River Styx
I think it would be favourable to stay put in the same place. If you go out on to the open road it would become much harder to control your environment. The constant search for fuel, not knowing whether a chosen route from a map is actually still clear to travel by. Having to raid supplies more often due to limited storage probably equals more exposure to walkers. IMO there are too many unknowns on the road.

The prison isn't ideal but I think you could control the environment more successfully. As Sweetsister pointed out a big problem would be the ever increasing travel distance to find supplies. At some point it'll be a matter of diminishing returns and moving on will be the only option, unless you were lucky enough to find years of supplies close by via a shopping center. I wouldn't like to bet on it though. I would send out scouting parties in advance to check out locations that maybe suitable for relocation. Try and plan/organize as much as possible ahead of the bug out time.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
When all is said and done a non sustainable nomadic life is the least ideal. The prison can be fortified and defended. Areas sectioned off and given specific roles C Block is the communal center. B Block is where we sleep, A Block is where all the medical supplies go. They have storage space, room to maanuver, an area to start growing food and bugging out is always an option. On the road would be horrible. They would have to constantly have to search for fuel that will eventually degrade into uselessness. Speaking of which, eventually gas will run out unless they start using walkers to make biodisiel (which requires hunting FOR them) or convert their vehicles into wood/charcoal driven gasifiers (where tree chopping or wood salvaging would make noise) Vehicles can get stuck.. what do you do when your ambulance breaks down without any replacment parts. Rick's group circled the same area all winter. Hunkering down, fortifying, defending and eventually reclaiming from a main base of operations. Definalty

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

BeauL83

BeauL83

Biter

• Members
  • LocationAustralia
I would probably stay put until absolutely nessesary to leave.
I Believe In Rick Grimes

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!