How Did Merle Get To Woodbury?

Merle woodbury atalanta

BringOnTheZPOC

BringOnTheZPOC

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCanterbury, England.
Forgive me if it's just my mind being feeble but are we ever told how Merle made it to Woodbury? For that matter, how he even made it out of Atlanta?

Merle had one hand, no blade on it at this point, and somehow makes it through the streets of Atlanta, which we see are filled with Walkers, to then get to a truck he had no way of knowing was there, and then instead of driving back to camp he ends up at Woodbury...

Is it me or is that shaky writing?
"The line is pretty clear; zero tolerance for Walkers" - Daryl Dixon

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
Very shaky. There are only about sixty miles from Atlanta to Woodbury but seeing how close Hershel was to dying in a safe area, it doesn't make sense for a weaponless, one handed Merle to be able to fend of walkers on his way to the outside of Atlanta and then go off completely out of direction instead of towards his brother. Cauterizing a wound doesn't stop you from bleeding out completely.

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
TG saved him, I think.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
From some of the information that has been provided to us, we can piece together our own story.

Merle told Andrea that the Governor found him. Whatever story you have made up in your mind about what happened after Merle escaped the rooftop, would come into play here. In my mind, Merle took the Ferenc Truck (from Rick and crew) and went looking for drugs. He probably broke into a pharmacy looking for any kind of pain killer and was trying to lay low and recoup. I also believe that the Guv started out in Atlanta (he said something about starting out with 9 - 11 people in an apartment). So, somehow the Guv comes upon Merle while still in Atlanta.

It's just a theory and makes more sense to me than Merle stumbling upon Woodbury while almost near death.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
Agreed. His loyalty (in the beginning) to TG was based on having been saved whilst in a pathetic state. I think "almost bled out" were his words so he had to be in Atl still.

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members

From some of the information that has been provided to us, we can piece together our own story.

Merle told Andrea that the Governor found him. Whatever story you have made up in your mind about what happened after Merle escaped the rooftop, would come into play here. In my mind, Merle took the Ferenc Truck (from Rick and crew) and went looking for drugs. He probably broke into a pharmacy looking for any kind of pain killer and was trying to lay low and recoup. I also believe that the Guv started out in Atlanta (he said something about starting out with 9 - 11 people in an apartment). So, somehow the Guv comes upon Merle while still in Atlanta.

It's just a theory and makes more sense to me than Merle stumbling upon Woodbury while almost near death.

Exactly what I thought too. The governor started out with a small group in Atlanta, and somehow they came upon Merle.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Exactly what I thought too. The governor started out with a small group in Atlanta, and somehow they came upon Merle.

I second that. I figured that TG saw that Merle survived despite having his hand cut off and could be good additional muscle TG would also feel Merle owed him loyalty for being "saved"

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Yeah, even though it is not canon, I always thought that the Guv was responsible for killing the Vatos and that is how he started amassing his supplies. Once Atlanta was overrun, they started looking for a safer place.

JHamilton

JHamilton

S-mart Employee

• Members
Spoiler
While I know they don't follow the comics too closely, they do follow it none the less. Therefore they may also include aspects of the novels which are meant to line up with the comics I believe. Since the show doesn't exactly line up it is conceivable that in the AMC TWD that they came across Merle. Remember they lost Merle in the first season, and the second season spanned how many months in the show, plus the eight months between second and third, then the time until the 1 year party. I think it all lines up.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
I too agree that the information we have been presented indicates that Merle mostly likely met up with the Guv prior to Woodbury. I too am left with the impression that the Guv and Merle met while fleeing Atlanta. I also agree with the OP that Merle taking the truck does seem to waiver from the apparent timeline of Merle meeting the Guv in Atlanta but there is always the possibility that it wasn't Merle who took the truck.

It was initially theorized by many, including the characters of the story that Merle took the truck. After all, presumably Merle would have left Atlanta on the same route the crew would have used (prior to meeting Rick) because the path was "clear". and presumably when Rick and company re-entered the city looking for Merle they would have also used that same route again, so it makes sense that Merle would have come across the truck in his escape from Atlanta.

However, The group appeared to follow the train tracks into and out of the city. This is logical for many reasons: typically a strait shot, area would have been previously scarcely inhabited (e.g. less walkers) and the path is wide & open allowing for great visibilty of potential walker threats. My point is many people trying to flee Atlanta would have also seen the advantages of following the tracks and thus there is a high probabilty that anyone fleeing Atlanta would have come across the perfectly placed truck and use it for there own advantage.

I don't recall there being any evidence that it was actually Merle who took the truck, please correct me if I am wrong.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSan Diego

Yeah, even though it is not canon, I always thought that the Guv was responsible for killing the Vatos and that is how he started amassing his supplies. Once Atlanta was overrun, they started looking for a safer place.

This is pretty much what I thought. It would also explain how the truck went missing But Merle never went back to camp. Merle would take the same path back to camp that Glen used to get into Atlanta. If someone found him close to the truck but semiconscious, they would have taken him and the truck to base camp.

BringOnTheZPOC

BringOnTheZPOC

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCanterbury, England.
I suppose it's entirely probable that TG found him in or around Atlanta, thanks guys! :lol:
"The line is pretty clear; zero tolerance for Walkers" - Daryl Dixon

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I don't recall there being any evidence that it was actually Merle who took the truck, please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that's a really good point. Rick quickly assumed it was Merle that took the truck when they discovered it missing, but nothing else ever came out of that storyline. It was never again mentioned by Merle, Daryl or Rick, at least on-camera.

I think it was much more likely someone else took the truck. I say that because if Merle found the truck, why wouldn't he have gone back to the camp to check on Daryl?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!