Is It Taking Less Time To Turn Into A Walker?

- - - - - Walkers Consistency Rules

MikeSmith

MikeSmith

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAnn Arbor
Sorry if this has been discussed before; I am new to the forum.

I just put up an article about this on my website http://nowso.com/wal...to-turn-walker/ but it occurred to me that the Walking Dead fanatics here probably already have this sorted out.

Is it taking less time to turn into a walker than it did when the show first started? I can't think of too many instances where we definitively see how long it takes to turn. But Melvin only took about 10 minutes or so. The old man Melvin was experimenting on earlier in Season 3 didn't take very long either - and Melvin seemed to anticipate that he would be coming back very quickly, like that was the norm.

Shane, back in Season 2, seemed to take 30 minutes to an hour. Andrea's sister Amy took several hours, if not the better part of a day.

Could it be that the virus/infection/magic thing that is in people has been there so long it's made them more susceptible to its effects after death? Or are the writers just inconsistent?

I seem to vaguely remember some character at some point in the show saying it takes minutes to hours. Who said that (if anyone).

Thanks!
Walking Dead reviews: http://nowso.com/tag/walking-dead/ .
Follow on Twitter: @nowso1

Chic

Chic

Roamer

• Members
I thought that it was, the more adrenaline you had, the faster you turned. Amy was calm so it took about 8 hours for her to turn. Shane was full of adrenaline so he turned within the night.

But Milton was a fucking potato and he turned into a walker the quickest out of anyone.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
I think it's a toss up. Amy took the longest , Jim well were not sure but he may have been the longest . We also don't know how long Andrea and Milton were in that room with him dying but I agree it seemed quick and it's odd because he died by a knife not a zombie .

It seems as if an actual bite takes longer then a shot or being killed by a human

Shane and Milton both Rose pretty quickly 30 mins to an hour .

Jim and Amy took a long time as Andrea had time to sit an stare at Amy from night to morning. Jim was BIT that night and didn't change during the day or while the group tied him up . And he didn't look like he was changing besides the fact he had a fever.

Andrea we didn't get time to see how long it would take because she took the badasses way out :)

As for anyone else I don't think I'm forgetting anyone, we didn't see Sophia get bit so who knows how long it took her.

Merle was shot and he reanimated within an hour, it was still light out when Daryl discovered him.

The only bite someone succumbed to was Amy and she was fatally wounded because her neck was bit.

Andrea shot herself before she turned
Jim we never physically saw him turn but we are left to assume he turned

If someone were to be really ballsy we could even debate the bite isn't what turns you but death does

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
Oh and Donna were not sure if she died or passed out. She never had the chance to reanimate

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys
I'm pulling this out of my memory, which isn't to good these days, so don't hold me to it until I can fact check. I believe Dr. Jenner at the CDC gave a timeframe for reanimation of two minutes to eight hours.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.

I'm pulling this out of my memory, which isn't to good these days, so don't hold me to it until I can fact check. I believe Dr. Jenner at the CDC gave a timeframe for reanimation of two minutes to eight hours.

This is correct.
But since season 1 with Amy's death every human has reanimated within 10 minutes, tops. It's become a little hokey.
     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.”

Zombie_killer

Zombie_killer

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationHampshire, UK

I was going to say the same - Jenner said the shortest recorded time was 2 minutes and the longest 8 hours

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
This thing to remember about Jenner's range of 2 minutes to 8 hours is if you plotted his data on a graph, what would it look like. If you watch 1000 people turn, is it spread evenly over that range, or is the typical time about an 1 hour and the very quick and very long ones are aberrations. Based on what we've seen it looks like the latter.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSan Diego
Maybe the "virus" has nestled in after more time has passed. It is now part of all of their cells, waiting to be activated. Maybe now we get spontaneous turnings.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!