The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 16 - Welcome To The Tombs - Season Finale Review

rick the governor the jail woodbury the walking dead season 3 season finale

The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale - Welcome To The Tombs (383 )

What is your opinion on the Season 3 Finale?

1. Excellent (85 [22.19%] - )

22.19%

2. Good - Some Critiques (133 [34.73%] - )

34.73%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (102 [26.63%] - )

26.63%

4. Poor (63 [16.45%] - )

16.45%

Will You Be Returning for Season 4?

1. Yes (336 [87.73%] - )

87.73%

2. No (9 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

3. Maybe - I want to see changes (38 [9.92%] - )

9.92%

ElGhosteh

ElGhosteh

Infected

• Members
  • LocationTexas
They rushed the season, tried to slow down, and it ended shitty because of it

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members
No matter how much anyone seems to dislike the finale, they can't deny the scene of Allen getting a bullet between the eyes wasn't at least somewhat euphoric. Anyone else? Anyone?...

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
Completely shocked at the ending. I had no idea Andrea would be dying. Was it leaked that she'd be dead or was everyone else shocked as well?

I feel it was such a lackluster finale, like seriously. And Andrea's death was so cheap it makes me so sad. Now we know why Laurie Holden was not so happy on the Talking Dead not too long ago. I feel so sorry for her. I am sure she would have loved to continue on with this series for as long as possible.

I hated the way Andrea went out. Seriously, throughout the episode they had her stop and stare at Milton a good 4 or 5 times. Okay, if you're going to kill her off, I understand, but don't make her look like a dumbass in the process. Had she kept focusing on getting her cuffs off instead of staring at Milton whenever he made a noise, she would have had a fighting chance. Ugh.

I am really sad about her death. It's the biggest deviation of the comics thus far, and I'm okay with deviation but this might be a little too much. The only good thing about her death (thinking on the bright side) is that Melissa McBride might finally be put in the beginning credits. Carol is the only surviving female from the first season so I feel as if she deserves it. Hope they keep her around for a long time.

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members
Um. Why is everyone hating on Glenn Mazzra when it was AMC who fired him and made Scott Gimple rewrite this episode?
I believe that Mazzara had a much darker vision than AMC wanted and that's why he was axed.

Creative differences, remember?

Fuck Scott Gimple.

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Um. Why is everyone hating on Glenn Mazzra when it was AMC who fired him and made Scott Gimple rewrite this episode?
I believe that Mazzara had a much darker vision than AMC wanted and that's why he was axed.

Fuck Scott Gimple.

To be fair, we have no idea what Gimple went in to rewrite. For all we know, the rewrite could have had absolutely nothing to do with Andrea's death. I REALLY want to know what the rewrite was. However, if I find out that Mazarra had kept Andrea alive and then Gimple went in and killed her off... there will be blood. :jasonani:

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy
Who else thinks now that Andrea is gone, Daryl will sort of fill in for her role that she is currently playing in the comics? As long as they keep Rick, Carl, Daryl, Michonne, Glenn and Maggie alive through the next season then I think I'll live...

'Rick' Duff

'Rick' Duff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationAberystwyth, Wales
Creative differences is usually the term used when they're trying to cover something up. The latest rumour circling Twitter is that Kirkman wanted Mazarra fired personally because he killed Andrea off.

Rague

Rague

S-mart Employee

• Members
Fair, and not what I expected. I'm definitely not going to be reading the graphic novels/comics until the TV series is over. I'm the kind of person who would start barking every time the show did something different or less awesomely than the original did.

I was fairly surprised that they took the initiative and held their ground. Trying not to think ahead, when I saw the Woodbury Army bust into the Prison, it occurred to me that the Guv'na knew nothing about the Walkers in the catacombs. Then I figured, oh, they could let him into the catacombs and bait the Walkers.

And the Guv'na's 'hot flash killing spree' was not what I expected either.

I had this nagging feeling that TWD writers wrote themselves into a corner - Morgan's in the loony bin, Lori's dead, leaving Rick and Carl to keep their family together, Hershel's one-legged so he's going to be less action-oriented, Shane's dead, so Rick's only foil is the Guv'na. Andrea's caught between two survival camps. Guv'na wants Michonne dead, no exceptions.

So I was sort of expecting the finale wouldn't end with an epic fistfight between Rick and the Guv'na. The Guv'na's a really powerful antagonist, so I really didn't want him to get whacked by some pot shot or knifed without an engaging conversation beforehand. I really wanted to see him and Rick sit down and shoot the shit again.

There were emotions, feelings, deaths, gunshots, character development, and major character deaths in this episode. Not as many zombies as one might expect, at least compared to Season 2. The acting from Carl, Michonne, and the Guv'na's actors were some of the best from this episode, whereas I didn't get that much from Hershel, Daryl, or Rick.

I think my favorite moment was when Shuppert and Martinez got into the car with Guv'na. Martinez's facial expression was priceless.

The ending was sort of weak. I would have put a scene of the Guv'na smiling, driving down the road to parts unknown. I wanted to see what would become of this guy - but he rode off into the sunset. He knows where the prison is... so what next?

Carl's character development has taken an interesting turn.

Overall, it just didn't develop or kill off the characters I was expecting.

broncofanil

broncofanil

Infected

• Members
I think mazzera stands for fuck up a wet dream in Italian. (prick)

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members

To be fair, we have no idea what Gimple went in to rewrite. For all we know, the rewrite could have had absolutely nothing to do with Andrea's death. I REALLY want to know what the rewrite was. However, if I find out that Mazarra had kept Andrea alive and then Gimple went in and killed her off... there will be blood. :jasonani:

We know from filming spoilers from the reshoot that Andrea was seen to be covered in blood, which took place after the rewrite, which Scott Gimple did. So that leads me to believe that was one of the major elements of the new plot, to kill Andrea.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN

Greatest review ever.

Double quote due to being soooo right.

Cactus

Cactus

Infected

• Members
16 episodes and nothing really happened. They are still in the prison. The Governor is still out there. The group is safe. I shouldnt feel that way. I should feel that the group is in danger.

A good, what, 4 episodes were wasted on Rick struggling with Lori, but he was hard to connect with and never really expressed his struggle. I really needed a moment where Rick said "I want to protect you all and my decisions keep getting everyone killed." Rick carries a heavy burden to be sure, but the viewer was left to wonder about Rick too much. Show he is struggling, show how personally he takes it when someone dies, but I feel like too much distance was put between the viewer and Rick. I think that is part of why Daryl became so popular. He was the only one emotionally available once Rick became unavailable.

The direction with Andrea drove me nuts. I really dislike the "The viewer knows something but the character doesn't. Lets see if they figure it out in 16 episodes!" That is incredibly frustrating as a viewer. Its like a 16 episode "The killer is behind the door!" moment. Exhausting and frankly at the end I had no emotion towards the character at all.

Tyrese was introduced to do what exactly? The writers say they had big things in mind and when he left the prision and ended up in Woodberry we heard how we would love what Tyrese's role would be. Well lets see there was that one time where...no. Well he...um...I guess he disagreed with the Governor a few times? Even the last episode he tells Sasha to wait in the room while he leaves. The viewer expects Tyrese is going to save Andrea and he does what exactly? Nothing.

It was a really frustrating season. I love the comics, I'll watch season 4, but this season was frustrating to watch. So much potential wasted. Little to no development of the characters. The last few episodes felt rushed with the exception of the stellar Morgan episode.

Now the group is safe in the prison with new survivors? Season 4 is prison pt 2? Cant say thats very exciting.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members

Completely shocked at the ending. I had no idea Andrea would be dying. Was it leaked that she'd be dead or was everyone else shocked as well?

I feel it was such a lackluster finale, like seriously. And Andrea's death was so cheap it makes me so sad. Now we know why Laurie Holden was not so happy on the Talking Dead not too long ago. I feel so sorry for her. I am sure she would have loved to continue on with this series for as long as possible.

I hated the way Andrea went out. Seriously, throughout the episode they had her stop and stare at Milton a good 4 or 5 times. Okay, if you're going to kill her off, I understand, but don't make her look like a dumbass in the process. Had she kept focusing on getting her cuffs off instead of staring at Milton whenever he made a noise, she would have had a fighting chance. Ugh.

Nobody knew Andrea was dying for sure. I had this weird feeling, when I saw Sarah Wayne and Laurie Holden sharing the same image on the credits (the centipede walking through the dirt), after Lori died, it was possibly a sign. (That they'd be rotting with the bugs, bascially).

Andrea had so much potential, I don't understand why they segregate her for a whole series, leave her out of the action and then have her die.

I feel sorry for Laurie. She wanted to be back with the prison group, was begging writers. She had hate mail. She had to see Andrea go through this storyline. Also, Laurie put so much love and effort on to the show, apparent by her twitter which is always talking about her love for the show. And this is what she gets? She can't enjoy playing Andrea in some of the potential greater plots to come. Her mourning of Amy/Dale....gone. We don't get to see her develop and fight through the world after these losses.

It will be so sad to see the episodes again where she ends up in Woodbury, and especially "Prey", when she almost gets to the prison again and then is taken back.

I hope Carol becomes a lead female - but they better not kill her off the moment she is promoted. Seriously, Lori and Andrea gone - liked them both.

Gov should have died.

Grénádé

Grénádé

Lurker

• Members
I had huge expectations that could have never been realistically met, but this is still my favorite hour of television so I enjoyed it.

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members
I am in agreement that merging the prison group with the useless Woodburians that none of us care about and will continue to not care about was a really sloppy last minute ending. I mean seriously...when you have me empathizing with pissed off Carl, that is when you KNOW something has gone terribly wrong. I would have been pissed too. I don't blame the kid. You couldn't stop for one hitch hiker but you can cram a busload of useless people with no talent or usefulness into your group like its hunky dory? The hell?? And who is to say that all of them are convinced the Gov was truly evil? The one thing I will say is I don't know why people are suggesting Rick move into Woodbury. That's a terrible idea IMO. The Gov is still out there. He built that town. He knows it like the back of his hand. Living in that backwater town is only going to make you sitting ducks for him if or when he decides to come back. Having said that, I don't know how they're going to write themselves out of this one. We now have to deal with an army of faceless stunt doubles who will more than likely over-saturate the already lacking character development across the group we've grown to care about. I don't see them going down this route....

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Fuck Scott Gimple.

I've noticed that most of the bitching about Mazzara is really just because of his deviations from the comic. Of course they don't say that.

But the bitching mainly centered around Andrea in Woodbury and her affair with the governor (none of that happens in the comic). By contrast, the episode "Clear" garnered tons of praise from Mazzara's critics.

In that episode, Rick takes a trip back home to King county where he runs into Morgan. Well, the exact same thing happens in the comic and every character in that episode is a character in the comic.

Seems Mazzara's critics complain about "poor writing" and "incoherent story telling" when the story deviates from the comic book.

I guess they think the writing would be improved by more F-Bombs (tons in the comic) and frequent use of the obscure phrase "..." (ellipses within the comic book characters' caption bubbles is a regular feature in the comics).

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas
WHY THE FUCK IS PHILIP STILL ALIVE?????

At least he killed Allen, though. I take comfort in that.

Ohhhhhh, Andrea. Still trying to process that one.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members

I've noticed that most of the bitching about Mazzara is really just because of his deviations from the comic. Of course they don't say that.

But the bitching mainly centered around Andrea in Woodbury and her affair with the governor (none of that happens in the comic). By contrast, the episode "Clear" garnered tons of praise from Mazzara's critics.

In that episode, Rick takes a trip back home to King county where he runs into Morgan. Well, the exact same thing happens in the comic and every character in that episode is a character in the comic.

Seems Mazzara's critics complain about "poor writing" and "incoherent story telling" when the story deviates from the comic book.

I guess they think the writing would be improved by more F-Bombs (tons in the comic) and frequent use of the obscure phrase "..." (ellipses within the comic book characters' caption bubbles is a regular feature in the comics).

I personally don't mind if they deviate from the comics, as long as the story is still good. Unfortunately, this one wasn't.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

Because the rumor is that Mazzara was fired after execs saw the second half of this season. A disappointing finale would support that theory.

I'm almost relieved to have gotten through this season - now I can completely let go of all expectations of quality I still had. If the writers are taking such choice material from the comics and this season is the best they can do, forget it. Show is now officially meaningless, but fun, schlock.

Cactus

Cactus

Infected

• Members

A: Mazzara didnt write clear. It was written by Gimple.
B: Rick goes back to Kentucky with Abraham several issues past the prision when the group is headed somewhere else. By introducing it so early in the show there are many important things that happen that can't now.

CreepMeOut

CreepMeOut

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationToronto
Not an epic finale like i was expecting
R.I.P Andrea

Never thought Carol would be the last female character standing from season 1
She looks like shes gonna be badass next season

Undead Flesh

Undead Flesh

Infected

• Members
I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to the forum so I'll go ahead and ask. Who is Leela?

jayde

jayde

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I'm heartbroken over Andrea, and pissed at how stupid Rick and Co are by takingthe Woodbury residents to the prison. What the fuck? There's only 3 enemies and you decide to live in cells rather than a town that's currently up for the taking? Idiots.

And why not show just a glimpse of The Governor at the end? First they leave Merle behind in season one, and in season two the leave Andrea and now in season three there are more unresolved plot. Come on, man.

The Governor built that town. He fortified it. He knows every possible weakness and every loophole. He's also out there doing who the heck knows what after his rampage. I think taking Woodbury would be a bad move at this point. Sure it's bold and sends a message but it can be taken down just as easy, if not easier than the prison.

The Governor didn't even attempt to take the prison when they first saw it. Instead he took up in an old town and had that walled off - but Rick and company had no problems breaching the walls on the first time they came upon it (even if they had help). The only real benefit of staying in Woodbury is that they can see who's approaching from the main road, but I'm sure there are other ways around that.

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationWinterfell

I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to the forum so I'll go ahead and ask. Who is Leela?

A member on here who has very passionately been rooting for Andrea since the beginning.

3VHWYjA.gif

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
Ugh. I HATE losing original characters. I so wanted to see Andrea reunited with the prison group, and it is so sad that she never quite made it. I REALLY want to know what the rewrites for this episode are now!! I'm not blaming Mazarra for Andrea being killed off, because while it may have been his idea, if AMC hadn't wanted it, they could have changed it easily when they went back and did some more filming. My guess is that it was AMC's decision, possibly because they were pandering to so many fans hating Andrea this season. What a shame.

I was really shocked that they killed her off. Wasn't expecting that at all. I expected deaths in the prison group. It was pretty sad that after all Andrea has suffered through and fought through, she was brought down by innocent, scientist Milton. (I'm a little surprised that she didn't manage to kill him without being bit..kick him away until you can get a good aim at his eye...but whatever) And sad that her own desire for safety and security and community ended with her being put in more danger than anyone else in the group. But LH was right..she wasn't a victim, even in the end.

Quick hand-holding between Carol and Daryl. :wub: Pleased to see that my assumptions were right, Daryl took Merle's death like a grown up, and didn't hold it against Rick or the group. So happy he won't be pulling away too much.

I didn't really fault Carl for what he did. I didn't think it means he is a psycho or something. Sure, the kid maybe wasn't a threat like Randall was...but almost every time they have taken risks like that they've payed dearly for it.

So Rick got his conscience back, and therefore got over seeing Lori. Seeing her was at least partially rooted in him feeling like he was doing the wrong thing, and doing it anyway. When he quit going against his conscience, he quit seeing her. Interesting how he is warming back up again, while Carl is growing colder. I hope Rick doesn't lose his death-by-icy-eyes stare though. It's hot. :)

Hmm..I wonder how they are going to proceed with the Governor. Will he try to scrape together some more followers? I'm certain he'll by making another attack on the prison, he'll never let it go until they are dead or he is. Martinez aught to shoot him in the back of the head when he isn't looking. His freak out was pretty spectacular, and a long time coming. That prison attack was fairly horribly planned...what did he expect to find? Them playing hopscotch in the yard? When Rick didn't show up with Michonne, the Guv should have known that they knew exactly what was going to happen and would be ready for them. Hopefully his arrogance will be his downfall.

I'm sad to see Milton go, but proud of him for continuing to stand up to the Guv. If only he had let Andrea kill the Governor...isn't it just so convenient that suddenly walkers always seem to reanimate within minutes? :rolleyes:

Ultimately, the episode was really good, but felt anti climactic for a finale. There wasn't really anything else they could do with all those old people and kids, but I'm not looking forward to a big influx of new characters...bleh. Not to mention, where are they going to get enough supplies for all of them?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!