The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 16 - Welcome To The Tombs - Season Finale Review

rick the governor the jail woodbury the walking dead season 3 season finale

The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale - Welcome To The Tombs (383 )

What is your opinion on the Season 3 Finale?

1. Excellent (85 [22.19%] - )

22.19%

2. Good - Some Critiques (133 [34.73%] - )

34.73%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (102 [26.63%] - )

26.63%

4. Poor (63 [16.45%] - )

16.45%

Will You Be Returning for Season 4?

1. Yes (336 [87.73%] - )

87.73%

2. No (9 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

3. Maybe - I want to see changes (38 [9.92%] - )

9.92%

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
^ Yet Kirkman has said "even Rick could die" even recent. Which I think is stupid, and not really a hook to get me viewing more episodes at all.

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • LocationThe Endless River

I've watched this show all three seasons thus far, and I really want to like it. It has a great premise - post apocalyptic zombie show. Unfortunately, it has just never lived up to its potential, in my opinion.

Rather than having a show that progresses logically from week to week, showing how reasonably intelligent people would handle a situation like this, the writers' preference seems to be to give us a soap opera every week, sort of an "All My Undead Children".

The characters are inconsistent and do not behave in a logical manner. Their behavior lurches all over the map for no apparent reason other than the writers seem to like manipulating their audience. Someone needs to give the writers some lessons in basic writing. You can't just make stuff up solely for the purpose of creating dramatic tension. It has to make sense as well, or else the audience will eventually realize they are being manipulated. That's where I've arrived at, and I'm tired of it.

I don't want to have to watch "The Talking Dead" to figure out why the characters behaved as they did in that episode. It should be explained in the show.

I know I'll offend a lot of people here, and that's not my intention, but frankly I think the writers are terrible and Robert Kirkman is an immature idiot. I haven't read the comics and have no desire to do so. I've paged through a few of them and honestly they look really bad. I think the show could be made much better if they completely ignored the comics and went off in a different direction entirely. Comics or "graphic novels" if you prefer, and television shows are completely different genres and what may work in one, doesn't necessarily work in the other. Several points:

1. Stop setting your stories in a single location. Keep the survivors on the road, moving from place to place, meeting new people and discovering new things. That's when the show works best. They could be collecting supplies on the way, continually adding to their collection of goods and getting stronger and more organized in the process. Get another motor home or two as well as a semi truck and trailer. Put some beds and furniture in the trailer along with all your supplies and you're all set. Find a fuel tanker and you have a mobile gas station. Then head to some other states - show us what lies beyond Georgia for gosh sakes.

2. Stop killing off main characters! It's not "edgy" it's just damned annoying. Just when you start to get to know a character or begin to like them, BAM!, they're gone. I really would have liked to have seen Rick and Lori overcome their problems and get back together. Andrea, too, should have been allowed to rejoin her group. Yes, she could be stupid and annoying at times, but that's the writers' fault, not the character. Fix the character, don't kill them. Dale could have stayed in the show too, he was an interesting character. The only one who really had to go was Shane as he had just become too crazy.

3. End the constant infighting and bickering between characters. It's not "character development" it's just boring and annoying. I want to see them working together, not bitching and whining all the time.

4. Add a little humor and light heartedness to the show occasionally. Not every frame has to be filled with disaster and despair.

5. Somebody please slap Carl! That kid is the most obnoxious character in the show and if he continues that way in the 4th season, I won't be watching. He looks about 12 years old on a good day, and for him to be acting tough and lecturing his dad on how life works is just ridiculous. Also, somebody please rip the fricking sheriff's hat off of Carl's head and give it back to Rick! He's worn it for two seasons now. Enough!

6. Communicate with each other! Half these people's problems could have been solved had they just talked to each other. Why didn't Michonne just tell Andrea that the Governor tried to kill her and that he had taken Glenn and Maggie captive? That would have been the logical thing to do. Oh, but then the writers couldn't have extended the drama and the conflict between the two camps. Lazy writing. It made no sense and it made Andrea and Michonne both look like idiots.

There are several more suggestions I could make but this post is way too long as it is. I'm not sure if I'll be back next season and a couple of other people I know have already dropped out. Unless the writing improves markedly in season 4, I may just have to ditch The Walking Dead.

Great Post, especially numbers 1 and 2.

I think the writers use the killing off of main/original characters as "shock value" simply because they no longer have a way of delivering that extra punch when they want it. And just because Kirkman wrote the comic and knows TWD world better than anyone else does not mean this necessarily translates into him being perfect for the TV show. In most major movies they take a novel and write a screenplay from it in order for it to work as a movie. Rarely is the author of the book involved with the screenplay. That should tell you something.

The cost to produce the comic is peanuts compared to the TV show and the comic has a limited fan base compared to the TV show and Kirkman can do whatever he likes there as it is totally his baby. And from the comments on this site by fans of the comic, it seems Kirkman can do no wrong. I understand that, but it does not work that way in TV Land. His comic world has no where near the cost of the TV show and I would assume has a very small hard core fan base that in their eyes Kirkman can do no wrong.

Oh and they can kill Carl (actually please kill him), I know he is an original but he must go. This character was tolerant in S1, in S2 I hated him and I began to like him a little in the first few episodes of S3, but now they have him acting in a totally unbelievable way. And please don't tell it is because he is growing up in the ZA. That is just an excuse for poor writing.

Logan

259e5p1.jpg

8-Ball

8-Ball

Lurker

• Members

Her point lol, but yes. This is his story.

her point noted

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

^ Yet Kirkman has said "even Rick could die" even recent. Which I think is stupid, and not really a hook to get me viewing more episodes at all.

I am a huge fan of his writing, but the more interviews I see with him discussing the show, the more I dislike him as a person. I get that many love his trolling style, but it is irritating and grating to me.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

I am a huge fan of his writing, but the more interviews I see with him discussing the show, the more I dislike him as a person. I get that many love his trolling style, but it is irritating and grating to me.

I feel the exact same way. I use the term "dick" as an adjective a lot in conjuction with Kirkman's name.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
Watched the finale back a few times - kind of warmed to it as an episode, but still a weak finale. Pretty sure they just killed Andrea because they needed something to happen because it is the finale. The prison parts were the weakest this episode.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I used to be a huge fan of his writing, but the more I hear him talk and the more I learn about what goes on behind-the-scenes of the show, the less I like all things Robert Kirkman.

And I don't like how he seems to wield so much control over the television show.

He knows what goes on in the writer's room and I think he's even been in it, involved in discussions

I don't think that happens with any other comic book writers, at least not to this degree.

With other comic writers, they're basically told "Here's a ridiculous some of money for your intellectual property, now get lost."

And there's a good reason for that, and that reason is that comic book writers, novelists, etc. know nothing about making television and/ or movies.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
I'm pretty fond of Kirkman to be honest and I think him trolling is warranted, the producers on the other hand, do not. I'm sure my opinion will change if he kills off people I like.

Sweetsister

Sweetsister

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada
Andrea's "speech" at the end did she really think she could save everyone including TG (its a ZA people die), was he even worth saving after what she knew he had done to Glen, Maggie, Merle Darryl...did not make seen I always wondered about her loyalty. She was wit Ricks group 1 and a half years if not more, she was with Michonne about 7 months. How long was she in Wood bury Andrea's first days were with Michonne, then TG and Milton. I diddnt buy her closeness to the other residents, sure it could have been off screen but I don't buy it. This is why I think her choice to pick Wood bury over the old gang ridiculous and her final reason "diddnt want anyone to die" she let Michonne go off on her own, and rather than stay at the prison to assist her outnumbered friends, she went back to Wood bury I think it was a lame explanation for her behavior that led to a useless death.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

. I didnt buy her closeness to the other residents, sure it could have been off screen but I don't buy it.

It's not about her or her closeness to the people in Woodbury.

It was about something much, much bigger.

Did you see Woodbury?

Did you?

It had electricity,

It had infrastructure.

There were children there.

And as far as she knew, was the last place on earth that had any semblance of a functional, civil society.

As Jenner said, the Zombie apocalypse is an 'extinction event.' The human race is literally being threatened with extinction.

It had nothing to do with her personal attachment to any one particular group. It was more about her concern fo the survival of the human race.

The Woodbury group and the prison group combined total less than 100 people, and as far as she knows, they are the last people on earth.

And you can't understand why she "didn't want anyone to die?"

Why is it so hard to understand?

Woodbury and the prison group might be literally all that remains of the human race. When the total population of the earth is less than 100, then yeah, every life becomes important. Why is this so hard to understand?

I'm sick people talking about how her concern for the people of Woodbury makes no sense. Viewed in the proper context, it makes total sense.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
^ I've thought it seems a bit disconcerting people think Merle's death was sadder, considering he had a gun to Tdogs head, called him a N, and spat on him - and fail to see what Andrea was attempting, tbh. Andrea was quick to jump on the action bandwagon in season 2 to protect the group and she popped Daryl at the side of the head (people still glad she died for that reason, despite again, what Melre did and said about Tdog (he also wished he had a slow painful death when he heard from Glenn he died). This season she was trying to not make brash actions and hoping for the best without murdering.

To be honest, I didn't buy the "tried to save the Gov" bit for the sole reason that actually, after she saw the heads, she wasn't that close to the Gov. She was wanting to see the prison group and only stayed for the favour of the Woodbury people which he kind of manipulated for her to have to do. She was paranoid when he vanished in "Home" and visibley worried he was going to the prison in secret. She went against his orders and went herself after, returned and didn't have the courage to murder a living human - and then for Woodbury and Prison's sake tried a treaty. After that she saw th Gov had no intention of peace and realised he needed to be dead. Even with a gun the idea of shooting the Gov (a living human) was making her hands shake like a nervous wreck, so I am not surprised knifing someone in their sleep was not something she could feel comfy with.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!