The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 16 - Welcome To The Tombs - Season Finale Review

rick the governor the jail woodbury the walking dead season 3 season finale

The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale - Welcome To The Tombs (383 )

What is your opinion on the Season 3 Finale?

1. Excellent (85 [22.19%] - )

22.19%

2. Good - Some Critiques (133 [34.73%] - )

34.73%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (102 [26.63%] - )

26.63%

4. Poor (63 [16.45%] - )

16.45%

Will You Be Returning for Season 4?

1. Yes (336 [87.73%] - )

87.73%

2. No (9 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

3. Maybe - I want to see changes (38 [9.92%] - )

9.92%

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Sounded to me like Andrea's hollow skull hitting the floor. Slightly metallic due to the iron tablets she's been chewing recently. And as for Rick's revolver, we can plainly see him enjoining Michonne to take care of that once Andrea has ensured she doesn't come back snapping.

EDIT: Obviously our telly has nothing so fancy as surround sound, and the two tin cans that formulate Mrs C's speakers were vibrating hugely from the grenade launcher earlier in the episode and so all of the above is just another case of me speculating.

EDIT EDIT: That is speculating not anything else your fevered minds are telling you.

Are you sure it wasn't a can of soup in a sock bouncing around? :mellow:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

daryl dixon FC

daryl dixon FC

Infected

• Members
Hi everyone
sorry to start with a rant but everybody has missed the most important thing, daryl didnt get to kill anything all episode

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Hi everyone
sorry to start with a rant but everybody has missed the most important thing, daryl didnt get to kill anything all episode

Haha it's not a rant don't worry you haven't seen one of those yet. Welcome to the forum :P

Daryl has had plenty of kills

I was excited to see Carol and Beth get some kills .

Herschel has yet to get any kills for a while :(

daryl dixon FC

daryl dixon FC

Infected

• Members
how did that gate survive becouse the prision had been breached

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla

how did that gate survive becouse the prision had been breached

The gate was down, unhinged. They managed to use it again, probably with some chains on one side.
Make love not war!

daryl dixon FC

daryl dixon FC

Infected

• Members
at the same time as tg was having a scooby do moment" i would have got away with it except for those pesky kids"

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Herchel used up alot of his karma on the s2finale. Hes gotta lay low to recharge his infinate ammo battery.

Haha it's not a rant don't worry you haven't seen one of those yet. Welcome to the forum :P

Daryl has had plenty of kills

I was excited to see Carol and Beth get some kills .

Herschel has yet to get any kills for a while :(

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Herchel used up alot of his karma on the s2finale. Hes gotta lay low to recharge his infinate ammo battery.

Hahaha :P I want to see the seniors and Herschel fight zombies next season :P

I do have to correct myself he did kill a few zombies in episode 10

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I hope all them old people die off quick and not have to deal with episodes of Betty needs medicine let's make a run or were running out of food what do we do? That is my biggest question. What will happen with them?

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
Matt take a stroll over to my arthritis granny / seniors thread to post what you feel about the elderly at the prison :) seriously I made a thread called arthritis granny

daryl dixon FC

daryl dixon FC

Infected

• Members
Rick is goin to use them as bait to lure walkers in then book them for loitering etc then lock them up he has a whole prision to lock them in

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area
No one has mentioned yet just HOW HOT Maggie was in that riot gear!!!!!!!!!!!! She can subdue me anytime!

However it was not a good episode, IMHO. Milton turning on the Gov was so predicted and out of character for him (he would more likely be the conscientious objector who would drop the knife and say "then I won't leave" even after the whooping The Gov gave him). Merle's end was done so well, this was hurried, although salvaged a bit by the Gov's line as he's leaving.

I thought he was working over Andrea in the opening too, it was anticlimactic after everything else to see her a little bloodied in the chair but otherwise untouched in any way. I have no desire to see someone treated the way the Gov's tools implied, but she didn't even need to pee that whole time?! Maybe they let her up for that because she was an attorney and they worried about her civil rights or something. After how Glenn and Maggie were treated, and how the Gov talked about Michonne and handled Merle, I expected MUCH worse for Andrea.

Interesting how the Gov handled Tyreese saying he was out of the killing. I suspect Tyreese would have been killed if the rest of the town wasn't watching.

LOVED the Shock and Awe in the prison corridors, protecting the others by removing them from the prison and going to Woodbury to counter attack. If you think about making the prison not worth the fight, you scare the beejesus out of the untrained people who think they're coming to kill dangerous people, without killing them purposefully (did anyone do a headcount? I suspect the Walkers in the catacombs found at least one or two). You've told them they don't want to do this, and made them feel lucky to escape, not vengeful because friends have died. Then you launch a puny attack at Woodbury to send a message to all those people...if your defenders attack us...if they ever leave we'll be ready to get you. The average stay behind has zero knowledge of what's going on, to them a few guns firing around the area would be interpreted as a full scale assault. Immediate pressure on the Gov to stop.

Milton's question to the Gov about his daughter exemplifies the Star Trek/Captain Kirk morality story Milton would be thinking...but the Gov has already been there and has his answer.

I saw the Gov shooting one/maybe two objectors to corral his sheep to the prison for another assault, but I think his mind just closed when he realized these people believed in Andrea's kind of Woodbury, and were not believing in him. No one was ready for him to open up, so they panicked and ran when it started. I can also see the Gov's flunkeys sticking with him while trying to figure out the change their world had taken. I also think it could be taken for granted that the Gov could never return to Woodbury, and that with so much lost both in him and the town there was no reason for him to in his mind. I think he knew what's-her-name was in that body pile, he just thought she was dead and in Merle/Milton form he decided to let her reanimate as a punishment for being a traitor...he then did that for the rest.

I disagree with Herschel, I don't think Carl was firing in cold blood. That teen wasn't dropping his piece, he was playing along and looking for a weakness. Maybe as a way to escape and not kill, but he reminded me a lot of Randall too. Carl took the shot, right or wrong. It exposed what he's becoming to Rick and Herschel, who then had to decide if that's proper. He didn't kill a helpless person, he killed a person who was trying to look helpless, and there is a difference. look into his eyes as he studies Carl and the others, you don't see fear or helplessness in them after the first heartbeat.

Sorry about Andrea, she acknowledged being true to what she was as a regret, which was cool, and stayed believing in Milton's humanity as he was dying too long to remember how fast that spark leaves. I was half expected a deux ex machina ending there, as much as I regret the loss of the character to the series at least some inexplicable bail out didn't come. I would almost have preferred the still-tied up version people have mentioned here, so much more could have been conveyed by the actress in those moments, without having to show the actual death footage.

Overall though it was choppy and without good editing or speed. despite the cool things I found to like it was just not a good episode, and certainly not a season finale caliber one.
"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

shanesghost

shanesghost

Infected

• Members
Finale = extremely weak. No closure, nonsensical events, terrible writing, no suspense after Woodbury fleed from the prison (that should have been the time to eliminate all of them, or as many as possible).

Only decent part was Carl telling Rick that he was basically a punk bitch and he didn't want to be like him.

Blackwood Lurker

Blackwood Lurker

Infected

• Members
  • LocationOregon USA
I've watched this show all three seasons thus far, and I really want to like it. It has a great premise - post apocalyptic zombie show. Unfortunately, it has just never lived up to its potential, in my opinion.

Rather than having a show that progresses logically from week to week, showing how reasonably intelligent people would handle a situation like this, the writers' preference seems to be to give us a soap opera every week, sort of an "All My Undead Children".

The characters are inconsistent and do not behave in a logical manner. Their behavior lurches all over the map for no apparent reason other than the writers seem to like manipulating their audience. Someone needs to give the writers some lessons in basic writing. You can't just make stuff up solely for the purpose of creating dramatic tension. It has to make sense as well, or else the audience will eventually realize they are being manipulated. That's where I've arrived at, and I'm tired of it.

I don't want to have to watch "The Talking Dead" to figure out why the characters behaved as they did in that episode. It should be explained in the show.

I know I'll offend a lot of people here, and that's not my intention, but frankly I think the writers are terrible and Robert Kirkman is an immature idiot. I haven't read the comics and have no desire to do so. I've paged through a few of them and honestly they look really bad. I think the show could be made much better if they completely ignored the comics and went off in a different direction entirely. Comics or "graphic novels" if you prefer, and television shows are completely different genres and what may work in one, doesn't necessarily work in the other. Several points:

1. Stop setting your stories in a single location. Keep the survivors on the road, moving from place to place, meeting new people and discovering new things. That's when the show works best. They could be collecting supplies on the way, continually adding to their collection of goods and getting stronger and more organized in the process. Get another motor home or two as well as a semi truck and trailer. Put some beds and furniture in the trailer along with all your supplies and you're all set. Find a fuel tanker and you have a mobile gas station. Then head to some other states - show us what lies beyond Georgia for gosh sakes.

2. Stop killing off main characters! It's not "edgy" it's just damned annoying. Just when you start to get to know a character or begin to like them, BAM!, they're gone. I really would have liked to have seen Rick and Lori overcome their problems and get back together. Andrea, too, should have been allowed to rejoin her group. Yes, she could be stupid and annoying at times, but that's the writers' fault, not the character. Fix the character, don't kill them. Dale could have stayed in the show too, he was an interesting character. The only one who really had to go was Shane as he had just become too crazy.

3. End the constant infighting and bickering between characters. It's not "character development" it's just boring and annoying. I want to see them working together, not bitching and whining all the time.

4. Add a little humor and light heartedness to the show occasionally. Not every frame has to be filled with disaster and despair.

5. Somebody please slap Carl! That kid is the most obnoxious character in the show and if he continues that way in the 4th season, I won't be watching. He looks about 12 years old on a good day, and for him to be acting tough and lecturing his dad on how life works is just ridiculous. Also, somebody please rip the fricking sheriff's hat off of Carl's head and give it back to Rick! He's worn it for two seasons now. Enough!

6. Communicate with each other! Half these people's problems could have been solved had they just talked to each other. Why didn't Michonne just tell Andrea that the Governor tried to kill her and that he had taken Glenn and Maggie captive? That would have been the logical thing to do. Oh, but then the writers couldn't have extended the drama and the conflict between the two camps. Lazy writing. It made no sense and it made Andrea and Michonne both look like idiots.

There are several more suggestions I could make but this post is way too long as it is. I'm not sure if I'll be back next season and a couple of other people I know have already dropped out. Unless the writing improves markedly in season 4, I may just have to ditch The Walking Dead.

Ebusus

Ebusus

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationUndead Island
Terrible ending. I can not understand how such a crap finale could have even been written. Happy end in the prison with all the civis of Woodbury. They left a hitchiker to rott for the lulz but then take in people who´s family members you have killed in the last weeks. The whole thing just reeks.

DaughterOfTheDead

DaughterOfTheDead

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNorth Carolina
I just found this site and looks awesome! Bummed the season is over but hope this site doesn't die til October lol Some great comments tho!
That last ep. was kinda lame compared to last season! I didn't always care for Andrea (still not over her shooting at Daryl!) but I was sad to see her go. She's family! And...the zombies need to be more a part of the show again instead of being background scenery! Overall, it was a good season.

Looking forward to checking out all the threads here (is there an intro thread??) and joining you guys :)

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

I just found this site and looks awesome! Bummed the season is over but hope this site doesn't die til October lol Some great comments tho!
That last ep. was kinda lame compared to last season! I didn't always care for Andrea (still not over her shooting at Daryl!) but I was sad to see her go. She's family! And...the zombies need to be more a part of the show again instead of being background scenery! Overall, it was a good season.

Looking forward to checking out all the threads here (is there an intro thread??) and joining you guys :)

Welcome :) come over to the dead room that's basically where we get to know eachother more as people rather than fans.

ZombieDoubleRainbow

ZombieDoubleRainbow

Infected

• Members
I'm sorry but not killing main characters is so unrealistic. People die at the end of the world. Period. The fact it gets you mad shows how invested you are. It's Rick's story so he's the only person who HAS to stay alive. I feel like leaving the hitchhiker but taking in the WB people shows that Rick's on the path to a semblance of his old self.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I'm sorry but not killing main characters is so unrealistic. People die at the end of the world. Period. The fact it gets you mad shows how invested you are. It's Rick's story so he's the only person who HAS to stay alive. I feel like leaving the hitchhiker but taking in the WB people shows that Rick's on the path to a semblance of his old self.

Using your logic, not killing Rick is unrealistic.

The only "realistic" thing would be to have an ever-changing group of characters with no central character at all because everyone gets killed.

Of course that would be total shit from a storytelling point of view, which is why "realism" doesn't necessarily make for good storytelling.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

8-Ball

8-Ball

Lurker

• Members

The only "realistic" thing would be to have an ever-changing group of characters with no central character at all because everyone gets killed.

Of course that would be total shit from a storytelling point of view, which is why "realism" doesn't necessarily make for good storytelling.

you missed his point though. This is Rick's story. Obviously not solely, but Rick is who we begin with at the start of this apocalypse.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
One question. Was that Andrea's grave at the end?

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN

One question. Was that Andrea's grave at the end?

No. I think it was Loris. Well one of the 3 that was dug for Lori, Tdawg, and Carol from earlier in S3.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
Yeah it was Lori's grave. It features at the start of the episode too.

In all honesty, the more I watch the finale's final few scenes the more I like it. Yeah I wish we didn't lose Andrea at all. Still a big mistake to me they killed her, however as times passing now and I've been rewatching season 3 again (especially Woodbury arc), in a sense I find the finale end scene to be really sad and sweet at the same time.

But seeing that shot of the field/prison with the sun shining fade on with the piano starting and seeing Andrea's body arrive "home" on the back of the truck after just seeing her locked away in that dark room is comforting in away, to see her return home with her family.

And I liked the little bookended concept, of seeing the field as walkers roam/the grave - in a way despite what has happened in the episode, the worlds still the same, walkers roaming about, people dying, but Andrea she tried to make a difference but lost her life. Think its quite sad, but there is a little hope, as Rick's starting to gain focus again and following Andrea and Lori's memories.

ZombieDoubleRainbow

ZombieDoubleRainbow

Infected

• Members

You missed my point. The show is HIS story. So yeah, Rick can die, but it ends the show.

ZombieDoubleRainbow

ZombieDoubleRainbow

Infected

• Members

you missed his point though. This is Rick's story. Obviously not solely, but Rick is who we begin with at the start of this apocalypse.

Her point lol, but yes. This is his story.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!