The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 16 - Welcome To The Tombs - Season Finale Review

rick the governor the jail woodbury the walking dead season 3 season finale

The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale - Welcome To The Tombs (383 )

What is your opinion on the Season 3 Finale?

1. Excellent (85 [22.19%] - )

22.19%

2. Good - Some Critiques (133 [34.73%] - )

34.73%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (102 [26.63%] - )

26.63%

4. Poor (63 [16.45%] - )

16.45%

Will You Be Returning for Season 4?

1. Yes (336 [87.73%] - )

87.73%

2. No (9 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

3. Maybe - I want to see changes (38 [9.92%] - )

9.92%

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members
Gotta love when people "think" they found something.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

The sound was too low pitch for it to be a shell-casing. A shell casing hitting concrete floor will typically bounce a few times, creating multiple high pitch "ping" sounds. The sound we heard was a single thud of a heavy metallic item (a revolver) hitting the floor.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. The sound of metal hitting the floor was 100% absolutely, undeniably, and guaranteed to be the revolver hitting the floor after her shot.

WalkersVsRoamers

WalkersVsRoamers

Infected

• Members
Carl's execution of Jody seems like a play of the graphic novel in which he secretly gunned down... A character who is not in the show. ;)

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
This finale and the S2 finale might have seemed a little flat because in the previous episodes they had killed off Merle and Shane in season 2, both very dominant and scene-stealing characters.

_Shrike_

_Shrike_

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationa creepy basement

Carl's execution of Jody seems like a play of the graphic novel in which he secretly gunned down... A character who is not in the show. ;)

It may be. Sure the transformation of Carl into a boy soldier is a pivotal part of the post-prison in the comics, and is definitely something I'm looking forward in Season 4.

biterbabe

biterbabe

Infected

• Members
I listened to the suicide scene again (a few times) and I still think that's a shell casing. Think of it this way, a casing weighs a gram or two, basically next to nothing. That gun was huge and had to weigh at least 5 pounds. The sound is more of a "tink" that the casing would make and not a "thunk" that a heavy gun would make. There is no way that sound is the sound of a gun hitting the floor, it's simply not low enough in pitch. Not even if it was still in her hand. If it was the gun it would sound more like a metal brick hitting the floor.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I welcome any other thoughts about it. Mine hasn't changed tho.

I DON'T apprecieate smart ass remarks, Steady Eddy. If you can't participate in a discussion with at least a bit of intellegence and class then say out of mine.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I listened to the suicide scene again (a few times) and I still think that's a shell casing. Think of it this way, a casing weighs a gram or two, basically next to nothing. That gun was huge and had to weigh at least 5 pounds. The sound is more of a "tink" that the casing would make and not a "thunk" that a heavy gun would make. There is no way that sound is the sound of a gun hitting the floor, it's simply not low enough in pitch. Not even if it was still in her hand. If it was the gun it would sound more like a metal brick hitting the floor.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I welcome any other thoughts about it. Mine hasn't changed tho.

I DON'T apprecieate smart ass remarks, Steady Eddy. If you can't participate in a discussion with at least a bit of intellegence and class then say out of mine.

Well, with all respect, you're wrong on this one. The sound is a terrible thing to judge, because any number of factors could affect how the gun sounded when it hit the floor (how tight her grip was when it fell; if only the tip of the barrel actually touched the ground; what angle it hit the floor at). The only thing that makes sense here is for it to be the gun. Maybe you're right and the sound guys pulled the wrong sound file, but it was clearly intended to be the pistol hitting the floor.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members
My opinion on the episode is changing now the shock as gone. I still wish Andrea was with us but I still found her scenes in the torture room tense and very sad. I think it could be one of the darkest episodes so far. Sad to think of her out in the sunshine in Atlanta/on the farm all free....then she is confined to a chair in a dark torture room locked in with a walker which ends her life bascially.

The battle wasnt great but I think this is the failed attempt and he will return for the proper attack season 4.

DanDan

DanDan

Infected

• Members
I ALMOST CRIED

The best site to buy games online - G2A - Cheaper than steam

G2A coupon page with many sales https://www.g2a.com/r/salecoupons - enjoy !

biterbabe

biterbabe

Infected

• Members

Well, with all respect, you're wrong on this one. The sound is a terrible thing to judge, because any number of factors could affect how the gun sounded when it hit the floor (how tight her grip was when it fell; if only the tip of the barrel actually touched the ground; what angle it hit the floor at). The only thing that makes sense here is for it to be the gun. Maybe you're right and the sound guys pulled the wrong sound file, but it was clearly intended to be the pistol hitting the floor.

I respect your opinion but I just played in suround sound, much louder than I normally would, and it's obviously the "TINK, fading tink, roll" sound of a hollow cartridge. It makes no sense that a heavy steel gun could ever make that particular sound no matter what part hit the concrete or at what angle. I honestly think the sound guys goofed up. Maybe they meant for it to sound like the gun hit the floor but they played the wrong sound bit if they did.

Can we get someone else to listen and give an opinion? Anybody?

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

I respect your opinion but I just played in suround sound, much louder than I normally would, and it's obviously the "TINK, fading tink, roll" sound of a hollow cartridge. It makes no sense that a heavy steel gun could ever make that particular sound no matter what part hit the concrete or at what angle. I honestly think the sound guys goofed up. Maybe they meant for it to sound like the gun hit the floor but they played the wrong sound bit if they did.

I'll say it sounded like an empty cartridge case hitting a concrete floor. However if you sat me down in court and asked me if I was sure that's what the sound was and not the muzzle, hammer, or sight of the Python bumping the corrugated metal wall as the weapon dropped, I would have to say no. I could even say it could have been the hilt of Michonne's katana bumping the wall as she moved. The metal walls of the room would open up a whole can of worms. Sorry, but probably not certainly is the best I can do. I'd be the first one to say sound effects are often wrong though.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Plus there wasn't even a small flash seen from under the door. Granted I don't know much about firearms but I'd think in a semi dark room u'd get some kind of flash.

Oh no, a .357 has almost no muzzle flash. :lol:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members

My opinion on the episode is changing now the shock as gone. I still wish Andrea was with us but I still found her scenes in the torture room tense and very sad. I think it could be one of the darkest episodes so far. Sad to think of her out in the sunshine in Atlanta/on the farm all free....then she is confined to a chair in a dark torture room locked in with a walker which ends her life bascially.

The battle wasnt great but I think this is the failed attempt and he will return for the proper attack season 4.

Um, him and whose army?

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members

Wow. That was the season finale? I have to admit I am disappointed. Things seemed to be so drawn out and then given little conclusion. I was shocked when the Gov and his men fled from the prison. They were armed to the eyeballs and clearly outnumbered Glen and Maggie (who seemed to be the only two firing shots?).

Yea, funniest retreat scene since The Holy Grail's "Run away! Run away!" And expected to hear "I Am Ironman" playing behind Maggie and Glen

I'll be back for next season but right now I'm not in any particular hurry to rush out and buy this one on DVD.

One of the few times, and certainly the only finale, that I couldn't be bothered to watch on repeat.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
At first I was really disappointed in the finale too, but I watched it again and my opinion changed. I still don't feel like it felt like a finale episode, but it was still good.

Andrea dying was still gut wrenching. :( I'm still not happy about that, I had always liked her and was hoping for some redemption for how they wrote her this season.

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members

At first I was really disappointed in the finale too, but I watched it again and my opinion changed. I still don't feel like it felt like a finale episode, but it was still good.

Andrea dying was still gut wrenching. :( I'm still not happy about that, I had always liked her and was hoping for some redemption for how they wrote her this season.

Thats how I feel,on every point. I think if you take in to consideration this could be the Gov's first proper attack which failed, and he may have a real attack in season 4, it can help redeem the episode.

I am sure Andrea just had to die because they could't think of anything worth while for a finale and needed something big!

Michonne's Sword

Michonne's Sword

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationAbington, Pa

Actually, biterbabe may be right. I went back and listened to it again on super loud with headphones on. The loud sound you hear about 1 or 1.5 seconds after the shot is clearly the gun hitting the ground, but immediately after the shot (before the gun hits the ground) you do hear a few high pitched ping sounds (that I didn't notice the first 19 times I watched this scene) that could definitely be a shell casing...it could also be part of the score of the scene, but I don't think it is.

So we're both right?

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I'll say it sounded like an empty cartridge case hitting a concrete floor. However if you sat me down in court and asked me if I was sure that's what the sound was and not the muzzle, hammer, or sight of the Python bumping the corrugated metal wall as the weapon dropped, I would have to say no. I could even say it could have been the hilt of Michonne's katana bumping the wall as she moved. The metal walls of the room would open up a whole can of worms. Sorry, but probably not certainly is the best I can do. I'd be the first one to say sound effects are often wrong though.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Good points here. I went back and listened to it last night, and after the initial "clink" from the gun, there are definitely lighter metal noises being made. When I first watched it, I only heard that initial sound. For my personal suspension of disbelief, I will assume any one of the points you made are true, but it seems the sound guys genuinely flubbed this one.

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest

Thank you for saying not all of them :)

I wanted to echo (as a comic fan) that my critiques of the TV show have nothing to do with the story not following the comic. My complaints are when the TV show is boring or stupid. I don't care if a character is new or acts different, I just want them to act logical and have realistic dialogue.

For most of S03, the writing just didn't make sense (with Clear being an exception). Andrea sitting still talking to Milton was lame and I blame the writing and/or editing and/or directing. SOMEBODY thought it was logical for her to sit and have a conversation, rather than talk while still trying to pick up the pliers. It's lazy storytelling.

I'll watch S04; but my expectations get lower each season.

I also want to say, that this is the most reasonable place to talk about the tv series. There are some places where if you even say you like the show, you are flamed and trolled. It can get ridiculous.

I just want people to be happy and have fun with the show. Well, fun and horror and scares plus all the feels that the writers want us to have.

I agree Andrea wasted time. But other than that I think her story made sense. I'm rewatching the season and really, she was near death when she came to Woodbury. I was so upset that she let Michonne leave but this time I'm just as upset, if not more at Michonne for not giving Andrea just a little more slack. I knew the comic Andrea was a 'bad ass' and I was waiting for tv Andrea to do the same but if I hadn't been, I might have seen her desperation sooner and understood it more. I had said she is the only one who hadn't come to terms with the Fear the Living theme of this season and maybe she didn't. But she was also ahead of the curve in realizing that everyone has to survive, not just Us vs Them.

Maybe that's what I mean, the comic AND the series can both survive? :srug:

WalkerJames

WalkerJames

Roamer

• Members
Oh. My. God.

I am honestly lost for words... I have to say the writers have done one thing. Made me lose half my hair and all my finger nails. Thats was unbelievable. With the Andrea death I was almost crying.

This was the best episode so far in my opinion.

However the stupid show writers killed my 2 favourite characters!

High-tech Redneck

High-tech Redneck

Infected

• Members
  • LocationThe South
New guy here.

The Gov lives????? I'm so tired of him and was looking forward to that storyline ending.

As for Carl...that Woodbury kid didn't look like he was surrendering. He looked an awful lot like Rick handing his gun over to Shane before he pulled out a knife and .... well, you know.

Sounds like a lot of y'all liked Andrea, but I have to say she did not have much discernment. Wanted to die, shot Daryl, joined up with TG over Michonne, and refused to see what was going on in Woodbury. Why didn't she take TG's truck while he was fighting off the walkers?

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorth of the Wall. Seriously. I am 200 yards from it.
Sounded to me like Andrea's hollow skull hitting the floor. Slightly metallic due to the iron tablets she's been chewing recently. And as for Rick's revolver, we can plainly see him enjoining Michonne to take care of that once Andrea has ensured she doesn't come back snapping.

EDIT: Obviously our telly has nothing so fancy as surround sound, and the two tin cans that formulate Mrs C's speakers were vibrating hugely from the grenade launcher earlier in the episode and so all of the above is just another case of me speculating.

EDIT EDIT: That is speculating not anything else your fevered minds are telling you.

Don't Dead Open Inside...

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationColumbia Tn
Ricks revolver would not have ejected the shell casing, unless it was done manually. Not sure why Michonne would go to the trouble.Its on again as I am writing this and I will listen again. I did think it sounded like a shell casing last time I watched it.

edit; Just watched it again. SUre sounded like a shell casing to me.Somebody made a sounds effect mistake.

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members
Kind of sad to think that Carol, Darryl, and Wyatt Twerp are the last three Atlanta survivors.

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members

Kind of sad to think that Carol, Darryl, and Wyatt Twerp are the last three Atlanta survivors.

And Rick! Can't forget him.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
I agree on the shell casing theory. I don't care if it was a mistake but I clearly heard a shell drop and then the gun .

Does anyone find it weird Andrea died almost like Amy. Bit near the neck shot in the head :P

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!