The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 16 - Welcome To The Tombs - Season Finale Review

rick the governor the jail woodbury the walking dead season 3 season finale

The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale - Welcome To The Tombs (383 )

What is your opinion on the Season 3 Finale?

1. Excellent (85 [22.19%] - )

22.19%

2. Good - Some Critiques (133 [34.73%] - )

34.73%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (102 [26.63%] - )

26.63%

4. Poor (63 [16.45%] - )

16.45%

Will You Be Returning for Season 4?

1. Yes (336 [87.73%] - )

87.73%

2. No (9 [2.35%] - )

2.35%

3. Maybe - I want to see changes (38 [9.92%] - )

9.92%

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

the items were in the back of the truck when they left. The only new addition was the wrapped bundle we are to assume is andrea.

Oh. Sorry. My mistake. Good catch! :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Michonne's Sword

Michonne's Sword

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationAbington, Pa

I'm wondering about those Woodbury folks...they've all been brainwashed by the Governor and brainwashing takes a long time to overcome

Even if The Governor did brainwash them to some extent, I'd assume that when Karen informed them about him killing everyone the way he did, his credibility would go right out the window. Karen going back to Woodbury with Rick & Co. gave them credibility and let them gather everyone up to bring back to the prison. I could see Karen becoming a semi-major character who could stabilize the group in some way...possibly as somewhat of a spokesperson for the transplanted Woodburians, love interest for Rick, Daryl or Tyresse or maybe even a mother figure for Carl.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN

Oh. Sorry. My mistake. Good catch! :)

np it happens. =)

You know rethinking andreas arc her choices actually make sense. As mentioned in another thread (thou incorrect) about andreas reaction to killing randall. She changed her mind. If u take 2 extremes that range from shanes pov to early ricks pov. Shane had a very gov view of things...kill or u die. Rick had the we dont kill tue living pov. Ok so andrea was a lawyer prior za so ud assume she defended people as a civil rights lawyer (i think) ok so weve seen her go thru alot from losing amy....wanting to die...becoming distant...becoming a warrior with a very shane mindset....meeting michonne....7ish months in the wilderness ......to finding woodbury and growing from there. Could it be andrea (like rick) changed against who she was and found that part of herself again? She liked the walker fights remember? How would she feel if amy was out there? She changed alot like rick did. For rick his mind gave him "ghosts" of what was as a way back from what he knew was wrong for him. And when he did what he feels is right they stop.

Andreas words of i tried and no one can go it alone has impact. Remember when rick @ dales service spoke of honoring dale? Bringing back the wb people is him honoring andrea. She tried and failed for the most part to save people but now uve got the googy wb normal people core left totally defenceless who never either were able to take up arms or didnt want to like tyress. They were told rick & co were the devil only to be seen what a sham that was.

So for me....her death actually makes sense to move the story aling. Yea it couldve been better but this is the walking dead and thats what our characters are and their trying like hell not to be. Think about it.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

np it happens. =)

You know rethinking andreas arc her choices actually make sense. As mentioned in another thread (thou incorrect) about andreas reaction to killing randall. She changed her mind. If u take 2 extremes that range from shanes pov to early ricks pov. Shane had a very gov view of things...kill or u die. Rick had the we dont kill tue living pov. Ok so andrea was a lawyer prior za so ud assume she defended people as a civil rights lawyer (i think) ok so weve seen her go thru alot from losing amy....wanting to die...becoming distant...becoming a warrior with a very shane mindset....meeting michonne....7ish months in the wilderness ......to finding woodbury and growing from there. Could it be andrea (like rick) changed against who she was and found that part of herself again? She liked the walker fights remember? How would she feel if amy was out there? She changed alot like rick did. For rick his mind gave him "ghosts" of what was as a way back from what he knew was wrong for him. And when he did what he feels is right they stop.

Andreas words of i tried and no one can go it alone has impact. Remember when rick @ dales service spoke of honoring dale? Bringing back the wb people is him honoring andrea. She tried and failed for the most part to save people but now uve got the googy wb normal people core left totally defenceless who never either were able to take up arms or didnt want to like tyress. They were told rick & co were the devil only to be seen what a sham that was.

So for me....her death actually makes sense to move the story aling. Yea it couldve been better but this is the walking dead and thats what our characters are and their trying like hell not to be. Think about it.

I really like your thinking here. Yay! Another person agreeing with me! :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio

A very passionate and battle-tested Andrea/Laurie Holden fan here.

Hell yeah. The leader of Andrea love I am also a current member and voter on the board.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
So true

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Hell yeah. The leader of Andrea love I am also a current member and voter on the board.

Me too. But I think Blasko and Leela deserve the title of president and Vp of the Andrea lover's :)

Its cool though because I'm Vp of the if Beth dies we riot club. Occupation 2 haha

SammyP

SammyP

Infected

• Members

Okay. So I'm going to be extremely un-popular for a while.

I really, really liked it. I feel that Season 3 is about character development and this episode showed us exactly where everyone is.

1) Rick lost his way at the farm and the end of Season 2. He let Shane get into his head and declared the Ricktatorship. All of his guilt about Lori and the journey into crazytown were because Rick had lost his moral compass.

Rick's conversation with Carl was the final block of sanity falling into place. Yes, Rick let Andrew go. Yes, Rick didn't kill the Governer when they were in the meeting alone. Rick made the morally correct choice. If you say that Andrew couldn't have been the cause of Lori and T-dog's deaths, or TG continuing to attack and kill were because of Rick's decision, I believe you are incorrect. Rick let them go because "We don't kill the living." Andrew and TG made the decisions to do what they did. A doctor who saves the life of a boy who grows up to be a serial killer isn't responsible for the choices the killer made. The only choices you are responsible for are your own and if you let someone's potential for evil dictate your choices, you are becoming as evil as they are.

2) Andrea. I believe Andrea's death to be completely in character and representative of the choices she made all season. I'm sorry if the comic readers are angry about her character development in the show, but this isn't the comics. Andrea struggled all during season 2 to find her balance. She never did. She continued to struggle in season 3. She wanted everything to be okay, everyone to be peaceful, to find a way for no one to die and everyone to live. Although she was a badass fighter against walkers, she always hesitated and second-guessed herself against the living. She was cuffed to the chair and even though Milton urged her to hurry, she could not accept the change in Milton from living to walker. She kept hesitating, clinging to the hope that Milton wouldn't die and she wouldn't have to "kill" him. She should have hurried more but again, that's not Andrea's MO. This time it cost her.

3) Milton's death. TG's move against Milton was so amazingly awful. "I said you're not leaving this room until you kill her." Soooo diabolical.

4) TG's shooting of his own people. TG is completely insane. We knew that in the last episode. He no longer cares about the Woodburians at all, except as tools. When his tools were turning against him, he killed them. He didn't go back to Woodbury because he doesn't care about it anymore. As for leaving him alive, he's still a huge threat. Guerrilla warfare can be very effective and that's the kind of campaign he is going to use. As for Martinez and the other guy, yes, they should have killed TG when they had the chance. But they are soliders, the kind that take orders and don't think about it. They were shocked but they will continue to follow him because that is the kind of people they are; they are like the unquestioning German soldiers in WWII who followed orders and hid behind that excuse.

5) Why did Maggie and Glenn not shoot people? It was said in another post that they were just trying to be enough of a pain in the ass to make it not worth it. They weren't trying to kill.

6) Why go back to the prison and not stay in Woodbury? Totally symbolic. Woodbury is TG's creation = evil. The prison is Rick and Co.'s haven = good.

This episode shocked the hell out of me and made me cry. Isn't that what it is supposed to do? We can't be shocked or cry if only good things happen to the people we like or the bad guy meets the predictable bad end at the hands of the noble good guy. If you want those kinds of things, watch old Westerns. The Lone Ranger always captures Black Bart, kisses the girl and rides off into the sunset with Tonto at his side.....

This post = Brilliant!!!
And I cried at the end too, I rarely cry and I didn't even like Andrea that much. It was just so bloody sad.

biterbabe

biterbabe

Infected

• Members
I've been reading these posts for months but this is the first time I've ever posted. I can't believe nobody else caught the blooper at Andrea's death! I've replayed it over and over there is no doubt that they screwed up. Yet nobody else has mentioned it on here (not that I've seen anyway).

What's wrong with this scene?

Rick hands Andrea a revolver.
The door closes.
We hear the gun go bang.
We hear the shell casing hit the floor.

Revolvers don't eject the shell casing! Duh!
The sound effects guys dropped the ball on that one.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

I've been reading these posts for months but this is the first time I've ever posted. I can't believe nobody else caught the blooper at Andrea's death! I've replayed it over and over there is no doubt that they screwed up. Yet nobody else has mentioned it on here (not that I've seen anyway).

The door closes.
We hear the gun go bang.

Welcome to the forum. Nice catch

biterbabe

biterbabe

Infected

• Members
One more thing, Why did Rick bring all those useless old people and kids back to the prison to take care of when he just let a perfectly good able-bodied grown man die a few weeks ago? These new people need to be fed and protected but the guy walking down the road could have been an asset if they hadn't driven off and left him to the walkers (but they did stop to retrieve his supplies from his dead body on the way back!).

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

One more thing, Why did Rick bring all those useless old people and kids back to the prison to take care of when he just let a perfectly good able-bodied grown man die a few weeks ago? These new people need to be fed and protected but the guy walking down the road could have been an asset if they hadn't driven off and left him to the walkers (but they did stop to retrieve his supplies from his dead body on the way back!).

Hi and Welcome to the forum. :)

First, some people think that it wasn't the shell we heard, but the clink of Rick's gun as she died and hand slumped down to the floor.

For the second, Rick had a sea change from that episode with the hitchhiker, to the finale. He realizes that Carl needs more human interaction with others, more humanization. That's part of why he brought everyone back (this is from a interview with Andy Lincoln). Also, the Guv had gunned down everyone, as Karen told Rick, so Rick brought back everyone for their own safety. He took a step back from crazy town to something closer to what he was as a sheriff. Carl throwing his badge down reminded him of what it stood for and what he used to stand for.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Andrea did all she could to protect those people and woodbury. I believe it was in her honor

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Andrea did all she could to protect those people and woodbury. I believe it was in her honor

Yeah, that too. :)

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

Yeah, that too. :)

Sorry steph we answered at the same time almost haha.

Timbersnake

Timbersnake

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationColumbia Tn

I would have to say Rick was in a hurry to get those supplies back to the prison. If there was others with the guy, using him as bait, they would be in trouble and there was lives of folks he knew in the balance needing those guns.He just did not have time to investigate the situation. He also had merle he had to watch when he returned.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
Andrea - "I tried"

Almost a Shakespearean quote

Robert F

Robert F

Infected

• Members

Thank you very much, Robert!! :) Yeah, that's Andrea's body. I have no idea how I missed something as important as this. Either I was too butthurt, or the camera didn't make things clear enough (wouldn't be the first time). The acting (that I was apparently oblivious to!) is what solidifies it.

I missed it too :)

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN

The door closes.
We hear the gun go bang.

Plus there wasn't even a small flash seen from under the door. Granted I don't know much about firearms but I'd think in a semi dark room u'd get some kind of flash. also I had to add the behind the scenes of S2 Better Angels due to Dales death. In a lot of ways it's the same with Andrea. Rick bringing back the people from Woodbury is his way of honoring Andrea. What she was trying to do and to bring closure to the groups.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Plus there wasn't even a small flash seen from under the door. Granted I don't know much about firearms but I'd think in a semi dark room u'd get some kind of flash. also I had to add the behind the scenes of S2 Better Angels due to Dales death. In a lot of ways it's the same with Andrea. Rick bringing back the people from Woodbury is his way of honoring Andrea. What she was trying to do and to bring closure to the groups. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPrdxCnT_Kg

You are killing me with that road trip photo, dude. :lol:
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

BenRai2k

BenRai2k

Roamer

• Members

Andrea - "I tried"

Almost a Shakespearean quote

As much as I hate she died, I love that part. You can tell she means she tried giving life a shot and trying to make something of it after Dale prevented her suicide and not simply that she tried to resolve the war peacefully.

Shane is the Man

Shane is the Man

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
It was an ok episode.
I'm fine with Andrea dying. Mostly because I wasn't a diehard Andrea fan. I think not having her come out unscathed adds some realism to the storyline. That being said, she was a very important character to a lot of people, so you risk alienating a lot of people from the show.
But they killed Shane, and I'm still here, so I have to say when I hear people on the verge of mass suicide because Andrea is gone, I just want to stick out my tongue at them and say "nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doodoo".

I was really emotionally overwhelmed by her death. This was the one time I've crying on the walking dead.

Other aspects of the episode that I did find lackluster was the prison fight. It was just very unbeliabable that after all the prep on both sides it would fizzle out after a few flash grenades were thrown. And that Maggie and Glenn wouldn't actually try to kill anyone and high five each other????? That was crappy writing. It took me right out of the story. They know better and it was just not believable.

The massacre was a good point, though, I could totally see TG doing that.

Yo soy guajiro y carretero, y en el campo vivo bien, porque el campo es el Eden, mas lindo del mundo entero. 

MisterPriz

MisterPriz

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAsheville, NC

I just want to stick out my tongue at them and say "nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head in doodoo"

This. Well said. LOL

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members

Cuz the writers are morons who don't even bother to consider things like "continuity" or "story"? Just a guess.

Michonne's Sword

Michonne's Sword

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationAbington, Pa

We hear the gun go bang.

First, some people think that it wasn't the shell we heard, but the clink of Rick's gun as she died and hand slumped down to the floor.

The sound was too low pitch for it to be a shell-casing. A shell casing hitting concrete floor will typically bounce a few times, creating multiple high pitch "ping" sounds. The sound we heard was a single thud of a heavy metallic item (a revolver) hitting the floor.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!