Walking Dead Show And Comic Vs. Game Of Thrones Show And Book

- - - - - game of thrones walking dead

one_eyed_carl

one_eyed_carl

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNot in the house
I often hear people complaining how walking dead tv show is untrue to the comics. So I was wondering which style people liked better, the walking dead or game of thrones. I would say the walking dead follows the structure of the comic and the overall plot, but has changes to the characters and story line. While game of thrones follows the book quite closely (although I've only read the first book).

Not at all comparing the shows quality, since Game of thrones is on a subscription newtork. Do people like when they basically know whats going to happen when it's adapted to TV, or do they find it more interesting when the show diverges from the source material so that you dont know what is going to happen?

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
Moving to the WD TV Series General forum

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest
I've read all of Martin's books and the series does follow much of the action. One glaring difference is that girl Rob is marrying. I call her Doctor Quinn (as in Medicine Woman) because she's obviously a stab at adding a 'modern woman' into the series. All it does is takes away time and development of true Martin material. It won't change what happens one little bit. I haven't heard anyone really complain about it, but other readers like me must find her character jarring.

My biggest issues with GoT is how it looks. It's ugly. This is supposed to be a Medieval setting with larger than life buildings and natural wonders that are ten times what we see in our world. The armor should be unique and extravagant like the ladies' garments. That's what was described to me and all I see is obvious brass, not gold, ugly dresses and once in a while a weird kind of armor that looks cartoony. All those are subjective so feel free to disagree.

Oh, and they've totally screwed up Daenarys. First of all, Drogo didn't rape her. That part made me cuss. Then her journey was totally messed over with the writers doing what they wanted to do and kinda sorta following the book not really. There is more but /end rant.

I haven't read the comic but I have read comics. I know that the character progression in graphic novels is far more black and white, good vs evil. The tv series has a cast that develop their characters to the nth degree. This influences the writing and sometimes the direction of the story and has made some really special moments. From what I've heard from the unhappy Comic fans they want more zombies, less talk. Kirkman has said both are about what happens to people when everything is taken away from them. I think the Comic fans are thinking this should be a Romero fest, not a character driven drama.

Source material vs the interpretation will never be completely accepted. Just as I've had to do with LotR everyone else will have to do with their personal favorite. Let it go or live in a constant state of frustration. And they should realize that both Kirkman and Martin are involved in the projects. Isn't it their choice to be happy or not?

detartrated

detartrated

Infected

• Banned
Hmmmmm....interesting. And really a good topic if I may add....of course, we can't really outright compare TWD with GoT except for the fact that both are based on a written medium with very "familiar" characters and "moods" based on what we already "know". And, also both shows are on their 3rd Season.

I have read and am continually reading TWD. I have never read GoT on the other hand.

Now having said that....and based on what this topic is all about... I must say so far... I very much LIKE GoT a lot more than TWD (i dunno about the other "comics/book fans" but this is my judgement so far). I guess not having any "pre-conceived" notions about the former (GoT) helped shape this....and this is against a comics series which is one of my favorites of all-time (I guess this worked against it) and Kirkman being one of my favorite comicbook writers.

Finally, and I dunno if this should really be factored in...(with NOT following the original plot vs. following the original)....but TWD is pretty much an "ongoing" series.....Is Game of Thrones also still an ongoing book?!?

PS: Nothing against Kirkman (the dude certainly has all the rights to make money off TWD) --- but I think he should have waited a bit longer --- maybe even finished the TWD series first before "selling out" to tv or movies. With the current "state" of TWD....as a comic book fan of "independent writing"...I now understand why BKV is very "apprehensive" with Y: The Last Man (of course, maybe its just very difficult to cast Amper&and! ^_^ )

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!