Will Daryl Isolate Himself From The Group?

Daryl Merle

At Risk

At Risk

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn a near-constant state of confusion
I'm on the fence about Daryl's deconstruction of Zombie Merle's face... on a first watch, I didn't see it as anger toward him. I thought he was fulfilling the whole obligation about not allowing someone to turn, and to get the stomach to do it, he charged into the action in overkill mode. Destroying the face was kind of like removing the trace of Merle that remained.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I would hope Daryl would be pissed at Rick to some degree, after all it was his plan but he changed his mind (big surprise).

Rick's plan was not for Merle to kidnap Michonne and then assault the Gov at the meeting. Rick never even suggested that Merle do it alone. He specifically asked for him to help the group he was putting together. Daryl may get mad at Rick, but the fault is entirely Merle's.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
I think Daryl will carry some resentment toward the group because some members were slow to accept Merle. Daryl was like a child in a way, going from person to person trying to gain acceptance for Merle. He pretty much knew that Maggie and Glenn would never accept him. But Carol, Hershel, and Rick were coming around to some degree. Even Michonne went into the tombs to clear out walkers with Merle so there was some kind of trust building there (unfortunately for her).

Rick absolutely screwed this up. Not only is Merle now dead (but then so are 8 of TGs men), Daryl is going to be angry and grieving, and Michonne is probably going to be exceedingly distrustful (at the very least) of Rick during this war episode. I hope the writers turn Rick's story around. He grows weaker by the day and it isn't pretty.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

DevilAnse

DevilAnse

Infected

• Members
Good topic!!!

I think initially Daryl will withdraw. But he's going to have Rick, Hershel, and Carol in his corner.
"They Live....
We sleep."

Ceepeebee

Ceepeebee

Lurker

• Members
I personally don't think Daryl will withdraw from the group for one very good reason....he didn't when Merle came back. He could have withdrawn into little brother mode, but he stayed a strong member of the group (slight wander into the woods aside).

I think he'll be tetchy sure....emotional, he'll yes, but not withdrawn.

Mrs. DD

Mrs. DD

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationIndiana
I hope he isolates himself with carol...if ya know what I'm saying... ;)

tumblr_nwtdrwFfAs1uxhwb1o4_250.gif

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

I hope he isolates himself with carol...if ya know what I'm saying... ;)

:o during the finale? Haha they'd get the whole group killed. Judith and Herschel would have to fill in their fighting spots and yeah Judith is a baby haha.

In all reality I'm not sure I like daryl and carol as a couple. Id have to think of it

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I think they have great chemistry together actually. They have bonded for 2 seasons now. Its long overdue for them to get together.

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand
I know. But I'm just not too sure of it because we all know how I feel about Maggie and Glenn. But those are two different people. Now Carol and Daryl have even become more similar because they both lost all family to the ZA

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationWinterfell
I really like the relationship that Daryl & Carol have now, actually. They have similar backgrounds and relate to each other on a deeper level. I don't think I'd like to see them take that to a romantic level, as I feel that it would cheapen the complexity of the bond that they already have. I mean, we know how much they care about each other; I really don't need to see them making out (or more) to intensify that.

Back on topic, I think Daryl may become withdrawn for a bit, but I don't think he'll isolate himself from the group. With Sophia's death it was different. When Sophia went missing, Daryl still felt like the "lone wolf" of the group, and in his mind, finding Sophia was his way of cementing a place for himself in the group. When he failed at that, he figured that he'd lost his chance to integrate with the rest of them. But now, he's become such an integral part of the group -- Rick's right hand man -- and he knows this. He knows how much the group needs him, and vice versa ("You can't do things without people anymore"). I just don't see him pulling away and regressing back to the way he was in season 2.

3VHWYjA.gif

Kneelbeforegod

Kneelbeforegod

Roamer

• Members
isolate himself ? no....check out the Norman redus interview thread.

Austin

Austin

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationGeorgia
I find this strange, but real family has had to kill real family a lot of the times.

Andrea-Amy
Carl-Lori
Daryll-Merle
Morgan-Duane

And some have been like family
Carl-Shane

Mrs. DD

Mrs. DD

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationIndiana

:o during the finale? Haha they'd get the whole group killed. Judith and Herschel would have to fill in their fighting spots and yeah Judith is a baby haha.

In all reality I'm not sure I like daryl and carol as a couple. Id have to think of it

yeah..I picture it as "angry, but glad you're still alive..I have so much pent up emotion" sex.

oh wait..I picture me, not carol...lol..still though, I think Daryl needs some tenderness

tumblr_nwtdrwFfAs1uxhwb1o4_250.gif

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

I'm on the fence about Daryl's deconstruction of Zombie Merle's face... on a first watch, I didn't see it as anger toward him. I thought he was fulfilling the whole obligation about not allowing someone to turn, and to get the stomach to do it, he charged into the action in overkill mode. Destroying the face was kind of like removing the trace of Merle that remained.

I took it as a release of a whole lifetime of emotion--betrayal, resentment, leftover attachments from childhood, frustration at having to deal with all. It reminded me of when Carol smashed Ed's face.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

I find this strange, but real family has had to kill real family a lot of the times.

Andrea-Amy
Carl-Lori
Daryll-Merle
Morgan-Duane

Carl-Shane

In the case of Andrea-Amy and Carl-Lori, they demanded that they be the ones to do it. I look at it like I do putting a dog or horse that I love to sleep... I owe it to them to perform that one last act of love and mercy.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

Andrea-Amy
Carl-Lori
Daryll-Merle
Morgan-Duane

Carl-Shane

Carol-Ed

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Carol-Ed

Oh yeah... he definitely had that one coming! Not mercy at all, there.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
I think that Daryl will not really isolate himself since he told merle that he looked at this group as
family now. we all know that daryl has not really ever had a family group.

also to that point about family having to put down their loved ones
we are not sure of morgan putting down dwayne for sure????

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I think that Daryl will not really isolate himself since he told merle that he looked at this group as
family now. we all know that daryl has not really ever had a family group.

also to that point about family having to put down their loved ones
we are not sure of morgan putting down dwayne for sure????

I think he managed to put Duane down. After all the issues caused by not putting down his wife, I think he would have done it. From a story point, I don't see the need to keep Duane "alive" as a zombie, as that would be the exact same arc his character went through to get where he is.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio

I think he managed to put Duane down. After all the issues caused by not putting down his wife, I think he would have done it. From a story point, I don't see the need to keep Duane "alive" as a zombie, as that would be the exact same arc his character went through to get where he is.

remember from when rick was there with morgan in clear there was some noise coming from another area and
rick didn't get to check it out. It is just one of those little naggy pieces that stick in your "plot mind"

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

I am not convinced Morgan put Duane down because what he wrote on the chalk board was "Duane turned," not "Duane died." When Morgan found Duane and Jenny, Jenny hadn't attacked Duane yet. So, Morgan had time to keep Duane from turning, just like Carl did with Lori. I think Duane turned becausre Morgan couldn't do it. I also think that is why Morgan still considers himself weak--because he couldn't put down either one.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

I am not convinced Morgan put Duane down because what he wrote on the chalk board was "Duane turned," not "Duane died." When Morgan found Duane and Jenny, Jenny hadn't attacked Duane yet. So, Morgan had time to keep Duane from turning, just like Carl did with Lori. I think Duane turned becausre Morgan couldn't do it. I also think that is why Morgan still considers himself weak--because he couldn't put down either one.

Your right. Im not sure if he specified that he killed both of them or even one of them. I think he said something like "I finally did it but it was too late" I think he said this because Jenny bit or ate Duane and he might have killed her after doing so to get her off his son. But your very right he wasn't specific and may not have put down either.

In my guess/speculation I think he put down Jenny and maybe Duane (zombified) walked into a trap or something

Skriptyk

Skriptyk

Infected

• Members
Man, Daryl is Daryl and that's why we love him but I think the character is developed enough that we can't expect him being anything other than part of the group. Everything leading up to Merle turning was beautifully played out. What did he say when Rick told him the Michonne plan was off, "I'm not saying it was the wrong call but this is definitely the right one."

He goes out to stop his brother and tells Rick to get his family ready. I thought that was poignant. Get your family ready, I'll take care of mine. That's not a slap in the face, that's a little bro owning up for big bro. He brought him there, he'll make sure he cleans it up.

I'm pretty sure the Daryl we see in the finale will be going hard as hell for the governor but I doubt he isolates more. If anything he makes sure he doesn't lose anyone else he cares about more than ever, i.e Carol, Rick, little ass kicker.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!