The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 15 - This Sorrowful Life - Review

merle daryl rick the governor

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 15 - This Sorrowful Life (249 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (198 [79.52%])

79.52%

2. Good - Some Critiques (35 [14.06%])

14.06%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (12 [4.82%])

4.82%

4. Poor (4 [1.61%])

1.61%

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Probably because there is a lot of evidence to refute this theory. Merle took Michonne because he knew Rick would change his mind, not because he wanted to save her.

Well I was only speculating

Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

My sense of it is that the governor has branded Merle as a traitor and that Merle knows this. He also knows how the governor deals with traitors.

Did Merle think he could deliver Michonne to the governor and then just walk away? Maybe.

My theory though is that Merle knew the governor would spare no one.

I watched the episode the second time, and when Merle let's her go, he tells her to go back and be ready for what's coming. You can interpret that in different ways.

I interpret it to mean that Merle expects the governor to attack, no matter what he does with Michonne.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

I wonder if Daryl is going to hold a grudge against Rick now, since he was the one who asked Merle to do the "dirty deed" for him?

He didn't ask Merle to do that. He and Daryl were looking for Meryl and Michonne before Daryl went after him. Merle thought Rick would wimp out on turning her over and decided to do it for him as a favor to the group
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas

Did anyone else see the naked walker? Came out if the motel while michonne was tied up and she did put it down also I think. ...
been waiting for a naked walker! Funny how they ended up coming out of a motel room..

Just rewatched that part. No naked walkers. :( The one walker that came out from behind Michonne (that Merle ends up shooting) was shirtless, but wearing green pants. The brass belt buckle and pants are clearly visible just as he stumbles out of the room for a second while the rest of the screentime shows them waist up, so I can see how someone thought we had a birthday suit walker.

Too bad...it woulda been heckuva funny to see naked walker bum cheeks following the car as they drove away. Surely not everyone in the ZA turned with clothes on. I'm really shocked we haven't seen more of that - walkers with bare feet and tighty-whities and so forth. In the pilot at least we had the little girl in a nightshirt, showing that sometimes people were not dressed to the ZA and it hit them on the spot.

With my luck, as much as I wish it would happen when I was all dressed up for a night on the town...if the ZA happens and I turned into a walker it would probably be on laundry day...and I'd be stuck to stumble around in public for eternity wearing granny panties, my husband's socks and an old T-shirt with a bleach stain and hole in it. :rolleyes:

angrysquirrel

angrysquirrel

Infected

• Members
What the....? They bring back Michael Rooker and then kill his character off? Reminds me of when the old man bought it with the zombie digger in episode 2. Just unbelievable. No way Mearle would have gone down like that. Totally unbelievable. Mearle would have found high ground or climbed a tree and started sniping those guys from a distance. On a positive note, I think I saw that he directed this episode? Guy is super talented. Anyway, I'm totally going to miss Mearle / Michael. I was so psyched they brought him back and they friggin killed him off!!! Now I'm pissed again. Oh well. Anyone taking bets on how many seasons this series will go. Judging by corporate greed, it will probably go about 10 years. :)

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
Interesting last minute look into Merle's character. He had killed 16 humans in the ZA but none before and none before he joined the Gov. Not that surprising but his role has been so noxious you got the feeling he was a psychopath, but not so. I have never been closely acquainted with a murderer but I have known quite a few assholes as bad as Merle minus any killings. He definitely gained some redemption.

I don't see Michonne being pissed at Rick. The Gov offered the deal and in the end Rick passed on it. No harm, no foul. Of course he considered it. They are outnumbered and outgunned. It's the Alamo people.

Wonder if Daryl is gonna rescue Andrea since he is in the neighborhood and I wonder if he is going to have a big face off with Martinez along the way. I can't see him getting the Gov kill. It is above his pay grade. :)

Great episode, wouldn't change a thing
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members

What the....? They bring back Michael Rooker and then kill his character off? Reminds me of when the old man bought it with the zombie digger in episode 2. Just unbelievable. No way Mearle would have gone down like that. Totally unbelievable. Mearle would have found high ground or climbed a tree and started sniping those guys from a distance. On a positive note, I think I saw that he directed this episode? Guy is super talented. Anyway, I'm totally going to miss Mearle / Michael. I was so psyched they brought him back and they friggin killed him off!!! Now I'm pissed again. Oh well. Anyone taking bets on how many seasons this series will go. Judging by corporate greed, it will probably go about 10 years. :)

Never bet on more than 5 years for a show without a lot of comic relief.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Never bet on more than 5 years for a show without a lot of comic relief.

You know Major, I never thought I'd say it when they introduced the character, but I'm starting to think Michonne can be a hoot when she wants to be.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Well I was only speculating

Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

My sense of it is that the governor has branded Merle as a traitor and that Merle knows this. He also knows how the governor deals with traitors.

Did Merle think he could deliver Michonne to the governor and then just walk away? Maybe.

Just like Michonne said, "that's a lot of maybes".

My theory though is that Merle knew the governor would spare no one.

I watched the episode the second time, and when Merle let's her go, he tells her to go back and be ready for what's coming. You can interpret that in different ways.

I interpret it to mean that Merle expects the governor to attack, no matter what he does with Michonne.

He did say this, but AFTER he let her go, as you said. Merle also knew that he was about to attempt to take out a bunch of the governor's men, if not the governor, himself, so his comment makes sense in that context, as well.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

With my luck, as much as I wish it would happen when I was all dressed up for a night on the town...if the ZA happens and I turned into a walker it would probably be on laundry day...and I'd be stuck to stumble around in public for eternity wearing granny panties, my husband's socks and an old T-shirt with a bleach stain and hole in it. :rolleyes:

So here's the conversation post ZA Day.

Me: Dang, I know that one!

Them: Which one?

Me: The one in the granny panties and spotty t-shirt.

Them: You recognize her?

Me: The outfit anyway. She used to belong to the same internet forum I did.

Them: Crap, I miss the internet.

Me: Yeah, me too. Anyway, you think I ought to put her down or let her go? I mean she probably wouldn't want to be seen roaming around dressed like that.

What the....? They bring back Michael Rooker and then kill his character off? Reminds me of when the old man bought it with the zombie digger in episode 2. Just unbelievable. No way Mearle would have gone down like that. Totally unbelievable. Mearle would have found high ground or climbed a tree and started sniping those guys from a distance.

Hmmm, that squirrel is angry. :lol:

kxwjZFU.png

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas

So here's the conversation post ZA Day.

Me: Dang, I know that one!

Them: Which one?

Me: The one in the granny panties and spotty t-shirt.

Them: You recognize her?

Me: The outfit anyway. She used to belong to the same internet forum I did.

Them: Crap, I miss the internet.

Me: Yeah, me too. Anyway, you think I ought to put her down or let her go? I mean she probably wouldn't want to be seen roaming around dressed like that.

Oh BWR...if that happens, you have my complete blessing to put me out of my misery. :lol: PLEASE!

At least I'd have some solice in knowing that without the internet, there would be no YouTube vid titled "Zombie lady in granny panties REMIX". B)

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Oh BWR...if that happens, you have my complete blessing to put me out of my misery. :lol: PLEASE!

Well Ma'am consider it it done then, if the situation ever arises. I'll pop you in the punkin' with the old Kalashnikov, wrap you in a clean blanket to give you back a little dignity, carry you to the burn pile myself, and lay you on it with all due respect. None of that being tossed on like a sack of rubbish for you. I might even have to wipe a tear away as I remember you from better times in "Days Gone Bye." :zombiethumbsup: :lol:

kxwjZFU.png

ShaneWalsh

ShaneWalsh

S-mart Employee

• Members
I hope Daryl kill the Guv as a revenge for his brother.

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
If I had to pit down anyone of my forum family I'll go all out rick breakdown. Noooo noooooo!

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members

My problem with Rick thinking he could buy peace with Michonne is somewhat a morality issue. You don't sell out a comrade like that. My main problem is the whole idea was stupid. Believing TG would keep his word and they would all live in peace and harmony was incredibly naive. Rick knows what kind of man TG is.

Merle's plan to attract the walkers to the meeting site and use the sound of Woodbury's gunfire to mask his own shots was nice bit of tactical ingenuity. If that plan had been used during the last meeting or this one with the backing of the whole Prison group, the Woodbury problem could have been solved with one stroke. Merle managed to kill eight of Woodbury's finest on his own. With someone to watch his back, some more shooters, and a few people placed to cut off the Governor's retreat the Woodburians would have gotten their clock cleaned.

I did like the dialogue in this episode. Excellent! Fine acting all around. Carol and Merle. Hershel and his daughters. Merle and Michonne. Like the way Rick is learning to take his hallucinations in stride. Props to Glenn for making the most of the limited shopping opportunities in the ZA. :lol: That's a nice nod to his scrounging abilities in the comics. I give Michonne an A for "utilizes materials wisely." I thought the look she gave Daryl when he asked if she had killed his brother was totally in character. Michonne is one of those people who when asked a question has to decide whether to answer the question or just say "f##k you." I can understand and empathize with that. Daryl and walker Merle was a heartbreaking scene. Rooker has Bernthal beat playing a walker hands down. Walker Shane looked like a goose stepping Nazi from an old newsreel.

Overall I am very pleased with this episode.

I also had a problem with Rick contemplating handing over Michonne. Even with all the shit hes been through, it still seemed out of character. Especially with him being a former cop an therefore should know to never trust someone like that, especially someone whos already attacked your group an killed one of them. I was kinda pissed they wrote Rick out to have him set on handin her over too because i feel like they only wrote that as an excuse to get Merle an Michonne out there (an ultimately lead to Merles demise). IMO, they could have written it better/differently an found some other way to go about it. It was good that he was with Michonne tho, knowing Merle once tried to kill her an he was clearly racist so seeing him let her go, told me alot about the changes Merle chose to make! A few weeks ago, he wouldve killed her an threw a racist one-liner at her while doin it lol

Im glad Rick was quick to say "fuck that! Im not feeding ANYONE to TG for a chance at being left alone!"... After everything thats happened, TG an his town cant ever be trusted an would never allow them to live in peace at the prison!

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest
I voted excellent but I am still thinking about all my feelings and what happened. It's one thing to see the inevitable coming but the reality is far too complicated.

Daryl is taking his responsibility for Merle seriously, telling Rick that he's family, too and then protecting everyone from the consequences of Merle's actions. The Talking Dead's survey showed most people think Daryl will become distant but I'm not so sure. My choice, him breaking down and needing someone, wasn't on the list, I don't think.

I wonder what the Lori haters think about how she actually saved Rick this episode. She was always his touchstone, interesting to see that she still is. This time she wasn't perfect love, she was dressed as he last saw her when they had enough of a moment to spark hope that they could get past their estrangement. He is still the man he was before the ZA and he is that man because of her and their marriage. Having been married a few years I appreciate and love that TWD shows that with an honest portrayal of human weakness and strength.

Loved Michonne's methodical way of pushing Merle's buttons. She can definitely keep her wits under pressure but just as importantly, she saw that Merle's 'racism' is one of the ways he keeps the world at arm's length. Merle is the ultimate button pusher and punk enough to get back up all bloody and beaten more times than makes sense. I'm not sure if she got him to feel something or did she find the right words to make him want to beat the Governor without relying on anyone else?

Merle is a mystery to Merle. Abuse survivors, the ones who rise above it, become pretty good judges of character, looks like. Merle chose Daryl but will he realize that? Or is he too close to the pain to see it? He's pretty steady in letting Rick know that he's against giving up Michonne even though he won't go against Rick. My biggest question about this episode is what the fallout with Daryl will be?

Oh, and loved the Carol / Merle and the Daryl / Glenn scenes. There are enough television shows out there with wisecracks and clever lines but this one with honest dialogue and great acting is the one that sticks with me the most.

And no, I don't overthink this show, I just wallow around in the details. B)

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Worried in what way?

As in they might kill him off?

He's a cool character and all that but if he dies, he dies.

I'm not saying I want him to be killed off (or not).

There seems to be a real fixation with his fate and it seems to be a divisive topic.

There are those who threaten to riot if he is killed off, and those who complain that keeping him alive is "pandering."

I say the writers are gonna do what they're gonna do, and that's the way it should be.

He's a great character, but there's plenty of other characters with tons of potential/ possibilities.

Bottom line: I like where the show's going and I'll keep watching no matter how lives or dies.

Completely agree. And Daryl is my favorite character.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
In reference to DeadPelcins Quote:

Personally, I don't think Merle was ever going to hand over Michonne.

I think he just fixed things so that, by the time the prison group found Michonne, the plan to hand her over to the governor wouldn't be possible anymore.

I know some were quick to dismiss your theory but I have to say it is intriguing. I think your underlying hypothesis is correct. Merle knows delivering Michonne to the Guv would have no affect on the lasting safety of the prison crew. plus IMO Merle respects Michonne and wouldn't pointlessly turn her over for torture.

My question is di you think Merle was going to use the Michonne handoff as some form of diversion to try to kill the Guv? Once he came to the conclusion that he couldn't/wouldn't put Michonne in danger he adopted the idea of replacing her with the walkers as a diversion.

we know Merle has previously been willing ot kill the Guv (arrow in the doorpost) and right before he started talking with carol merle was looking out the window and said something like "he won't do it". apparently provided to indicate ricks unwillingness to hand over Michonne but could have been a thought about Rick's willingness to kill the Guv in "cold blood"

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

When T-Dog finally spoke some lines, they killed him off.

Now that we see Merle's weak side, they killed him off.

Why do my favourite characters get killed off?

But jokes aside, helluva episode. Sad to see Merle bite it (ba-dum-tsss!) but he went out like a boss...at first when I saw him baiting them towards the car I was worried he was simply going to kill himself, but it soon clocked on what was happening, and I chuckled to myself as he began to pull away, waited for them to get close, then went on ahead....you cheeky devil, Merle.

Highlight of the episode was definitely the final scene though - I got the feeling Daryl was both distraught at his brother's death, but also almost relieved, or at least felt he was letting loose a lot of pent up emotion when he was taking out zombie Merle. Really showed the complexity of their relationship - as for when Daryl was sobbing as he just kept pushing Merle away, it seemed to kind of sum them up; Daryl, actually innocent and a broken child at heart vs Merle, a lumbering goon who just upset his little brother and let him down time and time again.

Great episode.

I don't think Merle let him down at all.

If anything, in his final moments Merle redeemed himself and vindicated Daryl's belief that Merle was a good guy under his rough exterior. Daryl was just distraught(as anyone would be) that his brother had to die to prove it.

Not to mention he wasn't only dead, but a walker and that Daryl would have to put him down. But the blame for that doesn't land on Merle but the Governor--who I hope meets his end at Daryl's hands.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members
Alot of people apparently feel Daryl is gonna go into a sort of depression but i disagree! I think it will bring him even closer to the group an i think he is gonna go APE-SHIT on TG an his men! He had a reason to hate the guy an want him dead but now TG killed his brother AND made him a walker!?!?! Shiiiiiiit!!! TG, his men an any zombie in the vicinity better watch the fuck out!!! I think Daryl is gonna be even more badass than he already is!! At least i hope, i dont wanna see another depressed character an the prison group needs Daryl on his A-game now more than ever!!!

Jenners

Jenners

Roamer

• Members
http://www.wetpaint....d-more-photos#1

Ben is #16, so yes he is dead and Merle was munching on him. Check out that picture, a lot of detail.
I love my town; This will not define us. 12/14/12. We choose love.

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas

http://www.wetpaint....d-more-photos#1

Ben is #16, so yes he is dead and Merle was munching on him. Check out that picture, a lot of detail.

A lot of detail indeed. Why does Ben have a pillow roll? Dead bodies don't need pillows. :blink:

Was he alive for a bit and tended to while wounded? Still wondering why he was just left there as Merle chow. :huh:

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

A lot of detail indeed. Why does Ben have a pillow roll? Dead bodies don't need pillows. :blink:

Was he alive for a bit and tended to while wounded? Still wondering why he was just left there as Merle chow. :huh:

I imagen the answer to this question would be something like the following.

a fuming Guv turns to a weeping allen and says "you can stay here and die with your son or come with me and and exact your revenge on the sons of bitches who are responsible"

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas

I imagen the answer to this question would be something like the following.

a fuming Guv turns to a weeping allen and says "you can stay here and die with your son or come with me and and exact your revenge on the sons of bitches who are responsible"

So Allen is going back to Woodbury and go after Tyreese, then? B)

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

Awesome episode imo! I didnt see Merle dying this episode! Crazy shit!!

I see people saying nobody will know what Merle did...but i think they will! Michonne will obviously say he let her go (she told Daryl) an Daryl saw all the Woodbury bodies an that Merle was shot in the chest! I mean it should be pretty obvious to Daryl that Merle had a change of heart, let Michonne go an said "fuck it, im goin to take out as many as these sobs's as I can to help my brother an the group!"

Cant wait for the finale!

Yup

I'm a huge fan of Louis L'Amour, probably the best Western writer ever. I can't help but see comparisons between the Western genre and this series. One thing he explains so well in his novels is how someone (like Daryl) can tell what happened with few clues. I totally think CSI ripped LL off :P Many guys in history have pulled off heroics and while there may not have been anyone there to witness it, a Daryl comes along, or a Michonne. I hope they don't over explain things ever in this show. I like not being talked down to.

I'm still processing this episode. But I'm thinking more and more that Daryl won't withdraw from the group over this. And Michonne's got too much common sense to think Rick would have went through with the prisoner transfer; she sounded like she'd already said as much to Merle when he was talking in the car.

I know I may be alone in this but I loved loved loved the passage Herschel was reading. Every part of it fit their world so well, it was almost as if that passage had been written for the episode. Psalm 91 "
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked."

If that doesn't describe the apocalypse I don't know what could. I wonder who came up with it? I didn't comment on it when Merle finished the Matthew quote but that made a lot of sense for him to have memorized it. I can't think of another literary reference to a dismembered hand other than maybe Captain Blood :P It's a pity he didn't survive.

I also caught the WD bit where they showed Scott Gimple's favor for John Donne's Meditation 17. I suppose it really shows my age that none of these references were foreign to me and that, once upon a time, we actually learned Western culture and literature in America. I still remember bits of Donne from having memorized it long long ago Heck, I can completely 'geek out' to literature but hopefully not be a pompous ass like Diane from Cheers :unsure:

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

I'll have to rewatch to pay attention to what the scripture was about, but I felt like that scene was about Hershel reflecting on his faith and realizing that as much as he would give anything to protect his girls, he wouldn't hand Michonne over for them. Immediately after he finished, he got up and hobbled over to Rick to discuss the situation, and I assumed he was going to reject the Michonne idea.

So to me, it did make sense. Hershel was remembering the kind of man he was and is.

Psalms are mostly prayers and hymns written by King David to God during his life. This one is promising protection in the face of utter devastation. I think Herschel was taking this reference as his authority for confronting Rick over his decision to make him not do it. By reading that with his family he was giving them comfort to strengthen their resolve in facing almost certain death in the coming war.

So yes, he was remembering how he has lived by God's promises and how they still would keep him in his present danger. (I used to teach Sunday School eek!)

And I really gotta learn Multquote...

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!