The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 15 - This Sorrowful Life - Review

merle daryl rick the governor

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 15 - This Sorrowful Life (249 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (198 [79.52%])

79.52%

2. Good - Some Critiques (35 [14.06%])

14.06%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (12 [4.82%])

4.82%

4. Poor (4 [1.61%])

1.61%

Swingin Negan

Swingin Negan

Infected

• Members
  • LocationGlory Hole Theme Park.
Did anyone think Merle was going to cut off one of The Governor's arms during the fight? I had the feeling til he got his arm broken lol.
The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive.

Peacan

Peacan

Infected

• Members
The episode lacked something for me, but it worked. I bawled my eyes out like a baby when Daryl finally came across Merle. It was very well done, even though the whole episode you almost saw it coming - I actually didn't quite buy Merle as a Zombie and I can't put my finger on why. I don't know if it is because his character showed little emotion so the zombie version seemed about the same or what, I can't fathom what it was! I actully forgot for a moment that they turned to Zombies when they died the right way, and was expecting to see Merle being eaten and not the other way round, so maybe that had something to do with it, im not sure.

I see a lot of blame between Daryl and Rick if he makes it through this last ep and continues with the group. I think Daryl is going to take his balls firmly back. He lost his brother once before and this time around he knows its for sure so its game on!

I think Michonne's words to Merle certainly helped, but I think Carol's words to Merle did too - he was finally being accepted but I think he probably just wanted to go do the right thing for his brother, didn't care about anyone else.

I don't know what's coming next week but they need to do something big because I'm bored of the lackluster episodes. Also, I think Michonne has to be the one to save Andrea or the other way round for some kind of resolution between them.

Just deliver me a kick ass ep next week and I'll be happy. This weeks was fair.

Sunshine

Sunshine

Infected

• Members
Ok so I have been a "lurker" on this site for a year or so...my first post, so hi!

Loved this episode! I understand why some ppl are in disbelief about Rick even entertaining the thought of giving up Michonne but I believe it was completely out of desperation.. He's been through so much, finally have a place of somewhat sanctuary and now that's about to be destroyed & he knows they can't win that war. It was believable to me, the way he struggled into his decision.

I also think that process helped him snap out of it, so to speak, realizing what he was allowing the circumstances to turn him into. I thought that was very well done.

As far as Merle is concerned... Someone on YouTube had spoiled that for me, so I already knew he would end up a walker... But Darryl's reaction made me cry! I was not expecting to have that kind of emotional reaction!

And lastly.... About Glenn and Maggie .... Once I saw him give her the ring & her say yes, Hershel giving his blessing, etc.... It made me wonder an alternate way of things playing out bc of what I've read in the comics and wonder if possibly what will end up happening will be
Spoiler
anyone else agree or think of this?

Peacan

Peacan

Infected

• Members

Another thing I noticed (and not in a literal sense) is how Daryl was right when he said the only person who could kill Merle, is Merle. I know it was the Governor who technically killed Merle, but Merle went into this knowing this was a suicide mission, thus meaning Merle killed himself...

In a way though, ultimtely it was Daryl that killed Merle. Ok it was Zombie merle, but it was poetic

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members

Is anyone else worried about Daryl? I am. I mean, I know that he can hold his own in pretty much any situation, but still. He is an emotional wreck because he has just seen his brother as a walker. He is all alone. Zombies have been drawn toward the noise of the fight. He is a pretty good distance from the prison. I'm worried that he might not come back to the prison totally unscathed.

Thoughts?

Daryl is an emotional wreck? Im worried for the walkers, they might just become extinct lol

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

I loved this episode, and I am actually going to miss Merle, never thought that would happen.
Merle was saving the Prison Crew from themselves. He knew that if they turned Michonne over to the Gov that it would not change the outcome. The Governor would not stop until they were all dead, but it wouldn't matter if they made it through. Killing Michonne would destroy Rick, Daryl, and Hershel.
Glenn looked awfully upset that they were going to turn Michonne over.
Merle was surprisingly introspective in this episode. He had real conversation with Rick(I don't know why I do anything), Carol(who told him that he might be a late bloomer), Daryl(tv was having interference from the weather), and then that long trip with Michonne( Merle told her that he had killed 16 men since this began, just the mention of the exact number kinda said that he had not taken the killing lightly)

Guilty secret, I thought that Carol(the new improved version) and Merle (new improved version) had real chemistry. Daryl could use some of Merle's confidence (some I said, not the whole Merle demeanor)

I didn't interpret Merle's actions like that at all. He took Michonne because he knew that Rick wouldn't be able to do the task, but I think Merle was hoping that the plan would actually work ("You gotta play the hand you're delt, and I only got one hand"). Merle never told Rick that the plan wouldn't work - he just said that the governor would torture Michonne, iirc. Merle just got a better (and more moral) idea on the way.

Tvirus

Tvirus

Infected

• Members
  • LocationInside you
Great episode with a lot of meaningful interactions.Especially liked Carol & Merle's moment. Ricks confession to the group and the end of the Ricktatorship. Merle & Michonne. Glenn and Hershel's talk was nice ( I never did like the way Glenn didn't show any appreciation for the pocket watch in S2.). Hershel's reading from psalms was wonderful. I love Scott Wilsons voice. Really gonna miss Merle...RIP. BTW. Anyone else think Daryls been wanting to stab Merle in the face for most of his life?

e1b0gk_th.jpg     eeny,meeny.miny,moe...

Mamaof3Littles

Mamaof3Littles

Infected

• Members
I only have 2 quibbles with this episode:

1) I think Michonne is too smart to go into the tombs with Merle by herself. That seemed VERY out of character.

2) I think that car was too old to have an alarm.. lol

BUT I think Nicotero did an amazing job. The last scene was HEARTBREAKING.

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla
Excellent episode, as the vast majority of you already said.

The Governor chewing Merle's fingers is not "realistic"... who cares? That was a great fight scene! Rushed, messy, and once again showing how merciless the Governor is...

I really feel bad for Merle. And for Daryl. And next week... I don't even want to know... :(
Make love not war!

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
Actually... ever have a cheap steak.. I think it was very realistic to be able to chew through fingers. Sever all the connective tissue and the bones will slide out.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Actually... ever have a cheap steak.. I think it was very realistic to be able to chew through fingers. Sever all the connective tissue and the bones will slide out.

Ok, now I'm almost CERTAIN you must be wearing an eye patch. :smiley-confused002:
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

remmdog

remmdog

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCT
One of my favorite episodes (again Gimble... wow). Ranking scenes for me

1. Rick /Merle Discussion - the lighting on the faces of both of them to show the light and dark inside them... the conflicting personalities. Which is worse going with the flow to do what it takes to survive (merle) without thinking things through or planning or the planning of putting someone's life in a madman's hands to save your own ass (rick). The cold hearted line by Merle just summed it up. I think its what brings Rick to realize his mistake.

2. Michonne/Merle - Part when he pulls the sword, kills the walker and asks why she didnt run... her replying she wants to get the sword first... awesome. Motel scene, awesome...

3. Car Ride - Michonne calmly bringing her point of view to Merle and linking it to the Pre-Zee world, Pre-Governor and TG influenced. The chance to make the prison a home, the change to become the man he wants to be or the one Daryl wants him to be.

4. Walker Merle - classic TWD!

PoleAxe

PoleAxe

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationY da fuq u wanna noes?
Excellent Episode, Merle went out hard and strong, going to miss having him around.

+1 no Andrea...always makes for a good episode.

jerzydirtybird28

jerzydirtybird28

Infected

• Members
Ya know, for a split-second there, as zombie Merle was walking towards Daryl, I almost thought that he might somewhat recognize his little brother.

TheHarshTruth

TheHarshTruth

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTexas
I think the Merle development was wonderfully written.....here's my interpretation:

Merle has always been a "bad seed" living a life of self-destruction beginning from when he was a child growing up abused. He's grown up afraid all his life - and his only escape was to run. Just as he ran from home. (Remember how Daryl felt his brother abandoned him?) Fear caused him to run, and fear caused him to escape through drug use, and anti-social behavior (running away from any possibility of closeness). Fear has ALWAYS consumed Merle.

After the ZA, long after the child abuse, new fear consumes Merle. Walkers...TG....becoming one of "them".....he's afraid of them all.

Rick has his "Do you know why you do what you do/decisions you make" conversation with him. The answer (though Merle doesn't have that epiphony yet: FEAR.)

Carol has her "late bloomer" conversation with him. Merle notices how different Carol is now. Carol admits she used to be meek and weak because of her fear of her husband. Merle says "You aren't afraid of anything now, huh?"..."Nope" says Carol. Merle admires and desires this freedom from fear Carol has found. The epiphony STILL doesn't hit yet.

Later with Michonne...as she's trying to get in his head she successfully hits home with her "Bad guys aren't afraid" speech. Merle finally puts the pieces together. BOOM. Epiphony hits and he cuts Michonne loose. He killed for the Governor because he was afraid. He ran because he was afraid. He took Michonne because he was afraid. Finally he realizes....his fear is controlling him. He then decides to take matters in his own hands and conquer his fears. No more running. No more fear.

Even in the final moments, as he waited for death from TG, he defiantly yells "I'm not going to beg you!". He showed he overcame his fear. His fear of death, TG, of everything....Merle has indeed become a late bloomer - and finally free of the shackles of fear that consumed his own life. For his last moments, he is his own man...and not someone's whipping boy.

Deputy

Deputy

Infected

• Members
When T-Dog finally spoke some lines, they killed him off.

Now that we see Merle's weak side, they killed him off.

Why do my favourite characters get killed off?

But jokes aside, helluva episode. Sad to see Merle bite it (ba-dum-tsss!) but he went out like a boss...at first when I saw him baiting them towards the car I was worried he was simply going to kill himself, but it soon clocked on what was happening, and I chuckled to myself as he began to pull away, waited for them to get close, then went on ahead....you cheeky devil, Merle.

Highlight of the episode was definitely the final scene though - I got the feeling Daryl was both distraught at his brother's death, but also almost relieved, or at least felt he was letting loose a lot of pent up emotion when he was taking out zombie Merle. Really showed the complexity of their relationship - as for when Daryl was sobbing as he just kept pushing Merle away, it seemed to kind of sum them up; Daryl, actually innocent and a broken child at heart vs Merle, a lumbering goon who just upset his little brother and let him down time and time again.

Great episode.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
I must have missed that TG got his arm broken in the fight with merle?
can someone verify that?

AngryKoala

AngryKoala

Infected

• Members
I actually felt bad about Merle and didnt want him to go off by himself and die, it's weird.

Deputy

Deputy

Infected

• Members

can someone verify that?

I think it's the other way around.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

I think the Merle development was wonderfully written.....here's my interpretation:

Merle has always been a "bad seed" living a life of self-destruction beginning from when he was a child growing up abused. He's grown up afraid all his life - and his only escape was to run. Just as he ran from home. (Remember how Daryl felt his brother abandoned him?) Fear caused him to run, and fear caused him to escape through drug use, and anti-social behavior (running away from any possibility of closeness). Fear has ALWAYS consumed Merle.

After the ZA, long after the child abuse, new fear consumes Merle. Walkers...TG....becoming one of "them".....he's afraid of them all.

Rick has his "Do you know why you do what you do/decisions you make" conversation with him. The answer (though Merle doesn't have that epiphony yet: FEAR.)

Carol has her "late bloomer" conversation with him. Merle notices how different Carol is now. Carol admits she used to be meek and weak because of her fear of her husband. Merle says "You aren't afraid of anything now, huh?"..."Nope" says Carol. Merle admires and desires this freedom from fear Carol has found. The epiphony STILL doesn't hit yet.

Later with Michonne...as she's trying to get in his head she successfully hits home with her "Bad guys aren't afraid" speech. Merle finally puts the pieces together. BOOM. Epiphony hits and he cuts Michonne loose. He killed for the Governor because he was afraid. He ran because he was afraid. He took Michonne because he was afraid. Finally he realizes....his fear is controlling him. He then decides to take matters in his own hands and conquer his fears. No more running. No more fear.

Even in the final moments, as he waited for death from TG, he defiantly yells "I'm not going to beg you!". He showed he overcame his fear. His fear of death, TG, of everything....Merle has indeed become a late bloomer - and finally free of the shackles of fear that consumed his own life. For his last moments, he is his own man...and not someone's whipping boy.

I don't agree 100% but I do appreciate the complexity of thought. Excellent analysis. +1, my friend. :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

can someone verify that?

The Gov broke Merle's arm, not vice versa. He pivoted against the thing Merle was on and cracked Ol' Stumpy.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
thanks boy TG is just amazing cartoon character nothing and no one can take him down.

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members

Ya know, for a split-second there, as zombie Merle was walking towards Daryl, I almost thought that he might somewhat recognize his little brother.

Yea as good of an actor Rooker is, he wasnt a very good zombie! Ill have to watch again but, if i recall correctly, he licked his lips (never saw a Z do that) an i swear when he first got up, he seemed to be walking perfectly fine then it cut to a diff angle an then he was stumbling...it was just kind of awkward, like he almost put too much emotion into it...

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Yea as good of an actor Rooker is, he wasnt a very good zombie! Ill have to watch again but, if i recall correctly, he licked his lips (never saw a Z do that) an i swear when he first got up, he seemed to be walking perfectly fine then it cut to a diff angle an then he was stumbling...it was just kind of awkward, like he almost put too much emotion into it...

I think it's just harder for us to suspend our disbelief when we have seen the actor as a living person. I actually thought he did a good job - way better than Bernthal, imo.

President Merle

President Merle

Biter

• Members
  • LocationReleased early for good behavior...
I recall reading somewhere that it takes the same amount of force to bite through a carrot, as it does to bite through a human finger. Enjoyed it though, looking forward to the finale.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!