The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 15 - This Sorrowful Life - Review

merle daryl rick the governor

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 15 - This Sorrowful Life (249 )

What did you think of the show?

1. Excellent (198 [79.52%])

79.52%

2. Good - Some Critiques (35 [14.06%])

14.06%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (12 [4.82%])

4.82%

4. Poor (4 [1.61%])

1.61%

M-88

M-88

Infected

• Members

I was just thinking how different the scene would have been if the previous owner had left a totally different cd in the car :D

The car was a bit unlrealistic for a few reasons - the "newest" gas was made about a year ago - gas will not last that long. Second, if the car was sitting for a year ... how was the battery not dead?

On a side note, it would have been awesome if the CD was opera or classical.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

Merle had his sights trained on the Governor, and Ben walked into the line of fire at the last second. There was virtually no reaction to it from the Woodbury crew.

The first shot that would have actually hit TG or make him duck, and Ben steps in the way. Ugh!

And yes, I know TG was not going to die tonight. I just would like someone to make him run for cover!

-Still confused as to why Merle took Michonne. I'm not understanding why he cares about the approval of the prison group all of a sudden? I'm not mad that they humanized Merle but they did it all in one episode, its a little unbelievable he would change so fast. I wish they would have started breaking his shell a bit earlier, he's had plenty a lecture since in the prison but this is the first time something got to him.

I think it was the conversation with Daryl right before Merle left that made Merle change suddenly. I don't think Merle cares about their approval so much for himself as much as he wants it for Daryl and his relationship with Daryl. Daryl just wanted his brother back. He wants Merle to be a part of his family again. That includes his new family--the prison group. So, I don't think it is so much that he wants their approval as much as just to be accepted and not seen as "the devil."

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
Thought it was a very good episode! Personally I hated Merle, so I am not sad over his death, but Daryl's reaction was heartbreaking, and I really felt for Daryl. The way he offed Merle reminded me of Carol and the way she chopped Ed to pieces with that pick-axe. They are so similar, and are so hurt and bruised deep down. All that pent up anger towards that person who was such a big part of their life. Definitely two of the best written characters on the show.

I don't know if I liked how Michonne was so nonchalant about Rick selling her out, and then just casually walked back to the prison. If I were here I'd give a big F-U to Rick and the prison, and move on. She must really trust them and like them if she's willing to go back after being sold out like that. I hope next week she confronts Rick about it because I'm thinking most people would be at least a little bit upset about it.

Really excited for next week! I'm just scared it's going to end with the Governor and crew arriving at the prison. I'd hate that. All that build up all in order for us to wait 6 months for it to come back.

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
Great episode tonight, I really enjoyed watching Merle and Michonne together. Pure badassness back and forth.
Im amazed by how much those 2 are made to live in a world like this. Under different circunstances they could have opened their own business of killing hordes of walkers without wasting a single bullet :lol:

Although he was a jerk, I have to admit Merle was a true soldier. He single-handedly (no pun intended) took care of 8 men, if he had Michonne, Daryl and Rick by his side they could have won the war right there. Its a pity he died, but at least he was able to do enough damage to Woodbury's army before he bit it.

So apparently Ricktatorship is now over. That scene when Rick was giving the speech made me realize how weak they are without Daryl Merle and Michonne (these 3 weren't at that scene).

Im really looking forward to Rick and Michonne conversation next, it must be awkward now that she knows he was planning on bringing her to the Gov..

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
This. So totally this. Good ep. I liked merle and will miss him. Great way to go out. The only way he couls. On his terms.

I'm numb from the range of emotions this episode took me through. First: I was heartbroken when Rick was planning on taking Michonne to TG. I'm sooo glad he backed out and I'm so glad to see Daryl happy that Rick changed his mind. Second: The scenes with Maggie and Glenn were wonderful. For those of you wondering about the clean ring? He pulled it off the walker and WASHED IT. I'm just afraid that by getting engaged, they've signed their death warrants. Third: Carol. The interaction with Carol and Merle was great. The line about her being a late bloomer was inspired. However, I was thinking that perhaps she's not afraid anymore because she has nothing left to lose? Sophia's death was the worst thing that could ever happen to her. So she doesn't fear anything anymore. Just a thought. I also fear for her in the finale. Fourth: The interaction with Michonne and Merle. Merle was totally planning on taking her to TG. She made him change his mind. Awesome! I don't think Michonne is going to hold a grudge against Rick, either. Rick changed his mind. Michonne knew Rick wouldn't do it. Merle knew Rick wouldn't do it. Everybody (except me! lol) knew Rick wouldn't do it. Michonne killing the walkers while tied up? She's soooo epic! Fifth: I wish Merle had decided to be a late bloomer like Carol encouraged him to be. His tactics and strategy would have been such an amazing asset for Rick and Co. However, as I've said all along, Merle was a lost cause. Yes, he died doing something good but I firmly believe he intended to die doing it. I think he had giving up on the possibility of there being a place for him and he knew Daryl was lost to him. Michonne made him realize that TG had pushed him into being a far more evil man than he had ever been prior to the ZA. Michonne forced him to see himself as he really is. I believe Merle had a total self realization moment. He had intended on taking Michonne and changed his mind. He formed the plan worthy of Sun Tzu while drinking some whiskey. Shooting TG's men while they were shooting the walkers in order to hide the sounds of his gunshots? So epic! Michael Rooker is a truly fantastic actor. You can see what he's thinking as it goes through his mind; he doesn't have to say a word. Sixth: Norman Reedus nailed the scene with zombie Merle. The anguish was so real. Daryl was mourning the loss of what Merle was and the fact that it was too late to see what Merle could have been. Daryl also realized that Merle's death was his own doing: "The only thing that can kill Merle is Merle." The acting on this show is so good sometimes. I'm sorry this post all ran together; for some reason, the "return" key doesn't work in the posting box on this site on the home pc.

JMK1975

JMK1975

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationHouston, Texas
I just hated that Rick even contemplated the michonne deal. It didn't feel real or true to his character at all so the first half of the ep I was taken out emotionally. I know he changed his heart but it should've never been needed. How could michonne ever trust him for even considering the deal and talking it over with Merle? I felt it rang phoney.

The last fifteen minutes did salvage the ep though for me. What do you think? I'm no hater. I just was blown away by that decision.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I'll have to rewatch to pay attention to what the scripture was about, but I felt like that scene was about Hershel reflecting on his faith and realizing that as much as he would give anything to protect his girls, he wouldn't hand Michonne over for them. Immediately after he finished, he got up and hobbled over to Rick to discuss the situation, and I assumed he was going to reject the Michonne idea.

So to me, it did make sense. Hershel was remembering the kind of man he was and is.

I agree. Not saying it didn't make sense just that I think they are relying on it too much for dramatic effect so its loosing its impact imo. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time he's quoted scripture before making a point.

I think it was the conversation with Daryl right before Merle left that made Merle change suddenly. I don't think Merle cares about their approval so much for himself as much as he wants it for Daryl and his relationship with Daryl. Daryl just wanted his brother back. He wants Merle to be a part of his family again. That includes his new family--the prison group. So, I don't think it is so much that he wants their approval as much as just to be accepted and not seen as "the devil."

I'm not sure about that, Merle was preparing to take Michonne anyway when Daryl walked in. Merle had the bag with supplies to kidnap Michonne hidden. We didn't see him hide it but we heard banging, he didn't answer Daryl, and looked a bit suspicious once Daryl saw him. If Merle had a change of heart from the conversation then wouldn't he have not captured Michonne? To me it looked like he didn't have the change of heart until his car ride with Michonne. If Merle's plan was to use Michonne as bait, he would have kept her with him (he said on TTD that it was not a suicide mission so he thought he was going to survive). If Merle's plan was to never give her to the Gov but only stall, he wouldn't have knocked her out and kept her tied up so long.

Up until this point Merle has never cared what anyone else thought about him but his brother. Although Daryl cares what the group thinks of Merle, that never has changed his own opinion of his brother. Merle knows this. The fact that he cares now out of the blue is too sudden imo for how they have portrayed his character thus far. I only say that because in his dialogue with Michonne in the car he was inferring more of what the group thought of him then his brother. Like I said they had plenty of time to start cracking this shell of his in the prison. He did apologize to Michonne but that seemed like a "truce so you don't kill me in my sleep" apology. Not to mention besides the initial upset of his arrival no one but Glenn has really glared "devil" daggers at him consistently, even Michonne soften towards him (two episodes ago when she said something to the effect of he's not a killer). I just feel like it could have been executed better. Kind of a let down imo since he was such a big antagonist this season.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I found it really hard to watch Merle hang himself out to dry. I think he wanted to be punished for all he has done. And it was hard to see a strong, tough, capable guy like him getting wailed on and broken like he was with the Guv. Merle's tough and capable, but the Governor has that extra dose of psycho to make him truly formidable. I was happy that at least Merle didn't have to endure being chowed down on. At least he died by gun shot, and hopefully quickly.

I like your thoughts here, I agree. Merle's last act would make so much sense if it was a way to make up for all he's done and if he did die then it would be his punishment. Although on Talking Dead the actor said it wasn't a suicide mission which then doesn't really make sense considering how it all played out unless he was just being drunk and reckless. Definitely thought him drinking and blasting music was his last "hurrah" before his end.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
1. I can't believe Rick even thought about giving up Michonne, that's not something he'd do in the comics.

2. How Michonne killed the walker with the wire was sick.

3. Holy shit, The Governor bit Merle's fingers off.

4. David Morrisey sounds like Liam Neeson.

5. I don't know how I feel about the whole Merle redemption thing. Part of me likes it, but the other part is confused over the fact that he spent the whole episode talking about how Rick would pussy out, when he did himself.

dphoenix

dphoenix

Infected

• Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL

I just hated that Rick even contemplated the michonne deal. It didn't feel real or true to his character at all so the first half of the ep I was taken out emotionally. I know he changed his heart but it should've never been needed. How could michonne ever trust him for even considering the deal and talking it over with Merle? I felt it rang phoney.

The last fifteen minutes did salvage the ep though for me. What do you think? I'm no hater. I just was blown away by that decision.

Same here. At first, I was very appalled that Rick had reached that decision. I think losing Lori has made him question himself, and made him embrace apprehension, fear, and doubt. This is why I think he considered the Michonne deal. He knows that the odds of going up against TG are certainly not in his favor, and the fact that there was a possible way out must've been way too appealing to overlook.

In other news, my thoughts on the episode: Great episode. I love Merle's character (not for personal reasons, but for entertainment reasons) and I'm glad he had a chance to prove to everyone that he was, deep down, a decent person. It's too bad he couldn't make it out of there alive. My only complaint about Merle's plan is, "Why didn't he take out TG first?" Was it because TG was hiding until the gunfire started popping off? Seems logical to take him out first...

Favorite Episodes:

1) The Grove 2) No Sanctuary 3) Clear

Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk

Infected

• Members
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I agree. Not saying it didn't make sense just that I think they are relying on it too much for dramatic effect so its loosing its impact imo. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time he's quoted scripture before making a point.

Some people live their life by scripture, and consult it regularly with whatever they are going through. I don't think it's far fetched at all. For Christians, scripture is not for dramatic effect, it's a way of life.

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members

I don't know if I liked how Michonne was so nonchalant about Rick selling her out, and then just casually walked back to the prison. If I were here I'd give a big F-U to Rick and the prison, and move on. She must really trust them and like them if she's willing to go back after being sold out like that. I hope next week she confronts Rick about it because I'm thinking most people would be at least a little bit upset about it.

I'm with you on that. I'm kind of pissed that Michonne's gonna go back there to help. I saw in the preview Rick telling her she's part of the group. I would have given him the finger. That irked me this whole episode. It was such a dumb idea on Rick's part. The group is stronger WITH her and he already knows the Gov is gonna kill them regardless. There were so many holes in his plan from jump.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
I think Merle broke even. Had he not changed he would have gotten what he deserved, but he did change in some small way ( In a way that still kept him an ass.. LOL!) but never under estimate what one would do for family. He may have only done it to ultimatley protect himself and Daryl ( I still say he figured he could somehow sneak off) but he still did it for partially unselfish reasons. I say karmicly he broke even.

(As an aside... I take pleasure knowing that Zombie Merle did my bidding and consumed Ben.. this pleases me as I assume the shot only paralyzed Ben and he was on the ground squirming and attracted Z Merle to him. I hope his dad reaches this conclusion )

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN

[/size]

Some people live their life by scripture, and consult it regularly with whatever they are going through. I don't think it's far fetched at all. For Christians, scripture is not for dramatic effect, it's a way of life.

Totally and plus one. I feel people have forgotten the value of looking toward a higher power for guidence and understanding. Its either ego or the lack of nohow to turn everything over to a higher power and be clean in the turning over. I dont do it enough myself. But i feel it brings a soulful impact to the show that it needs.

I also feel merle couldnt forgive himself 4 what he had become and couldnt find his way back from it.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

[/size]

I'm Catholic, so you are preaching to the choir here. However on TV, in this instance, it was for dramatic effect. Especially when it cuts over to scripture voice over and Rick seeing a vision of Lori while still having an internal debate on what to do with Michonne. There is nothing far fetched about its use of course, however its boarding on cliche since its been used so many times. Regardless if Hershel had a bible in his hand 24/7 no one wants to see the same trope played out over and over. People have said Hershel's bible quotes have been cliche in the past and I have always defended them. I think in previous situations they have had more impact in execution, novelity, and relevance. I agree with Creeper that it did apply to the situation, but not as meaningful as other times, like when he spoke with Merle. It's really not that big a deal to me though, just something I noted.

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy
Glenn and Maggie getting married pretty much says that the Prison is gonna be around A LOT longer.

VladiaVittler

VladiaVittler

Infected

• Members
The last part of the episode has my mind all confused so I could be wrong, but did Merle take the Rick's telephone?

Paradiselost

Paradiselost

Infected

• Members

The car was a bit unlrealistic for a few reasons - the "newest" gas was made about a year ago - gas will not last that long. Second, if the car was sitting for a year ... how was the battery not dead?

On a side note, it would have been awesome if the CD was opera or classical.

totally awesome comment can you imagine that scene with nessun dorma playing? That's the music playing at the end of sum of all fears movie.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

The last part of the episode has my mind all confused so I could be wrong, but did Merle take the Rick's telephone?

My first thought was, 'Oh no, now Lori's calling Merle.' ;)

I think he used the cord to tie up Michonne. I'm not sure why he grabbed the entire phone, though.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
Did anyone else notice rick had the bullet that killed lori in his hand while giving his speech?

Also the actir who plays tg has a beard on talking dead? So should u assume their into s4 with him still kicking?

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Did anyone else notice rick had the bullet that killed lori in his hand while giving his speech?

Oh, I did not. Good catch.

Ricktatorship

Ricktatorship

S-mart Employee

• Members
is zombie Merle another example of TG's ruthless?

I mean, he could've easily shot Merle in the head but maybe he wanted Daryl or someone to stumble upon him so they had to do it their selves.

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationWinterfell

is zombie Merle another example of TG's ruthless?

I mean, he could've easily shot Merle in the head but maybe he wanted Daryl or someone to stumble upon him so they had to do it their selves.

Yes. Also, remember in the scene where Merle + the 3 guys were hunting Michonne, he mentioned to Carguglio "we never let one of our own turn into one of those things" (paraphrasing here). They mentioned on Talking Dead that they probably had some kind of "pact," and I think the Gov shooting Merle in the chest was just another way of him being needlessly cruel. He wanted the prison gang (Daryl in particular, I'm sure) to find Merle as a walker.

3VHWYjA.gif

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Everyone's gonna hate me for this and give me negative points, but I really didn't feel satisfied with this episode.

It was like... let's turn Merle into a complex saint and kill him in two minutes. Now, I love Michael Rooker. He's a genius. I'll miss his performance. But I won't miss Merle because the writers never really made me care for Merle. They could've, they should've tried harder. But this episode was SO rushed and disjointed. So much wasted airtime. All those Merle/Michonne scenes? Waste of time. Rick monologuing? Waste of time. Merle/Carol? Waste of time.

All I kept thinking through this episode: Merle has been at the prison for how long now? Days, at least. I honestly wish the writers had taken the time to explore the Daryl/Merle dynamic while Merle was at the prison. I really wish Merle had been given more to do before this episode. I really wish they'd delved into Daryl and Merle's backgrounds, their childhoods, their past, their relationship.

But Merle got to the prison and all we got was scenes between him and Hershel, him and Michonne, him and Carol him and Rick. When really, what we needed, was scenes between Merle and Daryl.

I get that the writers wanted me to feel bad for Merle's death and they wanted me to feel bad for Daryl, but they should've done a better job by showcasing the brothers' relationship all throughout the last episodes. They didn't, and so his death, and Daryl's reaction, left me cold.

And I'm getting really fucking tired of The Governor being invincible. Seriously, EVERY SINGLE EPISODE is about a character attempting to kill him. Yet he always gets away. Can we get rid of this bitch already?

Did Ben even die? I just...

ButtonsTheHorse

ButtonsTheHorse

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOnett, Eagleland

Did Ben even die? I just...

He did, lol. Total waste of what was once an alright character and storyline. They had a chance to build upon him since he never did anything in the book until his arc came up and they kinda ruined it. Unfortuneately I feel Allen is going to get the same treatment. It's a shame :/

I agree with you but to a lesser extent. I liked the episode but it could've been better. I loved Glenn and Maggie's scene as their marriage has always been one of my favorite moments in the series. I didn't really feel too much at the end with Daryl finding Merle, I felt sad for the pair but I didn't feel like it was Merle's time yet. He could've done a lot more with the group before dying, or at least they should've done more with him in his time with us.

Ben's death left a lot to be desired, with the way he just acted as a shield for the ever oblivious Governor. I knew Merle wasn't going to be able to kill Gov but the way he got out of it just felt silly and a bit funny. Felt almost cartoony. Ben just popped up like a spring out of nowhere and took the hit. The best way to describe it was like, you know those cardboard cutouts of people that are used for target practice and just pop up? Like Ben was one of those cardboard cutouts that spring up and just messed everything up.

And with Merle it was just like, how am I supposed to feel bad for you when just 10 minutes ago you mugged Michonne in front of some zombies. And now from one moment to the next you're painted as a hero xD

I still really enjoyed the episode though, just had a few gripes. But I really loved the dialogue between everyone, and Rick coming to his senses and his speech to the group, Daryl's "you can't track for shit" remark to Rick, etc. Was a good episode but had a few problems. I was scared for Daryl at one point because I was thinking "someone going out on their own to the meeting place with the Gov? This can only end well." That's a good thing though, that they had me scared for him. Glenn taking the ring from the zombies was a cool nod to the CB.
"There's nothing worse than unexpected lava" ~ pokecapn

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!