53 replies to this topic

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • 5,836 posts
They can be alive or dead and this is all strictly opinion. Spoilers
Mine are, from worst to best

10. Hershel (I liked how his character arc and the dramatic moment when he realized that walkers weren't sick people and he had to murder his zombified family. It was also amazing how he was able to keep his faith right up until the end. I felt bad for him considering that every member of his family but one died. It was amazing he lasted as long as he did.)

9. Maggie (I liked her relationship with Glenn and her revenge that she inflicted on Thomas. I also liked the slow story about her recovering from her suicide attempt. Besides that, there's just something likable about her.)

8. Andrea (Gun loving, sarcastic girl who can hold her own and never cried unless it was somebody close to her who died.)

7. Michonne (She hasn't done much since the prison but during that arc she was at her finest. I liked her little moment in 102 when she explained how she felt as if she instigated the Governor's attack on the prison. I still care a lot about her and it seems as if her death is soon.)

6. Alice (I always thought she should've been RIck's love interest after Lori. She was smart, funny, and she cared a lot about his family, even going as far as to die for them.)

5. Rick (Was a lot more interesting during the prison arc as we saw his decent into madness and then he kind of just became a fractured character and somebody to follow as the story was told. If Carl dies, his character won't be nearly as compelling anymore. He's been getting more interesting while vowing to kill Negan and going to war with the Saviors.)

4. Abraham (Died WAAAY too early. His death makes sense now because if they were battling the Saviors and they had Abe on their side, it'd be a cakewalk. His story about his family was incredible and showed Kirkman's amazing writing as he talked to Rick about the "flipped switch." First character that died because they were too awesome.)

3. Tyreese (RIck's right hand man, rival, muscle, and the decision maker. Tyreese was Rick's foil and seeing everything that he did for the group and how much him and Rick cared about each other with everything they went through...It's hard to believe Rick didn't cry at his death.)

2. Carl (Not much to say about him that hasn't been said.)

1. Glenn (Same as Carl)

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
In no particular order:

Andrea
Tyreese
Abraham
Rick
Olivia - lol don't ask
Hershel
Alice
Axel
Sophia
Eugene

Honorable mentions: Carl, Michonne, Heath, Rosita

If I had more time I would expand on my reasoning, so maybe I'll come back and edit later.

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Dale
Abraham
Hershel
Rick
Andrea
Aaron
Douglas
Eugene
Carol
Morgan (there was definitely a lot more that could've been done with him)
Posted Image

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  • Location413
10. Heath
9. Chris (The Hunter)
8. Axel
7. Hershel
6. Abraham
5. Glen
4. Andrea
3. Michonne
2. Rick
1. Carl

Edited by Duffy Duck, 18 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

metsboy10

metsboy10

Infected

• Members
  • 22 posts
From worst to best:
The Governor and Negan tie (I know they are the bad guys but there characters are really evil and cool characters)
Carl
Morgan
Hershel
Rick
Abraham
Michonne
Glenn and Tyreese tie
"Through every dark night, there's a brighter day after that."
-Tupac Shakur

jones

jones

Infected

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas
1) Michonne
2) Axel
3) Tyreese
4) Negan
5) Glenn
6) Carl
7) Rick
8) Abraham
9) Shiva!
10) Dale

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHolly's room
ZOMBIES

terveetkadet

terveetkadet

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationThe Kingdom
1-Rosita
2-Rick
3-Andrea
4-Glenn
5-Michonne
6-Jesus
7-Ezekiel
8-Abraham
9-Shiva
10-Sophia

Honorable mentions: Tyreese, Axel and Eugene

Edited by terveetkadet, 18 March 2013 - 11:40 PM.

Canon_108

Canon_108

Lurker

• Members
  • 209 posts
1. Rick
2. Carl
3. Andrea
4. Glenn
5. Paul Monroe
6. Morgan
7. Michonne
8. Abraham
9. Maggie
10. Heath

ElGhosteh

ElGhosteh

Infected

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTexas
1. Andrea
2. Carl
3. Rick
4. Michonne
5. Tyreese
6. Jesus
7. Hershel
8. Heath
9. Morgan
10. Either Alice or Negan (he's fucking hilarious!)

Depending on how long she lasts, Shiva will replace Morgan.

Edited by ElGhosteh, 19 March 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Posted Image

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
1. Carl (he is the main character IMO)
2. Abraham
3. Michonne
4. Rick
5. Andrea
6. Glen
7. Tyreese
8. Axel
9. The Governor
10. Spencer ( he is like a car wreck just cant look away)

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Enanito_Verde

Enanito_Verde

Infected

• Members
  • 31 posts
10- Glenn
9- Herschel
8- Andrea
7- Dwight
6- shane
5- Michonne
4- Jesus
3- Carl
2- The Governor
1- Rick

Edited by Enanito_Verde, 19 March 2013 - 02:25 AM.

'Rick' Duff

'Rick' Duff

Lurker

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationAberystwyth, Wales
10 - The Governor
9 - Dale
8 - Hershel
7 - MIchonne
6 - Carol
5 - Negan
4 - Abraham
3 - Andrea
2 - Rick
1 - Carl

I really wanted to put Shane on there, but he's only really a complex, interesting character in the TV show.

nindza77

nindza77

Infected

• Members
  • 79 posts
.1.Spencer
2.Spencer
3.Spencer
4.Spencer
5.Spencer
6.Spencer
7.Spencer
8.Spencer
9.Spencer
10.Rick

AbrahamFord

AbrahamFord

Infected

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNj
1. Abraham (Obviously)
2. Tyreese
3. Rick
4. Rick
5. Carl
6. The Governor
7. Dale
8. Hershel
9. Axel
10. Negan

Pretty hard to choose them in order.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

1. Abraham (Obviously)
2. Tyreese
3. Rick
4. Rick
5. Carl
6. The Governor
7. Dale
8. Hershel
9. Axel
10. Negan

Pretty hard to choose them in order.

Rick twice?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

In no particular order:

Andrea
Tyreese
Abraham
Rick
Olivia - lol don't ask
Hershel
Alice
Axel
Sophia
Eugene

Honorable mentions: Carl, Michonne, Heath, Rosita

If I had more time I would expand on my reasoning, so maybe I'll come back and edit later.

Sorry. I have to ask. Olivia?

vampirebat

vampirebat

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBrockton, Massachusetts
1.) Carl-most dynamic character of the series. So many moving parts and interesting ways to tell his story
2.) Michonne-her cold unemotional style interests me so much. It is a treat every time we are able to get insight into her character.
3.) Rick-his bag of crazy is what drives the book. He Is the catalyst and I'm emotionally attached to him
4.) Abraham- the trip with Rick to find Morgan.... enough said
5.) Tyreese- his connection to Rick, their relationship, and his tenacity
6.) Andrea - total badass mofo. Loved her from the beginning. Amazingly interesting.
7.) Dale - bagged above badass mofo Andrea at his age. Pretty impressive.
8.) Axel - a character that served his purpose and did exceptionally well. You follow me?
9.) Herschel - a lot of layers wish he was still around
10.) Glenn - just awesome. Flawed as any other but always looked out for group.

Viner16

Viner16

Infected

• Members
  • 43 posts
Rick
Axel
Dale
Glenn
Carl
Negan
Shiva
Tyreese
Abraham
Eugene

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee..."

Posted Image

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • LocationSpace City
Ezekiel--The teaser about the tiger really dampened the impact of their meeting.....but an intriguiing character introduction, nonetheless. Curious to find out if he's batshit crazy, or just very eccentric.
Carl--Having an impressionable young kid around to see everything, and put the pieces of his sense of morality together really makes the whole story.
Michonne--I like her unique perspective.
Andrea--Sharp-witted sharpshooter......very glad she and Rick got together.
Jesus--Great introduction......and always good to have a ninja around.
Abraham--Touching backstory.....miss him.
Rosita--I just like this chick for some reason.
Eugene--Never know what you'll get from this one.
Alice--I liked that she took it upon herself to learn a skill, and didn't care to be praised for doing so. Died too soon, IMO.
Axel--Guy was funny. I loved the moment when Alice walked in on him and Patricia, that was hilarious.

Edited by I R Biter, 20 March 2013 - 12:11 AM.

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • LocationHolly's room
Does anyone not like carl? He is ok for me
1.Rick
2.Abe
3.Dale
4.Andrea
5. The gov.
6. Eugene
7.Michonne
8.Axel
9.Jesus
10.Morgan
maybe not that order but close to that

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania
How are people already saying Shiva...

10) Spencer Monroe - Not only is he unintentionally funny, but I actually find what little of a story he has to be kind of compelling. I really hope we get to see a good chunk more of him when the time comes.

9) Jessie Anderson - I loved her. She almost paralleled tv-Carol, in a good way. I was devastated at how quickly she died, and while it was a hear-breaking moment for me to see Rick sacrifice her for his love of Carl, I feel her death was both too early and didn't really advance anything. All it did was further reinforce Rick's care for Carl, which I had never questioned. I I wish she was around longer.

8) Douglas Monroe - While he died at a fitting time for his arc, I just wish he'd had a little more interaction with Rick and much more with the rest of Rick's group. I didn't care for his story with Regina, but it was a necessary story to tell with the two.

7) Caesar Martinez - He was a bastard, but I'd be lying if he wasn't a bad guy that I wanted to see win a bit. I was really sad when Rick ran him over in Dale's RV, even though it was an awesome moment to read.

6) Abraham Ford - Like Douglas, his death was really fitting for me. I loved his arc after he started to really settle into the story. Early on, he came off as pandering to the angsty-tween audience, but he came around when Aaron and Eric came about. I loved his role in the construction crew and his relationships with Rosita, Rick, Holly and Eugene.

5) Eugene Porter - The only thing wrong with Eugene is how little we get of him. But when we get a Eugene story, it's always great. I just feel like Kirkman keeps teasing us with potential Eugene stories. I love his friendship with Abraham, I love his lust for Rosita, I love the way he tries to juxtapose himself with Gabriel, I love the way he bit Dwight's penis in retaliation for Abraham's murder, I love how he provides and I love his insecurities and hypotheses. Eugene is awesome and perfectly innovative. Easily one of the most badass character we've seen, without being in-your-face about it.

4) Andrea - Unlike her tv-counterpart, comic-Andrea has been consistently great, and seems to always receive the amount of panel-time and character development that she deserves. She's always done her best to provide for the whole and never lets her feelings cloud her judgement. She knows how to submit to her feelings of pain, but to make them beneficial, rather than detrimental. She's respectful to others (case in point: Spencer), and has amazing chemistry with just about every character. Also, why the hell doesn't she have a last name? lol

3) Dale Horvath - It took me a while to swallow his relationship with Andrea, because I initially found it gross, but as I broke down beyond social norms, I found great appreciation for the relationship and Dale's insecurities about it. Dale was the perfect moral foil to Rick's psyche without being borderline illogical and insufferable like his tv-counterpart. I admire the relationship that he had with Rick and that he--while usually trusting Rick's instinct--would always do what he thought best for the whole. I had great respect for the man, and came to understand his every nuance. Like Douglas and Abraham, his death fit perfectly as an end to a compelling arc. My only qualm is that his relationship with his adopted sons, Billy and Ben, was hardly scratched upon. Then again, anything with Billy and Ben was hardly scratched upon. They may as well have never existed.

2) Carl Grimes - I never really cared about Carl until his desperation for love and parental guidance when he thought Rick had died. I loved his assertion of independence and then the realization that he still wasn't mature enough to be on his own as he'd wanted. Prior to the post-Prison arc, what little was done with Carl had always been something stupid that was glossed over way too quickly, and that prevented me from forming any sort of a connection with him. I think after the prison arc, Kirkman realized how poorly he was handling Carl, and turned The Walking Dead into a joint-story with Rick and Carl, and that works perfectly. Carl being the one to kill Ben was fantastic and he continues to show that he's the one who'll stand up and do the dirty work when no one else has it in them to do what's necessary. He's a miniature version of his father, except possibly even scarier. I'd love to Carl slowly become a "villain."
Carl getting shot in the eye was the second-most traumatic part of the comics for me, as a reader (behind the prison assault with almost everyone dying). I really care about Carl.

1) Rick Grimes - Like with Carl, I never really cared about Rick until the post-prison arc. He never really showed the complexity of tv-Rick until Lori and Judith had died. I hated how it felt like he didn't care too much for most of the others, yet was plagued with guilt, should he not "rescue" someone. It was a dumb dichotomy that I just never could jive off of. After we were introduced to Abraham and Rick stood up for the suicidal Maggie, that's when I got into the character of Rick. And from there, he quickly (and organically) grew into a much more colorful character. I don't think that I really even need to explain why. I just can't wait to see where Rick ends up next!

Honorable mentions (in no particular order): Alice, Glenn Rhee, Morgan Jones, Michonne, Otis, Negan, Nicholas, Holly, Heath, Aaron, Denise Cloyd, Chris (Hunter), Axel, Tobin and Patricia.
Frankly, I don't care much at all for the rest of the cast--dead and alive. I'm still hoping that Rosita Espinosa, Sophia Peletier, Tara, Dwight, Sherry, Gabriel Stokes, Amber, Ezekiel and Mark get some good stuff in the future, so I can get to liking them. I really want to like each of those characters.

And just for fun...My least favorites...

10) Arnold, Lacey, Rachel and Susie Greene - Oh, look, pointless characters who served as nothing but a reason for Hershel to get butthurt. None of these four left any impact on me other than feeling annoyed at how anti-climatically they died. Their deaths provided Hershel and Maggie with some good development, but I feel those bits of their arcs could've been reached in other ways. Judging by their exclusions from the tv show, I'd say I'm not the only person who feels this way.

9) Ben & Billy - Wait...who? Probably the two most useless characters in the whole series. Their only purpose was to show Carl's ruthlessness and Dale's love, both of which took them almost sixty-freaking-issues to accomplish. Ben's mutilation of Billy was sickening, in a good, story-rich kind of way--shame it wasn't exploited beyond a tv-Randall-esque scenario.

8) Regina Monroe - A tedious character who served a purpose, but I feel the execution of that purpose could've been better handled. I felt nothing for her at any time, even as she died. She was emotionally weak and almost pathetic. I feel like she didn't try enough with Douglas, and her relationship with Spencer hardly existed. Though, the same can be said about Douglas to Spencer, too. The Monroe's definitely needed a bit more positive development.

7) Carol Peletier - Honestly, Carol was a disgrace from the moment she hooked up with Tyreese. It was the beginning of constant, needless sex in the comics that was never developed beyond just sex. Maybe there's some deeper context with it all that I just never grasped. I doubt it. There must be a reason why all of that constant sex (sans-Glenn and Maggie) stopped. Anyway, Carol was a pathetic loser who did nothing but sexually latch onto literally anyone who showed her the greatest thread of decency. It was sadly laughable how she offered herself to both Rick and Lori, and then later suggested a three-way marriage between them, just because the two stuck up for her when Tyreese was being an oblivious ass about the Michonne situation (Remind me again why the two are so popular?). Carol's misunderstanding of the separation between denial, and rejection was gross. I know the two words have similar definitions and are pretty much synonyms of each other, but when things boil down to strict survival--especially in a zombie apocalypse--they become two very different things. I admire Rick and Lori fro what they did for the smelly abomination that was Carol. Carol's disrespect for Sophia was easily one of the most appalling things in the comic. A disgusting women who saw a fitting end as she was willingly devoured by a zombie that she thought was trying to be her friend after she broke-down from discovering that Rick and Lori didn't want to marry her. And still no regard for her child daughter. Did she ever really care for Sophia?
Now, tv-Carol... What an awesome character! She still feels like the same character, except I can actually respect and admire the television-counterpart! This was done in great part by exploring her background much deeper than the comics ever did and taking the excessive sexual encounters out of the tv show.

6) Pete Anderson - Pretty much the comic-iteration of Ed Peletier. He was a necessary character, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed him! The Anderson story was a compelling one to tell, but I definitely think that he should've been a bit more firmly established prior to being murdered by Rick.

5) Julie - Seriously...what the hell was the point of this? Julie and Chris are just kind of there for a while, only to hang out in the background, occasionally trying to get at it at inappropriate times. They were the most aggravating and pointless sexual relationship in a time when the comics were throwing appalling amount of sex at me left-and-right. Julie was a naive idiot, who even in the zombie apocalypse, seemed to have very little respect for her father. I might've mourned her loss a little bit, had she received more than three speaking lines prior to the issue in which she had Chris take her virginity and then kill her. But she didn't, so oh well.

4) Chris - Pretty much copypasta of Julie, except change naive idiot to sniveling, sex-depraved, disrespectful tool. The whole few times that he actually spoke, he just displayed how much of an ass he was. The way he acted to killing Julie and not dying himself and not being able to commit suicide--disgusting. I actually smiled when Tyreese murdered him.

3) Shane Walsh - Unlike his tv-counterpart, comic-Shane was a nuisance from the get-go and an obvious big problem. Despite how troublesome tv-Shane was, he was a compelling character and I loved watching him unfold. The same cannot be said about comic-Shane. However, perhaps I would've felt the same had he been given some more time to develop. In the worst era of the comics, Shane just felt like an obnoxious cliche who stood in the way of more interesting stories. Bye-bye.

2) Donna - Ugh. I was supposed to hate her, right? The character made sense and from a writing stand-point, she served a purpose that was excellently executed. I can't really complain, because Donna's character made the point that Kirkman intended, but ugh... I'm not sure if she was a necessary character. Her whole family seemed rather unnecessary since none of their stories ever actually went anywhere. I was happy when Donna died.

1) The Governor / Brian Blake - I've seen him get some great lovin' and I can't quite figure out why. Obviously, I'm supposed to hate him because he was the main villain for a while, but I don't think I hate him the same way as others. Neither his comic, nor his tv (Made tolerable only because of the spectacular David Morrisey) counterpart were villains that I secretly rooted for. I couldn't wait for comic-Governor to die. He was an evil prick and I didn't understand why. I'm not sure if I want to know why (I know there's the novel, "Rise of the Governor," which supposedly explains his past and motivations, but I have little intention of ever reading it). He always just fell flat and stupid. Good riddance.

Note: Just because I hated a characters' arc doesn't mean I don't respect Kirkman for venturing such a story. While I hated Carol, her story was a great one that was a wonderfully executed necessity. However, the same cannot be applied to Julie, Ben, or several others who, in the long-run, practically served no purpose at all and left no emotional impact on me, as a reader.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

1) The Governor / Brian Blake - I've seen him get some great lovin' and I can't quite figure out why. Obviously, I'm supposed to hate him because he was the main villain for a while, but I don't think I hate him the same way as others. Neither his comic, nor his tv (Made tolerable only because of the spectacular David Morrisey) counterpart were villains that I secretly rooted for. I couldn't wait for comic-Governor to die. He was an evil prick and I didn't understand why. I'm not sure if I want to know why (I know there's the novel, "Rise of the Governor," which supposedly explains his past and motivations, but I have little intention of ever reading it). He always just fell flat and stupid. Good riddance.

How are people saying Shiva already? Seriously?
Anyway, I think people like this villain not because we were supposed to understand his motivations or realize he was misunderstood. He was the first character who was changed by the world around him and he just relished in the fact that he was evil. He's not like the stupid show Governor who puts up a nice face. No. One of the first things he says when he meets Rick.
"Well, stranger. We're feeding them strangers."
When he realizes Rick is lying...
BAM!
Cuts off his hand.
The reason he wasn't on my list is because he kind of just got laughable at a point. Seriously. How many gunshots, beatings, amputations, etc can a man survive? He was very formidable, though.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
i change my #1 to Buttons the horse

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania
Very well put, JesusMonroe. I might've enjoyed early-Governor more if he didn't look like Danny Trejo in a turtleneck...
"Hi, my name is evil, and I'll be your antithesis today" just didn't bode for me and I have a hard time understanding what others saw. Though, like I said, you put it very nicely. He was probably the first real, non-zombie threat we met. And then there was a point where he just became unenjoyable. I must admit, however, that I loved watching Michonne torture him.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: characters, top 10, spoilers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!