The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 - Prey - Review

the governor andrea tyreses sasha

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 Prey Rate and Review (214 )

What did you think of this week's show?

1. Excellent (100 [46.73%])

46.73%

2. Good - Some Critiques (88 [41.12%])

41.12%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (19 [8.88%])

8.88%

4. Poor (7 [3.27%])

3.27%

SugarSkull

SugarSkull

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationNoVA
I voted excellent....Its been quite a while since I was engrossed in an episode that I actually yell out

"sh!t, run, run run"....LOL ,,,wow when the walkers had Andrea up against the tree and it almost took a bite out of her arm...YIKES

yeah there were a few little gripes here and there...but overall I really enjoyed this one

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

I think we're going to find out that Milton DID NOT light up the zombies.

My guess is that it was the person you would least suspect-- outside of the Governor himself.

There have been red herrings right along that maybe one of the folks at Woodbury isn't as gung-ho about the situation as what we have been led to believe.

Hmmmm... You think Martinez torched them? Highly unlikely, but that's an unexpected twist I would REALLY like to see.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Really excited that they'll be further exploring the dynamics and history of Tyreese's group within the next two episodes (Kirkman confirmed in last night's EW article). We got a good taste of it in this episode, with Allen's insecurities and the on/off relationship between him and Tyreese.

ZomZom

ZomZom

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCT
I really really enjoyed this episode. I haven't been legit scared by an episode in awhile. That whole cat and mouse chase in the abandoned building with the sneaking walkers and the Guv whistling that bizarre tune was unsettling.

I was surprised by a few things:

1) I actually enjoyed an episode that took place away from the prison group. I really think this show is so much more effective when they tell one straight storyline and knock off the switching places. It allows the intensity to build naturally. This is how they SHOULD have done episode 3? (4?) when Lori and T-Dog died. Would have truly allowed the tension to build!

2) I actually did not hate Andrea this episode. I was rooting for her to make it back. I let out a "woot!" when she opened that stairwell of walkers on the Guv!

3) I actually saw the Guv the way he's supposed to be viewed, as a true villain. I found him much too relateable to actually hate him in previous episodes.

Overall, can't wait until next Sunday! So bummed there's only 2 episodes left!

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
And now the Andrea lovers coming back. I thought it was a great episode and Andrea was fantastic. She was so close and didnt make it. I loved Milton this episode as well. He's really starting to stand up for himself and be proactive in stopping the governor. Sure he stopped Andrea from shooting him but he's not naive and turning his cheek anymore.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

For those not getting the flashback at the beginning I rewatched it and now I'm more convinced it was supposed underscore what made Andrea decide the only solution left was to kill the Gov. Michonne told Andrea not to be sorry for her walkers because "they deserved what they got, they weren't human to begin with." Same could be said for the Gov. Andrea shouldn't feel remorse or attachment to whom she thought the Gov was because he was never truly that person to begin with. In fact if anything the Gov has shown he is as inhuman as the walkers because he has the same amount of compassion and consideration for human life, its nothing to him. Like most things in TWD this season, I feel as it could have been executed better. They never did really tie it in all that well but I think it matches up with what Andrea was going through to a tee. It seemed to really hit home once she saw his torture chamber, that this is a person beyond redemption and she was resolved in what she had to do. Unfortunately, Milton has yet to understand this.

I agree wholeheartedly. Also, after seeing the torturne chamber, Andrea knows TG is not going to stop until he has made Michonne pay for killing walker Penny. If Michonne's pets abused/raped her pre-turning, Andrea may feel that Michonne has endured enough at the hands of psychopaths.

I understand why she's so defensive of Andrea, but I agree that she often takes it a step too far. Last night on Talking Dead I could see it, and I'm pretty sure she gave a spoiler by mistake (I'd need to rewatch to remember exactly what she said). As for the keys, we've seen the others leave the keys in the car before, I figured it was a thing they all started to do when out and about, just in case one of them didn't make it (and had the keys on them) and the others needed to make a quick get away.

I understand her defensiveness too. People sent Laurie Holden death treats over shooting Daryl. I am sure that she would rather not receive anymore.

I enjoyed the napalming flashback. It gave us more insight into what people were going through at the beginning of the outbreak, the terror, the panic, it seemed that it was probably a growing realization for Shane and Lori that this was more terrifying real than they originally thought and their lives were about to change forever. The Lori and friend flashback was meh but did give us more insight into where Lori and Rick's relationship was at the time of Rick's shooting. From the very first scene (with Rick and Shane in the car) it seemed like typical marriage problems. So, it did provide us with more information on their relationship. I do like Judari's thoughts on how this flashback related to this episode show but I was hoping to glean more info about Andrea and Michonne's relationship.

The napalm also gave us insight on how the group came together, at least how the Peletiers joined Lori, Shane, and Carl. It also showed us how outsiders viewed Ed and Carol's relationship as Lori overheard Ed berating Carol, and more importantly, Lori and Shane's relationship when Sophia told Carl that his "father," referring to Shane, was nice.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

tigress

tigress

Infected

• Members
  • LocationWith Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
I voted this was an excellent episode, felt really on edge the whole time. I expected Andrea to make it safely to the prison, I didn't expect the Governor to show up at all.
* The woman is wild, a she - cat tamed by the purr of a jaguar. She's deadly man, she could really rip your world apart. *

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
Everything relating to Andrea in the show was good. Some of the set up's were a bit contrived. I expected an walker arm to come through the fork in the tree(s) that Andrea hidden behind, her placement was just too convenient. It also seemed that she waited for the two female walkers to catch up to her so she could heroically fend them off.
She did exactly what I would've done in that factory upon finding a stairwell full of walkers and then turning them loose on TG. I was half expecting her to ask him casually "by the way... how many bullets you got in that gun?" then opened the door.
The gov, has now cross the thresh hold of cliched bad guys. Torture chamber (yes I know it's in the comics), the whistling, the cat-n-mouse hunt in the factory, dragging the shovel on the fence and the floor (expecting Andrea to be a frightened rabbit and bolt because the tension is too high), pretending to be nice and forgiving, escaping mass zombies/walkers in a what should've been a hopeless situation. Just how did he get out of that anyway? Popping up and capturing Andrea when she was sooo close to her goal. Now has her tied up awaiting some heinous fate. By the way how he managed to drag her flat on the ground to avoid being seen by Rick and to the truck and then kept her in the truck as he drove through WB... another hole.
Yeah it was Milton that torched the walkers in the screaming pits. Dunno why that guard didn't do a quick bang bang on the ones that were ruined but still alive.
Tyreese had more lines in this one episode than T-Dog entire performance. Guess the writers really like him.

Overall a good episode. Just had a lot of "yeah, I've seen that scene before in other shows/movies).

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Zen_Master

Zen_Master

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia
so, just like Merle got Rick's cut-off hand, The Gov gets Tyreeese's gym zombie-massacre scene?

damn, i feel bad for Andrea almost making it back to her people, only to end up in the 'dentist's chair'. yikes.

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest

You mentioning the whistle bit almost makes me not think it was cheesy anymore.

Where do you find out all these things?! :P

I grew up learning Mother Goose. Guess that's out of style these days. When he played the recording I looked it up on wikipedia to refresh my memory. It's not my favorite, too sweet for my taste.

Nursery Rhymes all have a story behind them. Good fun reading about them, I think. :baby:

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
Wow! Since the Hubby and I took the kids camping this week for Spring Break, we got to watch last week and last night's episodes back to back.

To me, the creepiest thing about the Gov is how he's able to go from total psycho to mostly-normal conversations with the WB people. He only lets his total crazy show when he's talking to Milton. The changing stories and shifting attitudes and personas to match the person he's talking to is just creepy bizarre - true psychotic-killer-esque.

I still wasn't rooting for Andrea (I was yelling her at how stupid and clumsy she was during the whole Gov car chase and warehouse scene.) but I was sorry to see her tied up in the chair at the end. She put herself there but still, I felt sorry for her. And yes, she should have taken The Gov's truck but as someone said, he probably didn't leave the keys in it.

As for the speculum, when I saw it, my first thought was that he was planning to use it to take out Michonne's eyes. Again, uber-creepy and psychotic. The fact that he is relishing and planning his torture is very serial-killer.

Milton totally disappointed me when he wouldn't let Andrea kill The Gov but he redeemed himself when he toasted the walkers. Now he just needs to finish it all by putting down The Gov himself.

The scene with Rick wondering if he saw something and dismissing it was beautifully done. Overall, good stuff. :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Nursery Rhymes all have a story behind them. Good fun reading about them, I think. :baby:

Exactly. For example, Ring Around the Rosy is about the plague.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

Well, I agree about loving Milton(though I found him intriguing before he ever showed a backbone), but please, no, don't make him a "warrior"! Why must every liked character turn into a ninja, Michonne or Andrea-like character? That is a good arc for characters, but I get so tired of everyone being these super-awesome walker killers that have both strength of character and the ability to kick some serious ass! I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to defend himself, but I seriously do not understand the fascination with every character becoming Buffy. Some people are never going to be natural or skilled fighters. Characters like Milton add layers and interest to the show because they aren't like the macho, physically capable characters. Sorry, not trying to ream you out...I just really disagree. :lol:

Why would you leap to Andrea and Michonne? I see Beth being able to protect herself, Carl, Carol. If he can't kill a walker he might as well kill himself. That's what I would want to avoid seeing. I want to see him come to terms with this new world.

What do you think has motivated Milton so far? Why is he so devoted to Phillip? I believe it's because he doesn't want to experience the dire extremities of this new world and who would? But now his choices are enabling a psychopath. Am I the only one who doesn't want to see Milton go down in flames? And maybe he can survive in Woodbury, but who will lead them? And will they want Milton as their advisor? And if he leads them, will people follow a guy who can't kill a walker?

Why must every opinion be viewed as black or white? This is a series about extremities but by not introducing the Governor in all his comic book psychotic glory we get to see the shades between. I don't think Milton would ever work as a courageous killer but the best way for him to stand on his own without the Governor is to be able to defend himself.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

The napalm also gave us insight on how the group came together, at least how the Peletiers joined Lori, Shane, and Carl. It also showed us how outsiders viewed Ed and Carol's relationship as Lori overheard Ed berating Carol, and more importantly, Lori and Shane's relationship when Sophia told Carl that his "father," referring to Shane, was nice.

Yes. It also was set up to show how Lori and Shane started leaning on his other and was the start of their relationship. I was never in the camp of them having an affair pre-ZA.
So, I'd say that flashback gave us a lot of insights.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I enjoyed the napalming flashback. It gave us more insight into what people were going through at the beginning of the outbreak, the terror, the panic, it seemed that it was probably a growing realization for Shane and Lori that this was more terrifying real than they originally thought and their lives were about to change forever.

I thought it was all very well done, don't get me wrong. I was just comparing this scene with the most recent flashback in terms of what new information was revealed.

The napalming scene gave us more details about stuff we already knew, which was fine.

The campfire scene with Michonne and Andrea revealed something we had previously not known: there was a relationship between Miichonne and the pet walkers and it was apparently traumatic.

And it it did so in a way that left us wanting to know more, thereby creating more fascination with Michonne's character.

Again, it was well done, but compared to the S3 flashback, it didn't really tell us anything new. It provided some interesting details yes, but compared to what we learn about Michonne, it wasn't exactly revelatory.

I guess my main beef is the heavy-handed criticism of things done in season three that have already been done in past seasons (where they seemed to have escaped criticism).

It often leads me to wonder: what did Glen Mazzara do to some of you?

Were some of the writers axed from the writing staff when he came on board and now lurk in this forum complaining about how bad the writing is? ^_^

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

I really enjoyed the episode. Worried for Andrea, really hope she doesn't die in the finale!

I was a little bummed ou the Gov reached Andrea just as she got to the prison though. Yeah it felt a little "B movie" at times but why is that bad!? B movie horrors ad thrillers are the best! Quit ya moaning, was a fun episode!

I don't want her to die, either!

I was watching Andrea's run, she really wasn't giving herself much of a reserve as far as energy and breath. She hadn't gotten too winded when she fended off those three in the woods but by the time Phillip spotted her she sounded winded to me. I don't discount her time in the warehouse, either. I would have been scared spitless let alone be able to catch my breath. Yes, she was calm when she opened the door and released the walkers but I think she'd used up her second wind to get to the Prison ASAP.

When he caught up to her, didn't he knock her down, pull her down roughly? I have to watch it again but my immediate reaction was that she'd gotten the wind knocked out of her. I had been watching her energy and breathing from her escape. For some reason I remembered Rick's speech to Sophia about getting winded.

I have to watch it again now. Really don't want to. It's the creepiest episode for me, by far.

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Why would you leap to Andrea and Michonne? I see Beth being able to protect herself, Carl, Carol. If he can't kill a walker he might as well kill himself. That's what I would want to avoid seeing. I want to see him come to terms with this new world.

What do you think has motivated Milton so far? Why is he so devoted to Phillip? I believe it's because he doesn't want to experience the dire extremities of this new world and who would? But now his choices are enabling a psychopath. Am I the only one who doesn't want to see Milton go down in flames? And maybe he can survive in Woodbury, but who will lead them? And will they want Milton as their advisor? And if he leads them, will people follow a guy who can't kill a walker?

Why must every opinion be viewed as black or white? This is a series about extremities but by not introducing the Governor in all his comic book psychotic glory we get to see the shades between. I don't think Milton would ever work as a courageous killer but the best way for him to stand on his own without the Governor is to be able to defend himself.

Good call. Milton seems like he isn't a bad guy, just a coward and a follower. He doesn't have to get to "ninja-level" to develop, and be more of an influential force. Perhaps Andrea's refusal to bow down will inspire him, seems like that's where things are going.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members
As much as I felt bad for Andrea in this episode, a part felt like it was her own fault and brought it upon herself. She had numerous opportunities to leave TG yet she chose to n

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Here we go. No woman deserves this, no matter who she is or how many mistakes she's made.

No. Woman. Deserves. This.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

As much as I felt bad for Andrea in this episode, a part felt like it was her own fault and brought it upon herself. She had numerous opportunities to leave TG yet she chose to n

Seriously??

Here we go. No woman deserves this, no matter who she is or how many mistakes she's made.

What she said and I had to bold some of it for extra emphasis.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Yeah, I am really taken aback by the amount of people saying that Andrea "brought this on herself". I mean, what could a person possibly to do deserve being tortured and sodomized?

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationKnoxville TN
All in all a good one. @ the end when the camera went into the room i half expected andrea to be shown half naked and beaten to a pulp. That wouldve really struck a cord.

WalkerBaitressToo

WalkerBaitressToo

Infected

• Members

Ran out of +1s today, but I agree with you 110%. No matter what anyone feels about the character or the actress playing her (and I admit I have very mixed feelings, at best), anyone who thinks that any woman OR man deserves to have his/her body violated in such an UGLY way is a sick bastard.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members
As much as I felt bad for Andrea this episode, I couldn't help but think this was mostly her own fault. She had ample opportunities to leave TG but she chose to not listen to her friends and believed she was someone important enough to TG that would make her indispensable. From day one she never took advice from anyone and always did what she wanted. Even though i know her loyalty ultimately lies with Rick and his group but being naive and stupid is not an excuse. Its like she needs things spelled out for her to "get it". I do hope she makes it out alive though given that she's still has a good heart and means well, just dumb. Maybe Milton will save her and end up getting killed? Who knows....

I don't think the opening scene with michonne was pointless. I feel like Somehow things always come together and make sense eventually.

I enjoyed this episode and voted excellent.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens
Another episode with 5-10 minutes worth of plot dragged out to an hour. You people have really low standards. You will eat up anything these writer throw at you despite how little substance it has.

Oh and feel free to downvote me just because I don't praise the show for stuffing every episode with filler.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!