The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 - Prey - Review

the governor andrea tyreses sasha

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 Prey Rate and Review (214 )

What did you think of this week's show?

1. Excellent (100 [46.73%])

46.73%

2. Good - Some Critiques (88 [41.12%])

41.12%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (19 [8.88%])

8.88%

4. Poor (7 [3.27%])

3.27%

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

That kill whistle of Phillip's is the same tune he played for Penny. I haven't been here long enough to see if anyone else has posted it's history. It's from the eighteenth century, an English song called Bye, Baby Bunting. Creepy how he took such an innocent lullaby and has warped it.

Loved Andrea's decisions. Hated Phillip's catching her but loved loved loved the abandoned warehouse scene. And Phillip (Like Laurie Holden said on Talking Dead, he doesn't deserve the title Governor) was very creepy in those scenes.

I have to say the torture chamber is deeply disturbing. I know they want to push boundaries but I'm hoping in the future episodes they don't focus on it too much. I know it has a place from the comic book but it freaked me out, I'm not ashamed to say.

What will Tyreese do when he learns that his concerns only made things worse for Andrea? All of his worries about what will happen at the Prison and here he gets Andrea tortured in Woodbury.

And what will Martinez do when he learns about his leader? If he hates the walkers for what they do, without consciousness or brain, what will he think of Phillip's sickness?

And Michonne was abused by her walker pets pre ZA? That's interesting.

Never doubted Andrea could handle herself with a knife or a gun, I just wish she had half of Rick's ability to read people.

Loving Milton. I feel he will die with Woodbury but that will be a shame. I would love to see him become a warrior, which is what would have to happen if he joined Rick's group.

Can't wait for next episode but I have to say I'm not going to rewatch this episode as compulsively as I do others.

You mentioning the whistle bit almost makes me not think it was cheesy anymore.

Where do you find out all these things?! :P

Sonaliegh

Sonaliegh

S-mart Employee

• Members
I feel bad for saying this, but Andrea's in a situation all her making. She should have left the Gov a long time ago, but she didn't. She was too blind to who and what he really is. It's ironic that she's found herself on the receiving end of his wrath.

As another poster said, I too was annoyed with Tyree's flip flopping. Dude needs to get the heck out of Dod...Woodbury.

And yes, that was a SPECULUM on the Gov's torture table. When I saw it I was like WHAT are you going to do with that?!! Ugh.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Loving Milton. I feel he will die with Woodbury but that will be a shame. I would love to see him become a warrior, which is what would have to happen if he joined Rick's group.

Well, I agree about loving Milton(though I found him intriguing before he ever showed a backbone), but please, no, don't make him a "warrior"! Why must every liked character turn into a ninja, Michonne or Andrea-like character? That is a good arc for characters, but I get so tired of everyone being these super-awesome walker killers that have both strength of character and the ability to kick some serious ass! I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to defend himself, but I seriously do not understand the fascination with every character becoming Buffy. Some people are never going to be natural or skilled fighters. Characters like Milton add layers and interest to the show because they aren't like the macho, physically capable characters. Sorry, not trying to ream you out...I just really disagree. :lol:

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

Yes, it is. And when the WD crew member gave a tour of the torture chamber he did not show it. I haven't rewatched to see if it was just not mentioned but I don't think it was on the table. That disturbed me very much. Not sure how I feel about it yet but Chris Hardwick's stupid out loud question about if anyone else (any other GUY) had a hard on was ... No me gusta!

This ranks up there with The Following when they were telling that little boy that if he killed his hamster he'd be special and it would feel good. ...

I noticed that the WD crew member didn't mention it on TTD too. That is why I asked.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes
Here's my review of this episode:

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members
The writing in this episode was so abysmal I thought I was watching something else entirely...

"You saved my wifes life on purpose in order to SHAME me and make my wife love YOU instead!"

"LIES!! Prepare to die!!!!"

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Well, I agree about loving Milton(though I found him intriguing before he ever showed a backbone), but please, no, don't make him a "warrior"! Why must every liked character turn into a ninja, Michonne or Andrea-like character? That is a good arc for characters, but I get so tired of everyone being these super-awesome walker killers that have both strength of character and the ability to kick some serious ass! I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to defend himself, but I seriously do not understand the fascination with every character becoming Buffy. Some people are never going to be natural or skilled fighters. Characters like Milton add layers and interest to the show because they aren't like the macho, physically capable characters. Sorry, not trying to ream you out...I just really disagree. :lol:

+1 I agree. I expect Milton's equivalent of turning into Buffy being growing a backbone and being able to speak up for himself.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes

That kill whistle of Phillip's is the same tune he played for Penny.

Ugh.

Also, was that a speculum I saw among TG's torture tools? I watched twice and it looked like it both times.

UGH!

Andrea is easily the most efficient walker-killer.

She had a pocket knife and laid waste to all in her path.

I love how Andrea is a genius when it comes to being a fighter, but then when she sits down and has to judge a situation she's like, "how is decisions made???"

Let's keep her running forever!

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

That kill whistle of Phillip's is the same tune he played for Penny. I haven't been here long enough to see if anyone else has posted it's history. It's from the eighteenth century, an English song called Bye, Baby Bunting. Creepy how he took such an innocent lullaby and has warped it.

After what TG said to Milton about Michonne and Penny, I am not surprised he is whistling a song he whistled to her. His torture chamber is where he plans to avenge Penny's death--just once he gets through with Andrea.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
Pretty cool episode tonight.
I've read on the first page of this topic that Laurie Holden said on ttd that Andrea never told the gov that Judith was probably Shane's daughter. If thats true then how could he know that?

Anyways, Andrea was a complete badass during the chase scene. I hope the incomming rape won't ruin her character even more because she's got potential.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

The episode was good, just seems like they are dragging it on now until the finale anyway, what a stupid flashback. Added absolutely nothing NOTHING to the episode. It was misplaced completely. Why would they give us a flashback of michonne and andrea in an episode like this? I mean it would make much more sense to give us a flashback with the governor, that would be the most logical decision. They have a chance to show what kind of man he was and how he rose to power but instead we get andrea and michonne chilling in the wood.

I said this before, this is my favorite show on TV, but the writing and decision making is not the best. Governor has one eye but can somehow spot andrea laying down in the middle of the field and some how magically appearing in the right place to find her right before rick notices her. Come on man.

Season 4 better have much better writing.

I have to agree on the flashback. It didn't really answer any questions or give us much insight into their relationship.

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members
Episode was suspenseful as intended, so it was good in that regard. The whistling was pretty damn cheesy though....Creepy yes. Cheesy? Even more so. And the Michonne flashback seemed really unnecessary. If it HAD to be used this episode, it would've made more sense to just leave it on the cutting room floor. I laughed at Milton's insincere "I hope you find out who did this". Man, that was a cold middle finger to the Governor. LOVED it. I swear though, the writer's have some obsession with filling every role in the show if someone moves onto a new one. Andrea isn't a gullible idiot anymore so I guess Tyreese had to fill in that niche? It's like every conversation the Guv has with someone goes like this:

Governor: (insert bullshit here)
Other Person: *dubious stare for 4 seconds*.......durrrrrr OKAY.

Seriously, it's getting old. Also, P.S: someone kill Allen already. Such an annoying character.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

I've read on the first page of this topic that Laurie Holden said on ttd that Andrea never told the gov that Judith was probably Shane's daughter. If thats true then how could he know that?

Yeah that was a bunch of horse shit. Sorry, Laurie Holden, I'm not buying it.

Side note: Todd McFarlane seemed like a pretty cool dude but Jesus Christ does that guy look like a complete slimeball. I could smell his cologne coming out of the TV.

BeardedOne

BeardedOne

Roamer

• Members

Maybe there was someone
else who saw Shane and Lori
regarding their
liason after the ZA.
Either that or it was aliens.

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
I thought this episode was relatively OK. Absolutely cannot stand how nobody explains the screamer pits to Tyreese and co en route. C'mon show. Martinez is driving newcomers to retrieve some zombies out of that pit full of zombies they keep. Nobody thought that required an explanation? Nobody asked where they were going?

Lucille Of Sanctuary

Lucille Of Sanctuary

Infected

• Members
  • LocationOregon
As far as Allen is concerned, I think that tonight's episode for him was about the fact that he's projecting his feelings of inadequacy onto Tyresse. I doubt Tyresse slept with Donna. Allen just can't handle that Tyresse could save Donna when he couldn't and irrationally hates Tyresse for it. With that said, I think its only a matter of time before Allen tried to screw Tyresse over whenver he felt he was in a safe place to be able to do so. Even if Donna was alive and Woodbury faced no threats or war, Allen would try to take Tyresse out.

With that said, Allen and Ben can't be long for the world with the way they acted in this episode.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
For those not getting the flashback at the beginning I rewatched it and now I'm more convinced it was supposed underscore what made Andrea decide the only solution left was to kill the Gov. Michonne told Andrea not to be sorry for her walkers because "they deserved what they got, they weren't human to begin with." Same could be said for the Gov. Andrea shouldn't feel remorse or attachment to whom she thought the Gov was because he was never truly that person to begin with. In fact if anything the Gov has shown he is as inhuman as the walkers because he has the same amount of compassion and consideration for human life, its nothing to him. Like most things in TWD this season, I feel as it could have been executed better. They never did really tie it in all that well but I think it matches up with what Andrea was going through to a tee. It seemed to really hit home once she saw his torture chamber, that this is a person beyond redemption and she was resolved in what she had to do. Unfortunately, Milton has yet to understand this.

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
I didn't care for this episode that much; it was just filler

1. The opening scene with Michonne and Andrea served no purpose.

2. Andrea opening the door and letting all the walkers loose on Thursday Governor was the only semi-badass thing she's done all season.

3. The Tyreese scenes were good.

4. I was surprised at the last minute of the show to see that they're going the Michonne route with Andrea. Totally didn't expect that.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

For those not getting the flashback at the beginning I rewatched it and now I'm more convinced it was supposed underscore what made Andrea decide the only solution left was to kill the Gov. Michonne told Andrea not to be sorry for her walkers because "they deserved what they got, they weren't human to begin with." Same could be said for the Gov. Andrea shouldn't feel remorse or attachment to whom she thought the Gov was because he was never truly that person to begin with. In fact if anything the Gov has shown he is as inhuman as the walkers because he has the same amount of compassion and consideration for human life, its nothing to him. Like most things in TWD this season, I feel as it could have been executed better. They never did really tie it in all that well but I think it matches up with what Andrea was going through to a tee. It seemed to really hit home once she saw his torture chamber, that this is a person beyond redemption and she was resolved in what she had to do. Unfortunately, Milton has yet to understand this.

I have to agree on the flashback. It didn't really answer any questions or give us much insight into their relationship.

My theory is that since Glen Mazzara was always so vocal about no flashbacks TPTB ran this one up real quick and tacked it on just to make him spin in his grave. I mean it's what I would do. However most folks aren't as much an a##hole as me and may have been able to resist that one last "F##k You," so I could be wrong. :srug:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Shambo

Shambo

S-mart Employee

• Members

2. Andrea opening the door and letting all the walkers loose on Thursday Governor was the only semi-badass thing she's done all season.

Luckily for Woodbury, they still have Friday Governor. :zombiethumbsup:

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members

1. I think the opener with Michonne and Andrea served no purpose.

Correct. Sorry to go off and be me, everybody. Let me think of a few things I liked about this episode first...

1) For what I honestly think is literally the first time the show has successfully exhibited a nice bit of character subtlety, I absolutely loved how Rick discounted what he thought he saw in the woods. It was just so.....again, surprisingly subtle.

2) It was really cool to see The Governor setting up those chains. For all the complaining I do, just that little exciting moment of ripped-straight-from-the-comics, same context and everything, will sustain me for a little longer...

3) I really hope the origin of the tune The Gov is whistling is never explained - just let it be something creepy this guy does as he goes crazier and crazier. I suspect it will eventually be explained, and it'll be something really lame and on-the-nose like a music box Penny once gave him or something, but for now I can enjoy it as it is.

But that flashback scene. Awful, awful, awful. Thankfully it really has nothing to do with anything, but god. Who in the world says, in the middle of the ZA, 'hey so where'd you get those zombies from'?

Iis Hungree

Iis Hungree

Infected

• Members
Voted Excellent. This episode had me on the edge of my seat, after a very long time. Oh so love Andrea this episode. Please let her make it through this ordeal TPTB. This is the Andrea I want to see more of.
I screamed at my TV when Rick thought he saw something. I really thought Andrea was going to make it, or at least that Rick would save her.
I think Tyreese is beginning to realise that Woodbury is trouble, only, now he needs to work out what to do with this knowledge. He has heard Andrea and probably knows that they won't just get to up and leave.
Great suspense and the Governor's torture chamber and those shackles really gave me chills. And seeing Andrea tied there in the end... with all those weird instruments, I don't know what I feel. I want to know what he does and yet I do not. I dunno if that makes any sense. UGH!
Next episode is going to make me sick, I know that much, and yet I cannot wait for it... Whew

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Kinda like the napalming of Atlanta in season two?

Or the scene where Lori is talking about her marital woes outside Carl's school, also in season two?

I think this flashback did more than those other flashbacks we've seen in the past.

The flashbacks in season two didn't reveal much about characters that we didn't already know. Tonight's flashback at least gave a clue about Michonne's relationship to the walkers- a teaser that left us wanting to know more.

Bingo.

IMO this is the first flashback I can remember that served any real purpose.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Zombeemom

Zombeemom

Lurker

• Members
The more I think about it, the more I think the flashback had something to do with Andrea seeing the difference in Michionne envisioned the walkers vs how the gov envisioned Penny. The flashback showed that Michionne had known them before she cut off their arms and jaws. It showed the pain she felt from her loss, but that she used them to her benefit while keeping them. The gov had his little conversation with Milton about Penny still being Penny even though she was a zombie. Andrea knew that he kept her alive hoping to find that spark of his daughter, he kept her for totally irrational reasons.

Paradiselost

Paradiselost

Infected

• Members
I liked the episode, had to suspend disbelief at the end where he comes out of nowhere to nab Andrea, definitely frustrating. Things we learned
The big bad governor is so full of crap it's not even funny
Definitely no spies on the roads that Merle had said were tracking the prison
I believe Milton used to work with the governor and maybe was bullied at work and that's why he had to telecommute. The gov prob protected him and I'm guessing Milton was his first follower leading to his God complex and that's why Milton is so important to the gov

Wish tyrese would just trust his instincts and get Sasha back to the prison. When he was talking about leave the kids and babies alone and Martinez said stfu its none of your business he should know where things stand.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!