The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 - Prey - Review

the governor andrea tyreses sasha

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 Prey Rate and Review (214 )

What did you think of this week's show?

1. Excellent (100 [46.73%])

46.73%

2. Good - Some Critiques (88 [41.12%])

41.12%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (19 [8.88%])

8.88%

4. Poor (7 [3.27%])

3.27%

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
from what i understand the guv appears as a sychopath in the comic series. however in the show many, including myself, believe we see the guvs decent into madness. from what i have seen thus far there is no evidence to support that the guv was much different than Rick himself. in fact i feel it is not chance that the guv and Rick's decent into madness arrived at the same time.

i feel that saying the guv is just now expressing a preconditioned mental illness does a large injustice to a well concieved example of the mental toll living in the
ZA can produce

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

from what i understand the guv appears as a sychopath in the comic series. however in the show many, including myself, believe we see the guvs decent into madness. from what i have seen thus far there is no evidence to support that the guv was much different than Rick himself. in fact i feel it is not chance that the guv and Rick's decent into madness arrived at the same time.

i feel that saying the guv is just now expressing a preconditioned mental illness does a large injustice to a well concieved example of the mental toll living in the
ZA can produce

I don't see it as being so much about mental illness. It's just a classic hero/ villain relationship. Two men faced with extraordinary circumstances find themselves in a position of power. Rick thinks that his job is to protect- the governor thinks that his job is to rule and control.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I think of the governor as a kind of sleeper-agent. Only in his case, a sleeper-sociopath which was only able to come into being in the event of an apocalypse like this. Otherwise he would have just kept strolling along in his previous life, whistling without the sinister overtones, blissfully unaware of what a monster he is capable of being.

+1. I totally agree. People forget Milton said he knew the Gov pre-ZA and he was not like this. I do believe Milton to be naive but I don't think he would have developed so much loyalty to him had the Gov always had cruel tendencies. I see the Gov's progression into madness like Shane's. Both probably had characteristics pre-ZA that may have predisposed them to their behavioral reactions in ZA.

I do agree with Dr Cank that the Gov seems more hollow now and there is less depth to him as the show progresses. I don't think its because he is following certain stereotypical villain conventions though, I think its due to him coming off as invincible most of the time. His most vulnerable moments are with Penny and his confrontation with Michonne, however there have been more moments such as the various shoot outs he was involved in where he seemed untouchable. The more invincible a character seems usually takes a toll on their believably.

DirtyDeeJay

DirtyDeeJay

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationEngland
Did anyone else find the gov's whistle hauntingly beautiful? Also sad at the same time as it was the same riff from the song he used to sing to Penny!

Herschel Infinite Ammo Cheat: R2, R2, L1, R2, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP, LEFT, DOWN, RIGHT, UP.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

+1. I totally agree. People forget Milton said he knew the Gov pre-ZA and he was not like this. I do believe Milton to be naive but I don't think he would have developed so much loyalty to him had the Gov always had cruel tendencies. I see the Gov's progression into madness like Shane's. Both probably had characteristics pre-ZA that may have predisposed them to their behavioral reactions in ZA.

I do agree with Dr Cank that the Gov seems more hollow now and there is less depth to him as the show progresses. I don't think its because he is following certain stereotypical villain conventions though, I think its due to him coming off as invincible most of the time. His most vulnerable moments are with Penny and his confrontation with Michonne, however there have been more moments such as the various shoot outs he was involved in where he seemed untouchable. The more invincible a character seems usually takes a toll on their believably.

Did Milton say Pre-ZA? Or did he say that he wasn't always like this? I believe it was the latter.

Regarding his invincibility, I think they are trying to show that it is his ego driving him. He thinks he is untouchable, that is why he takes such risks. It does make it hard to suspend belief, though, when bullets are flying right past him.

TheDalkingWead

TheDalkingWead

S-mart Employee

• Members

ZA can produce

I completely agree with this. I don't think The Gov was a lunatic before. Morrissey has been clear about that. He was a normal middle-aged guy with a boring job and a daughter he loved. The show has shown that the majority of men in group leadership positions on the show end up losing it mentally (Rick, Shane, CDC guy, and Morgan) but the tipping point will either push them to a good or bad side. Who knows, if someone had offed Lori instead of her dying in childbirth Rick may have gone to a much darker place. Shane was a nice guy before (or else Rick wouldn't have had such a strong bromance with him) but the love triangle made his rage into an evil, selfish one. The Governor honestly saw what Michonne did as murder. Before he committed murder as an act of protection of supplies and people....now he does it out of an evil rage. Feeling revenge might be normal for any person but its the act and torture that shows he has been shoved completely off the psycho ledge.

The invincibility I feel is just him showing that he does not give a flip about anything anymore. He literally will go down to the last man standing because he has nothing to live for anymore...not even a moral obligation to his own people that I do believe he once held.

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

Did Milton say Pre-ZA? Or did he say that he wasn't always like this? I believe it was the latter.

Ah right, but Kirkman said in an interview that Milton and the Gov had a history. A bit ambiguous in its wording but a 'history' usually implies a good deal of time in knowing each other or at least knowing each other in a capacity other than their present roles in Woodbury. It would be a good bet then to say that meant pre-Woodbury, if not extending to pre-ZA as well since Woodbury seemed to be established pretty quickly if they took in Merle. That's why I'm taking Milton's statement to mean pre-ZA, could be wrong but we'll see. Kirkman hinted that they would be exploring their relationship more so hopefully we will get more back story on this.

Regarding his invincibility, I think they are trying to show that it is his ego driving him. He thinks he is untouchable, that is why he takes such risks. It does make it hard to suspend belief, though, when bullets are flying right past him.

Exactly. That's the thing though it makes it cartoonish when he's in the middle of gunfire not covered but still not even getting clipped. I get what the writers are trying to do but its been hit and miss with this for them. The Gov thinks he is invincible enough to resist automatic gunfire hailing down around him yet he hides a gun under the table and is ready to use it on Rick, a single man with a pistol? I understand it was closer range but where was his ego cloak of invincibility then? I feel like there was a lot of proposed directions to take the Gov in and instead of choosing one they missmashed a bunch together. I felt he was stronger in the beginning but now he is kind of this hodgepodge super villain.

babyMOMMAdrama

babyMOMMAdrama

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania
Nice to see a little Tyreese development. I really hope he joins up with the prison group and makes it until next season. That's one badass group if he does.

I actually felt bad for Andrea (didn't know that was possible).

And Rick seeing Andrea for a split second and thinking he was seeing stuff again was a pretty tragic scene.

tumblr_m1rp5h24o21qkfmjl.gif

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

I am glad you questioned this also. I am left with the impression that milton met the Phillip post-ZAE. Milton once alluded to the fact that he didn't really have friends prior to the ZA, you would think he would have indicated if he knew Phillip, Milton seems to talk alot. I think Milton met may have been with Phillip before woodbury and definatley before the Guv.

As for the invincibility, I like how Blasko_Z was referencing the Guvs willingness to die. The Guv will not just give up on life but at the same time he has lost his will to live. He is waiting for death but will never give up fighting ( which maybe why is is such a good fighter).

steve67

steve67

Infected

• Members
Tyreese, I think is playing the governor well. and I really think he's just trying to figure out how he's going to get out of there without him and his girl getting killed . I also think Martinez is the 1 who torch to the Wd. although we could get a big surprise and it's Morgan just my guess

DeadInDetroit

DeadInDetroit

Lurker

• Members

I really enjoyed watching the episode, but it didn't quite cross the finish line into excellent with me.

Please bear in mind I have never read the comics and judge this only as a tv series.

I liked the chains as a segue between past and present and emphasizing the lack of humanity. there was also a certain character exposition in the Gov testing the manacles lengths and dangling in his own crazy, but taking satisfaction from it.

Andrea stayed absolutely true to character (and he pre-collapse career), and in fact only truly committed to the Gov's death (or warning Michonne as an alternate) when she saw what the Gov was planning. She wants a just society and a rose colored world.

The hunt was okay, I had no problem with the Gov spotting or chasing Andrea. Clever or not, in an infested area there's only so many direct routes to the prison, and speed is fairly important since she's aware of the Gov's impending attack. He could check one or two routes and watch the tree lines for her. The cat and mouse was fun, I kept thinking Die Hard when Gov smashed the glass in the prison. I did like Andrea opening up the Walkers on the Gov, but missed where she stashed herself when she opened the door...behind it?

I would think the Gov would bring the keys with him, just my .02.

This tends to lend to one of my rants about Walkers though, and it's becoming a little more frequent on the show. Stand still against a tree making no noise and they materialize suddenly all around you and attack. Walk through their lair whistling nursery rhymes, dragging and pounding a shovel, maybe even pop a cap in ten or so of them and...no local swarms or individuals come a-looking? A moving vehicle honking it's horn should have drawn attention FROM Andrea, not to her.

Catching Andrea was contrived, but it showcased Rick's vulnerability towards knowing reality from hallucination, if only ever so tacitly. I LOVED not knowing what happened to her afterwards for a bit. Was she a corpse, a walker, left to die tied up? Nope, she ended up in the very chair that convinced her it's time to kill the Gov or flee. It is a very disgusting thing, and now that the fate is implied it's my hope they don't delve into this particular madness a lot. Implication and clever filming will get them a lot farther than brutal, SAW like footage. As horrific a scene as she's in, she did NOT look resigned or defeated in her eyes. Scared, but NOT out of control terrified.

Perhaps the Gov was wounded, perhaps not. It won't make him more desperate or crazy, it just alters his timetable a bit.

The Walkers burning was a mix for me. I DID think Tyreese did it at first, but was curious as to how he could've pulled that one off. Then I went towards Milton...but honestly I don't think he could do it either without being caught. With his rep, he couldn't just go out of the place at dusk, alone, in a vehicle. No one fears him or hesitates to question him.

Martinez could. He's the alpha male. I don't believe he had an attack of conscience, but if he wants to replace the Gov, he's got to handle the Gov's people. Andrea had fled, Merle has defected, most of the Govs loyal people will go to the prison to fight, maybe die. The Gov is unhinged and they all know it. this is a great way to set up Milton to be removed from the equation (yes he's weak, but he's loyal even when questioning the Gov. He'd make Martinez's coup hard or impossible). They could have brought the trailer back when they were done, but they didn't. It looked full enough. Why return later with only one guy? Tyreese gave him an opportunity and he took it. Possibly.

It didn't surprise me the returning henchman didn't kill the burned walkers. There's no reason to.

Other rant, the BBQ Walker pit. I have no problem with them being able to do limited movements, but if you were that charred for that long (and don't close your eyes) then eyeballs are probably not in the equation anymore, at least not the baby blues we saw staring up at us. Again, not knowing specifically how the physiology of Walkers ends up, I can't say how that would work out.

Great point about Andrea ending up in the same chair she was lookin at when she realized TG must die! Didnt really think of that aspect but now im thinkin they shouldve shot the scene different. It wouldve been better (IMO) if they came up with the camera an first shown Andrea in the chair from the view her an Milton first saw...wouldve been a little cooler to me

About the eyeballs, thats one thing i dislike about this site lmao everyone points out little mistakes/inconsistencies that i dont always see haha

Double Tap

Double Tap

S-mart Employee

• Members

ZA can produce

The difference is Rick wouldn't create a torcher chamber. He also wouldn't capture zombies and use them to try to kill others. Even though Rick is going crazy he still has much more humanity than the Gov does. The Governor will do whatever it takes to get his way mean while Rick still gives a damn about human life.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I am glad you questioned this also. I am left with the impression that milton met the Phillip post-ZAE. Milton once alluded to the fact that he didn't really have friends prior to the ZA, you would think he would have indicated if he knew Phillip, Milton seems to talk alot. I think Milton met may have been with Phillip before woodbury and definatley before the Guv.

As for the invincibility, I like how Blasko_Z was referencing the Guvs willingness to die. The Guv will not just give up on life but at the same time he has lost his will to live. He is waiting for death but will never give up fighting ( which maybe why is is such a good fighter).

I am more inclined to think that it was post-ZA, as well. I believe one of the reasons that Milton has been loyal to the Guv for much longer than he should have is because he knows that he would have never survived the ZA on his own, so he was grateful to the Guv. I also believe that Milton thought (in the earlier days) that some of the Guv's nastier deeds (like the Natl. Guardsmen) were done for the greater good, so he complied with most of the Guv's orders.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

I am more inclined to think that it was post-ZA, as well. I believe one of the reasons that Milton has been loyal to the Guv for much longer than he should have is because he knows that he would have never survived the ZA on his own, so he was grateful to the Guv. I also believe that Milton thought (in the earlier days) that some of the Guv's nastier deeds (like the Natl. Guardsmen) were done for the greater good, so he complied with most of the Guv's orders.

I agree, though I don't think Milton even knew about what happened to the military guys.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

The difference is Rick wouldn't create a torcher chamber. He also wouldn't capture zombies and use them to try to kill others. Even though Rick is going crazy he still has much more humanity than the Gov does. The Governor will do whatever it takes to get his way mean while Rick still gives a damn about human life.

my point is maybe someone would have said the same thing about the guv 6 months ago. if hershel and daryl were dead, how long would it take rick to become the guv? especially if had had 50 plus lives to be responsible for.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

my point is maybe someone would have the same thing about the guv 6 months ago. if hershel and daryl were dead, how long would it take rick to become the guv? especially if had had 50 plus lives to be responsible for.

The big difference there would be how much enjoyment the two get out of their positions. I believe the Governor has been very pleased with himself since the ZA started, and is relishing the power he has obtained. Rick, on the other hand, has had nothing but contempt for the state of the world and his place in it. Both are effective leaders who share some striking similarities, but where they differ is what matters here.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I agree, though I don't think Milton even knew about what happened to the military guys.

That could be true but I am sure he knows about some of the more heinous acts the Guv has committed. I am still convinced that the helicopter pilot head was not a zombie. So, he most likely knew about that. I also think that what happened to the military guys wasn't the first time, the Guv took such drastic actions to obtain weapons or supplies.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

The big difference there would be how much enjoyment the two get out of their positions. I believe the Governor has been very pleased with himself since the ZA started, and is relishing the power he has obtained. Rick, on the other hand, has had nothing but contempt for the state of the world and his place in it. Both are effective leaders who share some striking similarities, but where they differ is what matters here.

I do think in many ways the guv feels that he is better suited for his current role in the world than he was for his previous role. as for his obvious pride, it would feel great to finally be appriciated for the contributions one makes. don't forget the other differences between rick and the guv. on the grand scheme of things the guv has been successful, rick has managed to barely survive and the guv has nothing else to lose, rick is not there yet

Double Tap

Double Tap

S-mart Employee

• Members

my point is maybe someone would have said the same thing about the guv 6 months ago. if hershel and daryl were dead, how long would it take rick to become the guv? especially if had had 50 plus lives to be responsible for.

Rick doesn't let power get in his head. I don't see Rick becoming like that. He's more likely to become depressed and live in a room by himself then become maniacal. He also won't stoop down to those levels where principles are at stake. If people are good to him he won't betray them, and he has yet to ask of anyone to go out of their way to kill anyone that doesn't deserve it. Rick cares about people and the Gov. really doesn't.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Rick doesn't let power get in his head. I don't see Rick becoming like that. He's more likely to become depressed and live in a room by himself then become maniacal. He also won't stoop down to those levels where principles are at stake. If people are good to him he won't betray them, and he has yet to ask of anyone to go out of their way to kill anyone that doesn't deserve it. Rick cares about people and the Gov. really doesn't.

Exactly. One of the reasons that Rick is boarding the bus to crazytown is because he does care deeply for the people he leads. He has taken every death and every failure the group has had, as his own fault and he is finally at his breaking point. That is a big difference from the Guv's actions.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

All good points. Also, background figures in here, I think a lot. In his pre-ZA life, Philip was a frustrated corporate drone who had to suck it up and kiss his boss's rear end. That can build up all kinds of resentment and pent up rage. Without the rule of law, all of that is allowed to flourish and emerge. He's trying to prove something to himself and take revenge on the world that beat him down previously, so the ZA world has become his sadistic little playground. Rick's background, however, involved a certain amount of afforded responsibility, power, and respect. As a law enforcement officer, he already had to learn to deal with that responsibility and to control his more base urges and serve for the greater good. I'm not saying that all police officers are like that... I've run into more than one with Governoresque chips on their shoulders, but Rick appears to have been one of the good ones. I think his background and history alone would steer him away from the Guv's path, with or without Herschel or Daryl.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC
^Rick is one of the good ones and that's why he's are hero. I think part of why I like to assume that the Guv was once a "good guy" and a "hero" is because it makes Rick's journey and desicions just that much more heroic. I consider myself to be a good guy, I help old ladies across the street, I hold doors for other people, I help stranded motorists, hell i was a boy scout. But I can't say with true certainty that I wouldn't become the Guv in a world as cut-throat as the ZA. I hope I would choose to walk a path similar to Rick but it is an awfully hard path to walk (plus Rick has been very lucky throughout the show, Karma?).

I guess the most fitting end for the Guv for me would be in a kick-back scene to the bicycle girl. Yes she's a monster but the world made her that way and it is a fate each one of us could share. I have a pitty and an admiration for the Guv. He has accomplished so much compared to any other group we have seen thus far but the world took his life from him and he is just to stubborn/driven to die.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

Exactly. One of the reasons that Rick is boarding the bus to crazytown is because he does care deeply for the people he leads. He has taken every death and every failure the group has had, as his own fault and he is finally at his breaking point. That is a big difference from the Guv's actions.

Rick has struggled and laughed with each one of the members in his group. The Guv has over seventy members in his group I would not expect the same connection. Rick stopped letting people into his group because it was to hard to watch them die. The Guv let people in his gates but not into his heart because it was to hard to watch them die. Another reason we know the Guv has known Milton for a long time is because the guv did let Milton into his heart. The Guv did once form strong bonds, it is the only thing that explains the Guvs repeated inabilty to kill Milton. Milton is of little use to the Guv now that Penny is "ditto-dead".

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members

I wouldn't quite consider the Gov and Milton "friends" now though either. They have a dictator-subordinate relationship. This may have been different in the beginning of course, but seeing as Woodbury had to be established pretty early on since the Gov recruited Merle, Philip would have had take on this "Gov" role almost since the beginning of ZA. Leaving not that much time for the Gov to go from normal to sociopath. I wonder if he was always this way and Milton just didn't see it. After all, Milton knows what he has done/wants to do and he still thinks the Gov is savable. Either he is extremely, extremely, naive or has some significant knowledge of Philip pre-Gov which probably means pre-ZA due to timeline. The kind of dedication Milton has to the Gov seems to be more than normal for just someone who is keeping him alive in ZA. Milton seemed to think Woodbury would still be around if the Gov died since he said Martinez would take over so he would still have security and his lab. He seemed more concerned with Andrea not shooting the Gov due to a deeper attachment.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members
Rick commands respect because he has earned it. He is not above being called out by his people when they think he is wrong. Ultimately, they know he has their best interests at heart and he is willing to put himself on the line to save them if need be. Despite the fact he is their leader, he is one of them.

The governor, on the other hand, sits in his quarters alone. Even its placement, high above the street is indicative of how aloof he really is. He doesn’t appear to be approachable by the rank and file Woodburians. He has minions who carry out his orders and for the most part, one would have to go through them to reach the governor. The people of Woodbury are his serfs. The governor demands respect and gets it through manipulation, obfuscation, and intimidation.
Putting out fire with gasoline.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!