The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 - Prey - Review

the governor andrea tyreses sasha

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 Prey Rate and Review (214 )

What did you think of this week's show?

1. Excellent (100 [46.73%])

46.73%

2. Good - Some Critiques (88 [41.12%])

41.12%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (19 [8.88%])

8.88%

4. Poor (7 [3.27%])

3.27%

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
I actually think TG has always been crazy but finally started letting it show when his wife died. In the previous episode, he described his work life with his boss. I can picture TG being slotted into a mediocre job and going through the motions of normalcy, fantasizing about sick ways to torture his boss but still harmless. Then his wife died and his first touchstone to normalcy - and restrictive entity - was lost. The world going to hell was his opportunity for power and vengeance against those who had discounted him. He could finally be the powerful man he always envisioned himself to be and justified the grab for power as an effort to rebuild with him as the leader. Penny wouldn't question his decisions like a wife would; she was a little girl.

After Penny was bitten, he was able to throw off more social restrictions and justify it as ways to keep Penny safe and to find a cure. Penny was the only thing he was proud of from his former life (as inferred in S3E6, "Hounded"). Walker-Penny was kept locked in the closet, not just to keep her a secret but to keep his actions a secret from her. When Penny was in the closet, he could do whatever he wanted and didn't have to worry about what his little girl would think. Penny was his last touchstone to normalcy and last restraint.

Once Michonne killed walker-Penny, he was freed from restrictions or boundaries. There is no one to answer to anymore. He can do as he pleases, finally. He uses vengeance as the excuse to release the madness that has always been there lurking in the background.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

You're correct in that he murdered people beforehand. I can't argue that point, and haven't done so in the past. Look to my comment above this one about my post being misinterpreted. I do not agree that he had plans to wipe the prison group out before Penny was killed. He may have been contemplating it, but we aren't given any evidence that he started planning that until after Rick's assault (the night Penny died). Again, I don't think we can say that he was doing those things "for no reason" as there were reasons given by the show, and further fleshed out by the community here.

I forget his exact quote but he said something along the lines "kill them all, let the biters move in." His only movie for planning that was because they were there and he didn't want the towns people to know about that.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I forget his exact quote but he said something along the lines "kill them all, let the biters move in." His only movie for planning that was because they were there and he didn't want the towns people to know about that.

There's also the other motive: that they were a threat to his power. It's a tribal mentality, but one that is still present in a lot of humans today. Most just aren't in a position to really act on it.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I actually think TG has always been crazy but finally started letting it show when his wife died. In the previous episode, he described his work life with his boss. I can picture TG being slotted into a mediocre job and going through the motions of normalcy, fantasizing about sick ways to torture his boss but still harmless. Then his wife died and his first touchstone to normalcy - and restrictive entity - was lost. The world going to hell was his opportunity for power and vengeance against those who had discounted him. He could finally be the powerful man he always envisioned himself to be and justified the grab for power as an effort to rebuild with him as the leader. Penny wouldn't question his decisions like a wife would; she was a little girl.

After Penny was bitten, he was able to throw off more social restrictions and justify it as ways to keep Penny safe and to find a cure. Penny was the only thing he was proud of from his former life (as inferred in S3E6, "Hounded"). Walker-Penny was kept locked in the closet, not just to keep her a secret but to keep his actions a secret from her. When Penny was in the closet, he could do whatever he wanted and didn't have to worry about what his little girl would think. Penny was his last touchstone to normalcy and last restraint.

Once Michonne killed walker-Penny, he was freed from restrictions or boundaries. There is no one to answer to anymore. He can do as he pleases, finally. He uses vengeance as the excuse to release the madness that has always been there lurking in the background.

This is a much more elaborate and thought-out explanation of what I was getting at. +1 for you for stating my point better than I ever could. Hahaha

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

For chrissakes, buck UP, man! ;) Um, considering that I would have been torn between puking and fainting in that situation, I think you're doing better than most of us.

Well TJ it was all going fine until I happened to look down at the juice collecting in the bottom of the stiff sack. That little part of my mind that usually just larks about and entertains itself while I work chose that moment to say "Hey, that stuff looks just like the gravy they put on a Salisbury steak in a Banquet TV Dinner." I tried to push that image away, but it just wouldn't go. As I said, I wasn't nearly as tough when I was a youngster. :mellow:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Well TJ it was all going fine until I happened to look down at the juice collecting in the bottom of the stiff sack. That little part of my mind that usually just larks about and entertains itself while I work chose that moment to say "Hey, that stuff looks just like the gravy they put on a Salisbury steak in a Banquet TV Dinner." I tried to push that image away, but it just wouldn't go. As I said, I wasn't nearly as tough when I was a youngster. :mellow:

I think that would make 99% of the population sick. You don't have to justify yourself to anybody.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Shane is the Man

Shane is the Man

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

So have you had any gravy after that?

Yo soy guajiro y carretero, y en el campo vivo bien, porque el campo es el Eden, mas lindo del mundo entero. 

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

So have you had any gravy after that?

Well, I did cross the Salisbury steak dinners off my shopping list after that. I can do the white sawmill gravy, but that's been almost thirty years, and I still can't stomach beef gravy. :lol:

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
This weeks episode could have been 2 hours long .....one being in the prison showing them going more than handing out the guns
I have been wondering why they was not trying to take back that middle area or securing the tombs.....
then the other hour "the prey" one. Just not enough info before this season ends......

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony
I wouldn't need to see the juices from a body bag to stop me from eating a Salisbury Steak Banquet TV Dinner....

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
Um, yeah lol.

But back in the day, that was fine dining baby!

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I wouldn't need to see the juices from a body bag to stop me from eating a Salisbury Steak Banquet TV Dinner....

You sir are correct but you gotta watch out on the mashed potatoes. They burn easily and god forbid you get a brownie and put it in there for the required cook time you get a brick to eat.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
My mom had a tradition of always cooking whatever we wanted for dinner on our birthdays. When I was five, I requested frozen dinners. She has never let me forget it.

BTW, those salisbury steaks are good if you're hungry enough. Hunger is the greatest seasoning.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

Well, your post makes it seem like this is a quick change that happened between one episode and the next. He has been sliding further and further down the slope of evil. His actions used to be (sort of) understandable from his position, but with each passing week, he just gets more evil, and his actions are losing a lot of perspective.

No, I know it was a slow progression but I guess the best cliche to use is:

"straw that broke the camels back" or maybe "Jump the shark".

Upto this week I could read the above posts like the ones ^Jayne23 and ^That_Guy_From_NY and defend the Guvs actions. I could give some explanation that provided some sort of justification that a logical mind would perform such actions in an understandable ZA mind set. But know (much I like I notice you doing) I can only defend his past actions. Though his past actions were mostly wrong (evil, sinister, your choice) they could be interpreted as the actions of an individual trying to survive in a world in which you are not supposed to survive. And that some form of logic (twisted as it maybe ) was in use.

I guess after Prey I can't see his cause and effect. I don't know his character just seems more hollow. There is a possibility that many viewers were not trying to find reasoning earlier in the season. So maybe he always looked one-sided too many but I liked the character because he was the most grey. Even though we meet him at a deep dark shade of grey it wasn't to hard to imagen how he got there.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Upto this week I could read the above posts like the ones ^Jayne23 and ^That_Guy_From_NY and defend the Guvs actions. I could give some explanation that provided some sort of justification that a logical mind would perform such actions in an understandable ZA mind set. But know (much I like I notice you doing) I can only defend his past actions. Though his past actions were mostly wrong (evil, sinister, your choice) they could be interpreted as the actions of an individual trying to survive in a world in which you are not supposed to survive. And that some form of logic (twisted as it maybe ) was in use.

I guess after Prey I can't see his cause and effect. I don't know his character just seems more hollow. There is a possibility that many viewers were not trying to find reasoning earlier in the season. So maybe he always looked one-sided too many but I liked the character because he was the most grey. Even though we meet him at a deep dark shade of grey it wasn't to hard to imagen how he got there.

Him having lost his direction is exactly what they are going for. You aren't seeing the actions of a logical mind, you are seeing the actions of a man who has lost his connection to the world, and who no longer sees anything worth living for. The guy wants death now, either his or someone else's, but in his mind, someone has to pay for what Michonne did to Penny, and Rick's group took her into their ranks, making them an extension of the enemy. If Penny were still alive, he would have wanted the prison group dead anyway, just for different reasons.

Back to him wanting his own death: I think he wants to be dead, but nothing in him will let him just go. He will die fighting these people, or they will die fighting him. He has been blinded by rage and his desire for revenge, and this has left him hollow. These primal emotions are all he has left, and removing them leaves him with nothing, which he will do everything he can to fight.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

This is what I truly love about this forum because your interpretation of the Guv past is completely different to mine. To me he was just an honest guy working a job he didn't like, being told what to do by bosses whom probably didn't know any better than him but were provided authority probably by inter-personal relations. He worked this job because he had mouths to feed not because he liked the work. It is amazing what the average person will drudge through in oreder to provide for his family.

Then the ZA occurs. He doesn't start out malicious, he starts out like the rest of them scared! But with a combination of luck and wise desicions he succeeds (e.g. lives). He picks up a few people along his way (maybe Milton), then he comes across Woodbury. I always assumed there were probably a few people already in the town and thats why he even stopped there. He was just one of many at this point, the group that were with him followed him because they trusted his judement. In Woodbury he suggested a few ideas on were to fortify and baracade, he had good insight about where to scavange. As a result people listened to him, jokingly called him the guv. then Penny died.....

he didn't become evil because of his past life, the ZA in many ways was a better fit for him but heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

Him having lost his direction is exactly what they are going for. You aren't seeing the actions of a logical mind, you are seeing the actions of a man who has lost his connection to the world, and who no longer sees anything worth living for. The guy wants death now, either his or someone else's, but in his mind, someone has to pay for what Michonne did to Penny, and Rick's group took her into their ranks, making them an extension of the enemy. If Penny were still alive, he would have wanted the prison group dead anyway, just for different reasons.

Yeah, wonderfull put...

Doesn't mean that it doesn't sucks that one of my favorite characters died the minute he started building the torture room. Now to me (and maybe the intent) the Guv (one of the most interesting studies in the show) is just the worlds most dangerous walker.

Back to him wanting his own death: I think he wants to be dead, but nothing in him will let him just go. He will die fighting these people, or they will die fighting him. He has been blinded by rage and his desire for revenge, and this has left him hollow. These primal emotions are all he has left, and removing them leaves him with nothing, which he will do everything he can to fight.

I agree with this second point completely. I feel he has been this way for a while. He ready to die but he can never give up. I love the juxtaposition between him and Andrea, In season two she whines about wanting to die but when faced with it she learns she wants to live. The Guv never complains about life but is waiting for a foe strong enough to take it away from him.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio

This is what I truly love about this forum because your interpretation of the Guv past is completely different to mine. To me he was just an honest guy working a job he didn't like, being told what to do by bosses whom probably didn't know any better than him but were provided authority probably by inter-personal relations. He worked this job because he had mouths to feed not because he liked the work. It is amazing what the average person will drudge through in oreder to provide for his family.

Then the ZA occurs. He doesn't start out malicious, he starts out like the rest of them scared! But with a combination of luck and wise desicions he succeeds (e.g. lives). He picks up a few people along his way (maybe Milton), then he comes across Woodbury. I always assumed there were probably a few people already in the town and thats why he even stopped there. He was just one of many at this point, the group that were with him followed him because they trusted his judement. In Woodbury he suggested a few ideas on were to fortify and baracade, he had good insight about where to scavange. As a result people listened to him, jokingly called him the guv. then Penny died.....

he didn't become evil because of his past life, the ZA in many ways was a better fit for him but heavy is the head that wears the crown.

I would bet that alot of the characters worked at jobs they hated before ZA/ they had boring low level no needs for life threatening decisions to make but they are not like this guy. Everyone mostly have lost loved ones and some more than one.
He has been raiding and killing all sorts of humans and he could care less about it. He enjoys pain on others.....this is all part of being a psychopath

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

I would bet that alot of the characters worked at jobs they hated before ZA/ they had boring low level no needs for life threatening decisions to make but they are not like this guy. Everyone mostly have lost loved ones and some more than one.
He has been raiding and killing all sorts of humans and he could care less about it. He enjoys pain on others.....this is all part of being a psychopath

I think he was always a psychopath. Probably was since birth. It's just the post-ZA world is a perfect playground for a psychopath like him.

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest

This is something I might be able to get behind. If he's simply doubting himself and his mind is failing him, it would explain why he's hesitant to take the actions he knows he should. His insanity would also explain his why he'd be taking the Guv's Michonne proposal seriously. Then again... insanity is kind of a flimsy plot device... you could have the character do literally anything and just excuse it with a "well he's crazy". But still Rick has been cracking because of the pressure... so in a high pressure situation like this one it might make sense for him to be afraid to act and be decisive despite the potential gain.

There are different kinds of crazy and they all have their own rules.

Rick's hallucinations were correct and were just as much from him not sleeping as they were from accumulated pressure, I think.

As long as they keep his psychotic experiences realistic, I'm good. I think it's about time we see realism in crazy people :zombie02:

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

I agree. The description of his life to Rick restated what he's been saying to Andrea all along. Funny you bring up Hounded because when he and Andrea are in the garden he says he'd rather not be anywhere else. Andrea was asking about his pre ZA interests. She said she found it hard to believe there wasn't anything he took pride in and he corrected her but never said what it was that he was proud of. Immediately after that he asked "How long has it been?" and acted flustered that it sounded like a come on. So he's thinking of what he was proud of and his next comment is about sex? I found that really interesting.

The he goes on to say "I'm happy to forget a lot and not just the bad stuff. I want to be here, right now. This glass in my hand the leaves in the breeze, talking to you" Andrea feels special "An audience with the Governor" "Ugh, let's stick with Phillip. I'm off the clock. You don't have to be ashamed of liking the fight or fighting the fight. I love it. It's not the only thing but nowadays it's part of being alive. Really alive. Most people don't have it, what it takes to see the whole story. Being able to live it, to use it. That's why there's a hell of a lot more of them than us" Andrea thinks he's talking about the reanimated dead people but I believe he's talking about other living people " Andrea asks "Us?" He continues "Yeah. Because you have it Andrea, you made it. So enjoy it. Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die."

Now I knew he was going to go bat crap crazy so I picked up on that right away. It's one thing for a torturer to be good at his work, it's another thing when he gets off on it. That's the realism here, for me. He's living for the first time. I wonder how he'd be diagnosed. Sociopath, egomaniac, sadist come to mind. What terms for Control Freak would be used, I wonder. And at this point he thinks Andrea can be a part of it with him, he's including her in his vision of the new world.

His attack on Maggie was him pushing the boundaries. He's had people under his control before and he's enjoyed it, this was the next escalation.

Penny did keep him tethered to the Pre ZA. Now he's using her death (Like he used his wife's death against Rick) for his own purposes. It's not revenge he wants so much as to live his new life completely and fully. Sick.

Ennywho, that's what I think.

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

Some people are just insane. Not all of them drool and eat table cloths. I think Phillip is an example of a sociopath who hadn't needed to cross any social boundaries. Not for the reasons the rest of us don't, but because it wasn't in his best interest before.

My mom as 72 and stroked out in a nursing home before she was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. That was fifteen years ago. Recently in talking to a psychologist she said some of my stories about my mom were consistent with Schizophrenic Delusions. Who knew? Crazy people aren't always fun funny or lovable but they are always interesting.

AndySnow

AndySnow

Infected

• Members
  • LocationManchester, UK
I think of the governor as a kind of sleeper-agent. Only in his case, a sleeper-sociopath which was only able to come into being in the event of an apocalypse like this. Otherwise he would have just kept strolling along in his previous life, whistling without the sinister overtones, blissfully unaware of what a monster he is capable of being.

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members
Given the gov's psychopathic tendencies, I'm assuming the background story he told Rick wasn't remotely true. He was just looking for an angle.

But the hypergraphia and other evidence they showed earlier in the season isn't really compatible with psychopathy. My guess is that is just inconsistent show writing, however.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Ok, I ran this by my good friend who is a forensic anthropologist. (No, he does not watch the show, but I'm working on him!) He said that during the first few months of the outbreak, yes, expecting skulls to implode like paper mache is unrealistic, but that after a year of essentially decomposing out in the elements, the bones throughout the body will become more porous as the skin rots away. Add to that an unknown pathogen that could speed the wasting process if the corpse does not feed adaquately, and easily perforated and/or shattered skulls are not only possible, but likely.

Not an expert myself, just relaying what the only expert I know had to say.

Brittle, maybe, but not squishy like the ones on the show are. I dunno..maybe human bones are somehow different from animal bones. I work in a cattle feedlot. Unfortunately, dealing with dead animals are a part of the job, so we have a "dead pit" half a mile away where we dump the carcasses(it is a big pit in the ground where the bodies are still exposed to the elements..and coyotes!). The bones of animals that have been dead for 1-2 years are still very hard..and if you do find any that are more fragile, they shatter or splinter rather than smushing. You wouldn't be able to break them just by stomping on them a few times. (though their bones are heavier of course)

I'm sure your friend knows what he is talking about though...I can't say I've ever tried to knife a year old human skull, or stamp on it for that matter.. :zombirolleye:

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!