The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 - Prey - Review

the governor andrea tyreses sasha

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 Prey Rate and Review (214 )

What did you think of this week's show?

1. Excellent (100 [46.73%])

46.73%

2. Good - Some Critiques (88 [41.12%])

41.12%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (19 [8.88%])

8.88%

4. Poor (7 [3.27%])

3.27%

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Why are we talking about Rick not shooting the Governor at the peace talk? Since that happened in the last episode, maybe we should move that conversation here.

There are lots of talking points for the episode Prey. There's no reason to hijack the thread to talk about something that should have happened in Arrow on the Doorpost.

My apologies.

8-Ball

8-Ball

Lurker

• Members
Sorry if this has already been said, but i have a theory on the whistling. I think the purpose of the gov whistling in the torture chamber and the abandon building was to let Andrea know he was there.

Maybe the Gov is a sick son of a bitch and just likes to whistle while he kills, but i really feel like he did that to let Andrea know that he knew she was spying on him in the torture chamber.

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I'm not sure if I'm right but isn't that the same tune as Penny's kid song he played on the CD player? May just be me

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

he did that to let Andrea know she was spying on him in the torture chamber.

I think Andrea was aware that she was spying on him. Hahaha ;)

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I'm not sure if I'm right but isn't that the same tune as Penny's kid song he played on the CD player? May just be me

I believe someone in another thread double-checked and confirmed that it was.

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
On nice! I thought it sounded fimilar to me. That just makes him creepier for sure.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

On nice! I thought it sounded fimilar to me. That just makes him creepier for sure.

Indeed. There is something deeply unnerving about his choice of song there.

8-Ball

8-Ball

Lurker

• Members

I think Andrea was aware that she was spying on him. Hahaha ;)

hey i edited it!

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

hey i edited it!

Haha, I was just taking the piss there. I get what you are saying, and he could very well have known that she was watching him. That might be a little fact he drops on Andrea later during... whatever happens in that room. Just thinking about it is making me horribly sad. :(

Cammi

Cammi

S-mart Employee

• Members

I watch it for a bunch of reasons. 1) it has so much potential to be an amazing show and I genuinely want it to realize it's potential and still think it has a chance 2) I watch it for episodes like Seed, Sick, Killer Within and Clear 3) despite it's flaws I still find the show generally entertaining 4) I watch it with family 5) I've read the comics so not watching the show would be like not watching a Harry Potter movie. 6) it's the only zombie show on TV... I think I'll stop there.

So what exactly are you looking for?????

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

Thank you. I kind of got caught up in that myself.

My apologies.

No biggie. Rick not shooting the Governor seems to be a sticking point for some people. Myself and the rest of the Moderating Team would prefer to keep that talk where it belongs. :)
"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

Ok, I ran this by my good friend who is a forensic anthropologist. (No, he does not watch the show, but I'm working on him!) He said that during the first few months of the outbreak, yes, expecting skulls to implode like paper mache is unrealistic, but that after a year of essentially decomposing out in the elements, the bones throughout the body will become more porous as the skin rots away. Add to that an unknown pathogen that could speed the wasting process if the corpse does not feed adaquately, and easily perforated and/or shattered skulls are not only possible, but likely.

Not an expert myself, just relaying what the only expert I know had to say.

I bow to your guy's experience. The few bodies I had to deal with in that condition, I was too busy holding my breath, shoving them into the bag, and trying not to dribble the gooey stuff on myself to have much curiosity about the consistency of the bones. I know! I know! As a true zombie fan, I should have shown more dedication. :blush: Can you all forgive my negligence? I was young and foolish at the time. :(

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

No biggie. Rick not shooting the Governor seems to be a sticking point for some people. Myself and the rest of the Moderating Team would prefer to keep that talk where it belongs. :)

That is very understandable.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

I bow to your guy's experience. The few bodies I had to deal with in that condition, I was too busy holding my breath, shoving them into the bag, and trying not to dribble the gooey stuff on myself to have much curiosity about the consistency of the bones. I know! I know! As a true zombie fan, I should have shown more dedication. :blush: Can you all forgive my negligence? I was young and foolish at the time. :(

For chrissakes, buck UP, man! ;) Um, considering that I would have been torn between puking and fainting in that situation, I think you're doing better than most of us.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

My other quibble is that the Governor has devolved into a cartoony, sterotypical villain of no subtlety or depth. He could have been much more.

I agree. Previously I have always been able to at least partialy defend the Guvs actions (much to the chagrin of many others on the forum). But they have finally done it, after this episode the Guv is just the another "evil villan". We no longer need concern ourselves with why he does something because after all he's just the bad guy.

"He did it because he's crazy" I have argued against this line for an entire season but from here on out it applies. I personnaly hate the decision to portray the Guv in this light but it seems like the Comic-cons finally got what they have been trying to make this character all along. I could make some kind of LUke/Darth reference here but F**k It. The writers of the world have yet again stripped another character of all his depth. to paraphrase/add to BWR previous comment "HERE'S........... PHILLIP"

Dr Cank

Dr Cank

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationWNC

I have never been an Andrea fan but after reading your analysis, I like her more. While she has her flaws, in many ways she is a very strong woman and she's certainly a capable zombie fighter. As an outsider, it is easy to criticize her for falling under the Woodbury spell. She thought she had found a safe place and wanted to believe in it, so she justified the warning signs. She likes strong men so her attractions to Shane and TG are understandable. If Shane hadn't been so obsessed with Lori, Andrea and Shane would have made a good couple. TG appeared to be strong but is merely very adept at hiding his insanity, at least until he completely lost his grip. While I still find her annoying most of the time, I have a lot more respect for her now.

I think Andrea likes the idea of controling a strong man (if not subconsciously). What's that line from My Big Fat Greek Weeding: "Men may be the head of a family but women are the neck and they can turn the head in which ever direction they want" Andrea wants to be the neck.

Though she's more a pain in the neck <bahhh zing..> <_<

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I agree. Previously I have always been able to at least partialy defend the Guvs actions (much to the chagrin of many others on the forum). But they have finally done it, after this episode the Guv is just the another "evil villan". We no longer need concern ourselves with why he does something because after all he's just the bad guy.

"He did it because he's crazy" I have argued against this line for an entire season but from here on out it applies. I personnaly hate the decision to portray the Guv in this light but it seems like the Comic-cons finally got what they have been trying to make this character all along. I could make some kind of LUke/Darth reference here but F**k It. The writers of the world have yet again stripped another character of all his depth. to paraphrase/add to BWR previous comment "HERE'S........... PHILLIP"

Well, your post makes it seem like this is a quick change that happened between one episode and the next. He has been sliding further and further down the slope of evil. His actions used to be (sort of) understandable from his position, but with each passing week, he just gets more evil, and his actions are losing a lot of perspective. That is exactly how he is supposed to be viewed, in my mind, which goes hand-in-hand with many people in Woodbury waking up and realizing that they are being led by an unhinged lunatic. When you have fallen so far that one of your historically biggest defenders (Milton) is now actively plotting against you, you know your actions have lost all credibility.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Well, your post makes it seem like this is a quick change that happened between one episode and the next. He has been sliding further and further down the slope of evil. His actions used to be (sort of) understandable from his position, but with each passing week, he just gets more evil, and his actions are losing a lot of perspective. That is exactly how he is supposed to be viewed, in my mind, which goes hand-in-hand with many people in Woodbury waking up and realizing that they are being led by an unhinged lunatic. When you have fallen so far that one of your historically biggest defenders (Milton) is now actively plotting against you, you know your actions have lost all credibility.

I agree with you. He didn't just suddenly snap into full on crazy mode just like that, it was more of a gradual descent. I think what tipped him over the edge was Penny, I think that's when he lost his last grasp on sanity.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I agree with you. He didn't just suddenly snap into full on crazy mode just like that, it was more of a gradual descent. I think what tipped him over the edge was Penny, I think that's when he lost his last grasp on sanity.

This is my thinking, as well. Penny kept him grounded (or as close as he could be to the ground) and severing that tether unleashed a beast even more diabolical and sinister than most feared possible.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

This is my thinking, as well. Penny kept him grounded (or as close as he could be to the ground) and severing that tether unleashed a beast even more diabolical and sinister than most feared possible.

I'd have to disagree. He was already murdering people well before Michonne killed Penny and he already had the plans to massacre the prison for no reason. He's been crazy since he was introduced in walk with me. But I do think Penny's 'death' caused him to fixate on revenge.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

I agree, though I think Penny's death was the first thing that started him down the slippery slope. The hope that she could be cured (or that there was at least a spark of her in that biter child) was the only thing that kept him moderately grounded.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio
I really don't agree with that about Penny keeping him normal. I think he was still a psycho nutcase
Remember he sent a little hunting party after Michoone with instructions to Merle bring her head back
So this man was not right / remember his idea of normal day go out and slaughter a group of reserve military. Remember he thought torturing and being creeepy with maggie and glenn.....so I didn't see a normal man ever / his times with andrea was totally fake and mulitiplated for his own fun

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I really don't agree with that about Penny keeping him normal. I think he was still a psycho nutcase
Remember he sent a little hunting party after Michoone with instructions to Merle bring her head back
So this man was not right / remember his idea of normal day go out and slaughter a group of reserve military. Remember he thought torturing and being creeepy with maggie and glenn.....so I didn't see a normal man ever / his times with andrea was totally fake and mulitiplated for his own fun

I think my post may have been misinterpreted. I don't mean that the Governor was a normal guy before Penny's death at the hands of Michonne; I mean that that was the event that pushed him passed the point of no return. We, as viewers, have never seen a non-evil Governor, but he is getting more and more evil.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I'd have to disagree. He was already murdering people well before Michonne killed Penny and he already had the plans to massacre the prison for no reason. He's been crazy since he was introduced in walk with me. But I do think Penny's 'death' caused him to fixate on revenge.

You're correct in that he murdered people beforehand. I can't argue that point, and haven't done so in the past. Look to my comment above this one about my post being misinterpreted. I do not agree that he had plans to wipe the prison group out before Penny was killed. He may have been contemplating it, but we aren't given any evidence that he started planning that until after Rick's assault (the night Penny died). Again, I don't think we can say that he was doing those things "for no reason" as there were reasons given by the show, and further fleshed out by the community here.

Jayne23

Jayne23

Banned for sock puppeting

• Banned
  • LocationOhio

You're correct in that he murdered people beforehand. I can't argue that point, and haven't done so in the past. Look to my comment above this one about my post being misinterpreted. I do not agree that he had plans to wipe the prison group out before Penny was killed. He may have been contemplating it, but we aren't given any evidence that he started planning that until after Rick's assault (the night Penny died). Again, I don't think we can say that he was doing those things "for no reason" as there were reasons given by the show, and further fleshed out by the community here.

Oh I think he had full intention of killing people at the prison / he was torturing glenn and maggie to find out more and where they were at. He just didn't get to complete that mission.
He is walking 2 lines in this little town of WB before all hell broke out in WB when prison group came and rescued glenn and maggie / then came back for daryl
How much fun was he going to have with merle and daryl. He is not normal and probably was never normal

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!