The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 - Prey - Review

the governor andrea tyreses sasha

The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 14 Prey Rate and Review (214 )

What did you think of this week's show?

1. Excellent (100 [46.73%])

46.73%

2. Good - Some Critiques (88 [41.12%])

41.12%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (19 [8.88%])

8.88%

4. Poor (7 [3.27%])

3.27%

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationIn Lori's best interest

Out of genuine curiosity, when has Andrea or Michonne ever referred to the other as "best friends"? To me, it seems a lot of people are building up Andrea and Mich's pre-Woodbury relationship for the sole purpose of using it as ammunition against either one of them for abandoning the other. From what we have been shown, they were never close. Andrea even tells her in Woodbury that they have been on the road for months and she feels like she knows nothing about her. Mich seems just closed-off enough to where Andrea saw her as nothing more than a savior and potential friend, but one that wouldn't even articulate why she should be trusted. She never opened up and confided in Andrea, even when doing so meant being able to continue their relationship, and they both payed for it.

If I can put my two cents in: (if not, scroll past :) )

Laurie Holden has said it in interviews which really isn't fair to use to inform our views but you can't unring a bell.

I like the insight about using it as ammunition.

I think Michonne can read people as well as Rick but she doesn't realize Andrea cannot. There's definitely a communication breakdown between them, I just don't see a mean spirit in either of them. It's just how things can get in desperate situations. I can't hope that we will get too much more on their relationship this season, maybe a truce between them, but I do hope that Season 4 gets more character development as promised by Gimple.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

This is my dilemma with Andrea. She's got terrible judgment in people versus Rick who's got everyone's number straight away. I love how she doesn't give up but it's excruciating watch her work it through. I love Laurie Holden and her work even though it brings me so much heart ache.

But I think that's a sign of good writing. When you have a character that evokes an emotion in you, whether it be admiration, disgust, disappointment, frustration... Otherwise, what's the point?
I think her character is fickle, is confused, is confusing, I don't think it's out of character for a lot of women that I've known in my lifetime. A lot of women make self-destructive decisions. I think Andrea's got good intentions, just she's the opposite of Rick. She doesn't think it through. She's impulsive and acts on emotion rather than logic. And she's stubborn, as women tend to be, sometimes. Fits in with the whole lawyer persona. Here's a woman who was an independent person before the ZA. She felt her life had meaning, and she's trying to get it back to that level, it seems.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Stan's comments still applies.
There's no telling what would have gone down had Rick shot the Guv'nor then and there. Like Herschel said, "If this goes south, we'll be at each other's throats soon enough.
It wasn't out of character for Rick. He's not a hot-headed impulsive idiot.
They didn't paint anything into a corner, but you're pretty much dug in to your argument.

As I've said multiple times Rick had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Killing the Guv was easily his best option. No one has come up with a viable worse case scenario that would outweigh the potential benefits of killing the Guv. There was no reason for Rick not to kill the Guv. It wouldn't have been rash or reckless and could only have served to save more lives in the long run. The only reason he didn't was because there were 3 more episodes.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

And I have to admit - his point about the short knife IS valid, and others have mentioned it in this thread. It is a tiny little knife, and I'm not sure how it manages to be very effective for killing walkers. Oh well.

The whole knife thing is something we're just going to have to go along with so we can enjoy the show. The first time I saw Rick do that, I thought "Ahh bulls##t."

The human skull is rather robust. Mine is for sure. When I was a cop and running the meatwagon, I saw some head injuries inflicted with a knife. Some of them were nasty after the blade skidded along the bone. While a big flap of scalp hanging loose with blood pouring everywhere is impressive, it ain't fatal. The density of the bone and curvature of the skull naturally resists punctures. It happens, but it's rare.

I don't think a short blade like Andrea was using would prove instantly fatal on even a living person if you were able to penetrate the skull by some miracle. So we're just going to have to say walker skulls are soft and squishy and their brains are easily damaged. For our own peace of mind we just have to munch our popcorn and let it go.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

But I think that's a sign of good writing. When you have a character that evokes an emotion in you, whether it be admiration, disgust, disappointment, frustration... Otherwise, what's the point?
I think her character is fickle, is confused, is confusing, I don't think it's out of character for a lot of women that I've known in my lifetime. A lot of women make self-destructive decisions. I think Andrea's got good intentions, just she's the opposite of Rick. She doesn't think it through. She's impulsive and acts on emotion rather than logic. And she's stubborn, as women tend to be, sometimes. Fits in with the whole lawyer persona. Here's a woman who was an independent person before the ZA. She felt her life had meaning, and she's trying to get it back to that level, it seems.

I totally agree!

And yes, I do think that's good writing. Well, it's a good collaboration between the writers and actors. I think that may be why there's uneven quality in the series because sometimes it's good writing, period and other times it's good because the actor has thoroughly developed their character. Either way, I'm having a great time with this show, I'll take it any way I can get it! :zombie02:

Things&Stuff

Things&Stuff

Lurker

• Members

As I've said multiple times Rick had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I think Rick is scared and close to running. He's just been getting his sanity back and now he's got this nutcase banging on the door. I think he's tired and doesn't want to get like Morgan so he's seriously thinking of taking the easy way out even though his gut is telling him it's a bad idea. Hysterical. Not a word used with men much, but I think there's desperation verging on hysteria bubbling under Rick's surface.

Bottom line is that he knows the Governor isn't going to leave them alone. If Lori were alive he'd be talking this over with her. He wants a sure thing and he's alone in the middle of this wonderful loving family they've become. He need reassurance but she's not there any more. Maybe Herschel can step up, maybe not but it's an interesting process.

Leela

Leela

Biter

• Members
  • LocationRick Grimes

I really hope Milton joins the group - considering the fact that the show is probably gonna lose another few cast members before the season ends, the group will need people like Milton or Tyreese.

Milton would figure out a way to restore power to the prison and him and Glenn would spend hours and hours playing World of Warcraft.

I'm for it :zombiethumbsup:

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

I think Rick is scared and close to running. He's just been getting his sanity back and now he's got this nutcase banging on the door. I think he's tired and doesn't want to get like Morgan so he's seriously thinking of taking the easy way out even though his gut is telling him it's a bad idea. Hysterical. Not a word used with men much, but I think there's desperation verging on hysteria bubbling under Rick's surface.

Bottom line is that he knows the Governor isn't going to leave them alone. If Lori were alive he'd be talking this over with her. He wants a sure thing and he's alone in the middle of this wonderful loving family they've become. He need reassurance but she's not there any more. Maybe Herschel can step up, maybe not but it's an interesting process.

This is something I might be able to get behind. If he's simply doubting himself and his mind is failing him, it would explain why he's hesitant to take the actions he knows he should. His insanity would also explain his why he'd be taking the Guv's Michonne proposal seriously. Then again... insanity is kind of a flimsy plot device... you could have the character do literally anything and just excuse it with a "well he's crazy". But still Rick has been cracking because of the pressure... so in a high pressure situation like this one it might make sense for him to be afraid to act and be decisive despite the potential gain.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members
Rick had no way of knowing if the gov had generals who could have launched an immediate attack if something happened to him. Rick at least bought them time to plan, to decide if they will stay and fight or try to haul ass. He definitely saved lives BY NOT pulling that trigger.

As I've said multiple times Rick had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Killing the Guv was easily his best option. No one has come up with a viable worse case scenario that would outweigh the potential benefits of killing the Guv. There was no reason for Rick not to kill the Guv. It wouldn't have been rash or reckless and could only have served to save more lives in the long run. The only reason he didn't was because there were 3 more episodes.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Rick had no way of knowing if the gov had generals who could have launched an immediate attack if something happened to him. Rick at least bought them time to plan, to decide if they will stay and fight or try to haul ass. He definitely saved lives BY NOT pulling that trigger.

So you don't think Rick took the time to scout the area to make sure he wasn't walking into a death trap? The only precautions the Guv could have had that Rick might not have seen would be a couple of snipers possibly hiding in the woods anything bigger and they wouldn't be able to go undetected. A car by the exit for a quick get away removes that risk. And when the Guv inevitably does attack and kills a shitton of Rick's people we'll see how many lives he saved by not eliminating the threat he he had the chance.

ShaneWalsh

ShaneWalsh

S-mart Employee

• Members
Fckking Governer YOu creepy motheryard!!

Hialmar

Hialmar

Infected

• Members

The whole knife thing is something we're just going to have to go along with so we can enjoy the show. The first time I saw Rick do that, I thought "Ahh bulls##t."

The human skull is rather robust. Mine is for sure. When I was a cop and running the meatwagon, I saw some head injuries inflicted with a knife. Some of them were nasty after the blade skidded along the bone. While a big flap of scalp hanging loose with blood pouring everywhere is impressive, it ain't fatal. The density of the bone and curvature of the skull naturally resists punctures. It happens, but it's rare.

I don't think a short blade like Andrea was using would prove instantly fatal on even a living person if you were able to penetrate the skull by some miracle. So we're just going to have to say walker skulls are soft and squishy and their brains are easily damaged. For our own peace of mind we just have to munch our popcorn and let it go.

The one problem with this theory on the knife is that I have noticed that walker skulls appear in general to be really soft for some reason. Not many if any folks walking around today that would have their skulls just burst the way the walkers do or be soe easily penetrated.

So far I believe we have seen them get stomped flat with one or two good kicks, various folks being able to ram pipes or other implements right through foreheads and we have seen one skull just burst while getting a trunk slammed on it. That is just not going to happen unless there is some inherent weakness in the skull in this story line maybe becuase otherwise it becomes too difflicult for our heroes to kill the walkers.

If that is the case in those other instances then I have no problem that Andrea's knife can do the same. It looks like a lock-blade hunting knife to me with maybe a 4" blade or so, so more than long enough to get into the brain and deal a fatal blow if it does penetrate the skull.

Cammi

Cammi

S-mart Employee

• Members

Is TG hiding a bite?

Good question!!!!! I didn't notice anything odd, though something did look shady when he stopped to talk to Milton on the way in. I thought it was because he was hiding Andrea in the car, but with having all those walkers on him, it's quite possible that he got bitten. Maybe he'll have Milton do an amputation since Milton knows it worked for Hershel.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Yeah, I have never understood the soft skull thing. Sure, the walkers are rotting away, but when carcasses rot away(as I'm certain you know), their bones don't go soft and squishy. Eventually, like a LONG time later, they go brittle. So I guess that is just a big fat loop hole in the show. I kind of roll my eyes every time I see them squish a walker head like a grape..but I'm just not the type to be overly bothered. I just roll my eyes and move on!

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Yeah, I have never understood the soft skull thing. Sure, the walkers are rotting away, but when carcasses rot away(as I'm certain you know), their bones don't go soft and squishy. Eventually, like a LONG time later, they go brittle. So I guess that is just a big fat loop hole in the show. I kind of roll my eyes every time I see them squish a walker head like a grape..but I'm just not the type to be overly bothered. I just roll my eyes and move on!

Ok, I ran this by my good friend who is a forensic anthropologist. (No, he does not watch the show, but I'm working on him!) He said that during the first few months of the outbreak, yes, expecting skulls to implode like paper mache is unrealistic, but that after a year of essentially decomposing out in the elements, the bones throughout the body will become more porous as the skin rots away. Add to that an unknown pathogen that could speed the wasting process if the corpse does not feed adaquately, and easily perforated and/or shattered skulls are not only possible, but likely.

Not an expert myself, just relaying what the only expert I know had to say.
"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
Maybe we will have to assume that the zombie "infection" softens the bones, especially the skull. ;)

I liked this episode a lot, though I wouldn't rate it as excellent. Good performances, a gripping story and a great score that really ratcheted up the tension.

I did find Prey a bit predictable in places. When Andrea shut the door on the Governor and the walkers, why would we the audience assume he was killed (remember Andrew? - fool me once......). The minute we saw Andrea outside the prison I knew TG would grab her; otherwise in the next scene after the factory she would have been inside telling the group her tale. And we all knew that she'd be in the torture chair.

I don't blame Andrea for running along the road - it was probably faster and at least she could see walkers in advance. She heard the Governor's car in plenty of time to get off the road and it was just bad luck she met walkers. Andrea is certainly a badass zombie killer. Remind me again about how Michonne kept her alive all winter? There certainly seems to be less Andrea hate being expressed on this board this week.

My other quibble is that the Governor has devolved into a cartoony, sterotypical villain of no subtlety or depth. He could have been much more.

I assumed that since TG knew exactly where she was going and probably had a much better knowledge of the countryside than Andrea did, it was not too hard to locate her. But why did Andrea go into that building again? Though I've never understood why so many people died at their place of work, Andrea should know that apparently every building is infested.

Milton is one of my favourite characters, a guy who has survived this long (but not much longer I fear) by using his brain and letting other people do the zombie killing. So it's interesting to see him step up and do his best to make things better. Unlike TG's other flunkies like Martinez and the bowman, Milton is still trying.

And, after decades of people watching, I would say that men are just as illogical, prone to make decisions based on emotion and as self-destructive as women are, the characters of TWD included. The difference is that women are more open about it.

I'd also say that Andrea is completely understandable. She thought she was on to a good thing, was loth to believe it was not and having finally accepted that, was trying to keep the peace. Now she is doing what she can prevent a slaughter, at great risk to herself.

I have no idea what will happen next week but if Andrea is raped and tortured and it's depicted at all graphically, I will be pushing the off button on TWD for good. I always thought this day might well come and my husband now only watches because I do so he won't care. IMO next week is where TPTB get to show whether they are making an adult drama or a teen slasher flick.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

So you don't think Rick took the time to scout the area to make sure he wasn't walking into a death trap? The only precautions the Guv could have had that Rick might not have seen would be a couple of snipers possibly hiding in the woods anything bigger and they wouldn't be able to go undetected. A car by the exit for a quick get away removes that risk. And when the Guv inevitably does attack and kills a shitton of Rick's people we'll see how many lives he saved by not eliminating the threat he he had the chance.

During the parley, there is a camera angle from on top of both the men. A vantage point with a clear shot of Rick. I think it's possible he had a man in the ceiling or upper level who would have taken Rick out as soon as he made a sudden move.

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla
Excellent episode (I know, I'm late!)!!!!

I felt that anything could have happened, some zombie biting the Governor, the Governor killing Andrea... anything! And I also loved what happened to Tyreese' group. Great.

The season finale must be dynamite! :zombie02:
Make love not war!

ProPain

ProPain

Infected

• Members
Don't know if anyone has touched on this but how much time is passing.The Gov said Andrea was out all winter alone. When she escapes Woodbury,leaves are falling and changing colors. WTF am I missing somthing.Did the writers overlook this or has another year almost passed this season

Matt G

Matt G

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOhio
He was referring to when her and michonne at the end of the second season were out there together without mentioning michonne because he wanted to paint her as unstable to Tyreese and his group

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Don't know if anyone has touched on this but how much time is passing.The Gov said Andrea was out all winter alone. When she escapes Woodbury,leaves are falling and changing colors. WTF am I missing somthing.Did the writers overlook this or has another year almost passed this season

2 (almost 3) seasons passed in between season 2 and 3 (about 8 months) So if the season has taken place over the course a little under a month or so they'd be at the end of summer, beginning of fall.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

Rick may have scouted the area the meeting was taking place in, but that isn't what was said. Rick has no way of knowing that the Gov doesn't have a few men at the prison already just waiting on a go ahead to open fire and assault. There have been many theories posited as to why Rick just didn't shoot the Governor, and many of those have been plausible. The real problem in this argument is that you aren't allowing the possibility that you aren't correct. You have not tried to see the points being made in any post arguing against you, and dismiss any good points that are made. It would also help if you didn't confuse your personal opinions with facts.

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony
Why are we talking about Rick not shooting the Governor at the peace talk? Since that happened in the last episode, maybe we should move that conversation here.

There are lots of talking points for the episode Prey. There's no reason to hijack the thread to talk about something that should have happened in Arrow on the Doorpost.
"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

Why are we talking about Rick not shooting the Governor at the peace talk? Since that happened in the last episode, maybe we should move that conversation here.

There are lots of talking points for the episode Prey. There's no reason to hijack the thread to talk about something that should have happened in Arrow on the Doorpost.

Thank you. I kind of got caught up in that myself.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

I have never been an Andrea fan but after reading your analysis, I like her more. While she has her flaws, in many ways she is a very strong woman and she's certainly a capable zombie fighter. As an outsider, it is easy to criticize her for falling under the Woodbury spell. She thought she had found a safe place and wanted to believe in it, so she justified the warning signs. She likes strong men so her attractions to Shane and TG are understandable. If Shane hadn't been so obsessed with Lori, Andrea and Shane would have made a good couple. TG appeared to be strong but is merely very adept at hiding his insanity, at least until he completely lost his grip. While I still find her annoying most of the time, I have a lot more respect for her now.

+1, Eddie :)
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!