The Walking Dead Season 3 Ep 13 - Arrow On The Doorpost

rick the governor the walking dead

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 9 - Arrow on the Door (218 )

What did you think of this weeks show?

1. Excellent (80 [36.70%] - )

36.70%

2. Good- Some Critiques (95 [43.58%] - )

43.58%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (33 [15.14%] - )

15.14%

4. Poor (10 [4.59%] - )

4.59%

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy

My first thought was that the governor had somebody spying on the prison.

They've been spying on them since ep 11.

Also, who else loved that kill by Daryl with the knife? A little cheesy but that was badass!

Yelnots

Yelnots

Biter

• Members
  • LocationToronto.

I feel the exact same way.

I had an accident kid! :(
It's better than not being able to math.. Aha! Oh wait, I can't either.

There was way too much left for assumption in this episode.
Merle look good in his new digs, I gada admit.
     “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.”

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Very good episode. Not much in the way of action, but a lot of dramatic tension and dialogue. It had a calm before the storm sort of vibe.

As soon as the governor said, "we have a lot to talk about" I wanted Rick to be all like "no we don't bitch!" And whip out his gun and shoot him. I knew there was no way that this was gonna happen though..

Where does the guv get his never ending supply of whiskey??

Loved the scene between Milton and Hershel! It cracked me up!

Really liked the walker killing bonding time between Daryl and Martinez as well.

I understand why Merle wanted to go and protect Daryl, but that was a stupid thing to even suggest.

Prison scenes were okay, but nothing fantastic. The fight between Merle and Glenn was pretty good. I like how the girls had to break them up. I liked how Beth fired the gun in the air to stop them as well.

The scene between Glenn and Maggie was sweet, but it was a bit excessive.

Some pretty funny lines with the characters teasing each other.

Overall good episode!

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that I forgot to mention, but there's my review!

The Calm before the Storm is a perfect way to describe this episode.
I enjoyed Rick and the Guv's interactions. I also enjoyed seeing both sides interact, from Hershel and Milton to Daryl and Martinez. They realized that they are all just people trying to survive and they shouldn't necessarily be at war with each other, under different circumstances.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
It was a pretty good episode for me.

The standout scenes for me were the Daryl/Martinez ones for sure. I loved it. Martinez was an interesting character in the comics so it's nice to see him finally get some decent dialogue.

The Hershel/Milton scenes were cool too. I've hated Milton since the beginning but this was the first episode I actually enjoyed him, and he is finally turning against the Governor's ways. It should be very interesting to see how his character ends up.

I LOVED that Beth was the one to put an end to the Merle/Glenn fight, though I do wish she had some dialogue in that scene instead of being completely silent.

The Maggie/Glenn scene was too random for me and seemed like the writers threw in the sex just for sex. They're pulling a Game of Thrones on us. I thought at the time that they were showing the sex scene to give Merle a way to escape while Maggie wasn't keeping watch, but nope.

I cannot wait for the next 3 episodes.

CreepMeOut

CreepMeOut

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationToronto
It was an O.K episode but definitely not one of the better ones. The sex scene between Glen and Maggie could have been toned down alittle and I didnt like how they barley showed Carol!
The scenes between TG/ Rick and Daryl/ Martinez felt very homoerotic, but that's not a complaint though :P

stickoffury412

stickoffury412

Survivor

• Banned
  • LocationCarol's hand

It was a pretty good episode for me.

The standout scenes for me were the Daryl/Martinez ones for sure. I loved it. Martinez was an interesting character in the comics so it's nice to see him finally get some decent dialogue.

The Hershel/Milton scenes were cool too. I've hated Milton since the beginning but this was the first episode I actually enjoyed him, and he is finally turning against the Governor's ways. It should be very interesting to see how his character ends up.

I LOVED that Beth was the one to put an end to the Merle/Glenn fight, though I do wish she had some dialogue in that scene instead of being completely silent.

The Maggie/Glenn scene was too random for me and seemed like the writers threw in the sex just for sex. They're pulling a Game of Thrones on us. I thought at the time that they were showing the sex scene to give Merle a way to escape while Maggie wasn't keeping watch, but nope.

I cannot wait for the next 3 episodes.

I liked Beth's scene too. But I like Beth :) . I think the purpose was to kind of show shes ready to fight too. Especially with the angry face she made after she shot it. It was kind of funny though. But I'm glad shes been getting more I guess you can say assertive or spunky.

We haven't seen much of beth killing anything. Shes had a few kills though. In episode 10 when the gov unleashed the van zombies she ran out with a gun. And she killed a few in the premiere.

I hope she sticks around/gets to kill some more zombies and maybe a few woodbury people

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
Good one, but merely a build up to the finale.
Nice to see Rick isn't so easily fooled. Funny how the Governor didn't take the pistol he had strapped to the table after he and Rick parted ways. Probably leaving it there, counting on meeting (and killing) Rick in two days.
I'd thought the governor would've ordered an assault on the prison during the "peace-talks" and then take Rick and company out... or at the same time.
Glenn and Maggie getting it on... yeah I thought it would be a "distraction" for Merle's sneaking out... nope just a steamy filler.
I think Merle was right in going over and taking care of business immediately. He knows what kind of man the Governor is and also he was right in telling Carl that his daddy's head would end up on a pike. This isn't the time to sugar-coat anything.
Rick should've shot the governor dead when he said all he wanted was their surrender, then shot him when he asked for Michonne. Not out of loyalty to the woman but the fact that he was wanting a "blood truce" or sacrifice. Like Rick told Tony at the bar.. "it ain't gonna happen".

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada
I don't see why anyone is saying anything against Andrea for this episode - she obviously is past her naive phase. The scene with Hershel showed this, she just hasn't figured a way out yet.

I thought it was a pretty darn good episode. Yeah, there was a lot of talking, but I thought the dialog was decently written. A few things:

- Rick is an intense guy..I think he would make me nervous if I was the Governor. And I love Andrew Lincoln. How did he manage to make that moment with the Guv (where he talks about his wife dying in an accident) emotional? But he did, I choked up for a moment just knowing he was struggling with all his Lori guilt and sadness. *sigh*

- I seriously hope Rick never makes the move to trade Michonne for their "freedom". I know he's scared, but he needs to weigh what he knows about the Governor against what the G. said. Talk to Merle about it...Rick already has enough information to realise it was never just about Michonne. On another note, I did like the G/Rick interaction..tense stuff. Can't wait for the Guv to die...

- Daryl/Martinez interaction was alright. I don't care about Martinez, we don't need another tough guy, and I prefer scenes with Daryl that don't revolve around how much of a ninja he is. It just seems..kinda silly. I'd rather Daryl feel secure enough in his capabilities that he doesn't need to prove anything. He is insecure in a lot of ways, but not about his "skillz".

- Where the heck was Carol?! I do not approve!

- Loved the Hershel scenes, with Milton, with Andrea, and with Rick. He MUST not die!

- Biggest thing I disliked was the sex scene. I was just.."...huh?" It could have been cut in half and been just fine, but whatever.

- Not sure what to think about Merle. Sometimes I think there is just a hole or two in how he was written, and other times I think there is actually something fishy about him.

Bronxsta

Bronxsta

Infected

• Members
Anyone else think for a second that the whiskey was drugged or poisoned? Especially when the Gov pauses for a moment after Rick drinks before taking his drink.

afc

afc

Infected

• Members
Is it possible the Governor is spying on the group somehow? In his meeting with Rick in tonight's episode, the Governor noted that Rick's group had recently acquired a substantial cache of weapons -- I took this to mean the guns they took from Morgan in last week's episode. But who, besides Morgan and the folks in the prison, could possibly know about this? Where is he getting this information? Is someone from Woodbury tailing them? Is Morgan in cahoots with the Governor? Or is someone in the prison an informant? If so, who is it and how are they communicating?

mr teaspoon

mr teaspoon

Roamer

• Members
Pretty meh episode (as in, the usual level of bad - not egregiously terrible, but definitely not good).

Read this on AICN, pretty much agree.

What was the point of using hand signs in the first promo? They drove up in a car and Meryl's bike with loud pipes echoing all over the place, it's not like they were being super dooper stealthy to begin with. If you wanted to sneak up park farther out then walk in but the writers wanted to show something "cool" looking I guess and as usual the unthoughtful half measures make the show look silly.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members
I voted fair for this episode.
1. My husband and I were confused at the beginning thinking we missed an episode? Guess they wanted to get straight to the point with this meeting but it was just too all over the place.

2. Why bring one legged Hershel to this? A shoot out couldve happened and walkers couldve swarmed the place. It didn't make sense to me to bring him along and made him drive.

3. Andrea was being an idiot again. She thought she's somebody important to the governor and felt she was relevant enough to be a part of the negotiation until she was dismissed by her boyfriend who made her look like a fool. After her chat with Hershel I really thought she'd jump in Ricks jeep instead of going back to Woodbury. Gosh I can't stand her.

4. Ricks and the governors convo was stretched way too long. What they talked about couldve been done in 5 mins. And what happened to the gun that was taped to the table??

5. Agree that the scene with Maggie and Glenn was totally unnecessary. They wanted to show us they've made up, that's great but why the extended sex scene?

Ok I'm done for tonight :)

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Anyone else think for a second that the whiskey was drugged or poisoned? Especially when the Gov pauses for a moment after Rick drinks before taking his drink.

It crossed my mind, but I actually think he was just assessing how much/in what way his words were effecting Rick. I'm not even sure his story about his wife was true, it sounded just so tailored to Rick's situation, that I wondered if the whole thing was a manipulation to make Rick feel like the Guv actually has a heart. The Governor is such a master manipulator, I think he was just noticing - and being pleased - with how much his little story hit Rick.(unless I'm remembering wrong, and that wasn't when Rick took his drink..)

Zombie chick - Andrea couldn't "jump in Rick's jeep" for exactly the reason Hershel stated - it would settle things right then and there, as in...it would mean war for certain. Of course, there will be war for certain either way, but she still wants to avoid shedding innocent blood. I don't really fault her for that. :srug:

Drunktard

Drunktard

S-mart Employee

• Members
Im surprised so many people said it wasn't such a good episode. For me it was awesome.
Hershel and Milton scene was one of the funniest so far.
Daryl and Martinez showing off with those zombie kills was great, and they could totally be bros if it weren't for the war between Rick and the Gov.

Rick and the Governor's talk was intense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time thinking they could start shooting at each other at any time.
The sex scene was unnecessary, but Ill never complain about naked Maggie :wub:

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania
Judging by Shupert's absence in this episode, I'd wage my bets that the Governor has him perched nearby the prison with some good binoculars, keeping a good eye out on the prison. I'ts also plausible that the Governor potentially has goons switching out on turns.

There's no way that any of the prison group are in contact with the Governor or that Morgan is in cahoots with him.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Roamer

• Members

Alright episode, cool to see Rick and the Gov have face time with each other.

Also maybe I'm looking too far into this but did anyone notice the governor when referring to merle, said "he gets the dirty jobs done" with a smile. I know it's a reach but it could be a possible hint at a betrayal by merle that some were speculating. Again i doubt it with Darly being his brother and all but just speculating.

No. Y'all need to get this out of your heads.

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana
My opinion is that someone from Woodbury is tailing them and maybe watching them from the woods outside the prison and saw them unload the car with the weapons in them. I don't think anyone in the prison is an informant nor do I think Morgan provided any info. to TG as I believe Morgan would've just shot whoever turned up in Kings County dead.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members
P.s. one more thing, Andrea is such a moron for telling the governor about Judith and Shane etc. exposing Ricks weakness. It's none of her business and not her place to tell not to mention TG did not need to know about ricks personal life. I hate Andrea so much, it made me mad.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
as eloquently put by anyone else. No spies in Rick's group. The governor had someone on Recon duty.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

P.s. one more thing, Andrea is such a moron for telling the governor about Judith and Shane etc. exposing Ricks weakness. It's none of her business and not her place to tell not to mention TG did not need to know about ricks personal life. I hate Andrea so much, it made me mad.

I'm sure that she told him before she realized that he was a threat to Rick's group. It wasn't done maliciously.

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • LocationUp the Academy

I'm sure that she told him before she realized that he was a threat to Rick's group. It wasn't done maliciously.

So you mean like how Chris Hardwick said where Guv and Andrea did it and then she told him everything? Lol, I cracked so bad when I heard that XD

wukong

wukong

Infected

• Members
Maggie and Glenn sex scene...I remember being ~20 ... Yep, careless, hormonal, throw caution to the wind, right now and maybe several times OK sure. That is what 20 year olds do biologically this is prime sex time.

This scene was not gratuitousness at all... and comics comparison spoiler:
Spoiler

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama
Last week was hard to follow but this was pretty darn good. It is hard to take the Michonne offer serious even if we didn't know that the Gov plans to kill them all anyway. Consequently the attempt to build suspense over what his decision will be is sort of weak.

Other than that it was well paced, well written and well acted by all.
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

- I seriously hope Rick never makes the move to trade Michonne for their "freedom". I know he's scared, but he needs to weigh what he knows about the Governor against what the G. said. Talk to Merle about it...Rick already has enough information to realise it was never just about Michonne. On another note, I did like the G/Rick interaction..tense stuff. Can't wait for the Guv to die...

God that would be so idiotic on Rick's part to go along with the governor's proposal.

The governor basically tells him "I'm the kind of guy who will kill your infant daughter for no good reason but if you give me Michonne you can trust me to leave you alone."

Uh no.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Tay

Tay

Infected

• Members
1. I didn't like how they started off with the Rick / Governor confrontation. I would've liked to know how much time passed between last episode and now.

2. The Darryl / Martinez moments were great

3. It kinda seems like Merle may be somehow working for the Governor

4. I think Andrea or Milton will kill the Governor

5. The music at the end was great

6. Andrea wakes up after she gets told to step aside by the Governor? That's pathetic!!

7. Forcing Rick to make a decision whether to give up Michonne isn't good writing to me. I mean sure it creates suspense, but either way Rick is going to make a decision no one will like.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!